What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Season 11 - Mac Login Issue

Comments

• Options
    strathkinstrathkin Member Posts: 2,666 Bug Hunter
    edited November 2015
    Although any (MAC person) with some background knowledge are probably running the full PC version.

There have been some temporary work arounds identified [many MAC users run windows applications well full time with these] by other users with Parellels, WINE, Bootcamp, or PlayonMac. Yet there are numerous others available options for MAC users. A quick search of Google with "run PC on MAC" or various articles in Mac World and Support Links on their Site can probably help most navigate through the issues.

https://kb.iu.edu/d/ahjj
    http://www.macworld.com/article/1143037/crossover8.html

Some require a full windows Virtual Machine (requires windows OS) others just run Windows Applications | but could likely be overcome with a little research.

NOTE: NVidia may provide information on Cidar which CRYPTIC apparently uses
    http://www.transgaming.com/nvidia-to-acquire-transgamings-cross-platform-portability-technology/
    http://blogs.nvidia.com/blog/2015/08/31/mac-driver/

NOTE: Bootcamp information
    https://www.apple.com/support/bootcamp/

"VMware Fusion 8 (URL reference in first LINK) is the easiest, fastest and most reliable way to run Windows® applications on a Mac®":
    http://www.vmware.com/products/fusion/

Referenced here:
    http://www.macworld.com/article/1052176/cider.html
    http://www.macworld.com/article/2971012/windows/apple-updates-boot-camp-to-support-windows-10.html

**Yet there are various options available to MAC users. MacWorld is an excellent resource for New & Old Mac users a Magazine I'd purchase or read at the Library on a regular basis. Performance will also be greatly aided if you are using the most current video drivers for your MAC. Nvidia's site above identifies major performance boosts if you are using their latest drivers.
    Post edited by strathkin on
    0zxlclk.png
  • Options
    sf911sf911 Member Posts: 284 Arc User
    Today we're one week into S11 with no fix to the Mac Client.
    Please: give us an official status update.
    Can we have any ETA on a fix? Even a rough one?
  • Options
    pwlaughingtrendypwlaughingtrendy Member Posts: 2,966 Arc User
    edited November 2015
    I don't have an ETA yet on the issue, but we're still looking into it. I don't want to elaborate until I have more concrete details. The minute I get an ETA, I will rush to the forums, twitter, reddit and the bell tower to announce it.
  • Options
    walterofbishopwalterofbishop Member Posts: 14 Arc User
    I don't have an ETA yet on the issue, but we're still looking into it. I don't want to elaborate until I have more concrete details. The minute I get an ETA, I will rush to the forums, twitter, reddit and the bell tower to announce it.

Thanks!
  • Options
    psycoticvulcanpsycoticvulcan Member Posts: 4,160 Arc User
    Thank you, Trendy!
    NJ9oXSO.png
    "Critics who say that the optimistic utopia Star Trek depicted is now outmoded forget the cultural context that gave birth to it: Star Trek was not a manifestation of optimism when optimism was easy. Star Trek declared a hope for a future that nobody stuck in the present could believe in. For all our struggles today, we haven’t outgrown the need for stories like Star Trek. We need tales of optimism, of heroes, of courage and goodness now as much as we’ve ever needed them."
    -Thomas Marrone
  • Options
    eighrichteeighrichte Member Posts: 338 Arc User
    The...um...the bell tower?

/looks around nervously
  • Options
    eighrichte wrote: »
    The...um...the bell tower?

/looks around nervously
    To.. send news.. across the land.. using the highes-
    Ok so maybe I'm not the greatest at 7 in the morning.
  • Options
    Thank you Trendy.
    I shall keep my eyes (and ears) impatiently fixated on the bell tower :)
  • Options
    You're always the greatest, even if sometimes we're testy and irritable and don't show our appreciation.

