test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Gold sellers

Am I alone annoyed by them? They are everywhere. In the spacedock , in space and by mail . They also have a weird technique of adding you as a friend (twice) and pming you , which doesn't help while you are fighting. I report them every time but they always come back. Maybe adding a chat restriction for players under lvl 10 can help.
I am from Belgium and english isn't my main language, sorry if I make mistakes.

Comments

• norobladnoroblad Member Posts: 2,624 Arc User
    Turn off the global chats and most of it will clear out. There is a way to filter the PMs too but ive forgotten... if you can't find it I can try to look for it...
  • a3001a3001 Member Posts: 1,132 Arc User
    Fixing bugs....banishing gold sellers forever...fixing bugs....banishing gold sellers...
    Rejoice JJ Trek people....

http://www.arcgames.com/en/games/star-trek-online/news/detail/10052253

Why are you not rejoicing?
  • tempus64tempus64 Member Posts: 806 Arc User
    lamyrs wrote: »
    Am I alone annoyed by them? They are everywhere. In the spacedock , in space and by mail . They also have a weird technique of adding you as a friend (twice) and pming you , which doesn't help while you are fighting. I report them every time but they always come back. Maybe adding a chat restriction for players under lvl 10 can help.

Having a level requirement would only be a detriment to new players. During an XP event they can get to level 10+ super fast so they would just spend that time creating boatloads of accounts to burn through until the next XP event.

Having a play time requirement would also only be a detriment to new players. They'd have to do it like the email thing which requires 1 zen to unlock faster. Which of course a serious gold seller would have once they did 1 mission or academy lore.

Ban IPs. They just use proxies.

Ban accounts/emails. They just create more. This makes reporting them useless as well as adding hundreds of them to your ignore list just a waste of time.

Filter messages containing certain words/domains/phrases. This is problematic as it can filter real users if too harsh and is a constant ongoing thing to keep up with as the gold sellers change their messages. I think neverwinter had that issue.

They "could" try going after the web sites. But a lot of those types of things use hosting that doesn't care and ignores that sort of stuff. So then you have to go after getting the hosting companies upstream providers to shut them off. So basically, not going to happen. Go after their payment processing? It's so easy and fast for people to create new companies via off shore services that they can be up and running again in days. In fact, if that starts to happen, they just create multiples so that they never have down time. I remember reading about a facebook ads guy who did that so he could keep doing ads on there whenever facebook shut down his accounts, which was constant as he was always breaking their rules.

Assuming these sellers are "legit" and actually provide the stuff a person buys, then they could go after the accounts that contains all that stuff. But that would require tracking transactions between players so it could be traced back to the source accounts. Don't think anyone wants that.

So basically. They can never be stopped, just slowed down a bit.

In order for the sellers to message you etc, they have to see you. If you make yourself only visible to friends, that helps. Changing settings so you don't show up on the open teaming list also helps a bit.
  • lamyrslamyrs Member Posts: 312 Arc User
    tempus64 wrote: »
    lamyrs wrote: »
    In order for the sellers to message you etc, they have to see you. If you make yourself only visible to friends, that helps. Changing settings so you don't show up on the open teaming list also helps a bit.

Thx I'll try that!
    I am from Belgium and english isn't my main language, sorry if I make mistakes.
  • zisko#6191 zisko Member Posts: 49 Arc User
    Click on the icon where you see fleets hit the privacy setting you turn your self off of being seeing by everyone you can also turn the option of receiving fleet invites off as well.