test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Dry Dock--whats the purpose?

2»

Comments

• battykoda0battykoda0 Member Posts: 959 Arc User
    The only point I can see to it is that I have a place to store Fleet Ships and Lobi ships which cannot be reclaimed.

If you have a lot of these type ships, they're likely filling up all your ship slots. With this you could put it in Drydock and free the ship slot.

Yep. Exactly.

Lockbox ships can't be dismissed or they are lost. You let them fill your active roster or you delete them. I would rather buy drydock slots than ship slots so I don't have to see a wall of mothballed ships going all the way back to tier 1. Other than shuttles, I don't see myself ever flying a Lieutenant ship for content again (though lockbox ships don't come that low).

And like any other object in life, sometimes there's a reason to hold onto a baby rattle for the next 80 years. Some ships just mean something to some people and this gives them a "display case" to mount them in.
    Wow. There is a new KDF Science ship. I'll be!
  • nebfabnebfab Member Posts: 672 Arc User
    f9thretxc wrote: »
    I have a question, and I'm just going by my guestimation here, but are there even 300 ships that one character can get? or is the drydock account bound?
    I just counted all the ships on STOWiki... Theoretically, a Fed player can get 196 distinct ships right now (including flyable shuttles, fleet versions, cross-faction etc.) So, while it's not quite there yet, a compulsive ship collector with enough income could fill those 300 slots in a few years, as new ships are released...
  • teknesiateknesia Member Posts: 860 Arc User
    to encourage people to hand more money over to Crytpic.
    edbf9204-c725-4dab-a35a-46626a4cb978.jpg
  • stobg2015stobg2015 Member Posts: 800 Arc User
    I was planning on making heavy use of this feature... until I saw that Silver only gets 5 slots and additional slots are 5 @ 400 Zen.

Too expensive. It will be more cost effective for me to buy ship slots and use them for storage, because Dry Docking will also require extra inventory slots to clean out a ship for storage.

5 @ 200z I would have considered. 10 @ 400z I would have considered. This? Not so much.

IMO, the only good reason to Dry Dock is if you own (and hang on to) every non-reclaimable ship you can get your hands on. I've got a lot of C-Store ships, but I don't tend to keep non-reclaimable ships around and I don't have any Fleet or Lockbox ships. Admiralty is NOT a good enough reason in my book.
    (The Guy Formerly And Still Known As Bluegeek)
  • f9thretxcf9thretxc Member Posts: 505 Arc User
    nebfab wrote: »
    I just counted all the ships on STOWiki... Theoretically, a Fed player can get 196 distinct ships right now (including flyable shuttles, fleet versions, cross-faction etc.) So, while it's not quite there yet, a compulsive ship collector with enough income could fill those 300 slots in a few years, as new ships are released...

Thank you for doing the math. I have a horrible eye infection going on right now, so staring at a screen gives me a head ache pretty fast.

I can see where 300 ships then is not out of the realm of possibility esp. with future releases.

My mother always told me to walk away from a fight, The Marines taught me how.
  • szimszim Member Posts: 2,503 Arc User
    edited November 2015
    I'm a little bit confused here. We get 5 (10 for a LTS) dry dock slots for free and 5 more can be bought from the c-store for 400 zen to a maximum of 305 (310) slots. Isn't that just a little bit exaggerated? I mean you would have to spend 24'000 Zen to maximize your dry dock. Who is gonna do that? And why? There aren't even enough ships in the game to fill it all up! :D
  • kdawgenigmakdawgenigma Member Posts: 300 Arc User
    bamley wrote: »
    I may be the only person but I am completely confused as to what the purpose of dry docking for the game? How does this help at all? Any ships I buy can be reclaimed through the C-store so is dry docking only helpful to store event ships like winter, summer, anniversary event etc?

Just another cash grab for impulse buyers that don't think their purchases through before clicking buy.

-Rule of Acquisition #113: Always have sex with the boss.
    -I am one of the many victims from the hijacked Caspian Division.
    I will not let the childish acts of a criminal ruin this game for me.
    -The actions of Cryptic, on the other hand......
  • xyquarzexyquarze Member Posts: 2,114 Arc User
    Well, to be prepared for the future. You don't have to dish out the $240 in one go, Cryptic will gladly take them in monthly installments of $4 ;)
    My mother was an epohh and my father smelled of tulaberries
    Not to mention the regular complaints that the maximum boff/doff/ship slot roster or account/bank/inventory space is too low. And since it doesn't take up much space, better safe than sorry?
    f9thretxc wrote: »
    nebfab wrote: »

Thank you for doing the math. I have a horrible eye infection going on right now, so staring at a screen gives me a head ache pretty fast.

