test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Arc client or Steam client for star trek online?

Which one is Better for downloading games? I had star trek online for steam but seems to be crashing and failing a lot so I am trying with arc client to see how I do. What do you prefer? Does Arc take up more memory than steam?

Comments

• Options
    warmaker001bwarmaker001b Member Posts: 9,205 Arc User
    Well, I'm using the old school install ;)

Between ARC vs Steam, I would go with Steam since it has a very wide aspect to PC gaming. I have not extensively used ARC except to claim some code long ago (for the Khan outfit). But Steam OTOH has a huge library of games for you to browse/purchase with and not just limited to STO.
    XzRTofz.gif
  • Options
    welfarebob#3087 welfarebob Member Posts: 42 Arc User
    I'm trying ARC to see how the latency is for when I play STO honestly.. I am not really a fan of steam that much. I like steam but just an opinion though..
  • Options
    sheldonlcoopersheldonlcooper Member Posts: 4,042 Arc User
    I stand alone!
    Captain Jean-Luc Picard: "We think we've come so far. Torture of heretics, burning of witches, it's all ancient history. Then - before you can blink an eye - suddenly it threatens to start all over again."

"With the first link, the chain is forged. The first speech censured, the first thought forbidden, the first freedom denied, chains us all irrevocably."

• Options
    gfreeman98gfreeman98 Member Posts: 1,200 Arc User
    Just to play STO: neither. Use the direct launcher.

For "downloading games" there's only one right answer: Steam. Huge library with literally thousands of games.
    The Arc selection is just the few games that PWE supports. That's like 20.
    screenshot_2015-03-01-resize4.png
  • Options
    hunteralpha84hunteralpha84 Member Posts: 524 Arc User
    I use steam. Never had any issues with STO.

Never tried arc as I've not had any reason to.
  • Options
    duncanidaho11duncanidaho11 Member Posts: 7,867 Arc User
    I just shortcut directly to the application. No additional platform needed after the first install. If I had to choose between them though I'd go with Arc. It's "time played" counter isn't the first thing you see when launching the game. :P
    Bipedal mammal and senior Foundry author.
    Notable missions: Apex [AEI], Gemini [SSF], Trident [AEI], Evolution's Smile [SSF], Transcendence
    Looking for something new to play? I've started building Foundry missions again in visual novel form!
  • Options
    kodachikunokodachikuno Member Posts: 6,020 Arc User1
    wont use arc, not a wanted or needed thing, so I vote steam
  • Options
    welfarebob#3087 welfarebob Member Posts: 42 Arc User
    Well, seems arc is meant for star trek online
  • Options
    dirlettiadirlettia Member Posts: 1,632 Arc User
    For STO it makes no difference if you go to ARC or STEAM as you still end up with the same stand alone launcher and update in the same way. Neither is required once the game launcher is on the computer.

Still waiting to be able to use forum titles
  • Options
    alcyoneserenealcyoneserene Member Posts: 2,412 Arc User
    Direct DVD for installation, or Arc, then direct launch without 3rd party nonsense.

I've had problems with Steam interfering with joystick to keyboard/mouse emulation, and porting over the Arc install into Steam, and then back again resulted in some game bugs, forcing a complete reinstallation.
    Y945Yzx.jpg
    Devs: Provide the option to Turn OFF full screen flashes from enemy ship explosions
    · ♥ · ◦.¸¸. ◦'¯`·. (Ɏ) V A N U _ S O V E R E I G N T Y (Ɏ) .·´¯'◦.¸¸. ◦ · ♡ ·
    «» \▼/ T E R R A N ¦ R E P U B L I C \▼/ «»
    ﴾﴿ ₪ṩ ||| N A N I T E S Y S T E M S : B L A C K | O P S ||| ₪ṩ ﴾﴿
  • Options
    rattler2rattler2 Member Posts: 58,018 Community Moderator
    I run through Steam myself. Only have ARC for promo codes.
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
  • Options
    ltminnsltminns Member Posts: 12,569 Arc User
    Ditto, Steam to play, Arc for codes and bonuses and such.
    'But to be logical is not to be right', and 'nothing' on God's earth could ever 'make it' right!'
    Judge Dan Haywood
    'As l speak now, the words are forming in my head.
    l don't know.
    l really don't know what l'm about to say, except l have a feeling about it.
    That l must repeat the words that come without my knowledge.'
    Lt. Philip J. Minns
  • Options
    cidjackcidjack Member Posts: 2,017 Arc User
    I only use Arc. Works well for me.
    Armada: Multiplying fleet projects in need of dilithium by 13."
    95bced8038c91ec6f880d510e6fd302f366a776c4c5761e5f7931d491667a45e.jpgvia Imgflip Meme Generator
  • Options
    gabeoz1gabeoz1 Member Posts: 161 Arc User
    I would go for Arc, the STO launcher for steam has caused me many crashing issues in the past.
  • Options
    rooster707rooster707 Member Posts: 901 Arc User
    Steam.

