test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

In light of the current shuttle events: Small craft deserve a makeover

angrytargangrytarg Member Posts: 11,001 Arc User
For a very simple reason: Originally, we actually had a thing going: "-S" equipment only feasible for small craft, not useable on regular craft which makes sense. The small craft beams were unique in the sense that they were the original omni beams and we even have two or so unique engines exclusively for small craft. But we never expanded on that - instead we simply can cram our capital ship sized warp cores and deflector arrays into small craft, rendering any feel of unique required strategy or equipment entirely obsolete. No mentioning of the pipe dream to have a small craft you can equip, foster and use as a support craft in combat that never came around, but I really think that part of the game would deserve more attention than just being a gimmicky event every year.

I would love to be able to salvage "-S" loot from mobs (micro torpedoes isntead of regular ones, shuttle weapons, shield arrays etc.) and maybe even have sets or uniques only obtainable as loot (you know, as hack & slay games used to have - I personally would rather hunt for items via loot instead of window shopping everything, but that's a different topic).

What do you think? pig-1.gif​​
lFC4bt2.gif
^ Memory Alpha.org is not canon. It's a open wiki with arbitrary rules. Only what can be cited from an episode is. ^
"No. Men do not roar. Women roar. Then they hurl heavy objects... and claw at you." -Worf, son of Mogh
"A filthy, mangy beast, but in its bony breast beat the heart of a warrior" - "faithful" (...) "but ever-ready to follow the call of the wild." - Martok, about a Targ
"That pig smelled horrid. A sweet-sour, extremely pungent odor. I showered and showered, and it took me a week to get rid of it!" - Robert Justman, appreciating Emmy-Lou

Comments

• Options
    captz1ppcaptz1pp Member Posts: 931 Arc User
    edited November 2015
    I've made more than one post about new shuttles to replace the old TNG & DS9 small crafts that Feds and Roms are still using, the Yellowstone*, Caitian Stalker, and Tiercel* have been good for a start, but i feel more can be considered.

*Which need their own interiors and(for Yellowstone)upgraded LCARS displays, even if cutscene only.
  • Options
    gradiigradii Member Posts: 2,824 Arc User
    No thanks. I'm happy with being able to decently gear my shuttles with my rep sets.

"He shall be my finest warrior, this generic man who was forced upon me.
    Like a badass I shall make him look, and in the furnace of war I shall forge him.
    he shall be of iron will and steely sinew.
    In great armour I shall clad him and with the mightiest weapons he shall be armed.
    He will be untouched by plague or disease; no sickness shall blight him.
    He shall have such tactics, strategies and machines that no foe will best him in battle.
    He is my answer to cryptic logic, he is the Defender of my Romulan Crew.
    He is Tovan Khev... and he shall know no fear."
  • Options
    angrytargangrytarg Member Posts: 11,001 Arc User
    ruinthefun wrote: »
    -S loot is actually exactly the same, statwise, as non-S loot, except that -S loot tends to be autoscaling, and of types that were not meant for unlimited use on real ships (360-beams). Of course, now that we have real 360-beams, they are certainly less noteworthy, but 360-beams are equip-one, whereas -S beams have no limitation.

As you said, what was unique for small craft is now available for everyone (adding more backdoors to slot more omni beams in the future). The "-S" equipment is completely obsolete since you can slot a VR mk IV or whatever and you are essentially better off than "-S" at lvl 60.

I feel we miss a whole "game" on shuttles and their equipment.​​
    lFC4bt2.gif
    ^ Memory Alpha.org is not canon. It's a open wiki with arbitrary rules. Only what can be cited from an episode is. ^
    "No. Men do not roar. Women roar. Then they hurl heavy objects... and claw at you." -Worf, son of Mogh
    "A filthy, mangy beast, but in its bony breast beat the heart of a warrior" - "faithful" (...) "but ever-ready to follow the call of the wild." - Martok, about a Targ
    "That pig smelled horrid. A sweet-sour, extremely pungent odor. I showered and showered, and it took me a week to get rid of it!" - Robert Justman, appreciating Emmy-Lou
  • Options
    ufpterrellufpterrell Member Posts: 736 Arc User
    Shuttles and fighters in general are rather lame as they stand. For one, the camera system isn't able to work with them right. You're either zoomed so far in you can count the rivets on the hull or zoomed so far out you can't see what's going on (especially true for the smaller shuttles).

