test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Scheduled Maintenance [November 12th, 2015]

Comments

• nebfabnebfab Member Posts: 672 Arc User
    I'm sure MOST of the playerbase would hail the announcement that the entire dev team are withdrawing into seclusion for 3-5 months and do just bug fixing and balancing content to make this game enjoyable again. I'm sorry, but i'm finding no pleasure in grinding/paying money to open lockboxes for broken items-to-be-nerfed at the future date. But that might just be me.
    Big-bang cleanups of the codebase sound good in theory, but in practice chances are you end up with code that simply does not work in a different way. But, yes, a good team can pull that one off... And a REALLY good team won't need them.

Big bang rebalances, on the other hand... Remember that other Star Wars MMO? No? That's why. Although that was an extreme case, the truth of it is that big rebalances are never very popular, with the very same people who clamour for them often being ones most dissatisfied with the results.
  • echattyechatty Member Posts: 5,913 Arc User
    I just go off and play another game while maint is on.

I'm also one of the lucky people who has a lot of time to play it, being a housewife and the only one who plays games. The husband doesn't and the kids are all grown and moved with their own computers to play it.

And they have been doing very well on maint day for awhile now. I try not to let things like unforeseen problems extending the maint bother me. Heck, AFKers in MI bother me more than the extended downtime.
    Now a LTS and loving it.
    Just because you spend money on this game, it does not entitle you to be a jerk if things don't go your way.
    I have come to the conclusion that I have a memory like Etch-A-Sketch. I shake my head and forget everything. :D
  • paulymanpaulyman Member Posts: 228 Arc User
    this situation makes me laugh..

IN GAME: ahh why are there so many bugs in this game why don't they fix them oh there are so many bugs...

ON FORUMS:
    JUST DO IT IN TWO PARTS AAAAA IF YOU SET A LIMIT YOU HAVE TO LISTING TO THAT LIMIT NOW I HAVE ONLY A HALF AN HOUR TO PLAY ME THE FORCE BEWHIT YOU AND SPEED STUFF UP

whit force i mean force from lucas art AND NOT THE DUMASS DISNEY THATS PIZZATST THE HOLE MOVIE UP
    dolour79 wrote: »
    You extend the downtime till 20:30 CET? Seriously?
    Is it asking for too much, for you to utilize more than one braincell, when setting times for maintainance?
    Whoever is responsible for the timing is really synonymous for "terrible". Epic fail.
    rmy1081 wrote: »
    For one time i'd like to see a reasonable and plausible explanation of how a prepared, checked and quality tested patch on your internal server turns into an ant farm when you release it to the Holodeck almost every time there's a maintenance. Unless it's none of the above -.-

For one I'd like to see a reasonable and plausible explanation of how people can think they know how something works but clearly doesn't. Have you ever worked on any large production of any kind? Stuff happens...

We haven't had an extended maintenance in months...

Please, stop hiding behind excuses. We may expect that we are dealing with professionals (devs) or they supposed to be professionals. A guy that screws it up in any large production, gets the blame. If he does it several times, he is being fired. A surgyn has only one shot to do it correct, and his proffession is far more complicated then IT. Yet, it's always this IT sector, especially the gaming branch of it, that is hiding their own TRIBBLE ups behind excuses like: "Stuff happens, Bugs are a part of software, It's common to software, No user-system is the same, blah blah blah, nag nag nag ...". Grow a pair, get a spine and pick up your responsibility and get some pride out of your work.

• duddutcher#4834 duddutcher Member Posts: 68 Arc User
    edited November 2015
    look if thay would a way to make a plan thay just need to plan how manney bugs thay will fix by reading the posts and stuff that you start a extra server (a copie of the real server) to test the bugs on on a pc or mac thats issnt used for fixing or coding you just use a regeler account and by your admin account give the test acound the levels and mission it needs. than you try al the different of ways of winning that go to the forum and give some kind of ip so some peapol can test the server out whit there mission and there accound stuff if you start the server just to be safe keep the test server file and the oringel file away from echother when you fix al the bugs than you cheack how long it wil take give the time but dont split it up or codse wil maby mess echother up becoase the fackt you may forgotten something of the new cods you just to fix an nother bug and THAN you upload it and dont do any thin more than that.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0 Arc User
    I agree! For every bug that is found, the dev must be punished! They should loose six months pay for EACH bug AND be banned from cofee and bacon for said duration.

