test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

The Curse of being a Veteran (And Others Ignorance)

Comments

• Options
    mackbolan01mackbolan01 Member Posts: 580 Arc User
    At 46 years old, should I worry about what an under 30 thinks of my DPS ? HELL NO !!!!!!!!!​​
  • Options
    tempusmagustempusmagus Member Posts: 107 Arc User
    How is it that you know these people are high dpsers that bash others? People making these claims say they don't know their own dps because they never parse. If you don't parse, you don't know what the other people's dps are. The only people I see that bash anyone else in queues are the mediocre or less players. I know what to expect from pugged runs and enjoying seeing someone do something different or an unexpected positive outcome. I guarantee you that if I see you doing 1/4 to 1/10th my dps, but taking 40%+ of the damage in, you'll be getting a nice "thank you" pm from me. The people that spend all their time bashing dpser sound like a pretty petty little bunch. It's like you guys think you are superior because we aren't playing the game the way you want us to play.
  • Options
    e30erneste30ernest Member Posts: 1,794 Arc User
    The people that spend all their time bashing dpser sound like a pretty petty little bunch. It's like you guys think you are superior because we aren't playing the game the way you want us to play.

Elitists....

:p
  • Options
    mainamaina Member Posts: 430 Arc User
    At 46 years old, should I worry about what an under 30 thinks of my DPS ? HELL NO !!!!!!!!!​​

Does that mean if they are 47 years old you'll worry?

I've seen less drama in large groups of preteens than this forum.

gHF1ABR.jpg
  • Options
    rattler2rattler2 Member Posts: 58,018 Community Moderator
    I heard the Neverwinter forums are worse.
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
  • Options
    nikephorusnikephorus Member Posts: 2,744 Arc User
    Silly newb with your equally silly space fairy magic. Delete that character and roll a tac and pew pew crtd doomroll or be insulted by angry teenagers!
    Tza0PEl.png
  • Options
    samt1996samt1996 Member Posts: 2,856 Arc User
    I have five sisters... my house is calmer and more rational when they achieve simultaneous menstrual cycles then this forum has been at any point in time.

True story.
  • Options
    samt1996 wrote: »
    I have five sisters... my house is calmer and more rational when they achieve simultaneous menstrual cycles then this forum has been at any point in time.

True story.

O...k...
    Am I the only one weirded out by that?
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
  • Options
    The analogy is apt.
  • Options
    trycksh0ttrycksh0t Member Posts: 148 Arc User
    samt1996 wrote: »

True story.

The terribly sad thing, though, is this is actually one of the more civil MMO forums I frequent...
  • Options
    I believe you. Lol

Nevermind places like twitter and reddit.
  • Options
    dragonkata81dragonkata81 Member Posts: 37 Arc User
    Fellow Sci Captain here, and to be perfectly honest I've gotten tired of CARRYING all the damn tacs in this game. Numbers simply don't reflect the key roles a strong Science character can bring to an STF.

Well-timed Grav Well in ISA? Try completing the optionals without one.

Stripping the buffs from the ENT? How many of you PEW-PEW glass cannons carry tachyon beam or Energy Syphon?

Do all that and still manage 30k on an 3 weapon non-upgraded ship? Yeah, you can keep your stupid numbers.

Ground is even worse. I lost count of the number of times I played BHA, only to be paired with 4 TACs, who were all DEAD before for first zone was cleared. An AOE Sci character on ground will dominate anything else out there, hence all the new magic kit bits, got to keep the majority happy.

Personally, I've now abandoned the STFs, they're little better than the Red Alerts and have ten times the angst. And since the release of the Admiralty system, I've made 5 Salavaged Tech and more than 30 VR mats, so I simply have no need to play with people who think that NUMBERS EQUALS STRATEGY!
  • Options
    nightkennightken Member Posts: 2,824 Arc User
    Fellow Sci Captain here, and to be perfectly honest I've gotten tired of CARRYING all the damn tacs in this game. Numbers simply don't reflect the key roles a strong Science character can bring to an STF.

Stripping the buffs from the ENT? How many of you PEW-PEW glass cannons carry tachyon beam or Energy Syphon?

Do all that and still manage 30k on an 3 weapon non-upgraded ship? Yeah, you can keep your stupid numbers.

