test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Season 11 - Mac Login Issue

Comments

• mhall85mhall85 Member Posts: 2,852 Arc User1
    Yeah, porthosjr has it right.

The primary task should be to fix the Mac client as quickly as possible, with no further breaks. Then, offering a way for those who missed the 3 T5 ships on S11 launch day and the ENT pack promo is a fair move, and I expect this to happen. And hey, if you want to throw a spec point or two at us for the potential XP loss... fine, but I personally don't feel THAT is quite necessary.

Anything beyond that is just plain ridiculous. No reason for any of that.
    d87926bd02aaa4eb12e2bb0fbc1f7061.jpg
  • g0mjabbarg0mjabbar Member Posts: 19 Arc User
    I launched the Mac version and have been playing for over an hour with no crashes or other issues. I hope others have the same luck.
  • fulginfulgin Member Posts: 15 Arc User
    Same here. There are some graphical glitches, and I saw an NPC with the name "Fatal_Error", so there's still hinkiness in the background. Haven't attempted any missions, just logging and doffing.
  • mhall85mhall85 Member Posts: 2,852 Arc User1
    Well, I fired off Admiralty missions... then beamed to DS9 and crashed hard while on the Promenade.

Back to the Wineskin for me.
    d87926bd02aaa4eb12e2bb0fbc1f7061.jpg
  • eighrichteeighrichte Member Posts: 338 Arc User
    edited November 2015
    Yeah, I'm not looking for anything "extra" here. I wouldn't turn it down, but I'd just like the missed promotion items, or their equivalent in zen (though that would be quite generous). And though I appreciate the apology, I'd appreciate more an explanation of how it happened and how it can be prevented from happening again.

I'm kind of more curious about how they figure out who gets them. Can they even tell who's logging in with the Mac client? Or does it just look like a Windows client at their end?
  • sf911sf911 Member Posts: 284 Arc User
    To be honest, at this stage, I don't care so much about missed promotions or compensation.

I would just like the game to run at least as it did pre-S11...
  • johnwatson71johnwatson71 Member Posts: 187 Arc User
    @Devs @pwlaughingtrendy I can confirm that I am officially back on the real mac client with no problems, except for the ones that remain unfixed (like the graphics problems). But other than that, its pretty smooth sailing right now!
    7aamriW.png
  • xylylxylyl Member Posts: 45 Arc User
    Huzzah!! My withdrawal pains are almost gone! So far no problems except for a load of catching-up to do.

Thank you Cryptic!

Cheers & Jolan'tru ... -Corps Admiral Cybyl

Now as for my requisition to add Vegemite to the replicator menu ... :smile:
    Thus spake Admiral Cybyl:  Alea iacta est. Ibis redibis,numquam per bello peribis. Ergo, per aspera ad astra!
  • kdaaronkdaaron Member Posts: 14 Arc User
    edited November 2015
    Patching now, fingers crossed.

Success :smile:
    Post edited by kdaaron on
    My goal is to build the strongest ship in the federation fleet
    edited November 2015
    Well...for what it's worth, I managed to play 1 hour with no crashes.
    I understand others are having issues with crashes though.
    @Devs @pwlaughingtrendy I can confirm that I am officially back on the real mac client with no problems, except for the ones that remain unfixed (like the graphics problems). But other than that, its pretty smooth sailing right now!

Welp I jinxed it and seemed to have spoken to soon. I now get stuck at the "accessing login server" screen...

Sigh.
    7aamriW.png
  • kdaaronkdaaron Member Posts: 14 Arc User

Welp I jinxed it and seemed to have spoken to soon. I now get stuck at the "accessing login server" screen...

Sigh.

The server is down. Relax.
    My goal is to build the strongest ship in the federation fleet
    kdaaron wrote: »

Sigh.

yes i just found out, and i'm plenty relaxed thanks.
    7aamriW.png
  • anjc#8825 anjc Member Posts: 291 Arc User
    kdaaron wrote: »

Sigh.

yes i just found out, and i'm plenty relaxed thanks.

*facepalm* oh well, thats life :smile:
  • quilsnivquilsniv Member Posts: 11 Arc User
    Same. About an hour into my gameplay, the server went down. Oh, well. That hour of playing without the five-second command delays was a sight for sore eyes (those sore eyes being on my computer for over two hours to see if Cryptic fixed the client)
  • traisjamestraisjames Member Posts: 8 Arc User
    Hi All,

We have an update regarding the Mac issues that we are currently facing. Through our testing, we have found another issue that is preventing players from being able to play our game on the Mac platform. The experience that we would ship tomorrow does not meet the quality bar for our game. With that said, we are continuing to iterate on the Mac version of the game and hope to have more details on when we will be bringing the game back up.

We appreciate your patience as we continue to sort out these login issues.