Loose - not firmly or tightly fixed in place; detached or able to be detached.

"A loose tooth."

Lose - be deprived of or cease to have or retain (something), become unable to find (something or someone).

"Did you lose the game?"

The-more-you-know-300x218.png
  • jonathansouthjonathansouth Member Posts: 39 Arc User
    Since EU will be loosing our playable day as maintenance will have been going from 1500 to 2230 will you be extending the event to make up for lost time?
  • jormunrekjormunrek Member Posts: 27 Arc User
    Did I miss it in the notes or have they still not fixed the error in the doff mission database that occurred with the release of the admiralty system?
    There's this one thing that amuses me, sorta.

I've been playing this game for close to five years. Since day one I've been seeing people complain in the forums about being surprised about Thursday maintenance, or the fact that it's always in the middle of 'their gametime'. Oddly enough, it's often the exact same names that do the complaining as the week before, and the week before that, and before that, and so on and so forth....
    One would think that after five years, these people would have clued on...

well because they are trying to play it off cool.. I mean they think they are fooling you with their scenario.. in reality they need to just post "pay me attention look at me I'm an entitled child that thinks because I have been inconvenienced by a very small amount you should give me free stuff because when I get upset my mommy buys me a happy meal"
  • humblesheephumblesheep Member Posts: 423 Arc User
    The team is extending our maintenance window to 11:30 as we test out a new fix for the map issue.
    Oooh, I do hope your fixing Mirror Invasion.
  • duddutcher#4834 duddutcher Member Posts: 68 Arc User
    i hope you guysb can do something whit dis i will be back over aboud 20 min
  • teknesiateknesia Member Posts: 860 Arc User
    I'm sure that with a solid spell checker, some basic grammar and less rage there's a coherent message in what you said.
    edbf9204-c725-4dab-a35a-46626a4cb978.jpg
  • captnsaveahocaptnsaveaho Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited November 2015
    The wait time is REAL.... but the dev's do have their hands full dealing with all the whining ppl that have not realized Thur is maintenance day.
  • richarddoverricharddover Member Posts: 166 Arc User
    paulyman wrote: »
    well because they are trying to play it off cool.. I mean they think they are fooling you with their scenario.. in reality they need to just post "pay me attention look at me I'm an entitled child that thinks because I have been inconvenienced by a very small amount you should give me free stuff because when I get upset my mommy buys me a happy meal"

I mean, I get it. Til last year I lived in the Netherlands, so yes, maintenance schedule wasn't always great, but these kiddies just need to have a cookie and shut the...... well, you get it, right?
  • guljarolguljarol Member Posts: 979 Arc User
    saber1973a wrote: »
    I'm more angry about losing another whole day of Mirror Invasion Event - i'm from Europe and i'm coming home from work around 15:00 CET - now i lost another day of grinding my 16 toons in the 15-minutes event - each toon....

so in Europe a day is only 6 hours long?

If you work/go to school, your "gaming time" may be 6 hours long or less. Exactly when this extension happens. We (the EU folk) TRIBBLE about that every time it happens, and you're surprised we do it during a time limited event? :D​​
  • jamesstjamesjamesstjames Member Posts: 75 Arc User
    edited November 2015
    saber1973a wrote: »
    I'm more angry about losing another whole day of Mirror Invasion Event - i'm from Europe and i'm coming home from work around 15:00 CET - now i lost another day of grinding my 16 toons in the 15-minutes event - each toon....

so in Europe a day is only 6 hours long?

It is. It's a real pain in the TRIBBLE getting anything done.
    There's this one thing that amuses me, sorta.

I've been playing this game for close to five years. Since day one I've been seeing people complain in the forums about being surprised about Thursday maintenance, or the fact that it's always in the middle of 'their gametime'. Oddly enough, it's often the exact same names that do the complaining as the week before, and the week before that, and before that, and so on and so forth....
    One would think that after five years, these people would have clued on...

What surprises me is that with so many experts on how the game works, why doesn't Cryptic just hire them all? Clearly the people here know how to run, maintain and develop the game better.
    tumblr_meud0dq0CT1rq8ga2o1_250.gif
  • dragnridrdragnridr Member Posts: 671 Arc User
    Man. Have these players never heard of unforseen problems? Not being able to play STO will not kill you. Yes, the devs should deduct the cooldown times on events based on how long maintenance takes place, or either extend it for another day to make up for it, but still. There are other games out there to occupy your time. DCUO servers go down daily for about 30 minutes to an hour. So, about 4 hours once in a while won't kill you. Stop chewing out the devs for trying to fix problems and chew them out for letting problems get that bad.