It occurs to me now that nearly 50 years after Charles Whitman, that may not be where most people's thoughts go immediately after "bell tower" is mentioned.
  • Options
    ianeasaianeasa Member Posts: 10 Arc User
    Thanks
  • Options
    khan5000khan5000 Member Posts: 3,007 Arc User
    I am calm now...but if a T6 Sovereign is introduced before I can get back in the game...the tribbles will roll
    Your pain runs deep.
    Let us explore it... together. Each man hides a secret pain. It must be exposed and reckoned with. It must be dragged from the darkness and forced into the light. Share your pain. Share your pain with me... and gain strength from the sharing.
  • Options
    sevenofnine13141sevenofnine13141 Member Posts: 4,272 Arc User
    @khan5000 If a T6 Sovereign Class was introduced, then we'd expect a remodel of said Sovvie. After all, the Sovereign is a Hero ship from the TNG films.
    | State of the Federation |
    The German Empire
    Founded 2413
    Leader: S. Raneson
    de_pr2.gif
  • Options
    khan5000khan5000 Member Posts: 3,007 Arc User
    @khan5000 If a T6 Sovereign Class was introduced, then we'd expect a remodel of said Sovvie. After all, the Sovereign is a Hero ship from the TNG films.

I am expecting it...and have the funds set aside for it
    Your pain runs deep.
    Let us explore it... together. Each man hides a secret pain. It must be exposed and reckoned with. It must be dragged from the darkness and forced into the light. Share your pain. Share your pain with me... and gain strength from the sharing.
  • Options
    anjc#8825 anjc Member Posts: 291 Arc User
    edited November 2015
    I sware trendy just changed the topic of the whole conversation, your good... well, we can get on and do doffing (look in fourms, Heres a band aid), any maybe play, thats it... We have missed out on giveaways, we better get a free T6 ship AND the giveaway items that we missed.
    Post edited by pwlaughingtrendy on
  • Options
    edited November 2015
    Since NVIDIA after purchasing CIDAR appears to no longer be supporting or stopped development | Cidar or ReWind:

http://www.transgaming.com/nvidia-to-acquire-transgamings-cross-platform-portability-technology/
    https://developer.nvidia.com/gameworks-open-source

Cider
    GNU LGPL licensed components of Cider are available from NVIDIA's public Github repository
    https://github.com/nvidia/winex
    404 on their public Github repository

"NOTE: The ReWind project is no longer being actively developed. ReWind is the MIT/X11-licensed fork of WineHQ. ReWind is available thanks to the work of the following authors and copyright holders: Andreas Mohr, Bill Medland, Christian Costa, David Hammerton, Dustin Navea, Eric Pouech, Jukka Heinonen, Lionel Ulmer, Martin Wilck, Michael Cardenas, Ove Kaaven, Stefan Leichter, Steven Edwards, Vincent Beron."

Perhaps this will help getting a GREAT setup tested in the office with WINE:
    https://discussions.apple.com/thread/7320148
    http://computechtips.com/868/install-wine-on-os-x-el-capitan
    0zxlclk.png
  • Options
    mhall85mhall85 Member Posts: 2,852 Arc User1
    Dear @pwlaughingtrendy ,

Can I have a bell tower, too? :smile:

Also... HOLY $**T, the Mac client made the Tribble patch notes... WITH A FIX!!!!
    d87926bd02aaa4eb12e2bb0fbc1f7061.jpg
  • Options
    xylylxylyl Member Posts: 45 Arc User

Thank you for the official status on the Mac issue and shall continue to remain patient. Withdrawal from the Trekverse is painful.

Although fixing the Mac start-up is paramount, I would love to have any (or all) of the recent giveaways though.

Jolan'tru ... RRF Admiral Cybyl
    Thus spake Admiral Cybyl:  Alea iacta est. Ibis redibis,numquam per bello peribis. Ergo, per aspera ad astra!
  • Options
    We're currently testing a build on Tribble that incorporates a potential fix for the issue facing Mac users.
  • Options
    edited November 2015
    I'm not sure why Trendy would change the subject, or what a Bell tower in Holand has to do with Mac's?

bell-tower-holland-gr.jpg

I thought people were trying to find a solution to the Mac issue? But if Trendy wants a Bell Tower then Trendy shall have a Bell Tower. Got a lot of planning to do to get ready for the trip. Wish me luck! >Gulp< I don't think anyone's ever successfully navigated the Atlantic in a 2 man HUmanCanoe. :#

ERR every time I use the word man as a general reference for HUmanity those DANG minions always step all over me. Which is probably why for almost a decade or more I've said humankind not mankind. They may be little but they have a lot of spirit.

