test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Too Much Variation in all the wrong places..?

Variation is a wonderful thing, if done right. Good variation for me would be significant differences between the factions, but that's been decided against. Regardless, does anyone else here think that there's too much going on in the game now? Too many different sets, equipment, currencies, species (few of which are playable), unique boffs, playable alien ships etc etc etc

There's got to be variation for sure, else everyone would be flying around kitted out exactly the same as the next person, but is there too much? I've lost count how many sets there are, be that through feature episodes, rep, lobi or otherwise. Then there's all the different variations of ships, some of which aren't all that different from the next.

Am I alone in wanting something a little... simpler?
attachment.php?attachmentid=42556&d=1518094222

Comments

• Options
    ryugasiriusryugasirius Member Posts: 283 Arc User
    So, you'd rather have some content removed than new content added? O_o

I always hated the "vertical" system in games like WoW, where any content was built on top of the previous top content (and to do the latest piece of content and get tier 20 elite stuff you had to have tier 19 elite stuff and so on), horizontal approach is definitely the best. You don't really have to do everything and own every set, just do what you need/want.

ryuga81.png
  • Options
    rahmkota19rahmkota19 Member Posts: 1,929 Arc User
    I'd say it was an inevitability.

However, I still feel sad for anyone entering the game at this point. A new fleet member who is now playing around 2 months recently told me he could not make heads or tails of an episode like Sphere of Influence. Iconian gate I helped uncover? I never was on New Romulus before to begin with! For me, this made sense due to the T5 Rom Rep cutscene. In a while, he will understand too. But now, its all just very vague stuff.
  • Options
    ikonn#1068 ikonn Member Posts: 1,449 Arc User
    edited November 2015
    My only wish right now in regards to the OP's post is to decrease the number of currencies. Back in the day, we had one currency downgrade and I think it's time for another one.
    -AoP- Warrior's Blood (KDF Armada) / -AoP- Qu' raD qulbo'Degh / -AoP- Project Phoenix
  • Options
    fovrelfovrel Member Posts: 1,448 Arc User
    Alone? In any case not with me. I like all the stuff and I do not mind if we get more. What is your problem anyway. You do not like to have choices? Are you a commie? They don't like choices either. Because some people may not choose right, everybody has to choose wrong, so we all look stupid.
  • Options
    wraithshadow13wraithshadow13 Member Posts: 1,728 Arc User
    For the most part, the game is just too much TRIBBLE thrown in, with very little cohesion. STO is basically Michael Bay's version of into darkness. They've taken the general idea of Star Trek, thrown out everything that makes it lovable, and replaced it with a bunch of "hey wouldn't this be cool" without actually tying in together properly... plus explosions. The game was poorly and quickly built (to secure the ip), so I'm not really sure where it differs between what can be done versus what they refuse to do, but most of the game is made to illicit sales, with no thought into quality or such. Basically, whether it is being pushed on them by PWE overlords, or realistically just Cryptic itself, the main goal is to make as much stuff they can sell (overpriced) for as cheaply as they can produce it. Plain and simple. They don't care about the fans, the ip or the game or players or anything but the money in the worst way.

Luckily for players and fans, there are a lot of Cryptic employees that DO care, who will push for content or additions, and some who even work on this stuff at home just to do something for the people. Other times, Cryptic realizes most people only pop in when something new is dropped, so if they didn't add something people would be forgetting this game existed... or at least would if they didn't have the Star Trek IP.

As such, the game is really just a horrible mess or random odds and ends, with no real direction. Cryptic has no clue what the fans want, but know how to exploit what they love to make money. PWE wants to push them in a different direction to make the game more marketable to their player base in another country. And there are a small group within whom still want to do things that the players would like, appreciate, and enjoy. Imagine a Hometown American Chef (devs), a Chinese Corporate Chef (pwe), and Cryptic as that Gordon Ramsay fellow (but moderately intoxicated, and with a terrible cockney accent). Through a series of bad business decisions, they've all landed in a single kitchen of a famous eating establishment. People are ordering the most popular dish, but each chef has their own way of wanting to prepare it. The Corporate Chef is the owner, so he's making demands of the lead Chef, no matter how unrealistic/foolish/bad they may be. The Ramsay fellow is just yelling at everyone beneath him, interjecting the higher ups ideas, his own ideas, and generally not getting much done aside from yelling and upsetting people. The Hometown Chef is the one who knows the dish, the one actually making it, and the one who knows what the people at the restaurant like, but since the Corporate, owns, and the Fellow manages, Hometown is stuck doing what they say or finding another place to work.

