test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

so was Khan..?

a mad genetic muslim? with a black flag of islam wrapped around him?

I know it will get closed quick..

but khan was khan... aka kirks nemesis.

its a star trek thing.. simples

Comments

• jade1280jade1280 Member Posts: 868 Arc User
    Khan was a superior analogy.

Not just post modern TRIBBLE.
  • flash525flash525 Member Posts: 5,441 Arc User
    edited November 2015
    Wait, What?

Edit: If you know this will be closed quick, then you know you shouldn't have made the topic, so why did you? Attention?
    attachment.php?attachmentid=42556&d=1518094222
  • ikonn#1068 ikonn Member Posts: 1,448 Arc User
    edited November 2015
    Khan was all about his own physical and intellectual superiority and of those genetically engineered like him. He wasn't a religious fanatic.
    -AoP- Warrior's Blood (KDF Armada) / -AoP- Qu' raD qulbo'Degh / -AoP- Project Phoenix
  • angrytargangrytarg Member Posts: 11,001 Arc User
    edited November 2015
    Go home torgaddon, you're drunk...

go-home-youre-drunk-meme.jpg​​
    lFC4bt2.gif
    ^ Memory Alpha.org is not canon. It's a open wiki with arbitrary rules. Only what can be cited from an episode is. ^
    "No. Men do not roar. Women roar. Then they hurl heavy objects... and claw at you." -Worf, son of Mogh
    "A filthy, mangy beast, but in its bony breast beat the heart of a warrior" - "faithful" (...) "but ever-ready to follow the call of the wild." - Martok, about a Targ
    "That pig smelled horrid. A sweet-sour, extremely pungent odor. I showered and showered, and it took me a week to get rid of it!" - Robert Justman, appreciating Emmy-Lou
  • bwleon7bwleon7 Member Posts: 310 Arc User
    The Eugenics Wars (or the Great Wars) were a series of conflicts fought on Earth between 1992 and 1996. The result of a scientific attempt to improve the Human race through selective breeding and genetic engineering, the wars devastated parts of Earth, by some estimates officially causing some 30 million deaths, and nearly plunging the planet into a new Dark Age. (TOS: "Space Seed"; ENT: "Borderland")

Records from this period are fragmented, but what is known is that the wars' roots lie in a group of Human scientists' ambitious attempt to improve the race through selective breeding and genetic engineering. They created a race of "supermen," popularly known as the Augments, who were mentally and physically superior to ordinary men and women. They were five times stronger than the average person, their lung efficiency was 50 percent better than normal, and their intelligence was double that of normal Humans. They also had enhanced senses, including an ability to hear beyond that of Human capabilities. (TOS: "Space Seed"; ENT: "Borderland", "Cold Station 12")

The Augments were created by the scientists in the 1950s cold war era in the hopes that they would lead Humanity into an era of peace in a world that had only known war. (Star Trek Into Darkness) One aspect these scientists overlooked was the personality of the Augments. Along with their superior abilities, the Augments were aggressive and arrogant, flaws which the scientists were unable to correct at the time, due to the infancy of the science. One of the Augments' creators realized this, writing that "superior ability breeds superior ambition." That same scientist was ultimately killed by one of his own creations. (TOS: "Space Seed"; ENT: "Cold Station 12", "The Augments")

The Augments rose to power and held dominance over a large portion of Humanity, beginning in the early 1990s. Among the most notorious of these superhuman conquerors was Khan Noonien Singh, who in 1992 became the "absolute ruler" of more than a quarter of the planet, from Asia through the Middle East. (TOS: "Space Seed")

The following year, a group of fellow "supermen" followed in Khan's footsteps, and simultaneously seized power in over 40 nations. Some people were treated as little more than slaves by the Augments. Khan considered himself a prince "with power over millions," and unlike some other nations ruled by Augments, under his rule there were no massacres and no wars of aggression until he was attacked; he was thus among the most admired of the so-called "tyrants" into the 23rd century, being called the "best of the tyrants" by James T. Kirk. (TOS: "Space Seed"; Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan; ENT: "Borderland")

http://memory-alpha.wikia.com/wiki/Eugenics_Wars
    Dr. Miranda Jones: I understand, Mr. Spock. The glory of creation is in its infinite diversity.
    Mr. Spock: And the ways our differences combine, to create meaning and beauty.