I can see where 300 ships then is not out of the realm of possibility esp. with future releases.
    It's 2 more theoretical ships already :D (with unique mirror danube and mirror guardian from the promo/charity drive.)
  • thatcursedwolfthatcursedwolf Member Posts: 1,617 Arc User
    If dry dock slots don't have to get passed from map change to map change like active ship slots [did|do] I would think Cryptic would be handing them out like candy with a some sort of a bonus for having less active ships to cut down on server loads.
    This is my Risian Corvette. There are many like it, but this one is mine.
  • farmallmfarmallm Member Posts: 4,630 Arc User
    I will use mine to "park" event ships, anniversary ships, and any other ship. I just can't reclaim or get easily. If I'm not using that ship on that character at the time. This way I can bring it back out later to use. But at least I can clear out some slots for future ships.
    Enterprise%20C_zpsrdrf3v8d.jpg

USS Casinghead NCC 92047 launched 2350
    Fleet Admiral Stowe - Dominion War Vet.
  • ltminnsltminns Member Posts: 12,569 Arc User
    Each character gets 10 slots. The purchase of each 5 additional are per CHARACTER.
    'But to be logical is not to be right', and 'nothing' on God's earth could ever 'make it' right!'
    Judge Dan Haywood
    'As l speak now, the words are forming in my head.
    l don't know.
    l really don't know what l'm about to say, except l have a feeling about it.
    That l must repeat the words that come without my knowledge.'
    Lt. Philip J. Minns
    ltminns wrote: »
    Each character gets 10 slots. The purchase of each 5 additional are per CHARACTER.

... gets 10 slots when you are LTS. Subscribers got 5, F2P probably zilch(?)
  • breadandcircusesbreadandcircuses Member Posts: 2,355 Arc User
    edited November 2015
    xyquarze wrote: »

Odd, all Gold Members (Lifetime or Monthly Sub) should get 10, while Silver Members (F2P) get 5, as your "free sample" of Dry Dock. According to the Patch Notes, anyway; I haven't checked myself yet. Of course, you'd have to be a Gold Member at some point after Dry Dock goes live to actually get the 10 slots, so one would assume that former Gold Members that had lapsed to Silver (with their carryover benefits) would need to Sub for another month to get the Dry Dock slots/maximum unlocked.

As to the purpose... it's a way to collect more ships without heavily increasing the load on the servers. Personally, I'd figured Dry Dock would have been cheaper as an incentive to get us to stop cluttering the servers with our "Bank Ships" by convincing us to toss them in a "Ship Bank", but ah well. It's not all that useful for most of us, but that just means that most of us have no cause to spend the Zen to unlock more slots. The "Ship Account Bank" that some have commented on/wished for would have been worth far more Zen than they're charging, but the single-character access/unlock that we have is worth far less Zen than they're charging, so it's just a matter of missing the balance point. The main Dry Dock thread has a good post on the comparative value of Ship Slots vs. Dry Dock Slots, and I won't even buy Ship Slots because you have to buy them on a per-character basis and I like playing more than just a single Main.

For me, 400 Zen to add 5 single-character slots to all characters on an account might've been a worthy sale, or 2000 Zen for 5 account slots... but 400 Zen to add 5 single-character slots to one character is just not something I find worthwhile.
    Post edited by breadandcircuses on
    Ym9x9Ji.png
    meimeitoo wrote: »
    I do not like Geko ether.
    iconians wrote: »
    With each passing day I wonder if I stepped into an alternate reality. The Cubs win the world series. Donald Trump is President. Britain leaves the EU. STO gets a dedicated PvP season. Engineers are "out of control" in STO.​​
    You may be more correct in that, I am not too sure about the details, thus the "(?)". I only wanted to point out that this 10 slots are not for everyone but layered according to status.
  • mustrumridcully0mustrumridcully0 Member Posts: 12,963 Arc User

Gold = Subscriber, including LTS => 10 Slots
    Silver = F2P => 5 Slots.
    Star Trek Online Advancement: You start with lowbie gear, you end with Lobi gear.
  • I don't get why people do not enjoy the idea of Cryptic making money, that seems silly
  • bobbydazlersbobbydazlers Member Posts: 4,534 Arc User
    The only point I can see to it is that I have a place to store Fleet Ships and Lobi ships which cannot be reclaimed.

