test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Reputation marks; one simplified mark system for all reputations?

mirrorchaosmirrorchaos Member Posts: 9,844 Arc User
The Terran universe stuff was recently dropped on live, however it has added yet another reputation mark entry on an ever increasing list and eventually this trend will become a problem for crytic in their own design in that there will be so many of these.

The question is about simplifying the system by bringing all these mark entries into one giant mark system. because of this it would be easier to handle.
T6 Miranda Hero Ship FTW.
Been around since Dec 2010 on STO and bought LTS in Apr 2013 for STO.

Reputation marks; one simplified mark system for all reputations? 62 votes

Yes
30%
baewulfrybaksixcidjackkodachikunoksathra2mayito2009serhatgs1905gilionlordvalecortezhyperionx09darthwoosparhawkpilot2012kelshandonickcastletonkavasebioixijkwrangler2010darrylhaines 19 votes
No
66%
berginscoupaholicchipg7guljarolallyoftheforcesf911jarvisandalfredsmilegcb2#3786kjwashingtonrepetitiveepicvegeta50024rmy1081narthaiswarmaker001barchitect13shadowwraith77dexxis7rattler2seaofsorrowsdrakethewhite 41 votes
Not sure
3%
garaks31nandospc 2 votes

Comments

• Options
    thegrandnagus1thegrandnagus1 Member Posts: 5,165 Arc User
    Sure it would be easier, but it completely defeats the entire point of having reputation systems in the first place. The rep systems and their marks are intended to get you to play their associated types of content. If there was a single mark then a person could hypothetically finish every rep system by only playing a single mission that rewarded rep marks over and over again. That is not what the devs want, hence they will never create a single rep system.

The-Grand-Nagus

og9Zoh0.jpg
  • Options
    Sure it would be easier, but it completely defeats the entire point of having reputation systems in the first place. The rep systems and their marks are intended to get you to play their associated types of content. If there was a single mark then a person could hypothetically finish every rep system by only playing a single mission that rewarded rep marks over and over again. That is not what the devs want, hence they will never create a single rep system.

not really, it would mean pulling every mark into one and it all adds up as if there was no change but the reputations remain the same, its just a universal mark system, the only difference being is that it is not as silly as it is becoming.

if you are not prepared to ask yourself one day when it becomes absurd, then should i be worried?
  • Options
    thatcursedwolfthatcursedwolf Member Posts: 1,617 Arc User
    No
    The closest I think we would ever get to one mark to rule them all would be something like Censoredcraft's two token system, the old and busted token and the new hotness token.

When a new new hotness token comes out all existing new hotness tokens are converted to old and busted tokens.

Even then, you'd only have the easiest new hotness queue/bg and the easiest old and busted queue/bg being played without some sort of incentive system to get the too small playerbase out into the too many queues.
    This is my Risian Corvette. There are many like it, but this one is mine.
  • Options
    cidjackcidjack Member Posts: 2,017 Arc User
    Yes
    I said yes for the following:

As I can collect Rommy marks at such a higher rate than all the others, I can farm those, flip them over to the other reps and complete all the other reps without having to utilize new content or new STFs.

Heck, lets get rid of reps completely, and make it were you get everything free with no effort, or experiencing anything new.
    Armada: Multiplying fleet projects in need of dilithium by 13."
    95bced8038c91ec6f880d510e6fd302f366a776c4c5761e5f7931d491667a45e.jpgvia Imgflip Meme Generator
  • Options
    cidjack wrote: »
    I said yes for the following:

As I can collect Rommy marks at such a higher rate than all the others, I can farm those, flip them over to the other reps and complete all the other reps without having to utilize new content or new STFs.

Heck, lets get rid of reps completely, and make it were you get everything free with no effort, or experiencing anything new.

well there is someone who has taken the horse out of its own skin and called it a sheep. none of the previous content is invalid, but as you say, if there is one thing that is good for farming, then nerf it down.
  • Options
    coupaholiccoupaholic Member Posts: 2,188 Arc User
    No
    As a compromise I prefer the mark exchange idea. 2 marks from one particular rep would equal 1 mark of another. So if you want to grind nothing but ISA day in, day out for every rep you can do. However since it's better to just play the original content for particular marks that content won't be overshadowed.​​
  • Options
    hyperionx09hyperionx09 Member Posts: 1,709 Arc User
    Yes
    I say "yes" even though I know it'll remain "no".