I think it would be cool if instead of having omni beams etc we have a more "dogfight" style gameplay for shuttles. In the shows you always saw them trying hard to get in behind a target and blast them that way. Instead we have ship combat meant for much larger ships being copy pasted onto the shuttles and frankly it doesn't work very well. Why can't we "lock" onto our targets within a certain arc and fire on them then it would make the gameplay much more enjoyable. I've got some nice small craft including the Yellowstone and the Tholian Widow fighter but they never get used because the mechanics suck and the gameplay for them is utterly dull.
    Terrell.png

Looking for a dedicated Star Trek community? Visit www.ufplanets.com for details.
  • Options
    fovrelfovrel Member Posts: 1,448 Arc User
    The shuttle game should have a sphere of its own. So we have space, ground and shuttle or small craft or atmospheric combat. The Pilot tree does not belong in space but would be excelent in dogfighting, The small craft combat should resemble combat flight simulation, dogfighting, ground attack, bombing runs. The space game should stick more to a kind of naval combat.

Small craft should have indeed their own equipment. It should however be cheap and easy to get. It could be a fantastic sub game for PvP.

Thinking of it, ground and small craft combat could be combined. One team flies straffing runs on an object, the ground team has to shoot them down. Team A scores when they hit an object and destroy it, the defending team scores when they shoot someone down.
  • Options
    kayajaykayajay Member Posts: 1,990 Arc User
    You should be able to make a shuttle as devastating as a big ship, when it's just shuttles vs shuttles.
  • Options
    dsarisdsaris Member Posts: 369 Arc User
    Shuttles do indeed need an upgrade. They've been completely abandoned and are, for the most part, utterly useless. Need more console slots and more BoFF abilities.
  • Options
    mustrumridcully0mustrumridcully0 Member Posts: 12,963 Arc User
    ruinthefun wrote: »
    I think that they should add pilot moves to all shuttles to make flying them more interesting, seeing as there's pretty much nothing you can do except point it at the enemy and wait for something to die.
    Pilot Maneuvers would be cool. But maybe actually different shuttles could have different specialities. Pilot maneuver would feel great on a Delta Flyer or a fighter, but something like a Runabout - I could totally see that also as having the Inspiration abilities, or the Gather Intel abilities.

I guess the problem with Shuttles is that they have extremely low relevance in the overall game. They are a novelty/gimmick thing. Cryptic probably cannot even sell them really. So monetization could only be very indirect, like having shuttle events with special rewards (like Mirror Invasion) - but they coud just as well make them regular space ship events.
    Star Trek Online Advancement: You start with lowbie gear, you end with Lobi gear.
  • Options
    shadowwraith77shadowwraith77 Member Posts: 6,395 Arc User
    edited November 2015
    Shuttles are pretty good as they are, till they are used in an event against capital class vessels, that are way overly matched against them. [looking at you spire assault]

Post edited by shadowwraith77 on
    tumblr_nq9ec3BSAy1qj6sk2o2_500_zpspkqw0mmk.gif

Praetor of the -RTS- Romulan Tal Shiar fleet!

• Options
    flumfflumf Member Posts: 68 Arc User
    There needs to be more small craft specific content that people will play to justify them getting whole load-outs worth of small craft only equipment (weapons, deflectors, engines, cores, shields, and consoles.) Otherwise theres no real point in adding anything for small craft.
  • Options
    architect13architect13 Member Posts: 1,076 Arc User
    There are shuttles in the game?!?
    Have you tried the new forum on your phone?
  • Options
    kerygankerygan Member Posts: 254 Arc User
    i would add a Mir fighter to herald lockbox , as a drop instead of lobi ... like the dreadnought , to make Vonph even more painfull to get XD
  • Options
    mikearoomikearoo Member Posts: 342 Arc User
    I still like one idea brought up before, that Tier 1 (maybe Tier 2) could be used for shuttle type events. Would give us a reason for holding on to the things.