test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

If you were producing a Sci-fi TV show, what would you do?

hawkwing43hawkwing43 Member Posts: 1,701 Arc User
edited October 2015 in Ten Forward
Forget what was done before, you don't get to use it. This is a FRESH START SHOW. No Star Trek, NO STAR WARS, nothing old. This will be NEW.

So given a blank check to do whatever new.................

What type of show would you make?

Comments

• rattler2rattler2 Member Posts: 58,008 Community Moderator
    Well... there goes bringing back seaQuest...
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
  • hawkwing43hawkwing43 Member Posts: 1,701 Arc User
    BUT........

You can have a sea quest type show, just not Sea quest.
  • antonine3258antonine3258 Member Posts: 2,391 Arc User
    Blank check - huge, epic, massive empires colliding into each other, politics, spying, space battles....
    Fate - protects fools, small children, and ships named Enterprise Will Riker

Member Access Denied Armada!

My forum single-issue of rage: Make the Proton Experimental Weapon go for subsystem targetting!
  • hawku001xhawku001x Member Posts: 10,758 Arc User
    edited October 2015
    Something with a reverse role. A race of aliens in space trying to protect themselves from a savage group of humans. And, maybe half way through the first season, the aliens meet a lone, lost divergent human who is forced to help them.
    Post edited by hawku001x on
  • marcusdkanemarcusdkane Member Posts: 7,439 Arc User
    "What would you do?"

Hire myself some celebrity friends :P
  • artan42artan42 Member Posts: 10,450 Bug Hunter
    Firefly series 2. I don't care if it's original or not. I want my big damn heroes.​​
    22762792376_ac7c992b7c_o.png
    Norway and Yeager dammit... I still want my Typhoon and Jupiter though.
    JJ Trek The Kelvin Timeline is just Trek and it's fully canon... get over it. But I still prefer TAR.

#TASforSTO

'...I can tell you that we're not in the military and that we intend no harm to the whales.' Kirk: The Voyage Home
    'Starfleet is not a military organisation. Its purpose is exploration.' Picard: Peak Performance
    'This is clearly a military operation. Is that what we are now? Because I thought we were explorers!' Scotty: Into Darkness
    '...The Federation. Starfleet. We're not a military agency.' Scotty: Beyond
    'I'm not a soldier anymore. I'm an engineer.' Miles O'Brien: Empok Nor
    '...Starfleet could use you... It's a peacekeeping and humanitarian armada...' Admiral Pike: Star Trek

Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
  • markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User
    a medieval fantasy series seems fun.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
  • theraven2378theraven2378 Member Posts: 5,985 Arc User
    Give SGU a couple of new seasons
    NMXb2ph.png
      "The meaning of victory is not to merely defeat your enemy but to destroy him, to completely eradicate him from living memory, to leave no remnant of his endeavours, to crush utterly his achievement and remove from all record his every trace of existence. From that defeat no enemy can ever recover. That is the meaning of victory."
      -Lord Commander Solar Macharius
    • brian334brian334 Member Posts: 2,214 Arc User
      Space Detectives.

That's not the name, that's the concept. As Trek was 'Wagon Train to the stars,' the new show could be pitched as, "CSI in outer space." It would feature a plausible technology identifiable as of our own making, a consistent believable culture with perhaps branch cultures in cooperation or competition, aliens lacking in super powers humans do not possess, and mysteries which can be solved by an astute observer, but which most viewers will figure out only after the fact.

"It can't be done!"

Larry Niven's Gil Hamilton shorts say otherwise, as does the great Asimov's R. Daneel Olivaw/Elijah Bailey. In fact, the movie I, Robot, (vaguely related to the anthology of the same name, with traces of Asimov's work blended into the plot,) is an example of this style of story.