/10chars
    76561198032353876.png
  • Options
    ltminnsltminns Member Posts: 12,569 Arc User
    There is no ten character minimum with the Vanilla Forums.
    'But to be logical is not to be right', and 'nothing' on God's earth could ever 'make it' right!'
    Judge Dan Haywood
    'As l speak now, the words are forming in my head.
    l don't know.
    l really don't know what l'm about to say, except l have a feeling about it.
    That l must repeat the words that come without my knowledge.'
    Lt. Philip J. Minns
  • Options
    zisko#6191 zisko Member Posts: 49 Arc User
    well I use steam, I can't find the original installer either way is up to you. I only log in to arc for the freebies and that it pretty much it, arc is the only software that is collecting dust in my computer.
  • Options
    jarvisandalfredjarvisandalfred Member Posts: 1,549 Bug Hunter
    ltminns wrote: »

TIL
    SCM - Crystal C. (S) - [00:12] DMG(DPS) - @jarvisandalfred: 8.63M(713.16K) - Fed Sci

SCM - Hive (S) - [02:31] DMG(DPS) - @jarvisandalfred: 30.62M(204.66K) - Fed Sci

Tacs are overrated.

Game's best wiki

Build questions? Look here!
  • Options
    snipe048snipe048 Member Posts: 168 Arc User
    Steam for play, Arc for codes 1 time i think.

Founder and Current CO of Gamma Strike Force

Player since December 2009
  • Options
    horizons2052horizons2052 Member Posts: 184 Arc User
    bjorg87 wrote: »
    Which one is Better for downloading games? I had star trek online for steam but seems to be crashing and failing a lot so I am trying with arc client to see how I do. What do you prefer? Does Arc take up more memory than steam?

Neither.

• Options
    ufpterrellufpterrell Member Posts: 736 Arc User
    I did have the stand alone install but switched to Steam around season 7/8 and it's ok. Lots of people have a problem with Steam, which is fair enough, each to their own I guess. Me personally, never had any issues with it. Good prices on Games when the sales are on, nice selection of Indie games and their Greenlight program (Kerbal Space Program FTW) plus it allows me to manage all my games from a single launcher so yeah, what's not to like.
    Terrell.png

Looking for a dedicated Star Trek community? Visit www.ufplanets.com for details.
  • Options
    seaofsorrowsseaofsorrows Member Posts: 10,918 Arc User
    edited November 2015
    A few things..

Rather you download the game through Steam, Arc or Stand Alone makes no difference.. none.

All methods install the exact same game, same files, save everything. Between Steam and Arc, the only thing different is the Overlay. My personal preference is Steam.

You can download the game with either platform and play the game as a Stand Alone. You don't need the old 'stand alone installer.' When you download the game using Steam for example, it saves the install in Steam\SteamApps\Common\Star Trek Online.

You can run the game right out of that folder by running the .exe file. You don't need to launch Steam to play. Same thing with Arc, the game will run right out of the folder without launching Arc.

There is no difference in game install, it's all up to what overlay (if any) you prefer. The only benefit I have seen either way is that when buying Zen through Steam using the Wallet it has more purchase options like the $5 option.