-Star Trek: Is There in Truth No Beauty? (1968)
  • deaftravis05deaftravis05 Member Posts: 4,885 Arc User
    ah, will be locked and the OP warned.

and religion was never cited. He was actually just believing that genetic engineering breeded human beings and thus he was more evolved.

@pwlaughingtrendy
  • whitewhale80whitewhale80 Member Posts: 86 Arc User
    His religion was never mentioned and I find it unlikely he had one given his belief in his own superiority and scientific origin.

Or.

Stop being daft.
  • kjwashingtonkjwashington Member Posts: 2,529 Arc User
    edited November 2015
    He worshiped his own biological superiority. Nothing to do with the backwards religions we have today.

Edit: My sig sooooooooo applies here.
    FaW%20meme_zpsbkzfjonz.jpg
    Support 90 degree arc limitation on BFaW! Save our ships from looking like flying disco balls of dumb!
  • cidjackcidjack Member Posts: 2,017 Arc User
    I really wish people who are leaving the game would just leave and stop disrupting the forums with petty attention seeking acts. It really just shows how minimal their minds are.
    Armada: Multiplying fleet projects in need of dilithium by 13."
    95bced8038c91ec6f880d510e6fd302f366a776c4c5761e5f7931d491667a45e.jpgvia Imgflip Meme Generator
  • orangeitisorangeitis Member Posts: 5,222 Arc User
    Islam isn't genetic. He could've had any world view for all we know.
  • gazurtoidgazurtoid Member Posts: 423 Arc User
    What utter nonsense is this? Close this silly thread before anyone embarasses themselves too much.

Although I do feel obliged to note, that although never specifically mentioned onscreen, Khan was fairly obviously of Sikh background (writers are also clear on this). Please get your facts straight before making dodgy assertions like this in future.
    yjkZSeM.gif
  • therealmaddmatttherealmaddmatt Member Posts: 120 Arc User
    edited November 2015
    To set the record straight, Khan was supposed to be Sikh, not Muslim.

For those so inclined, look up Greg Cox's "The Eugenics Wars: The Rise and Fall of Khan Noonien Singh", a trilogy that covers Khan's youth, the Eugenics Wars, and his time on Ceti Alpha V. It rather cleverly incorporates the Eugenics wars into a shadow war, incorporated with actual historical events from the late 80s - early 90s. His foil is Gary Seven and Roberta Lincoln. I rarey recommend Star Trek books, but this one was really good.
  • mackbolan01mackbolan01 Member Posts: 580 Arc User
    what therealmaddmatt said !!!!!​​
  • rickdankorickdanko Member Posts: 470 Arc User
    NB4tL2PtL

Btw did you mean Genghis Khan or Chaka Khan?
    They're not really gone, as long as we remember them
    candle_burning.gif
    Plasma Nugget
    Rayzee
    excellentawesome#4589
    torgaddon101
    raeat

I'm allowed to disagree.
  • shrimphead2015shrimphead2015 Member Posts: 527 Arc User
    To set the record straight, Khan was supposed to be Sikh, not Muslim.

For those so inclined, look up Greg Cox's "The Eugenics Wars: The Rise and Fall of Khan Noonien Singh", a trilogy that covers Khan's youth, the Eugenics Wars, and his time on Ceti Alpha V. It rather cleverly incorporates the Eugenics wars into a shadow war, incorporated with actual historical events from the late 80s - early 90s. His foil is Gary Seven and Roberta Lincoln. I rarey recommend Star Trek books, but this one was really good.

I'm glad you mentioned that because the whole time looking at this thread i was thinking what a great idea for a story to chronicle the life of Khan and the Eugenics War. I always believed in the tv series they tried to make that part of history very mysterious so as we only had glimpses of what it was like during those dark times. One question I was too lazy to look up but did World War 3 happen before or after the Eugenics War or was it just another name for the same war?​​
    "There is iron in your words of death for all Comanche to see, and so there is iron in your words of life. No signed paper can hold the iron. It must come from men. The words of Ten Bears carries the same iron of life and death. It is good that warriors such as we meet in the struggle of life... or death. It shall be life." - Ten Bears (Will Sampson)
  • rahmkota19rahmkota19 Member Posts: 1,929 Arc User
    flash525 wrote: »
    Wait, What?