Star Trek, with an already established technology and culture, would be a perfect match for this concept. I am currently writing fanfic based in this idea, and the only real issue I have so far is that, given Trek's less than realistic technology, it would be difficult to rewrite my current tales into a new universe. However, if you ever see a show called "Star Trek: Federation Space," about a Federation Marshall flitting about the Federation solving crimes, capturing fugitives, and unraveling mysteries, you'll know where the idea came from!
    • wombat140wombat140 Member Posts: 971 Arc User
      Oh, good heavens, no. No, not the "space detectives" idea, which sounds great fun, but the idea of setting it in the Star Trek universe. That way madness lies, I would have said. Star Trek has an "established technology", yes, but what's mainly established about it is that it can do anything the plot wants it to do. How could you rule out ANYTHING in a setting like that? (I say this because it's regularly driving me crazy and I'm not even trying to write detective stories.)

Of course, if I'm wrong and you can pull off what I can't, I'll enjoy reading the fanfictions!

(Thought: the Federation includes lots of human colonies and it's not clear that they all have the same level of mod cons as Earth itself, so that would leave open the possibility of setting some cases on colonies that have different levels of tech, e.g. it could be stated that something couldn't have been done with a replicator as this place doesn't have the power supplies to run a replicator, even if somebody brought one. In fact that would allow you to change the range of technology available every episode if you liked, allowing more possible plots.)

If I were making a science fiction series, I'd probably set it on Earth (space travel may or may not be a thing, but our heroes aren't space travelling); I get kind of lonely with Star Trek stuff, not being able to draw on the world I'm used to, and see what it does face to face with strange things. That's what I love about Doctor Who; not just aliens-versus-scientists-spies-and-spacemen, but aliens versus schoolteachers, aliens on a train (OK it's a space train, but only nominally!), aliens in mediaeval England; things that make you go "oh God they're HERE!". I think Americans have it easier, because large chunks of Starfleet do seem to be at least culturally American, and that makes sense because America is big and also tends to export its culture rampantly everywhere. England exists only in England.
    • bioixibioixi Member Posts: 764 Arc User
      edited November 2015
      A group of aliens reaches Earth, they are not ridiculously advanced, they fled from their home planet 500 years ago, because of a natural disaster, a wandering black hole entered their system and destabilized their planet's orbit.

They came in a sublight generational ship headed towards Earth, a planet their probes found to be habitable, but they didn't know there was a sapient species already living there.

Tension rises when we make first contact, and members of both militaries launch an attack, in the end Earth uses nuclear weapons to destroy the alien ship, but escape pods and evac ships reach Earth, the human race meets aliens face to face for the first time and the usual happens, hate groups, bigotry, but the opposite as well, 10 years later, some countries give citizenship to alien refugees, which enrages hate groups even more, an alien supremacy terrorist movement appears, they believe humans don't deserve the planet and begin killing humans and planting bombs, racial tension is at its high.

The show begins here, a "police investigation and political intrigue" show.

Another show I would like:

Year 2075, the world is at the brink of collapse, overpopulation, resource scarcity and a war that's been raging all over the planet for 13 years, mankind's last hope lies in Iceland, over the last 35 years Iceland became the seat of the Horizon Gateway project, the objective is to create an artificial wormhole leading to a habitable planet discovered 50 years ago.

For that purpose a massive particle accelerator was built around Iceland, and using the massive geothermal energy extracted straight from the planet's core it's been creating and storing antimatter over the past 10 years to power the wormhole generator.

the activation is a success, but the celebrations are short lived as all warring factions now focus their attention on what was before considered a waste of time, as everyone tries to seize control over the island, nuclear bombs fall, and the project's scientists, workers and private security mercenaries are forced to evacuate through a soon to be collapsed wormhole into the unknown.

Little did they know that the planet they arrived at was not the one they expected, that new planet used to be connected to Earth by natural wormholes in the past, and that's where legends came from, the Tower of Babel, Atlantis, ancient mythology, it didn't happen on Earth.

Now the new and the old collide as survivors from a war are plunged into a new one, a war for survival.