Alex

If OS version makes a difference I was on for a few hours in the game before it went down due to the server problems. I am running 10.11.2 Beta (15C27e). Few graphics issues but deffently playable.
  • arionisaarionisa Member Posts: 1,421 Arc User
    Being one of those unfortunate Windows users who ended up not being able to play, and missing the neat free stuff, I certainly hope they find a way for us unfortunate people to get the stuff. I've seen a lot of people saying that it's no big deal missing out on the free ship(s) ...... for them maybe it isn't that big of a deal. For me, and a bunch of others, those free ships are far better than anything we currently own
    LTS and loving it.
    Ariotex.png
  • bwbriscoebwbriscoe Member Posts: 72 Arc User
    Well after the server went down managed to log in. But it seems I'm crashing to the desktop every five minutes...sigh...
  • arionisaarionisa Member Posts: 1,421 Arc User
    bwbriscoe wrote: »
    Well after the server went down managed to log in. But it seems I'm crashing to the desktop every five minutes...sigh...

A strange thing I noticed. 2 days ago I finally got in again, only by using safe mode, proxy server, windowed and the DX9 command switch, but I would still crash almost every time I changed maps (better than crashing when coming into the game, but not much).

Wild hair, I went in and quit using compatibility mode (I run Win10, been in compatibility mode for so long I forgot I was even using it), no more safe mode, no more proxy server (still using DX9 command switch though) no more map crashes, running full screen, everything is actually running very smoothly. The only annoying thing is that the game is extremely laggy for 2-5 minutes when first entering the game, but after that initial bit it runs just fine .... as long as I don't actually exit the game completely.

So basically, if you have been running in compatibility mode, try turning it off and see what happens.

LTS and loving it.
    Ariotex.png
  • primar13primar13 Member Posts: 1,896 Bug Hunter

So Exactly what was indicated in the Patch Notes. The Devs are still working on it.
    Mac clients can now log in but experience a crash a few minutes into play.

• razorblade#3490 razorblade Member Posts: 10 Arc User
    When I exit out it won't let me close the engage window or quit star trek and i have to hold down the power button to turn it off when is this issue going to be fixed ARC sounds like mac users are being ripped off and I talked to one of your game masters and he says your aware of it but it seems you don't mention it anywhere I want an answer to this problem
    Captain Stephen Harms
    U.S.S Enterprise(in game U.S.S EnterpriseXXIII)
  • vladimir10#3604 vladimir10 Member Posts: 3 Arc User
    Pretty much unplayable in that it crashes within 2-3 minutes of starting. Didn't notice any other problems, but then again, didn't have time to play it enough. Hopefully they can figure it out quickly.
  • iathoriathor Member Posts: 71 Arc User
    For me, today's updated Mac client is now working as well as the client just before S11. One of the usual (since summer update) crashes on zoning into a social map (Fleet Mine ground map), but generally okay to use. Went all the way through "Sunrise" without problems. Running 10.10.5 on late 2013 Retina Macbook Pro 15-inch.

If the devs are working on fixing the zone-in crashes, that's a bonus as far as I'm concerned.

It also seems we're getting better communication with the Mac users, which I applaud.
    primar13 wrote: »

So Exactly what was indicated in the Patch Notes. The Devs are still working on it.
    Mac clients can now log in but experience a crash a few minutes into play.

Sorry, you'll have to excuse me as I'm a brand new user. Are they working on fixing this? It's such a shame as a I signed up (and paid) as a Mac user thinking this game was compatible but as it stands...it's not.
  • eighrichteeighrichte Member Posts: 338 Arc User
    Well, so far I've been playing for about an hour and a half without any problems. Pretty much the same performance as I saw before S11, which is to say, graphics quality is lower than when playing in the Wineskin wrapper, even when settings are turned up higher, but framerate is significantly better than in the Wineskin wrapper.

In case system info will help you diagnose the crash that's happening to some players:

Model Name: Mac mini
    Model Identifier: Macmini5,2
    Processor Name: Intel Core i7
    Processor Speed: 2.7 GHz
    Number of Processors: 1
    Total Number of Cores: 2
    L2 Cache (per Core): 256 KB
    L3 Cache: 4 MB
    Memory: 8 GB
    Boot ROM Version: MM51.0077.B12
    SMC Version (system): 1.75f0

Chipset Model: AMD Radeon HD 6630M
    Type: GPU
    Bus: PCIe
    PCIe Lane Width: x8
    VRAM (Total): 256 MB
    Vendor: ATI (0x1002)
    Device ID: 0x6741
    Revision ID: 0x0000
    ROM Revision: 113-C0171H-561
    EFI Driver Version: 01.00.561
    Displays:
    Acer H274HL:
    Resolution: 1920 x 1080 @ 60 Hz
    Pixel Depth: 32-Bit Color (ARGB8888)

