test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Alpha Centauri Institute, now actively recruiting new members.

masterdex47masterdex47 Member Posts: 9 Arc User
edited September 2015 in Captain's Table (RP)
Hello roleplayers of STO. I'd like to officially invite you to ACI.

ACIMastV4.jpg

What is ACI? The Alpha Centauri Institute is one of STOs longest running and most continuous RP fleets, originally starting shortly after the game first went online. We have a rather large history and back in the day were well known for quality story-heavy roleplay events that made us one of the premier RP fleets.

Haven't heard of us? I can't blame you. 5 years is a lot of time, and a lot can happen. While ACI continued to exist, for internal reasons a little over 2 years ago we closed down active recruitment to focus more on internalized RP instead of expansion. We still accepted applications, but usually by referral. As a result, the fleet gradually became something of a smaller tight knit family. However, that can only sustain itself so long. Our leadership has made the decision that now, especially with the coming on season 11 and a new start to the scientific and exploratory focuses that make Star Trek great, it is time ACI reopen it's doors again and grow like it once did.

2379110.jpg
(Pictured, Rear Admiral Christine April's flagship, the U.S.S. Vision, at ACI-01, our main base)

ACI is first and foremost a Research and Development organization, to quote our Mission Statement below:
Established in the late 21st Century, the ACI was founded as The American Continent Institute on the principles of Manifest Destiny and adventure, two key attributes that drove Americans westward during the 19th century. A think tank of multicultural scientists and engineers from diverse backgrounds began funding their then "small pet project" in hopes of spurring on a new age of exploration and colonization throughout the galaxy. It later changed its name to The Alpha Centauri Institute in the 23rd century to reflect a non-Earth centric viewpoint, and moved its head quarters to a starbase orbiting the Alpha Centauri IV planetoid.

The ACI seeks to promote friendship among the various races, through shared technology use and research. The ACI also acknowledges that use of force is necessary at some times and is therefore outfitted with some of the most advanced technology available in the quadrant.

In its state today, the ACI is a Federation sanctioned Institute with members of hundreds of races across various cultural and political backgrounds. All of these beings are brought together by a common goal: One of the advancement of technology and the protection of it from those who would seek to use it for nefarious purposes.

2366256.jpg
(Pictured Above, the U.S.S. Vision, at ACI's R&D Laboratory)

Recently ACI has focused on a much more militarized angle, as fitting for the recent Iconian War, but we never forgot our roots and are eager to refocus on research, development, and exploration of new places and new ideas once again. For that, we will need your help.

We are working on a process to regrow our fleet again and that starts with new and fresh faces to help add to existing RP stories, and start many more. As we add members we will also be able to reintroduce regular scheduled RP story events like those ACI was once known for, but that can only work with an active member base to not just join in, but to contribute. We at ACI believe strongly in member contribution to RP, and don't tell you what to do or how to roleplay, but help everyone take part in main story events as well as promoting smaller character focused story lines that happen in between.

You might wonder, what kind of players and characters are we looking for at ACI? As far as players, anyone who is level headed and is seeking a fun environment with which to RP their stories and share in others stories in a mature and responsible way. We take our stories seriously, but that doesn't mean they can't be fun, and anyone can be involved in creating new RP. As for characters: ACI is ostensibly a Federation fleet that is operated by Starfleet. However ACI is also host to many civilian researchers and personnel, so your character does not need to be Starfleet to be involved, and in fact many of our leadership (including our Vice President in fact) are civilian characters. We are also very welcoming to Federation allied Romulan Republic characters and host many of them as well as a detachment of Republic Command to aid in Joint Alliance research and operations. If game mechanics would allow, we'd gladly welcome KDF characters too since the Federation and Klingon Empire are no longer enemies, but we do as we can. Stay tuned though, we are working on options for the KDF side in the near future.