Magic, gods, mythological creatures, two warring empires and humanity's last survivors caught in the middle, their superior technology gives them an edge, but that won't last forever, and alliances will have to be made if humanity is to survive.
      Post edited by bioixi on
    • captainchaos66captainchaos66 Member Posts: 409 Arc User

If I had a blank check I would bring the series I made years ago using a game called The Movies to the small screen. It was called " Red Squad" YES I know DS9 has a Red Squad, but my series is completely different.

Overview: Its 125 years from now, Earth is a paradise with Lots of crime and punishment. The " Earth Police Force" is tasked with keeping the planet safe. Essentially its a global police force that extends all the way down to the mega cities that everyone lives in. At some point in the past Earths warring factions created giant Mechs to fight for territory ( Yes, Robot Jox ) Once the wars ended the Mechs were put in storage and not given a second thought.

One day Earths Perimeter Defense System detects several Alien craft heading towards the planet. The craft hover over one of the Mega Cities and " beam" down a huge creature that begins destroying everything. This is when Red Squad comes in. They are the elite of all the Squad teams. 6 members, 3 male, 3 female. Lead by a woman of incredible intelligence and cunning. While Earths normal defenses are useless against this creature, they do have one weapon left. The mech.

While this story DOES seem like a Power Rangers ripoff,, it was only the first two episodes that involved aliens and monsters. The next 8 episodes are all about stopping world War 4. Has double crossing, triple crossing, political intrigue, everything I personally would LOVE in a new scifi show... and of course Giant Robots fighting to the death!

I completed 9 episodes of the series, and started working on the 10th but the program I was using just got too out of date.

On a side note, if was handed a blank check and told to make a TV show first thing I would do is make season 3 of Jericho! I know that breaks the rules,, but Jericho is a GREAT show and I will NEVER forgive CBS for canceling it the way they did!!!

Fleet Admiral In charge of Bacon
      Fighting 5th Attack Squadron
      The Devils Henchman

On a side note, if was handed a blank check and told to make a TV show first thing I would do is make season 3 of Jericho! I know that breaks the rules,, but Jericho is a GREAT show and I will NEVER forgive CBS for canceling it the way they did!!!

Hell yeah, that and Eureka, both were great series.
      bioixi wrote: »

Hell yeah, that and Eureka, both were great series.

Agreed on Eureka. But at least Eureka had a PROPER'ish ending. They wrapped up the show pretty well. Jericho was left WIDE OPEN even though two endings were made for the final episode. One for if they had been renewed, and the one that aired was supposed to be a proper closing. Well, it wasn't.

The Devils Henchman
    • azniadeetazniadeet Member Posts: 1,871 Arc User
      edited November 2015
      I had an idea about a show where you could connect to a machine that would copy your neural imprint, then copy that imprint into one's self at some point back in time.

This would allow for de facto time travel, without any physical time travel.
    • coupaholiccoupaholic Member Posts: 2,188 Arc User
      Dirt.

It stands for Deep Insertion Recon Team. An idea that's been knocking around my head for sometime. It follows a convicted criminal who is given a dirt contract to redeem himself, which amounts to an illegal assassination black ops type thing. As the story progresses it turns out into an internal struggle between the blood heirs of the dystopian intergalactic empire the story is set in, and the corrupt government who want to stay in complete control.​​
      coupaholic wrote: »
      Dirt.

It stands for Deep Insertion Recon Team. An idea that's been knocking around my head for sometime. It follows a convicted criminal who is given a dirt contract to redeem himself, which amounts to an illegal assassination black ops type thing. As the story progresses it turns out into an internal struggle between the blood heirs of the dystopian intergalactic empire the story is set in, and the corrupt government who want to stay in complete control.​​

I would watch that! When its turned into a Feature Film who would play the main character? This idea sounds like either a Vin Diesel or Gerard Butler type character, although I bet Chris Hemsworth would be great in this setting.
      The Devils Henchman
      A group of aliens reaches Earth, they are not ridiculously advanced, they fled from their home planet 500 years ago, because of a natural disaster, a wandering black hole entered their system and destabilized their planet's orbit.

