test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Admiralty needs an ABORT MISSION button

hyplhypl Member Posts: 3,719 Arc User
A simple misclick send the wrong ships on a long assignment, with a longer maintenance time to wait before those ships are usable again. There needs to be an abort mission button. Doffing has it, so why not this?

Comments

• Options
    architect13architect13 Member Posts: 1,076 Arc User
    R&D research does not have a cancel button either. . . and it has been asked for since day one.
    Have you tried the new forum on your phone?
  • Options
    borticuscrypticborticuscryptic Member Posts: 2,478 Cryptic Developer
    hypl wrote: »
    A simple misclick ...

It requires several successive "misclicks" to make this sort of mistake.

1) Choose which Assignment to run.
    2) Choose which Ship to slot, up to 3 times.
    3) Click "Begin Assignment"

How many more opportunities are required, to doublecheck your progress?
    Jeremy Randall
    Cryptic - Lead Systems Designer
    "Play smart!"
  • Options
    fraghul2000fraghul2000 Member Posts: 1,590 Arc User
    A simple misclick ...

For me it happened when I had 3 ships slotted on a mission I indended to run, but wanted to switch the third slot to another ship, instead of the one I had initially chosen. Clicked on "Begin assignment", instead of "select" (buttons are right next to each other).

Single misclick, ship tied up for 32 hours.
  • Options
    A simple misclick ...

Does it matter? What kind of technical hurdle or gameplay issue prevents the addition of a cancel assignment button?

• Options
    Does it matter? What kind of technical hurdle or gameplay issue prevents the addition of a cancel assignment button?

The main ones would be that your ships would still go into Maintenance, and the Assignment would go into Cooldown. It would be near-impossible (and at the very least, highly impractical) to put an Aborted assignment back into your current Available lists, due to how they are populated.

In short, everything you'd want Abort to allow you to do, wouldn't happen.
    Jeremy Randall
    "Play smart!"
  • Options
    fraghul2000fraghul2000 Member Posts: 1,590 Arc User

The main ones would be that your ships would still go into Maintenance, and the Assignment would go into Cooldown. It would be near-impossible (and at the very least, highly impractical) to put an Aborted assignment back into your current Available lists, due to how they are populated.

So it's basically that we can't have an abort-button, because whoever designed the whole system didn't do a good job designing the whole system from the ground up?

Come on, it's a "cancel"-button. Missions and episodes have them, we can opt out ouf queues, leave maps, abort doff missions and people have been asking for a cancellation button for the R&D, Fleet project and reputation system right from the start (recieved it in the latter case). What is a developer thinking when he's designing a system such as the admiralty system, and even if it's not implemented right away, doesn't leave himself a way to introduce that option, in a meaningful way, later on?
  • Options
    This isn't so much a question of not making a system that we can't change. More like making a system that meets our goals, without allowing for unwanted behavior. The system is designed around making decisions, and the acceptance of the responsibility for the results of those decisions. Allowing an "Undo" button undermines that behavior, and the philosophy of the system's overall design.

So, in short - even if we could solve the myriad problems that an Abort button would potentially introduce, we likely just wouldn't do it. It doesn't fit the system's intended design.
    Jeremy Randall
    "Play smart!"
  • Options
    This isn't so much a question of not making a system that we can't change. More like making a system that meets our goals, without allowing for unwanted behavior. The system is designed around making decisions, and the acceptance of the responsibility for the results of those decisions. Allowing an "Undo" button undermines that behavior, and the philosophy of the system's overall design.

So, in short - even if we could solve the myriad problems that an Abort button would potentially introduce, we likely just wouldn't do it. It doesn't fit the system's intended design.

So then why are we allowed to abort doff assignments, but not admiralty? We can correct our mistakes when sending duty officers out on assignments, but not when it comes to our starships?
  • Options
    biggs4everbiggs4ever Member Posts: 108 Arc User

So then why are we allowed to abort doff assignments, but not admiralty? We can correct our mistakes when sending duty officers out on assignments, but not when it comes to our starships?

This won't get a legit answer out of him.He never gives any legit answer to pvp issues.
  • Options
    coruunascoruunas Member Posts: 127 Arc User
    It's only time...plus that "oops" moment has a chance to become a "wow" moment... It's not like your ships are going to be lost with all hands
    regardless the old saying "once burned twice shy" applies to future clicks.
  • Options
    captz1ppcaptz1pp Member Posts: 931 Arc User
    I wonder if outcome text on if when you win or lose an assignment could be added to the "details" part of the window.
  • Options
    margorfarmingmargorfarming Member Posts: 10 Arc User
    Ive added 30k refined dil to my acct and over a million ec's in the last 2 days. I have no complaints about admiralty.
  • Options
    welcome2earfwelcome2earf Member Posts: 1,746 Arc User
    edited November 2015
    I'm gonna guess that if they put in a "cancel" button that it would not revert the mission back to the queue, so you may end up with free "pass" tokens.