Ground is even worse. I lost count of the number of times I played BHA, only to be paired with 4 TACs, who were all DEAD before for first zone was cleared. An AOE Sci character on ground will dominate anything else out there, hence all the new magic kit bits, got to keep the majority happy.

Personally, I've now abandoned the STFs, they're little better than the Red Alerts and have ten times the angst. And since the release of the Admiralty system, I've made 5 Salavaged Tech and more than 30 VR mats, so I simply have no need to play with people who think that NUMBERS EQUALS STRATEGY!

actually my tact does have tactyon beam. and my sci rom is the one getting real space magic. :P

if I stop posting it doesn't make you right it. just means I don't have enough rum to continue interacting with you.
  • Options

Tactics trump Brute Force IMO.
    Maybe that's one reason why my main, even though she's a tac, flies Cruisers and got good with Warp Plasma.
  • Options
    semalda226semalda226 Member Posts: 1,994 Arc User
    It's why I say and still believe that SCIENCE IS THE ULTIMATE POWER!
    tumblr_mxl2nyOKII1rizambo1_500.png

• Options
    nightkennightken Member Posts: 2,824 Arc User
    edited November 2015
    semalda226 wrote: »
    It's why I say and still believe that SCIENCE IS THE ULTIMATE POWER!

tumblr_lvga6wARjj1qdku5lo1_250.gif

sorry had to do it... :P

if I stop posting it doesn't make you right it. just means I don't have enough rum to continue interacting with you.
  • Options
    Oh you don't want me to play one of my Sci characters. I turn into a PYRO when I play "Blaze the Cat" M'Ress.

Still need to get some space Plasma weapons for her though. She's only a ground Pyro right now with Exothermic Induction Field.
  • Options
    semalda226semalda226 Member Posts: 1,994 Arc User
    Romulan rep beams are probably your best bet that or corrosive
    tumblr_mxl2nyOKII1rizambo1_500.png

• Options
    narthaisnarthais Member Posts: 452 Arc User
    edited November 2015
    My main fed is also a Tac captain, but she flies a fleet nova, has been flying science ships since the T2 nova. Presently she makes a lazy 20k with a torpedo/part gens built that is rather common these days, though my own take on it of course. she's got the numbers to be effective, but she's also running plenty of support and my fleet are glad for it on many of the runs we do.

As a side note for ground, none of my tacs are lacking polaron barrage or rally cry, the latter really comes in handy when you find yourself with no science for heals.
  • Options
    mustrumridcully0mustrumridcully0 Member Posts: 12,963 Arc User
    lucho80 wrote: »
    Maybe I should hop back into my drain Palisade after I get my new shiny universal flow caps console tomorrow and look like I'm doing nothing when I actually am since drains don't even register in the combat log.

But! But!... DPS!!!

Another thing... Does the log and DPS result show and give credit to the Engineer that used his EPS Power Transfer on someone? Or does the guy that get the parse just see his performance skyrocket and think that was all due to himself? >:)
    Well, there is a reason why Recluse with their Attack Pattern Beta III pets are popular.
    Star Trek Online Advancement: You start with lowbie gear, you end with Lobi gear.
  • Options
    coupaholiccoupaholic Member Posts: 2,188 Arc User
    At least science has pretty and obvious effects, you can't really miss a swarm of ships being sucked into a grav well.

Now you try being an engineer. Healing your team, grabbing aggro and debuffing with APB/APD, FF, disruptor weapons or set abilities (like the old Omega graviton anchor). A thankless job at the best of times.​​
  • Options
    nikephorusnikephorus Member Posts: 2,744 Arc User
    Fun story about a sci captain in a drain boat. This is from a long time ago, pre legacy of Romulus. I was in an ise on an alt with terribad gear and the rest of the peeps in this particular instance must not have been geared well either because everyone was blowing up, except this one science captain. Anyway at the end of the mission the tactical cube was decimating everyone. Then the sci guy zooms over and drains so much power from the cube that it's attacks are doing almost no damage. It was pretty epic at the time to see a tac cube get neutered like that.
    Tza0PEl.png
  • Options
    damienvryce2damienvryce2 Member Posts: 428 Arc User
    edited November 2015
    Just ignore them OP. I know it's easier said than done. Just remember that they are pitifully small individuals who troll to give their fragile little egos a boost. They do not represent the majority of the high end DPS community.