They came in a sublight generational ship headed towards Earth, a planet their probes found to be habitable, but they didn't know there was a sapient species already living there.

Tension rises when we make first contact, and members of both militaries launch an attack, in the end Earth uses nuclear weapons to destroy the alien ship, but escape pods and evac ships reach Earth, the human race meets aliens face to face for the first time and the usual happens, hate groups, bigotry, but the opposite as well, 10 years later, some countries give citizenship to alien refugees, which enrages hate groups even more, an alien supremacy terrorist movement appears, they believe humans don't deserve the planet and begin killing humans and planting bombs, racial tension is at its high.

Defiance... B) (an awesome series)

• sovereign47sovereign47 Member Posts: 399 Arc User
      edited November 2015
      artan42 wrote: »
      Firefly series 2. I don't care if it's original or not. I want my big damn heroes.​​
      Give SGU a couple of new seasons

I'm fully supporting those two ideas. Firefly was great, but way too short. I never really understood why they cancelled it so early. SGU was also very good and promising, but it ended almost like Firefly with one season more. It should had at least five seasons like Atlantis (the best SG series for me) which was also ended somewhat too quickly.

Now onto some more original (?) ideas:

1. Freelancer - I hope that at least most of you hear have heard of/played this great game with epic storyline. In case you haven't give it a shot. That game is definitely a material for TV show.

2. Back To The Future - Or at least something like it with time-travel, lots of humor and action of course. Flying car (or train perhaps :D ) with time-travel ability is a must have of course!

3. Dead Space - While I think it is better suited for movies, it might be good for a TV show too. Certainly much better than Walking Dead and even The Strain, because it is happening in space (on starships, massive space stations and planets as well) and it is way more scary and nasty too B)

4. Resident Evil - I'm sure that most of you know for this great gaming franchise (and/or somewhat less good movies), and if it would be done properly (according to first 3 games, and maybe 4th as well) that could easily wipe the floor with Walking Dead and other such shows. If for nothing else, than for a certain fact that it wouldn't be only about zombies, but about different other animal/plant mutations as well. And don't forget the mighty Nemesis B)

5. Vigilante/Mad Max - something oriented mostly towards vehicular combat set in current day/close future and/or post apocalyptic setting. That would be certainly lots of fun and never-ending action. Everyone would watch it probably.

6. Command & Conquer Tiberium Wars - those who haven't hear of it/played it, this game has some pretty decent storyline set in a close post-apocalyptic future in which most of the Earth's surface is covered by an alien crystal known as tiberium. There are no existing countries, but two global superpowers fighting for domination all over the planet and they are exploiting tiberium as resource for their power-plants, weapons and general funding as well. Those superpowers are called Global Defense Initiative (GDI) and The Brotherhood of NOD (or shorter NOD). They are at first waging war among themselves only, until the aliens known as SCRIN arrive on the planet and start harassing both GDI and NOD by their more advanced weapons in order to seize control of planet and all of tiberium. If that hasn't convinced you enough to think that it would make a great Sci-Fi show, you can always google more about it.

7. The Thing - I'm sure most of you heard for this brilliant Carpenters SF/horror movie from 80's and it's very good prequel from 2011 with hot Mary Elizabeth Winstead. hile somewhat similar to Dead Space it is still different and it would be happening on Earth only. Would humanity be able to fight off such aggressive and extremely resilient alien(s). They are worse than the one from movie Alien and it's sequels which is very formidable in it's own right. It would be most certainly great show and it should have been already a thing (well, The Thing to be exact :D ).

8. Call of Cthulhu - I think Lovecraft would agree with me on this one, as it would make a great horror show. And those aliens Y'nathlei (I think that's how they are called) seem very interesting and could be extremely helpful to humanity in fighting off dangerous creatures like mighty Cthulhu and it's minions. It would happen on Earth and maybe some Y'nathlei's planet(s). Oh and no need to mention that it would happen deep under the sea too like in that Cthulhu's underwater city where it's nightmarish residents live.

