test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Glossary of Acronyms

Someone needs to write a glossary terms for newbies. I've been on this for two years and have picked up most of it, but every now and then someone tosses out an acronym that I can't figure out, I'm sure newbies are scratching their collective heads too. Tonight's new one was "AFK", in reference to PVE missions. Anyone wanna help me out with that? From what I can tell it's in reference to lazy schmucks who sit on the side and wait without doing anything. Terms like DOFF, BUFF, NERF, and tons of terms referenced with ship equipment, weapons, consoles, yadda yadda yadda. I know when I started I was googling these terms but most times I never actually found them spelled out. Just the acronym. Anyone want to go to town with this? Or am I just another TRIBBLE who hasn't found the one that exists yet.

Comments

• berginsbergins Member Posts: 3,453 Arc User
    edited November 2015
    AFK=Away From Keyboard

Not STO-specific, but you might check out this page: http://mmos.com/mmo-terms
    "Logic is a little tweeting bird chirping in a meadow. Logic is a wreath of pretty flowers which smell BAD." - Spock
  • rattler2rattler2 Member Posts: 58,008 Community Moderator
    • DPS: Damage Per Second
    • DL: Dilithium
    • ECs: Energy Credits
    • DOff: Duty OFFicer
    • BOff: Bridge OFFicer
    • DOT: Damage Over Time
    • AP: AntiProton
    • GPL: Gold Pressed Latinum
    • LF: Looking For (insert appropriate term here, be it Buy, Sell, Trade, Group, Guild...)
    • LTS: LifeTime Subscription
    • PUG: Pick Up Group
    • PvE: Player vs Environment
    • PvP: Player vs Player
    • ISA: Infected Space Advanced
    • IGA: Infected Ground Advanced
    • CSA: Cure Space Advanced
    • CGA: Cure Ground Advanced
    • KSA: Kitomer Space Advanced
    • KGA: Kitomer Ground Advanced
    • T#: Tier (insert number)
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
  • oldravenman3025oldravenman3025 Member Posts: 1,892 Arc User
    bergins wrote: »
    AFK=Away From Keyboard

For starters...

And one that is widely misused on these boards.

Not everybody who is dicking about is "AFK". "Leeching" would be more appropriate.
  • kjwashingtonkjwashington Member Posts: 2,529 Arc User
    DOff/BOff (only idiots capitalize all 4 letters) stands for Duty Officer or Bridge Officer.
    BUFF and NERF aren't acronyms as far as I can tell.
    Buff refers to increasing the effectiveness of something. I believe it comes from the term "buff" which is usually used as a synonym for muscular.
    Nerf means to decrease the effectiveness of something. I'm not sure where this one comes from, but my best guess is it references nerf guns, which are weaker than regular guns.
    FaW%20meme_zpsbkzfjonz.jpg
    Support 90 degree arc limitation on BFaW! Save our ships from looking like flying disco balls of dumb!
    DOff/BOff (only idiots capitalize all 4 letters) stands for Duty Officer or Bridge Officer.
    BUFF and NERF aren't acronyms as far as I can tell.
    Buff refers to increasing the effectiveness of something. I believe it comes from the term "buff" which is usually used as a synonym for muscular.
    Nerf means to decrease the effectiveness of something. I'm not sure where this one comes from, but my best guess is it references nerf guns, which are weaker than regular guns.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nerf_(video_gaming)
    Methinks... you may be right.
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
  • gfreeman98gfreeman98 Member Posts: 1,200 Arc User
    Most of these are general terms. Wasn't there a comprehensive, STO-specific list posted at one time? (It was on the old forums)
    screenshot_2015-03-01-resize4.png
  • jbmaverickjbmaverick Member Posts: 935 Arc User
    Here's a thread from about 2 years ago, although you might have to search through it a bit.

http://forum.arcgames.com/startrekonline/discussion/1138795/stol-acronym-abbreviations-list

The universe has a wonderful sense of humor. The trick is learning how to take a joke.
  • tigercatgirltigercatgirl Member Posts: 108 Arc User
    DPS=Damage Per Second.....NOTE: the weapons in STO on ships actually fire in volleys over seconds. So the DPS listed on a weapon is actually DOT (Damage over time) or DPV (Damage Per Volley). Volley also includes a recyle time, so for example a beam array fires 1 shot every second for 4 seconds and then takes 1.5 seconds before it fires again. The volley length is 5.5 seconds so that is why a 1000 point array shows a (9##) for its DPS.

So if your confused about DPS talk in chats...don't be! Most people playing do not know how the weapons actually work in the game. Most mmo's keep their damage figures private and use weird log rythm equations. When you hear someone saying they do 150,000 dps...they are not actually doing that. Trust me, they aren't...there are resistances, and dodge numbers and other factors that reduce that damage to a much smaller number.
    DPS=Damage Per Second.....NOTE: the weapons in STO on ships actually fire in volleys over seconds. So the DPS listed on a weapon is actually DOT (Damage over time) or DPV (Damage Per Volley). Volley also includes a recyle time, so for example a beam array fires 1 shot every second for 4 seconds and then takes 1.5 seconds before it fires again. The volley length is 5.5 seconds so that is why a 1000 point array shows a (9##) for its DPS.

So if your confused about DPS talk in chats...don't be! Most people playing do not know how the weapons actually work in the game. Most mmo's keep their damage figures private and use weird log rythm equations. When you hear someone saying they do 150,000 dps...they are not actually doing that. Trust me, they aren't...there are resistances, and dodge numbers and other factors that reduce that damage to a much smaller number.

Unless we're talking upper level WoW I think. A friend of mine plays and he can get some pretty high numbers. Especially since I think the current level cap is actuall 100.