I play tac because it fits my mentality. I am not a part of the elite DPS crowd but I hold my own. I do appreciate the sci and engineering captains out there. Theirs is often a thankless task because it's not always obvious the contribution they make to the team.
    Post edited by damienvryce2 on
    STO: Where men are men and the women probably are too.
    I support the Star Trek Battles channel.
  • Options
    jade1280jade1280 Member Posts: 868 Arc User
    The only times it really bothers me is when someone is actually making an effort not to help and in some stfs where no one is roughly organised on the puzzle or murder focus
  • Options
    shanker666shanker666 Member Posts: 57 Arc User
    shanker666 wrote: »
    It happens a lot these days. Funniest is when the one guy calling everyone noobs has the lowest DPS.

What irks me the most are the guys doing high DPS who feel the need to post the DPS scores of everyone. It basically saying "look how big my epeen is!"

Ahh well thank God for the ignore function.

What irks me is the people who come into a queue marked advanced/elite and have no idea what they're doing and undergeared to boot. I challenge you to get a group of 2k dps'ers and finish ISA, with all optionals...hell, just finish ISA with that group. Enough with the dps bashing, get your heads outta your backsides and learn to read:advanced/elite are for players who take time and learn how to play effectively. Normal queues are for people flying around having a good time with their buddies and fleetmates. Just play normal and you won't get flamed,or better yet, try improving yourself and learn how to play. Oh, wait, that's too much time and trouble,isn't it? Your idea of fun is not my idea of fun. I don't fly in normals and ruin your fun,stay outta advanced/elite and you won't ruin my fun. After all, that's what it's about, right? All of us having fun?

As far as people showing parses, that's pretty much only done in ISA, and mainly used to test builds for further refinement. And maybe, just maybe, some people show that so the others can see what they did in the stf. It isn't always to bust somebody's chops because they didn't contribute. Parses can be used as a learning tool also. By the way, I'm not an uber dps'er, just barely good enough to do elite queues, so I'm not an "elitist" either.

As far as the op's post, I'm sorry you got flamed for that because I fly a science toon also and you're correct: science damage and contributions are completely different than pure dps builds and some of the pure dps guys don't get that. If I saw you doing what you did in a Counterpoint I was in, I'd be happy that you were there, doing CC and taking aggro for me so I can land troops and kill stuff. Props to you for understanding that pure dps isn't always what's needed in every stf.

I was waiting for one of the DPS defenders to arrive and here you are. Right on time. At least you're punctual.

One of the best ways to learn how to do something is to do it head on. Sorry that ruins your day, but frankly, people shouldn't care if your day is ruined in a virtual game with no importance to real life. Everyone in this rididculus game has every right to go into whatever stf they want.

Like someone else said, if you have this pathological need to win everything, then party with people you know you can win with and leave everyone else alone and stop criticizing players who aren't OBSESSED with virtual non-existant space ship damage as you are.

Stop assuming that people have all the time in the world to play this game. Stop assuming that people's lives revolve around playing this game. Stop assuming that people have the same amount of investment in this game as you do. Stop telling people what they should be doing. Stop telling people how to play.

I could go on, but maybe you'll get the point. Basically if you think someone is a worthless player because they don't have precious virtual numbers, then you are a truly sad human being and I pity you.

See what happened right there? Even though I gave kudos to the OP, I still get hammered by fools that just want to bash dps.This game is very simple: Fly in, kill stuff, get rewards, exit to sector. This game is about DAMAGE(dps). What don't you people understand about that? This is the game we have, it's what Cryptic/PWE wants it to be, and no amount of denial by any of you is going to change that.

And why, pray tell, is it so horrible to expect a player in advanced/elite stf to at least be ready to play? That's what normal queues are for: to learn how to play the harder stuff. Look up the definitions of those words, advanced and elite, apparently you need to because you're too dense to realize that those queues aren't for normal/casual players. That's my complaint. I don't deny any player entrance into any normal queue, and I don't fly normals because I realize I can cause problems for new/inexperienced/casual players by causing afk penalties, and I don't want to do that, because I do care about other peoples gaming experience. The only time I do run a normal is when a new queue is introduced, so I can learn what the mission goals are, then I move on to advanced.