9. Starcraft - I'm sure most of you here know about and have played it, or at least heard of it. One of the best RTS games ever that is revolving around wars between Terrans (humans), Prottos (high-tech aliens) and Zerg (nasty aggressive nightmarish aliens relying on huge numbers and some nasty bio-weapons too). I don't doubt even one bit that it would make a great TV show. And it has a nice soundtrack too (Zerg, shotgun and me is a great song).

10. Metro 2033/2034/2035 - Another great post-apocalyptic SF story with horror elements. It is set inside Moscow metro system and Moscow itself devastated by nuclear war. There are only about 40 000 people left that are living inside metro systems and fighting for survival against one another and horrible mutants from the surface. And to make things even better, or should I say worse for residents of metro, there are some unusual happenings too in which most often people get missing or simply die for no reason other than some powerful supernatural forces. Apparently their is movie being made based on Metro 2033, but such setting could be easily done for TV show too and would be great no doubt. Until they (may) do something like that, we can always play the game Metro 2033 and it's sequel Last Light.

And now onto my very own idea:

I would create a show set in the distant future (at least several hundred years from now), in which civilization is already exploring space and have colonized (and it is still colonizing) various planets in space. However, there is a great dis-balance between poor and rich people, all the way to the point in which some planets are populated only by extremely poor people with severe setbacks on all spheres of life and high crime rate; and on the other hand there are planets populated by rich people only enjoying all possible benefits in their life with no crime and other problems. There are also a planets where are both poor and rich too. Here and there is the middle class citizens too, but there is not nearly as many them as there is poor ones. All that dis-balance is caused by a handful of most powerful people and large corporations that don't care about the rest of humanity, but only about themselves. However, on one of those poor planets is being born a man who will change that all using various tactics from diplomacy to outright conflicts with corporations and those people in power. His biggest problem are special corporate police forces and even their own armies.
      Show would involve lots of action, space battles, ground combat, deceptions, spying..., almost everything, including bad and good aliens which are either helping main hero or trying to subdue him. I think that would make for an excellent show. What about you?

And how do like the ideas from above?
      FED ENG: FA Sirius Verax (USS Leviathan) , FED TAC (Delta): FA Adria Tyllex (USS Thunderblade) , ROM TAC: ADM Kill'ina (IRW Imperix Thrai) , KLING ENG (Delta): LT. GEN Ghol'Vaq Martok (IKS Qeh'Ral II) - 44th Fleet member
      SZ1RgUL.jpg
      SUPPORTING PLAYABLE CARDASSIAN AND DOMINION FACTIONS!
    • coupaholiccoupaholic Member Posts: 2,188 Arc User
      coupaholic wrote: »
      Dirt.

It stands for Deep Insertion Recon Team. An idea that's been knocking around my head for sometime. It follows a convicted criminal who is given a dirt contract to redeem himself, which amounts to an illegal assassination black ops type thing. As the story progresses it turns out into an internal struggle between the blood heirs of the dystopian intergalactic empire the story is set in, and the corrupt government who want to stay in complete control.

I would watch that! When its turned into a Feature Film who would play the main character? This idea sounds like either a Vin Diesel or Gerard Butler type character, although I bet Chris Hemsworth would be great in this setting.

Thanks. One day I might actually summon the effort to try and write something.

I never thought of who would play the part if it came to the silver screen. But I'm thinking more along the lines of Michael Fassbender or Tom Hiddleston. The idea was that they were imprisoned for treachery, but essentially innocent. Even so, mainly due to the nature of the environment everyone survives in, everyone would have a cruel streak about them.​​
      edited November 2015

Defiance... B) (an awesome series)

Never heard of it until you mentioned it, I guess I'll go watch it.
      While I don't want to say "I guarantee you'll like it", well, in terms of storytelling and delivery, I think it blows most popular sci-fi (Trek included) out of the water... B)
    • sovereign47sovereign47 Member Posts: 399 Arc User
      edited November 2015
      While I don't want to say "I guarantee you'll like it", well, in terms of storytelling and delivery, I think it blows most popular sci-fi (Trek included) out of the water... B)

I agree. Defiance was a great shows indeed. It's third season is epic! Too bad TRIBBLE cancelled it. At least it had decent finale unlike some other shows like SG Universe for example. On the other hand, good thing is that they renewed Dark Matter and Killjoys for 2nd season which seem as a very promising Sci-fi shows so far.

