test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Russian localization?

Hello there! Questions to moderators - do you have any plans translate STO in Russian language? I don't understand why this has not been done? Russian localization attracts a huge number of new players (all countries of the former USSR).
Best Regards

Comments

• Options
    rahmkota19rahmkota19 Member Posts: 1,929 Arc User
    As a Dutch guy, my best bet would be that either Cryptic, or more likely Perfect World Entertainment, currently don't see a full translation of STO in Russian to be benefitting them in any way. PWE is really focussed on the Asian and Euroamerican market when it comes to gaming. I don't think they really are showing any activity in or around Russia.

Not to say I would have any problems whatsoever with a Russian translation and/or influx of Russian/former USSR country people in STO, I just don't see it happening quite fast. That'd mean a really big shake-up in PWE.​​
  • Options
    gulberatgulberat Member Posts: 5,505 Arc User
    Hello there! Questions to moderators - do you have any plans translate STO in Russian language? I don't understand why this has not been done? Russian localization attracts a huge number of new players (all countries of the former USSR).
    Best Regards

As someone trying to learn Russian, what a fantastic toy this would be. :) I wonder if the existing non-English versions are available for use in the U.S.?

I would certainly support your request and would download it if offered.

Christian Gaming Community Fleets--Faith, Fun, and Fellowship! See the website and PM for more. :-)
    Proudly F2P.  Signature image by gulberat. Avatar image by balsavor.deviantart.com.
  • Options
    xiesha911xiesha911 Member Posts: 36 Arc User
    edited November 2015
    Oh sorry didnt know that "required to use English only"
    thx gulberat.
    i will edit little bit

"It will never happen ...

The bulk of the players are Americans and Germans. In 2 years of playing the game, I met only one fleet - "Russian starfleet" and one Russian-speaking player (after a failed STF he lying "dead", called all "goats" - (morons) ... lol. No one understand. Except me).

STO - best f2p (100% f2p) Sci-Fi MMO, and I really do not want to see here toxic "shkololo-Trololo" ppl [immature/schoolboyish behavior, I think? - something like that, and they are love100% f2p so much]. I'm tired of that community when was playing different "localized"/released in Russia MMO. For this reason, I am now only playing on US / European servers ...

Then, the English language is easy to learn ... and why not do that if you like this game? And in your life it can be useful. because English - the international language."
    Post edited by xiesha911 on
  • Options
    edited November 2015
    @xiesha911, Unfortunately we are required to use English only on these forums. :/ My Russian is not yet good enough to provide a full translation, so I've resorted to Google, with a few tweaks on my end.
    It will never happen ...

The bulk of the players are Americans and Germans. In 2 years of playing the game, I met only one fleet - "Russian starfleet" and one Russian-speaking player (after a failed STF he lying "dead", called all goats ... lol. No one knew. Except me).

STO - best f2p (currently f2p) skayfay* MMO, and I really do not want to crowd the court ponabezhali* toxic shkololo-Trololo [immature/schoolboyish behavior, I think?]. I'm fed up to the ears of the "community" playing different MMO and reservation. For this reason, I am now only play on US / European servers ...

Then, the English language is easy to learn ... and why not do that if the game is like? And in life can be useful. because English - the international language.

*Sorry, translation apps refusing to give me a definition

Christian Gaming Community Fleets--Faith, Fun, and Fellowship! See the website and PM for more. :-)
    Proudly F2P.  Signature image by gulberat. Avatar image by balsavor.deviantart.com.
  • Options
    nebfabnebfab Member Posts: 672 Arc User
    edited November 2015
    @xlesha911 Unfortunately, being able to speak English doesn't stop one from being just the type of player you don't want... Fortunately, if you understand him well enough to be offended, it at least means you learned English better than typical game localisation team... Why anyone would want mockeries of grammar, style and idiom they usually churn out is beyond me.

P.S. [edit: Russian text deleted, just in case.]
    (rough) Translation of what was there: Although, I haven't played translated games for a while... Maybe it's somewhat better than it used to be 10 years ago when often you had to know English anyway, and know it well, to guess what exactly was meant.
    Post edited by nebfab on
  • Options
    nebfabnebfab Member Posts: 672 Arc User
    gulberat wrote: »

*Sorry, translation apps refusing to give me a definition
    Skayfay - SciFi
    "ponabezhali" - err... "rushed in" (although there's a lot of interesting morphology and subtle semantics going on in this word that's not easily translatable.)
  • Options
    ladytiamat666ladytiamat666 Member Posts: 276 Arc User
    edited November 2015
    Be careful what you wish for... Our french "translation" is an half-translated mess (some parts of some missions's texts are in french, others still in english... for the same mission), made by someone who obviously can't correctly understand the english text... For example, the title "beta of the pack" (for killing x Hirogens) has been "translated" in "beta du paquet" (=beta of the package) instead of "beta de la meute" (meute = pack, like in wolf pack). And there are dozens of bad translations like this one in the french version of the game. And worse, when this person can't understand something, he / she "translates" one sentence to summarize entire paragraphs of english text or tens of seconds of english voice-over. To be clear, he / she summarizes what he / she understands, which sadly is a little part of the original text. So the french translation is only useful for someone who doesn't know english at all.

I hope that if some day there is a russian translation, it will be made by a skilled translator.
    signature%201.jpg_zpsklpuyd7v.png
  • Options
    edited November 2015
    On the other hand, apparently the German localization contained a critical line of missing dialogue that was inexplicably cut from the English release of "Midnight"--i.e. how T'Ket found out Sela was a Romulan. Go figure!! :D

• Options
    oleksandr86oleksandr86 Member Posts: 7 Arc User
    I frankly enemy of Russian language (I'm from Ukraine), but I understand that Ukrainian localization will not happen in this century. Therefore I agree to Russian translation as well want to understand the text of the game. I think that PWE can attract fans of the game for a high-quality translation in all languages)