The choice is yours, but it's the exact same game either way.
    Insert witty signature line here.
  • Options
    rooster707rooster707 Member Posts: 901 Arc User
    ltminns wrote: »

Really? Nice.

Anyway, as people above me have said, Steam has thousands of games, while Arc only has PWE games. Also, as far as I know, you can get all those games on Steam too.
    76561198032353876.png
  • Options
    starswordcstarswordc Member Posts: 10,963 Arc User
    I only have Arc installed to redeem codes, and sometimes to buy Zen since the Steam Wallet integration breaks every once in a while.
    "Great War! / And I cannot take more! / Great tour! / I keep on marching on / I play the great score / There will be no encore / Great War! / The War to End All Wars"
    — Sabaton, "Great War"
    VZ9ASdg.png

Check out https://unitedfederationofpla.net/s/
  • Options
    chastity1337chastity1337 Member Posts: 1,606 Arc User
    ufpterrell wrote: »
    ...and their Greenlight program (Kerbal Space Program FTW)

oh yeah, I love KSP! Though I must say recent updates have made it far harder to play successfully. Re-entry is a screaming purple TRIBBLE these days :(

And I agree, Steam over ARC, if only because I trust Valve far, far more than PWE.

• Options
    grayfoxjamesgrayfoxjames Member Posts: 1,516 Arc User
    If your a Zen purchaser or promo code getter go with Arc it's their own platform and works best for those things anyway. If neither of those is the case doesn't really matter.
    Fleet Admiral Thomas Winston James a.k.a. The Grayfox
    Fleet Leader of:
    Liberty Task Force/Liberty Honor Guard
    Pride of the Federation/Pride of the Empire
    Liberty Guardians
    U.S.S. Liberty, NX-42813-L, T-6 Legendary Odyssey Class

Game Handle: Grayfox@GrayfoxJames
    Armada (STOFA Member Fleet): https://www.libertytaskforce.com/stofa
    Discord: https://discord.gg/bGp9N7z
    Twitter: STOFA@LTFGrayfox
    Email: CSDynamix@Hotmail.com
  • Options
    officerbatman81officerbatman81 Member Posts: 2,761 Arc User
    edited November 2015
    ARC.

I like how i also get my news, events, and basically any dev blog post that goes up has a advertisement on the STO launcher. (Edit: STO launcher irrelevant to ARC and subject at hand as you'll get it regardless of game launch method.)

I still don't understand why people vehemently hate ARC.
  • Options
    jarvisandalfredjarvisandalfred Member Posts: 1,549 Bug Hunter
    To everyone who uses Arc for code redemption purposes: http://www.arcgames.com/en/redeem
    SCM - Crystal C. (S) - [00:12] DMG(DPS) - @jarvisandalfred: 8.63M(713.16K) - Fed Sci

SCM - Hive (S) - [02:31] DMG(DPS) - @jarvisandalfred: 30.62M(204.66K) - Fed Sci

Tacs are overrated.

Game's best wiki

Build questions? Look here!
  • Options
    thegrandnagus1thegrandnagus1 Member Posts: 5,165 Arc User
    gfreeman98 wrote: »
    Just to play STO: neither. Use the direct launcher.

For "downloading games" there's only one right answer: Steam. Huge library with literally thousands of games.
    The Arc selection is just the few games that PWE supports. That's like 20.

This, on both counts.

The-Grand-Nagus

og9Zoh0.jpg
  • Options
    starswordcstarswordc Member Posts: 10,963 Arc User
    edited November 2015
    I still don't understand why people vehemently hate ARC.

Because it's yet another extra program to install on my computer that serves no real purpose other than to advertise games I'm never going to play and therefore don't give a damn about. I have the same opinion of CBS' decision to make the new series exclusive to CBS All Access. All these launcher wars and streaming service wars are great for the publishing company but do a cow patty's worth of good for the consumer.
    "Great War! / And I cannot take more! / Great tour! / I keep on marching on / I play the great score / There will be no encore / Great War! / The War to End All Wars"
    — Sabaton, "Great War"
    VZ9ASdg.png

Check out https://unitedfederationofpla.net/s/