If the devs let more players access tribble and if the devs ACTUALLY LISTEN to the players on tribble, then maybe these problems wouldn't be here.

But that is a whole other can of tribbles.
    Since EU will be loosing our playable day as maintenance will have been going from 1500 to 2230 will you be extending the event to make up for lost time?

why would they? there are extra days built into the event anyway. one day of maintenance being extended by 2 hours should not have that much of an impact. if you only have 2 hours to play over the course of almost 3 weeks then you wont get the event reward anyway.
  • darkhorse281darkhorse281 Member Posts: 256 Arc User
    edited November 2015
    jormunrek wrote: »
    Did I miss it in the notes or have they still not fixed the error in the doff mission database that occurred with the release of the admiralty system?

Was not in release notes so I wouldn't hold my breath.
  • royalsovereignroyalsovereign Member Posts: 1,344 Arc User
    swamarian wrote: »
    It's my impression that very little of STO was developed elsewhere, so they're responsible for everything.
    Actually, it is built on the 'Cryptic engine' which was developed for City of Heroes. And while that sounds like it is Cryptic's engine, they should know how to fix it, the staff has completely turned over 2-3 or more times. That game launched in 2004, so the engine itself has been in use for 12-13 years now.

As I understand it, the original intent was to use a more modern engine, but Cryptic took over the license from another company that walked away from it, and CBS basically told them, "You've got 6 months to get this to market or we will yank the license". Frankly, given that environment, I'm surprised that this game is halfway playable.

"You Iconians just hung a vacancy sign on your asses and my foot's looking for a room!"
    --Red Annorax
    I want to thank all you European players.. the images of you rolling around in the floor in sheer misery because you have "lost a whole day" makes me chuckle... please stop it. you are probably scaring your cat. are you really sure how clean that floor is?
  • eristhevortaeristhevorta Member Posts: 1,049 Bug Hunter
    I hope the murr event will get extended by 24 hours to give everyone a chance to gain on the lost day in Europe. If that's gunna happen, everything's all fine.
    "Everything about the Jham'Hadar is lethal!" - Eris
    Original Join Date: January 30th, 2010
  • pwgegnrepwgegnre Member Posts: 10 Cryptic Developer
    Hey all!
    Trendy had to take off for a meeting, so I'll be letting you know when Holodeck is unlocked. Should be soon!
  • thegreathibikithegreathibiki Member Posts: 98 Arc User
    Tribbles ate a planet again didn't they. Jeez I see why the Klingons tried to exterminate the species. Makes me end up wasting time waiting for the Cryptic Continuum to rebuild it. I need to kill a few dozen hundred evil versions of our federation to get something and this is slowing me down. Darn tribbles.
  • element300element300 Member Posts: 7 Arc User
    I've never heard such pitiable crying and pouting in my life. Waaaa! I can't get on the game! Waaaaa! Talk about your first world problems...
    pwgegnre wrote: »
    Hey all!
    Trendy had to take off for a meeting, so I'll be letting you know when Holodeck is unlocked. Should be soon!

that's ok you are hotter than trendy... how are things in HQ today.. *swats at trolls* yes I know this isn't grindr
  • thegreathibikithegreathibiki Member Posts: 98 Arc User
    And we're back!
    https://youtu.be/KO_3Qgib6RQ here watch missy's new video.. you are very welcome
  • thetaninethetanine Member Posts: 1,367 Arc User
    pwgegnre wrote: »
    Hey all!

Is that in 24 hour increments or code for 'by the book'? If Mister Scott's estimations are correct, we should have warp power in Three Minutes.​​
    STAR TREK
    lD8xc9e.png
  • empireofsteveempireofsteve Member Posts: 665 Arc User
    sov42 - My phone keyboard does not like me :p
    NERF CANNONS - THEY NEED A 50% NERF
    CRUISERS NEED A 206% HULL BUFF
  • pwgegnrepwgegnre Member Posts: 10 Cryptic Developer
    Holodeck is unlocked! Get back to it, Captains!