This is how things are with Cryptic games. Too many small (but sometimes great) ideas, tossed in with a lot of bad ideas, and often halfassed or poorly implemented, with nothing to tie them together properly. Rather than fixing things, cleaning it up, optimizing, or streamlining, or really anything to make things better, they just keep tossing in other, unrelated things, trying to cover up the bad. Like a kitty in a sand box, or a hoarder who can't find their cat...

While it's something they SHOULD fix, nothing will be done about it. If champions is any indication, they'll just doing what ever they feel like, regardless of how big a mess it all is. It's how they roll.
  • Options
    ashstorm1ashstorm1 Member Posts: 679 Arc User
    I do agree with the fact that we tend to get too many different sets, especially for space combat. After a while, it does become tedious to determine which is the most appropriate one for your build, especially since space combat in STO isn't really influenced by your profession.

However, too many species and unique BOFFs ? No, i disagree with that. Star Trek is about diversity, and STO mirrors this pretty well in my opinion. As for the unique BOFFs, i personally take great pride in my multi-racial bridge : i have every single existing unique BOFF, including the very sought-after Reman and Breen officers from the (far too rare) Feature Episode reruns, as well as a Nausicaan TAC earned through the Diplomacy Commendation system.
  • Options
    durenasdurenas Member Posts: 108 Arc User
    edited November 2015

I always hated the "vertical" system in games like WoW, where any content was built on top of the previous top content (and to do the latest piece of content and get tier 20 elite stuff you had to have tier 19 elite stuff and so on), horizontal approach is definitely the best. You don't really have to do everything and own every set, just do what you need/want.

Horizontal progression is an illusion. There will always be gear that is best for what you want to do. Part of the learning process in any game is to find out what works best. What you're saying is you dislike homogeneity, which is fair. But IMO there comes a point where the developers should really consider retiring old gear. I was frankly expecting them to retire all the old level 50 stuff(by making it not upgrade-able) then the upgrade system came out and I realized that nothing was really going to change.
  • Options
    juanvenkatjuanvenkat Member Posts: 38 Arc User
    I think if you are a whale then yes, it's a huge problem.

Because then you gotta have enough ship to have all space sets, all weapon sets, 300 ship slots, collect all pokemon cards (ships and doff), fleet tier, crafting, upgrading.

It's right up ulcer alley if you are a whale.
  • Options
    orangeitisorangeitis Member Posts: 5,222 Arc User

This! <3
  • Options
    durenasdurenas Member Posts: 108 Arc User
    juanvenkat wrote: »
    I think if you are a whale then yes, it's a huge problem.

Because then you gotta have enough ship to have all space sets, all weapon sets, 300 ship slots, collect all pokemon cards (ships and doff), fleet tier, crafting, upgrading.

It's right up ulcer alley if you are a whale.
    First World Problems, eh?
  • Options
    kerygankerygan Member Posts: 254 Arc User
    „Infinite Diversity in Infinite
    Combinations” ... you can't disagree with vulcan philosophy. And i think this quote is actualy true
  • Options
    flash525flash525 Member Posts: 5,441 Arc User
    So, you'd rather have some content removed than new content added?
    In a sense, yeah, although I would rather some content be combined. We only need take a look at the PvE queues to see those that are popular compared with those that are not. The less interesting ones should be overhauled, maybe thrown into the mix together to create something new. Instead of the harder queues simply having tougher enemies to fight, why not add more to them?
    rahmkota19 wrote: »
    However, I still feel sad for anyone entering the game at this point.
    Yeah, this is one of my concerns too, not just new players, but existing players with new characters. There was a time when the game was alt friendly, that certainly isn't the case anymore. Granted the initial level (up to 50) doesn't take all that long to accomplish, but the remaining 10 levels do, and there's the rep duration on top of that, and that's before [said character/person] has played the queues to get the marks to be able to do the projects. Do we really need what is it, 8 or 9 rep systems, no doubt with more to follow..?
    fovrel wrote: »
    Alone? In any case not with me. I like all the stuff and I do not mind if we get more. What is your problem anyway. You do not like to have choices? Are you a commie? They don't like choices either. Because some people may not choose right, everybody has to choose wrong, so we all look stupid.
    I do like choice, yeah. However there is such a thing as too much choice, and I believe there is too much choice with STO, a lot more than is necessary.