In any case, the placement of the last ship is in such a place in the selector it is too easy to "accidentally" start the mission before completing the loadout.

In other news, Bort, as much as I appreciate yopur work in adpoting the Doff system to make the Fleet and now Admiralty system, the request was simple and not caustic - I don't think it warranted the mildly ascerbic tone in your reply, with all due respect.
    Post edited by welcome2earf on
    T93uSC8.jpg
  • Options
    whiteknight1xwhiteknight1x Member Posts: 188 Arc User
    I just accidentally launch a mission. I was trying to drag the ship assignment windows which can't be done but I keep trying. When I fail to do so I right click on the outside of the windows, no where near the bottom were the assignment launch bottom is and the assignment windows close. The mission was launch with only one ship in it. No possible way it will complete that mission. I just lost access to science ship and lost the T6 ship reward. This is a design flaw. Clicking on the outside of the assignment windows should not launch a mission. Need an Abort option.
  • Options
    abcde123123abcde123123 Member Posts: 342 Arc User
    As much as I hate to admit it but dil cost for Abort button in RD makes sense. If you remove the dil price, you can abuse the RNG as much as possible looking for those [crtd]x3 items, at very low opportunity cost.

However for Admiralty system, the peoples argument is warranted, because at higher levels the system has too high opportunity cost. It is merely a ship selling vehicle but with a very high entrance cost for a casual player.

Again, the beauty of the original DOFF system was that it rewarded participation on every step, and had a very low entrance level. Admiralty system does not have it yet, so in hope for future changes peoples are trying to open a dialog :)
  • Options
    mustrumridcully0mustrumridcully0 Member Posts: 12,963 Arc User
    Well, the cost for an Abort button could simply be the cost a pass token.

But in the end - why not just live with the occassional mistake? You won't lose anything important.
    Star Trek Online Advancement: You start with lowbie gear, you end with Lobi gear.
  • Options
    thedancingfoxthedancingfox Member Posts: 30 Arc User

I'd love an Abort button as well. I would have USED it several times over already.

The most common case for me is going through filling up Admiralty slots, and then finding out that you don't have any more free.

Then you really wish that you'd added in an extra shuttle or something to that last mission where you only just put enough ships to Succeed the mission, but were saving up your other ships in case you needed a spare to bump another one up.

You could Abort the mission and then go back and add the extra ship.

Or an "Oh, oops" moment. You think you're filling in an extra ship, and instead starting the Assignment.

I don't find the reasons given sufficient to explain the issue. "Highly impractical"? Why?

The design should have been flexible enough to allow to add it later, even if not included at first.

Even if it wasn't, the information to recreate the "unstarted" Assignment is in the "started" Assignment (or should be, or could be made to be).

An "Abort" button is a "common sense" part of the design. Or at least it is seen to be so, with the benefit of some use of Admiralty.

• Options
    edited November 2015
    Having used the system for a while now, I'm beginning to see that an abort button would not work, due to how the system was designed. It's not like the doff system where assignments are in rotation at regular intervals. This is a system that's at a standstill until you send ships on assignments or pass on them. Aborting assignments can be used to circumvent pass tokens, which completely flew over my head. :/

I'm surprised that pass tokens are not monetized yet, since it's pretty clear that they were made to be monetized. If these will not be available to purchase in the C-Store, get rid of them. Have admiralty assignments on a rotating pool similar to doff assignments, maybe changing every 24 hours. Have a pool of about 10-15 assignments and improve the rewards a bit. Tour of Duty or special event assignments should be in their own pool.

And again, this is something that could also be expanded as an out-of-game component to STO. It's all there waiting to be utilized, though I'm sure Cryptic has already been considering it.
  • Options
    warpangelwarpangel Member Posts: 9,427 Arc User

It doesn't actually make any sense in doff assignments either, for exactly the same reasons. It should probably be removed. At the very least, any resources you used to start the assignment should still be gone and any injured/dead doffs should still be injured/dead.

If assignments were realistically long, there could be a window where you could countermand your orders before the officers/ships actually got underway. But since a 15 minute assignment may well represent a week-long diplomatic mission, that window would be a fraction of a second in STO time.
  • Options
    whiteknight1xwhiteknight1x Member Posts: 188 Arc User
    edited November 2015
    A simple misclick ...

You have a mission screen with the Ship Selection window which is overlapping the mission screen so you go to clear the ship slot and because the Ship Selection is overlapping the mission screen you hit the Begin Assignment button. Bad design. Can't move the Ship Selection windows out of the way. If you try it could launch the mission.

The problem with programmers is they think just because they know how to do something that everyone else should too. You need to learn to think about how the users are going to use it. The customers are spending their money on this game. Without us you would be looking for a job right now.

I work as a on-call Tech Support I go to peoples homes and businesses and I have the highest customer satisfaction rating within the whole company nation wide. The reason why I am rated so high is because I think about my clients needs and how can I make their lives easier. Its not about us its about the people we serve. As a programmer for this game you serve us. So instead of insulting us how able listening to us and fix the problem.