Although most probably don't recognize the significance of 'HU' in many things all around each and every one of us.
    0zxlclk.png
  • Options
    aaaictaaaict Member Posts: 49 Arc User
    Thank you so much Cryptic! Glad you finally got it working.i knew you wouldn't let me down. Finally thanks for ackowledging the issue and keeping us updated.

Just a couple of question that need to be addressed.

1) How will Mac users be compensated for all the giveaways we missed due to a fault on your end?

2) How will this be prevented from happening again?
  • Options
    edited November 2015
    We're currently testing a build on Tribble that incorporates a potential fix for the issue facing Mac users.

Woot!! Thank you!

Full tribble patch notes --> http://forum.arcgames.com/startrekonline/discussion/1206866/tribble-maintenance-and-release-notes-november-3-2015

Sounds good:
    Resolved an issue which was blocking the players on MAC clients from logging in.
  • Options
    warpaint21warpaint21 Member Posts: 62 Arc User

Remember to hang two lanterns in the bell tower. "One, if by land, and two, if by sea"
  • Options
    ironcaniacironcaniac Member Posts: 131 Media Corps

In the words of Ben Sisko: "I'm not an impatient man. I got that from my father. He always said, 'Worry and doubt are the greatest enemies of a great chef. The soufflé will either rise or it won't. There's not a damn thing you can do about it, so you might as well just sit back and wait...and see what happens.' But this time, the cost of failure was so high, I found it difficult to follow his advice."

:|
    After only 4 months, 19 weeks, 134 days, it's here. It's real!
    wbur87.jpg
    U.S.S. Tempest
  • Options
    You all have much less dark associations with bell towers than I do.
  • Options
    yetweallfalldownyetweallfalldown Member Posts: 13 Administrator
    As an update for everyone, we are looking into ways to distribute the items from giveaways that weren't attainable during the down time. We'll have more information soon.
    Communications Manager - Perfect World Entertainment
    | Support | [YouTube |
  • Options
    primar13primar13 Member Posts: 1,896 Bug Hunter
    edited November 2015
    As an update for everyone, we are looking into ways to distribute the items from giveaways that weren't attainable during the down time. We'll have more information soon.

A Single Arc Code, claimable from the Arc Website Redeem Page with a 3 Day Time Limit would suffice. :smile:

Just Sayin....

It would be Really Nice for All Future Giveaways if they were done in 2 ways.
    • Item Unlocked in the Store for ____ Timeperiod
    • Arc Code Generated, for the Same Item for the Same Time period.

That way someone, at work or who gets locked out of the client could claim the item from the arc Website and have it waiting for them when they get in.
  • Options
    ironcaniacironcaniac Member Posts: 131 Media Corps

Thank you for these updates!
    After only 4 months, 19 weeks, 134 days, it's here. It's real!
    wbur87.jpg
    U.S.S. Tempest
  • Options
    mhall85mhall85 Member Posts: 2,852 Arc User1
    LOOK MOM! I'M ON TRIBBLE!!!

 for life. :smiley:
    d87926bd02aaa4eb12e2bb0fbc1f7061.jpg
  • Options
    xylylxylyl Member Posts: 45 Arc User
    edited November 2015

Thank you and your team and pwlaughingtrendy <group hugz>. First Tribble then the Galaxy! Per aspera ad astra!!

Now, if only you would add Vegemite to the replicator menu :smile:

Jolan'tru ... RRF Admiral Cybyl
    Thus spake Admiral Cybyl:  Alea iacta est. Ibis redibis,numquam per bello peribis. Ergo, per aspera ad astra!
  • Options
    kdaaronkdaaron Member Posts: 14 Arc User
    Thank you for the updates
    My goal is to build the strongest ship in the federation fleet
This discussion has been closed.