I'm also in agreement with the post made by wraithshadow13.
    ashstorm1 wrote: »
    However, too many species and unique BOFFs ? No, i disagree with that. Star Trek is about diversity, and STO mirrors this pretty well in my opinion. As for the unique BOFFs, i personally take great pride in my multi-racial bridge : i have every single existing unique BOFF, including the very sought-after Reman and Breen officers from the (far too rare) Feature Episode reruns, as well as a Nausicaan TAC earned through the Diplomacy Commendation system.
    Two things to comment on here, all within the realm of diversity (of which you are right); however as far as species go, there is little diversity to be had. The KDF is practically a carbon copy of the Federation, and the Republic is half of that again. Most of these unique Boffs we can't even customize. Where is that diversity now?

I know STO initially started out with the KDF as a PvP faction, and honestly, I'm wondering whether they should have been left like that, or turned into their own mini faction like the Republic, or better still, some endgame faction (levels 40 - 60 in this case). Cryptics idea of factions is a joke. There's no diversity between them at all. Doesn't truly matter who you're playing as, when it should. Trek is (primarily) about the Federation, and we know that's where most of the interest (and finance) exists. Maybe they should have just stuck with that.
    attachment.php?attachmentid=42556&d=1518094222
  • Options
    huntor2huntor2 Member Posts: 46 Arc User
    I think it's good,

Since we have more choices, I can choose more easily the pieces of sets I need to fully exploit the strengths of my ships AND their roles.
  • Options
    gradiigradii Member Posts: 2,824 Arc User
    durenas wrote: »

Horizontal progression is an illusion. There will always be gear that is best for what you want to do. Part of the learning process in any game is to find out what works best. What you're saying is you dislike homogeneity, which is fair. But IMO there comes a point where the developers should really consider retiring old gear. I was frankly expecting them to retire all the old level 50 stuff(by making it not upgrade-able) then the upgrade system came out and I realized that nothing was really going to change.

Sorry but when the illusion is better than the reality stick to the illusion, considering its just a game.

"He shall be my finest warrior, this generic man who was forced upon me.
    Like a badass I shall make him look, and in the furnace of war I shall forge him.
    he shall be of iron will and steely sinew.
    In great armour I shall clad him and with the mightiest weapons he shall be armed.
    He will be untouched by plague or disease; no sickness shall blight him.
    He shall have such tactics, strategies and machines that no foe will best him in battle.
    He is my answer to cryptic logic, he is the Defender of my Romulan Crew.
    He is Tovan Khev... and he shall know no fear."
  • Options
    yukonsamyukonsam Member Posts: 103 Arc User
    I'm a fan of complexity. That said, the game could do a better job of helping you swim in the deep end of the pool. As it stands, most of the help to create a coherent endgame build is out on the fan sites, and the usefulness of something like Auxiliary to Battery is pretty obscure until somebody explains it. As the game becomes more mature and complex, it might be time to do some focus testing on total novices and see which concepts, steps and systems they get hung up on. We don't have to ditch or simplify, necessarily, but it'd be good to explain and reorganize some key elements.
  • Options
    juanvenkatjuanvenkat Member Posts: 38 Arc User
    And I also always felt that subscribers weren't getting enough for their money.

I couldn't even imagine having to keep up with all systems, just upgrading or leveling alone I gave up on. 4 million dil for an upgraded ship, gear I already bought, no way.

150 patrols for a level yeah no thanks.