Why? Because Cryptic refuses to improve reward rates and reward drops for queues that take longer than others. So there is no point in even trying to force us to do those queues. As we've seen, instead of playing what they tried to pigeon-hole us towards, most players have just stopped playing them altogether resulting in dead queues.

We're still gated by time limits, so it's not like there will be any real changes aside from favoring one Rep a bit sooner and still needing to grind or pay 100 Marks for an Elite Mark to turn in (VCI, II, Borg Neural Processors, etc).
  • Options
    xyquarzexyquarze Member Posts: 2,114 Arc User
    No

not really, it would mean pulling every mark into one and it all adds up as if there was no change but the reputations remain the same, its just a universal mark system, the only difference being is that it is not as silly as it is becoming.

if you are not prepared to ask yourself one day when it becomes absurd, then should i be worried?

Let me rephrase the grand Nagus as I understand him: if you pulled every rep system into one mark currency, then you could play Borg queues all day long and get the currency to buy Undine equipment without having taken as much as a glance at anything Undine. Which may be nice if you don't like Undine, but makes the specialization of the equipment towards a certain enemy and the learning of abilities because fighting a certain kind of fight aspects moot. Which they somewhat are already, considering how many "marks of choice" rewards there are already.

That being said, it may be becoming too much. You do not need all the reps (you still want them probably because dili and abilities) but it looks like it. But I do not like this solution at all because it would only draw more people towards all the same content than is the case already.
    My mother was an epohh and my father smelled of tulaberries
  • Options
    kiralynkiralyn Member Posts: 1,576 Arc User
    edited November 2015
    No
    Sure it would be easier, but it completely defeats the entire point of having reputation systems in the first place. The rep systems and their marks are intended to get you to play their associated types of content. If there was a single mark then a person could hypothetically finish every rep system by only playing a single mission that rewarded rep marks over and over again.

Yep, I agree.

(And then realize that I'm being moderately hyporitical, given that a huge % of the marks I earn, especially on alts, is from grinding up Winter & Summer pets.)
  • Options
    rattler2rattler2 Member Posts: 58,018 Community Moderator
    edited November 2015
    No
    No.

You want to know what will happen if we just have one unified mark for all reps?
    The death of every PvE except Infected Space, Crystaline Entity, and maybe Fleet Alert.
    Why?
    Because they're cakewalks. Path of least resistance. Make a universal mark for all Reps and people will only do the easiest, fastest Queues and ignore any other content related to specific Rep tracks.
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
  • Options
    bioixibioixi Member Posts: 764 Arc User
    edited November 2015
    Yes

Wait, who plays the game, devs or players?

If someone wants to grind the same mission over and over and over I see no problem, it's his time, games are not made for devs, they are made for clients.
    rattler2 wrote: »
    No.

You want to know what will happen if we just have one unified mark for all reps?
    The death of every PvE except Infected Space, Crystaline Entity, and maybe Fleet Alert.
    Why?
    Because they're cakewalks. Path of least resistance. Make a universal mark for all Reps and people will only do the easiest, fastest Queues and ignore any other content related to specific Rep tracks.

So, is it better to force players play something they don't like? I didn't like the Iconian queues, but I wanted the Iconian reputation, so I had to wait until the crystalline entity and Elachi events to get Iconian marks at a reasonable pace, just because Iconian queues were bad for my taste and the rewards were ridiculously low.

If you want to play a queue for fun, there are channels, fleets and private queues which are infinitely better than public queues, with no trolls, no flamers and people who know the queue and want to get it done right, for fun instead of marks.
  • Options
    icebluzicebluz Member Posts: 7 Arc User
    A couple ideas they could do, not sure how much they would work. Or even which ones to choose.