Edit: If you know this will be closed quick, then you know you shouldn't have made the topic, so why did you? Attention?

Remember, this guy once attempted to pick a fight with me and go in a 1v1. Was pretty fun at the end that thread. Never had that fight.

Also, like said above, Khan was a supposed Sikh. Religion from Northern India/Pakistan around 1700.

Khan himself was shot into space at the end of the Eugenics wars, which happened in the ninetees.

Honestly, if you are gonna be a racist on these forums, at least get your background facts straight.
  • rahmkota19rahmkota19 Member Posts: 1,929 Arc User
    He worshiped his own biological superiority. Nothing to do with -deleted-

Edit: My sig sooooooooo applies here.

P.S.: I'd suggest you change that part where you mention the current religions. This is gonna get you a lot of offense.
  • thegrandnagus1thegrandnagus1 Member Posts: 5,165 Arc User
    While the OP may very well be trolling, the question of Khan's motivation is legitimate. And based on the actual movie/TV show he was in, he said nothing about his religious beliefs. He clearly believed in his own intellectual superiority.

The-Grand-Nagus

og9Zoh0.jpg
  • yukonsamyukonsam Member Posts: 103 Arc User
    In initial drafts of the script, he was a Nordic man named Ericsson. That apparently didn't shift until they decided to make him the former ruler of Asia. Conceptually, he was Kirk, if Kirk were amped up and had his ethical constraints (such as they were) suppressed. And the ideology under the microscope in Space Seed isn't any religion, but the conceit of eugenics. A Nordic villain probably would have tied it too closely to the TRIBBLE "ubermensch". An Indian man with a delicious Spanish accent, not so much.

So yeah.... Khan as a religious fanatic isn't supported by anything in the canon or behind the scenes.
  • officerbatman81officerbatman81 Member Posts: 2,761 Arc User
    Indian man with delicious spanish accent. Love it. Always knew that it was bad casting situation.

Also, in before the lock.
  • tousseautousseau Member Posts: 1,484 Arc User
    Ummm...

Uhhhh...

Dude... wtf is wrong with you?
    (I'm referring to the OP here)
  • shrimphead2015shrimphead2015 Member Posts: 527 Arc User
    Indian man with delicious spanish accent. Love it. Always knew that it was bad casting situation.

Also, in before the lock.

I agree they may have had the race mixed up as Khan was apparently of Indian descent but honestly (and this is just my opinion), I really enjoyed Ricardo Montalban's performance for that role. He carried himself with an authority and arrogance you would expect from a character that ruled over millions. I think the writers in the TOS did a really good job in fleshing out the character both in the tv series and the movies but Montalban's acting was brought it to life.

Something else came to mind as I wrote this, in the TOS and the movie you not only saw Khan's strengths but weaknesses as well. He was prone to "lose it" when things did not go his way and often there was a lethal consequence to that, as Spock would say his intelligence suggested "two dimensional thinking". It gave me the impression that these "supermen" were not gods and as such could be bested by us "inferior" products.​​
    "There is iron in your words of death for all Comanche to see, and so there is iron in your words of life. No signed paper can hold the iron. It must come from men. The words of Ten Bears carries the same iron of life and death. It is good that warriors such as we meet in the struggle of life... or death. It shall be life." - Ten Bears (Will Sampson)
  • anothervisitoranothervisitor Member Posts: 414 Arc User
    edited November 2015
    When I think of Khan, I think of Ricardo Montalban and his epic performance in 'The wrath of Khan'.

If you've seen that movie and the ST episode 'Space Seed', you know the character had nothing to do with stupid religions.
    Tyr shall give me strength!
    For the glory of Tempus!
    I am the hands of Shar!
    Flames of Kossuth, protect me!
    Oghma, grant me knowledge!
    Lolth commands, and I obey!
  • pwlaughingtrendypwlaughingtrendy Member Posts: 2,966 Arc User
    edited November 2015
    What the actual TRIBBLE#%
    Post edited by pwlaughingtrendy on
This discussion has been closed.