But they must be doing something right, giving the whales so much to throw money it where even with dead queues the game is still up.
  • Options
    kontarnuskontarnus Member Posts: 289 Arc User
    Complexity is good. There isn't anything exceptionally deep about this game... The complexity is relatively shallow and broad rather than deep and more narrowly focused. Most games go for simple because it requires less thinking, less thinking means it will appeal to more players and so more revenue, in theory. It also means the game is short lived and people grow bored.
    "Intelligence is finite, stupidity is infinite" -- Umberto Eco
  • Options
    wraithshadow13wraithshadow13 Member Posts: 1,728 Arc User
    Complexity is one thing, and having a lot of choices is great, but there comes a point where they're stifling themselves on it. With this many choices, they shouldn't be locking costumes as a set, but letting us mix and match the parts. With weapons and armor, set bonuses are nice, but are way too geared for specific situations, so often times, you feel like you need to get them all, just to keep up. More so when there are the hardcore people doing the Uberbuilds, and you're just at the average 8-12k dps.

They're specifically building sets to fight specific enemies, so on the harder difficulties, getting that set is usually a good idea, especially with how content drops. Some times it's frequent, some times it's not at all. They don't really have a clear direction, so they're just kind of flinging TRIBBLE at a wall to see what sticks. The problem is, now look at that wall and how convoluted it's made things.
  • Options
    iconiansiconians Member Posts: 6,987 Arc User
    I think one of the main problems in the complexity and variety of STO is the concept of a Progress Trap. Cryptic has been so successful with their new content, that they are sticking to their game plan because it works. It's functional. Staying the course is smart because there are no forseeable disadvantages to the introduction of variety in the game.

We see the reputation system as a good example of this variety. Cryptic creates a new reputation and we all swarm the queues or other content that reward those particular marks, at the expense of ignoring other content in the queue. We see people like @borticus who understandably is passionate about the hard work going into various queued mission content. I won't say there isn't a high degree of labor and effort put into queued missions.

But the Progress Trap in STO is that all of that hard work and effort put into particular facets of the game ends up becoming desolate because the players have found a new golden carrot to follow. Maybe you see some people in particular queues, for particular reputation marks. But on the whole, you see a major bias towards the new mission tied to the new reputation.

New players can enjoy the revamped missions Cryptic has put into the game. They can enjoy the storyline and enjoy the system of progression -- for a time. Eventually, they reach the point where they have so many empty reputations that they don't really know what to do, because of so much variety. This was partially addressed with Borg Disconnected where you get a variety of marks at the end, effectively allowing you your daily marks for several reputations when playing it every 30 minutes.

But it doesn't address that there is a lot of content that Cryptic has worked long hours to make, only see it as an empty playground with swings just rocking back and forth in the wind, with a tumbleweed rolling by.

There's a lot of variety, but as a result of game design, it pushes dedicated players into a handful of content until they get sick of it. The new players are stuck at the end waiting for queues to pop just to get their daily marks. By the time you get to T5 in a reputation, you've fought that enemy group so much, that you're sick of seeing them (despite having the equipment that gives you an advantage over them). And players only have so much time in the day, they'll understandably go after what's most popular than to experience other content Cryptic has made.

That's the unforseeable outcome of a Progress Trap. You have so much variety, but you make it linear progression in practice, even if it's not intended. You leave a lot of great stuff behind to focus on the future. And sometimes you fix the great stuff left behind, only to find it's not desirable for a bunch of players focused on something new.
    ExtxpTp.jpg
  • Options
    xyquarzexyquarze Member Posts: 2,114 Arc User
    If you find yourself keep losing track of the newest shiny, just remember that in most cases it won't be turning your rubbish into godlike, and if you already have a good build you may be able to improve it but not by that much usually. So take your time and see what looks like it could be okay. You don't have to try everything. Ask others with similar builds/play styles for their experiences with gear and combos. And keep calm, if you are only the 311th to get a good setup it still will be a good setup.
    My mother was an epohh and my father smelled of tulaberries
  • Options
    tostrekkie7tostrekkie7 Member Posts: 50 Arc User
    Sometimes I think there's just too much variation period. Why? Because Cryptic had/has to create sinks to counter the large amounts of wealth players have collected. Players have BILLIONS in EC, MILLIONS in refined Dilithium, hundreds of thousands in Fleet Credits and Reputation Marks. Oh and let's not forget all the different R&D mats.

And like so many others have said, most of the variants are worthless. Shiny enough to convince us to buy it but not worth the cost in the end. So my suggestion would be less variations and more useful ones please.