Stop assuming anything that you might think I'm assuming. You don't know me, or anything about me, other than I like to play a certain way. As was posted several times in this thread, it's supposed to be about fun, right? My idea of fun is maximizing my build and piloting skills to beat the hard content. So, stop trying to tell me how to play and have my fun. See, you and others like you are saying" let me play and have my fun". I'm saying the exact same thing everybody else is, but apparently YOUR fun is more important than mine somehow. The hypocrisy is just staggering and never ceases to amaze and disgust me.

I play different toons, mostly tactical, but I do have an engineer and a couple of science toons, so I do realize the differing ways they contribute and I'm glad when these players are in my queues, if they know what they're doing. I just don't understand why you people think it's a bad thing to improve your game skills. Why wouldn't you want to? Are you a troll, purposefully out to ruin someone's enjoyment? I don't know you, so I don't have that answer. Are you so self important that you think the game is meant ONLY for you and others don't matter? According to most of the dps bashing crowd posting here, this seems to be the only answer that makes sense. The game is for ALL of us, we all have different styles of playing and I realize that, but you people can't seem to get that into your heads.

If a player comes into an advanced/elite queue and isn't ready, that doesn't make them a worthless player, but it does make them a bad teammate, and the queues are about teams. Play however you want to, it doesn't matter to me. If you like to RP, have at it and enjoy yourselves. If you take hours making your ship, boffs, and whatever look just a certain way, awesome. I like to see what others do with customization.

I'm a reasonable person, and I understand that many players have many different styles of play. I think it's a reasonable request to ask that players refrain from joining advanced/elite stf's until some upgrading is done, both in ship gear, and in understanding what is needed to complete the stf. That's all I'm asking, I don't want anybody to change anything else about their gameplay and/or enjoyment of the game. I also understand that due to family, work, and other real life commitments, that not everyone can devote hours and hours of time to the game, but alot of the things are just click, wait 20 hours and claim the rewards. I don't expect everybody to do 100k dps, either. I can't do that and really don't care to. I'm not so shallow to think that's it's just about me, which seems to be the way the dps bashers think. My style is different than yours, and I can accept that. Why can't YOU understand that also, and let me do my thing without the constant criticism and hatred shown here?

I've never flamed anyone in the game for not doing a certain amount of dps, and I never will, because that's just a stupid thing to do. I do my best to avoid anything that might mess up someone else's enjoyment, per the 2 hour afk penalty, that a normal/casual player could get because I flew in and blew everything up before they can get a shot in. Please show me the same consideration before you join in the harder content, and then we can all enjoy the game in our own way. The divisiveness in the community is killing the game, and if you like the game, it needs to stop before the game stops too.

The game is F2P, but Cryptic is selling power in everything they do, and the money spent buying that stuff is what keeps the game going, and allows them to develop new content for everyone. Stop criticizing people for only doing what Cryptic wants them to do, and that's buy, buy, buy. That's how this game model works, and I don't see changes coming anytime soon.
  • Options
    nickcastletonnickcastleton Member Posts: 1,212 Arc User
    edited November 2015
    i tend to ignore all of that TRIBBLE.
    I dont top damage but im not dealing nothing either so if someone starts complaining i just ignore them, after all its only a game.
    i miss flying my old support nebula, back in the day id do the old elites and do well but my main focus was actually healing buffing and CC and i loved it, really felt like a support ship.
    0bzJyzP.gif

"It appears we have lost our sex appeal, captain."- Tuvok
  • Options
    mustrumridcully0mustrumridcully0 Member Posts: 12,963 Arc User
    I've never flamed anyone in the game for not doing a certain amount of dps, and I never will, because that's just a stupid thing to do.
    To be honest, I don't think the topic of this post really adresses you. It specifically calls out peope that do what you do not do, e.g. flaming people for not doing enough DPS, and worse than that, flaming people for not doing enough DPS despite the fact that you actually bring enough DPS, the flamers just don't understand how it was done and think it was done wrong.

In short, it targets people that will probably never read the post anyway. :)
    Star Trek Online Advancement: You start with lowbie gear, you end with Lobi gear.
  • Options
    mayito2009mayito2009 Member Posts: 643 Arc User
    Easy solution OP, next time just fly around doing barely minimum and everyone will give you praise for your hardwork.
    Seek and ye shall find. Ask and ye shall receive. Rabboni
    Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety" (Benjamin Franklin).