If any of this interests you, and you want to know more, please visit http://aci-sto.enjin.com/ (you can also click the image of the banner at the top of this post) and read through everything we have to offer. We have a host of both IC and OOC resources available and you can even peruse some of our forums. If the forums looks a bit sparse, that is because this website is actually our second website, which we only moved to a few months ago. If you hit the archive tab on our nav bar under the banner, it will take you to our old guildportal website, which is no longer active but serves as a repository for all of our history, including especially, older RP forum content. Also check our our history tab which covers many of our main story event RPs in the past.

Finally, if you decide that you'd like to join ACI, you can head to the Recruitment tap and click Application to fill out one to join us. We are in the process of upgrading and altering the application to make it a little simpler as well, so what you see now may change in the near future. Don't let that stop you from filling it out now as we will not hold any changes we make against people that apply before those are done. Once you've filled out an application, we will work to respond to it as soon as possible (within 2 days) with either an acceptance or additional questions. Once approved you'll be welcomed in and given an IC welcoming interview with one of our Board of Directors who will help to get you up to speed with the fleet and get you involved in our stories.*

*IC welcoming interview is conducted when a member of the BoD is first available at the same time as you are online. We try to make this happen as soon as possible after application acceptance. We will invite you to the fleet before this however so you will be able to join our OOC chat channels and meet other members in the mean time.
R6MhLV5.png
(The ACI logo)

Bonus: By joining ACI, you also join STAR, the Star Trek Alliance of Roleplayers. This is the Armada ACI is involved in, however unlike typical STO Armada's there is more than just a group of fleets sharing resources here, all the fleets involved are RP fleets working together to promote cross fleet RP with each other. This is still relatively new, but it means you have not just the members of ACI, but potentially members of other STAR Fleets to RP with. Other fleets in STAR include The 37th Defense Fleet, The 26th Fleet (aka the hosts of the Open Starbase Project, Starbase Praetorian), The 5th Special Operations Division, and The Trust. The list still had room to grow from there.

Comments

• Options
    gradiigradii Member Posts: 2,824 Arc User
    The link seems to be broken.

I have a character who may be interested in joining, Vezkarian (alien designed by me) Science officer. I'm @DaZee in game if you're able to send a mail, I cannot access your site right now.

"He shall be my finest warrior, this generic man who was forced upon me.
    Like a badass I shall make him look, and in the furnace of war I shall forge him.
    he shall be of iron will and steely sinew.
    In great armour I shall clad him and with the mightiest weapons he shall be armed.
    He will be untouched by plague or disease; no sickness shall blight him.
    He shall have such tactics, strategies and machines that no foe will best him in battle.
    He is my answer to cryptic logic, he is the Defender of my Romulan Crew.
    He is Tovan Khev... and he shall know no fear."
  • Options
    edited September 2015
    UPDATE: The site is back up.

Amazingly, as this is my luck having finally posted this.. the site appears to be down right now. It wasn't earlier today, and it seems to be a problem with enjin forums overall (the 26th Fleet's site is also down). I imagine considering it is enjin-wide, it'll get fixed soon enough. Not that I couldn't send you a mail, but I don't know what good it would do anything until the site returns.
    Post edited by masterdex47 on
  • Options
    I really suck at backrounds till I've gained a feel for the character in RP, I don't know how much of the application I'd be able to fill out. I have basic info and an idea of personality etc.. but that's all I can describe right now, since I havent got the chance to RP much and my RP confidence is also fragile as hell.

Like a badass I shall make him look, and in the furnace of war I shall forge him.
    In great armour I shall clad him and with the mightiest weapons he shall be armed.
    He shall have such tactics, strategies and machines that no foe will best him in battle.
  • Options
    Don't worry about it, like I said, the application is in the process of being updated anyway. Do as you can. If there is really anything we want to know, we'll ask you about it.
  • Options
    I filled out the form and attempted to register but have not yet recieved confirmation that it worked, could you check for me? I'm the person who's @DaZee in game with the character named Zelka N'tazri

• Options
    Update: @DaZee up there has officially joined up. We're still on the lookout for a lot more interested roleplayers. If you have any interest, just post here or let me know otherwise (@Master_Dex in game) if you want more info besides what is on the site.
  • Options
    tinkerstormtinkerstorm Member Posts: 853 Arc User
    Sounds interesting, but a little light on details. Is this tavern-style RP where people only RP IC at Quark's or Drozana? Do you mix in actual game missions? Is it just short stories posted in the forum on your fleet website? Are the players adverse to using voice and only use text chat?