OS X 10.11.1 (15B42)
    When I exit out it won't let me close the engage window or quit star trek and i have to hold down the power button to turn it off when is this issue going to be fixed ARC sounds like mac users are being ripped off and I talked to one of your game masters and he says your aware of it but it seems you don't mention it anywhere I want an answer to this problem

The problem you describe (the launcher won't quit) is very common, and very annoying, but you don't have to reboot. Hold down command-option-escape together to bring up a process list. You can then select the launcher and hit Force Quit.
  • razorblade#3490 razorblade Member Posts: 10 Arc User
    > @eighrichte said:
    > Well, so far I've been playing for about an hour and a half without any problems. Pretty much the same performance as I saw before S11, which is to say, graphics quality is lower than when playing in the Wineskin wrapper, even when settings are turned up higher, but framerate is significantly better than in the Wineskin wrapper.
    >
    > In case system info will help you diagnose the crash that's happening to some players:
    >
    > Model Name: Mac mini
    > Model Identifier: Macmini5,2
    > Processor Name: Intel Core i7
    > Processor Speed: 2.7 GHz
    > Number of Processors: 1
    > Total Number of Cores: 2
    > L2 Cache (per Core): 256 KB
    > L3 Cache: 4 MB
    > Memory: 8 GB
    > Boot ROM Version: MM51.0077.B12
    > SMC Version (system): 1.75f0
    >
    > Chipset Model: AMD Radeon HD 6630M
    > Type: GPU
    > Bus: PCIe
    > PCIe Lane Width: x8
    > VRAM (Total): 256 MB
    > Vendor: ATI (0x1002)
    > Device ID: 0x6741
    > Revision ID: 0x0000
    > ROM Revision: 113-C0171H-561
    > EFI Driver Version: 01.00.561
    > Displays:
    > Acer H274HL:
    > Resolution: 1920 x 1080 @ 60 Hz
    > Pixel Depth: 32-Bit Color (ARGB8888)
    >
    > OS X 10.11.1 (15B42)
    > razorblade razorblade#3490
    >
    > wrote: »
    >
    > When I exit out it won't let me close the engage window or quit star trek and i have to hold down the power button to turn it off when is this issue going to be fixed ARC sounds like mac users are being ripped off and I talked to one of your game masters and he says your aware of it but it seems you don't mention it anywhere I want an answer to this problem
    >
    >
    >
    >
    > The problem you describe (the launcher won't quit) is very common, and very annoying, but you don't have to reboot. Hold down command-option-escape together to bring up a process list. You can then select the launcher and hit Force Quit.

Thanks man this will help a lot
    Captain Stephen Harms
    U.S.S Enterprise(in game U.S.S EnterpriseXXIII)
  • psycoticvulcanpsycoticvulcan Member Posts: 4,160 Arc User
    I was able to play using the normal launcher for a good two hours today, and with every indication I could have kept going. If anything, stability and performance were better than normal.
    NJ9oXSO.png
    "Critics who say that the optimistic utopia Star Trek depicted is now outmoded forget the cultural context that gave birth to it: Star Trek was not a manifestation of optimism when optimism was easy. Star Trek declared a hope for a future that nobody stuck in the present could believe in. For all our struggles today, we haven’t outgrown the need for stories like Star Trek. We need tales of optimism, of heroes, of courage and goodness now as much as we’ve ever needed them."
    -Thomas Marrone
  • xylylxylyl Member Posts: 45 Arc User
    I was able to play using the normal launcher for a good two hours today, and with every indication I could have kept going. If anything, stability and performance were better than normal.
    I played 4+ hours so far without any problems. Framerate, graphics, lag issues, latency, etc. are better than before Season 11, it appears.

A joy to have played the FE during my fervent and frenzied catch-up effort.

Jolan'tru and thank you again Cryptic ...  Admiral Cybyl

I can just taste the cuppa tea and Vegemite cheesy toast from the replicator just about now ... :smile:
    Thus spake Admiral Cybyl:  Alea iacta est. Ibis redibis,numquam per bello peribis. Ergo, per aspera ad astra!
    edited November 2015
    I've now played a total of 3/4 hrs since the fix and experienced no crashes. Seems to work fine on my machine. Same performance a pre-S11 as far as I can tell so far. Knock on wood.

Even managed a couple of high-end ISA DPS runs (50/75K channel teams) with not major issues (these runs tend to be very taxing on the system and can result in crashes).

My specs are:

MacBook Pro (Retina, 15-inch, Mid 2014)
    Processor: 2.2 GHz Intel Core i7
    Memory: 16 GB 1600 MHz DDR3
    Graphics: Intel Iris Pro 1536 MB
    250gb SSD drive

Running OSX Yosemite Version 10.10.5

Hopefully there will soon be a fix for those experiencing the crashes.
    Post edited by sf911 on
    I can play for less than a minute before it hangs and then eventually crashes to the desktop :(
This discussion has been closed.