Condense the older marks to a standard mark and leave the last 3 as individuals.

Get rid of some unused PvE ques if you do condense

Or do a specific bonus mark weekend that would double or triple the marks for certain ques
    or
    make specific ques offer any mark as a reward at a high payout
  • Options
    edited November 2015
    bioixi wrote: »

If someone wants to grind the same mission over and over and over I see no problem, it's his time, games are not made for devs, they are made for clients.

To answer your first question: both, actually. Regarding your other comments, here is a dose of reality: every game has rules, and the people who make the game make the rules, not you. If you don't like their rules, tough stuff.

The-Grand-Nagus

og9Zoh0.jpg
  • Options
    bioixibioixi Member Posts: 764 Arc User
    edited November 2015
    Yes

To answer your first question: actually, both. However, every game has rules, and the people who make the game make the rules. If you don't like their rules, tough stuff.

And that's when you know games turn bad, developers making a game for the company instead of making a game for the clients, it happened to Sony, it happened to wargaming, it happened to ubisoft, to EA and it's happening to cryptic, but I don't think it's too late for cryptic to fix it, they've stated to make amends recently with all the giveaways, the events, they still need to rebalance a ton of stuff to make the game more fun, but they are on the right path.
  • Options
    edited November 2015

To answer your first question: actually, both. However, every game has rules, and the people who make the game make the rules. If you don't like their rules, tough stuff.

And that's when you know games turn bad, developers making a game for the company instead of making a game for the clients,

Believe it or not, all of the "clients" do not agree with one another. The devs can't make different rules for different people, and they can't change the rules every time one person asks them to, because that will just TRIBBLE off someone who didn't want it changed. The person who posted this thread is one person with an opinion. There are hundreds of thousands who play this game who all have their own opinions. Some may agree with him, some may not. Unless you can definitively prove that the majority agree with him, then you you have no basis for even suggesting the devs should do what he wants.

The-Grand-Nagus

og9Zoh0.jpg
  • Options
    xyquarzexyquarze Member Posts: 2,114 Arc User
    No
    it happened to Sony, it happened to wargaming, it happened to ubisoft, to EA

And that's why Sony, Ubisoft and EA are all bankrupt now and nobody wants their products at all.
    My mother was an epohh and my father smelled of tulaberries
  • Options
    talonxvtalonxv Member Posts: 4,257 Arc User
    PWE get RID of time gates?!!!

cvoU5Y9.gif
    afMSv4g.jpg
    Star Trek Battles member. Want to roll with a good group of people regardless of fleets and not have to worry about DPS while doing STFs? Come join the channel and join in the fun!

http://forum.arcgames.com/startrekonline/discussion/1145998/star-trek-battles-channel-got-canon/p1
  • Options
    architect13architect13 Member Posts: 1,076 Arc User
    No
    What is the over/under when this will be brought up again?
    Have you tried the new forum on your phone?
  • Options
    warmaker001bwarmaker001b Member Posts: 9,205 Arc User
    edited November 2015
    No
    I put "No" for the simple reason that 1 general mark system will kill what few instances are still running. Everyone gravitates to what is easiest.

If anything, there needs to be encouragement for redoing reputation instances that you've mastered already. Newer players trying to run some of those reps don't have it as easy as when players that were around when that rep was new. When the rep was new, the queues were popping all the time for them. As time progressed and people mastered that rep, they've moved onto something else. Newer players have fewer options and many of the queues are dead.

It's one of the major faults, I think, of the "Themepark" style of MMO play. Everyone goes to the newer rides.
    XzRTofz.gif
  • Options
    lianthelialianthelia Member Posts: 7,825 Arc User
    No
    Yes...lets make STF's even more of a ghost town! >.<

Why not just make Infected the only STF so we can go in and go out in just under 5 minutes so we have nothing left to do at all in STO...PvP is pretty much dead why not kill PvE as well!
  • Options
    carasucia83carasucia83 Member Posts: 568 Arc User
    No
    I don't like the prospect of Infected being the only active map.
    "So my fun is wrong?"