I play a character whose background I think would fit in very well with the ACI concept, but I'm not interested in tavern-only or ERP or forum-post-only RP.
  • Options
    Sounds interesting, but a little light on details. Is this tavern-style RP where people only RP IC at Quark's or Drozana? Do you mix in actual game missions? Is it just short stories posted in the forum on your fleet website? Are the players adverse to using voice and only use text chat?

I play a character whose background I think would fit in very well with the ACI concept, but I'm not interested in tavern-only or ERP or forum-post-only RP.

I think you're seriously getting the wrong idea if you're expecting ERP from this fleet..

• Options
    edited October 2015
    While it is true I said nothing to imply ERP, I can understand where someone might not be entirely sure. That pops up in some surprising places. That being said, no, ACI does not get involved with ERP.

Those are great questions though tinkerstorm. I actually feel I do answer some of that in the original post, but maybe it is not as clear as I like. When I say serious story-based RP, that is not tavern-style RP as you put it. Now, I will not say that kind of RP doesn't happen. Of course it does, it is a common and simple form of RP to do, and sometimes it is all people want if they are not feeling up to more. We don't tell people they can't do a certain type of RP (well except the ERP, cause that's not why we are here). Along those lines, Forum RP (FRP) is also allowed or is done, but is definitely not the only thing. In fact, for a majority of it's time, ACI has done live in game RP far more than FRP (to my personal chagrin, I like FRP, though even I prefer a mix).

The basic idea is to have fluid character run RP whenever members decide to get together to do something. This is more often than not smaller character run stories, not main fleet events. Sometimes these can be as lax as tavern-style but just as often they are setting up or continuing plot threads from previous days. Aside from that, we also have the regularly scheduled fleet RP events. We tend to refer to these as Fleet RP episodes, and if you check our history, you can see we have quite the list of past run RP episodes with varied plots. Fleet Episodes are usually GM'd by a Fleet Provost or a member of the fleet who worked on the story with our leadership, and the plots are often written by the story provost (me currently) or a story submitted by a member we decided was big enough to be an official episode. So these RPs are a bit more structured and usually have a larger scope in terms of story content. Currently we are at a restructuring phase needing new members to be able to run these kinds of events again more often, so we haven't done one in a little while, but I really want to get back to it as soon as possible. Need more new faces for that. Finally there is also the forums. Not a lot of FRP going on right now, but it is an optional thing really. No one is required to do any RP via the forums. I'd personally like to see more, but my RP roots are in Forum RP so I get nostalgic. I like to use FRP for both original and standalone stories as well as to supplement ongoing in game RP.

Here is something important to note though, you said my post was light on the details, but I also made a prominent note that there is a lot more information about us on our site, which I linked to in the post. For example if you had got and checked out our history page (which I reference in the post) you would have seen that the level of stuff we've done in the past is far more than just tavern-style RP. I know, it can be a lot to ask that people look all over the site, but without writing an even longer post it is the best example of what the fleet is like.

(Lightning round on some of your other questions: We try to avoid Quarks. I don't like to RP game missions because you run into the issue of every player claiming they did all these missions when realistically only one could have, but sometimes we will change the plot of a mission in order to use its setting for RP, this depends on who is involved as well. Most members do not do any voice chat stuff because it is harder to stay in character that way, and there is no fleet set up for voice chatting as a result, but you can... if anyone else is interested.)

Hope that helps you.
  • Options
    spider515spider515 Member Posts: 1 New User
    Can I join?
  • Options
    spider515 wrote: »
    Can I join?

Probably, check out the site (linked in the original post) and put an application in.
  • Options
    I like the idea of using the missions as holodeck simulations for training or test purposes.