FED ENG: FA Sirius Verax (USS Leviathan) , FED TAC (Delta): FA Adria Tyllex (USS Thunderblade) , ROM TAC: ADM Kill'ina (IRW Imperix Thrai) , KLING ENG (Delta): LT. GEN Ghol'Vaq Martok (IKS Qeh'Ral II) - 44th Fleet member
      SZ1RgUL.jpg
      SUPPORTING PLAYABLE CARDASSIAN AND DOMINION FACTIONS!
      I'm actually curious if it'd be possible to do a Mad Max in space concept and get it to work. Near endless worlds to annoy, and who cares if the other guys are mutants, humans or aliens? :p
      -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
      My character Tsin'xing

I agree. Defiance was a great shows indeed. It's third season is epic! Too bad TRIBBLE cancelled it. At least it had decent finale unlike some other shows like SG Universe for example. On the other hand, good thing is that they renewed Dark Matter and Killjoys for 2nd season which seem as a very promising Sci-fi shows so far.
      I haven't been able to watch season three, as, being in the process of moving, most subscriptions have been transferred to the new address, so I was pretty shocked when Julie Benz posted on fb that the Final Episode was airing, but I'm looking forward to checking the season out when I can. If anything, I'd rather a series go out strong, rather than dragging out a slow demise into mediocrity, but I'm definitely sad that I won't be seeing any more of certain characters, who truly stole the screen B)
      edited November 2015
      I'm actually curious if it'd be possible to do a Mad Max in space concept and get it to work. Near endless worlds to annoy, and who cares if the other guys are mutants, humans or aliens? :p

I would say no (in terms of getting it to work) I haven't (and won't) watch Fury Road, because I view it as nothing other than someone recycling his old work, rather than coming up with new projects. But with regard to the original movies (and in my opinion only One and Two are worth discussing/watching) what I felt was the strongest element, was Max's transition from husband/father/ police officer, to solitary drifter. In a two-handed performance, it was clean, clear and punchy. In an ongoing series, I think it would either happen too quickly (which would then lead to too much 'Three' nonsense) or happen so slowly, that it would feel drawn out. Now the actual stories themselves, yes, they could absolutely be transposed into a space setting (including the Trek Verse) but again, not necessarily enough material to stretch to enough episodes for a series of several seasons (IMHO) B)

It's really good, and that's exactly the thing I had in mind when I wrote my idea (maybe a bit darker/dystopian), looks like I've got beaten by several years.
    • tymerstotymersto Member Posts: 433 Arc User
      edited November 2015

[cough] Succession Wars Era Battletech[/cough]...

Thank you for the time...
      STO CBT Player - 400 day+ Vet, Currently Silver
      Cryptic, would you actulaly like me to spend actual Money? It's Simple:
      • Full, Story-driven, select from start 1-50 Klingon Side
      • Scrap current Lock Box & Lobi system for something more reasonable
      • Expand Dil and Rep/Fleet Marks to regular story content

It's really good, and that's exactly the thing I had in mind when I wrote my idea (maybe a bit darker/dystopian), looks like I've got beaten by several years.
      Really glad you're enjoying it, it's definitely one of my favourite series B)

tymersto wrote: »
      [cough] Succession Wars Era Battletech[/cough]...

Thank you for the time...
      hmmm never looked at that. But it sounds like it might be what I was after.

OOH! here's another one, a series that explores what Waterworld was talking about when it depicted people as terrified of mutant humans.
      -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
      My character Tsin'xing