Most unexpectedly, this turned into a flame-fest! Closed it goes!. /sigh What flamefestery is this? pwlaughingtrendy
  • Options
    darkbladejkdarkbladejk Member Posts: 3,715 Community Moderator
    semalda226 wrote: »
    So I've come to realize that as more and more people are going towards advanced and elite runs now that the more people are getting mad when they ASSUME that someone is not pulling their weight. Now don't get me wrong this is not a new issue but that doesn't mean you spend an hour PMing someone basically trying to flame and troll someone. I get that the current meta is pew pew the everything and sadly a lot of players fall into the category of if everything doesn't explode in 5 seconds or less somebody just sucks.
    To give a little back story this rant/venting of mine started with a Counterpoint Advanced. Anyone who knows me knows that I run a PartG R'Mor well in the last 2 phases of the fight I parked on terok nor and proceeded to CC / Draw aggro / destroy terok and the spawns. To which 3 of the 5 man team starting yelling at me to stop leeching. Now this is where the ignorance comes in. Anyone who would've looked at my ship and not it's distance would've seen gravity wells TBR Resonance Beam and a load of weapons fire coming from my ship as well as my Photonic ships + delta beacon.
    Just because someone has a ship that is tough enough to park and tank while dishing out damage doesn't not mean leech nor do you have to spend half an hour trying to flame and troll them and then go to ESD to start badmouthing someone either.

Basically learn a PVE and possible strategies as well as see what your teammates bring to the table before you make accusations. END RANT.

You're going to have people like that in any game you play that are just flat out ignorant like that no matter what you do. Either you're not doing it like them, as good as them, as fast as them, you don't use the same strategy as them, or what have you. It comes with the territory in gaming sadly. People like these I would just ignore or tell them to go jump off a cliff if need be.

On the flip side of this it's extremely irritating when I go into an ISA run and we fail the optional because people couldn't be bothered to throw out a grav well, damage is too low to kill the transformer before the sphere's get there, or some odd combination of the 2. Unless someone is brand new to the game there's no legitimate excuse for people to be failing queues that have been out for several years now.

If however someone rolls into an elite space queue such as Korfez and they're only cranking out 2k DPS then yes attention needs to be called to it. In missions like that you have to deal a certain amount of damage or you'll never get through it. There are some missions and objectives that are DPS checks and if someone can't pull their weight, the team has every right to call attention to it. I realize you're not saying otherwise but I'm simply making the point. If for example a mission requires all 5 people to deal at least 10k dps, but one person in there is only dealing 2k, it's not fair to the other 4 people in there because now they have to make up for that guy's shortcomings. Even if they're able to do so it's still not right and that guy has no business being in the mission to start with.

There's nothing wrong with having and expecting reasonable standards (keyword reasonable) because if someone is under-performing it effects the entire team. If on the other hand you have that same team running the mission and 1 guy is dealing 35k, 2 others doing 20k, the 4th guy at 15k, and the 5th guy at the 10k minimum, it's unreasonable to get mad at the guy only doing the 10k minimum. Even though he's only doing the 10k minimum he's still carrying his weight.

TL;DR
    Ignore those guys for being jerks. It's alright to have standards as long as they're not elitist.
    "Someone once told me that time was a predator that stalked us all our lives. I rather believe that time is a companion who goes with us on the journey and reminds us to cherish every moment, because it will never come again." - Jean Luc Picard in Star Trek Generations

Star Trek Online volunteer Community Moderator
  • Options
    mayito2009mayito2009 Member Posts: 643 Arc User
    I am older/newer player I left for a long while so I am just reconnecting but you know what really irritates me? Lack of collaboration. Yesterday we failed a Tholian mission because no one wanted to partake with anyone else, every time I went o assist someone so together we could owned the enemy quickly they will just move on to another area and I was what the heck, I tried my best but we lost with the 4/5 groups down and the boss down but we ran out of time in the last group. If people will leave their big ego e-peen aside and work together missions can be done.
    Seek and ye shall find. Ask and ye shall receive. Rabboni
    Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety" (Benjamin Franklin).

Most unexpectedly, this turned into a flame-fest! Closed it goes!. /sigh What flamefestery is this? pwlaughingtrendy