No. Your fun makes everyone else's fun wrong by default.
  • Options
    kavasekavase Member Posts: 771 Arc User
    Yes
    Asking for this from day one. It's just annoying.
    Retired. I'm now in search for that perfect space anomaly.
  • Options
    shadowwraith77shadowwraith77 Member Posts: 6,395 Arc User
    edited November 2015
    No
    Heck no, a double heck no, and even a triple heck no!

Want the marks, do the missions needed for them, or wait till an event to grind comes along, plain and simple!

Don't like it, well than I guess you don't really want those marks, it's either that, or be patient and wait for some event to earn them!
    tumblr_nq9ec3BSAy1qj6sk2o2_500_zpspkqw0mmk.gif

Praetor of the -RTS- Romulan Tal Shiar fleet!

• Options
    mackbolan01mackbolan01 Member Posts: 580 Arc User
    no comment​​
  • Options
    fiberteksyfirfiberteksyfir Member Posts: 1,207 Arc User
    No
    No but for the love of god make an easier way to fill multiple dailies. Im getting epic arthritis filling in my delta recruits now that ive finally decided to level them
  • Options
    peterconnorfirstpeterconnorfirst Member Posts: 6,225 Arc User
    No
    Because it will lead to even more deserted queues.
    animated.gif
    Looking for a fun PvE fleet? Join us at Omega Combat Division today.
    felisean wrote: »
    teamwork to reach a goal is awesome and highly appreciated
  • Options
    kjwashingtonkjwashington Member Posts: 2,529 Arc User
    No
    rattler2 wrote: »
    No.

Why?

Agree with this 110%. PvP is dead, I don't see why we should kill PvE too.
    FaW%20meme_zpsbkzfjonz.jpg
    Support 90 degree arc limitation on BFaW! Save our ships from looking like flying disco balls of dumb!
  • Options
    fiberteksyfirfiberteksyfir Member Posts: 1,207 Arc User
    No
    Want people to PvP more? Make a pvp-centric rep with a few new events. Build that and they will for sure come
  • Options
    darkbladejkdarkbladejk Member Posts: 3,715 Community Moderator
    No
    with all of the battlezones, various stfs and so on, most of which you can 50+ marks very quickly, it's not difficult to get the marks you need. if you make one reputation mark to rule them all (pun intended) then all you will do is remove any incentive to run more than 1-2 of the queues. People would just gravitate towards the quickest queue in that case and every other queue that was even the tiniest bit slower would never see the light of day again.

there are several missions out there which allow you multiple choices of marks so you have ways to get what you need. If need be you can concentrate on one specific rep and work your way out from there. The reps will always be there. Cryptic has done a great job at assuring you have multiple sources of marks you can draw from. I'm confident in their ability to see that you have more than just one source for certain marks.
    "Someone once told me that time was a predator that stalked us all our lives. I rather believe that time is a companion who goes with us on the journey and reminds us to cherish every moment, because it will never come again." - Jean Luc Picard in Star Trek Generations

Star Trek Online volunteer Community Moderator
  • Options
    berginsbergins Member Posts: 3,453 Arc User
    No
    No. My reasons have been stated already, ad nauseum, but since this question has been asked ad nauseum, I'll pile my answers on anyways.

First, it makes no sense to earn Iconian gear by fighting the Borg.

Second, it will kill other content. Think the queues are dead now? Implement this and watch them all die. All. 'Cuz who's gonna queue up for a Borg STF PUG with the risk of failure when they can get more at no risk in a BZ?

One last reason to vote "No" that hasn't been stated yet: I think I'm gonna start voting based on blatant biases in poll questions. If all the "pollsters" in these forums really want to know what people think, they need to keep their opinions out of the OP. Which poll question do you think will get the truest results?:

1. Do you approve of the job Obama is doing in the Oval Office?

2. What do you think of the great job Obama is doing?

3. Obama is the best president ever, he likes puppies. Do you agree?

While even #2 is biased, this poll started leaning towards #3 right or of the gate.
    "Logic is a little tweeting bird chirping in a meadow. Logic is a wreath of pretty flowers which smell BAD." - Spock