If you have a lot of these type ships, they're likely filling up all your ship slots. With this you could put it in Drydock and free the ship slot.

that is the point exactly, a fair amount of players have ships they are not using but they are not reclaimable, drydock is the solution to free up much needed slots.
    you know what works even better? add 100 ship slots.

there is a limit on the maximum number of slots that can be owned, this restriction is there to reduce the lag in the game to a bare minimum.
    when you load your character all the things like ship slots, inventory slots, bank slots and such are loaded in with them and you carry this where ever you go even though you cant always access them.
    having things like this puts a drain on the system so they have to implement hard limits on these things or players would go crazy buying them and crash the system.

drydock is a way they can give players more storage space for ships in a way that minimises the overall effect it will have on the gaming environment.

at the end of the day I cant see what players are beefing about, the drydock slots were free use them or don't what does it matter.

When I think about everything we've been through together,

maybe it's not the destination that matters, maybe it's the journey,

and if that journey takes a little longer,

so we can do something we all believe in,

I can't think of any place I'd rather be or any people I'd rather be with.

• kiralynkiralyn Member Posts: 1,576 Arc User
    stobg2015 wrote: »
    IMO, the only good reason to Dry Dock is if you own (and hang on to) every non-reclaimable ship you can get your hands on. I've got a lot of C-Store ships, but I don't tend to keep non-reclaimable ships around and I don't have any Fleet or Lockbox ships. Admiralty is NOT a good enough reason in my book.

Just a reminder - you don't need to keep ships around in order to use them for Admiralty. Dismiss away.

I'm a little bit confused here. We get 5 (10 for a LTS) dry dock slots for free and 5 more can be bought from the c-store for 400 zen to a maximum of 305 (310) slots. Isn't that just a little bit exaggerated? I mean you would have to spend 24'000 Zen to maximize your dry dock. Who is gonna do that? And why?

Honestly? The person who already has enough ships to need to buy 100+ drydock slots? Likely doesn't care about the money. :smile:

(Me, I'll be happy with the 5 free slots. I can keep some of my old leveling & mirror ships around, but still get 5 ship slots back.)
  • bobbydazlersbobbydazlers Member Posts: 4,534 Arc User
    edited November 2015
    kiralyn wrote: »
    stobg2015 wrote: »

Just a reminder - you don't need to keep ships around in order to use them for Admiralty. Dismiss away.

I'm a little bit confused here. We get 5 (10 for a LTS) dry dock slots for free and 5 more can be bought from the c-store for 400 zen to a maximum of 305 (310) slots. Isn't that just a little bit exaggerated? I mean you would have to spend 24'000 Zen to maximize your dry dock. Who is gonna do that? And why?

Honestly? The person who already has enough ships to need to buy 100+ drydock slots? Likely doesn't care about the money. :smile:

(Me, I'll be happy with the 5 free slots. I can keep some of my old leveling & mirror ships around, but still get 5 ship slots back.)

indeed 300+ drydock slots is overkill, bearing in mind you only really need slots for non-reclaimable ships.

When I think about everything we've been through together,

maybe it's not the destination that matters, maybe it's the journey,

and if that journey takes a little longer,

so we can do something we all believe in,

I can't think of any place I'd rather be or any people I'd rather be with.

Gold = Subscriber, including LTS => 10 Slots
    Silver = F2P => 5 Slots.
    I'm on a non-LTS subscription right now, and I still got only 5 slots per character.
    edited November 2015
    bearing in mind you only really need slots for non-reclaimable ships.

Well, the ship keeps its name in drydock, so there's that.
  • baudlbaudl Member Posts: 4,060 Arc User
    you know what works even better? add 100 ship slots.
    yep, this...I mean the 4 additional slots are pathetic. in my opinion giving 4 ship slots for free is basically what this drydock thing is.

in my case it even came too late, threw my fleet ships away 2 weeks before the admirality was anounced, so f*** that.

Go pro or go home