test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Which faction would you fight for in the 40k universe

13»

Comments

• cmdrscarletcmdrscarlet Member Posts: 5,137 Arc User
    Space Marines
    Which makes sense because after their involvement with/against Chaos, they are effectively "tainted" and can be easily replaced. Unlike Space Marine Librarians who are still Space Marines, and thus more valuable. They are less likely to be corrupted as well.

As direct descendants of the Emperor, Space Marine Chapters are allowed to use Psykers, to the chagrin of some. And yet, no one in the Imperium has qualms about the Grey Knights.
  • markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User
    Chaos
    Has there ever been any word on the second and 11th Primarchs? Or did the peeps who make the stuff simply never bother writing any story for them?
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
  • angrytargangrytarg Member Posts: 11,001 Arc User
    Has there ever been any word on the second and 11th Primarchs? Or did the peeps who make the stuff simply never bother writing any story for them?

As far as I know, I may be wrong though, the fluff is intentionally incomplete so people who want to create their own chapters (keep in mind, it is a tabletop game after all, not a visual or literary sci-fi verse) have some basis to build on.

There are also a lot of chapters which are named but have no backstory. My SM-chapter, for example, is a descendant of the Warhawks chapter which was annihilated during a Black Crusade in M36. This allows for rather big liberties on making up your own story behind the chapter. In my case I developed an entire world I base my chapters, regiments, eldar craftworld, ork clanz and tau sept on, all interwoven to be there at one point. A cut off part of the Warhawks fought on this world when the main chapter was destroyed, leading to a new founding on this particular world.​​
    lFC4bt2.gif
    ^ Memory Alpha.org is not canon. It's a open wiki with arbitrary rules. Only what can be cited from an episode is. ^
    "No. Men do not roar. Women roar. Then they hurl heavy objects... and claw at you." -Worf, son of Mogh
    "A filthy, mangy beast, but in its bony breast beat the heart of a warrior" - "faithful" (...) "but ever-ready to follow the call of the wild." - Martok, about a Targ
    "That pig smelled horrid. A sweet-sour, extremely pungent odor. I showered and showered, and it took me a week to get rid of it!" - Robert Justman, appreciating Emmy-Lou
    Space Marines

They are intentionally blank and essentially apocryphal. If you follow some fluff gurus from Bolter and Chainsword, Chapters are advised not to use geneseed from the 2nd or 11th Legions or the 13th Founding.

• starswordcstarswordc Member Posts: 10,963 Arc User
    edited October 2015
    Tau Empire
    angrytarg wrote: »

As far as I know, I may be wrong though, the fluff is intentionally incomplete so people who want to create their own chapters (keep in mind, it is a tabletop game after all, not a visual or literary sci-fi verse) have some basis to build on.
    It's kind of like us fanfic authors creating our own ships for Star Trek. And the Trope of the Day goes to: Sailor Earth.
    There are also a lot of chapters which are named but have no backstory. My SM-chapter, for example, is a descendant of the Warhawks chapter which was annihilated during a Black Crusade in M36. This allows for rather big liberties on making up your own story behind the chapter. In my case I developed an entire world I base my chapters, regiments, eldar craftworld, ork clanz and tau sept on, all interwoven to be there at one point. A cut off part of the Warhawks fought on this world when the main chapter was destroyed, leading to a new founding on this particular world.​​

My Blue Suns are pretty much a joke chapter. Spinoff from the White Scars that ran across some Firefly memorabilia and had no idea what they were actually looking at, thought it was artifacts from the age of the Emperor and that "Blue Sun" had some kind of significance. (If you believe the tales of him being past Earth leaders, I suppose it could have been, technically...)

I also created a Valhallan 597th skin for DoW2 once. Don't have a picture handy, unfortunately.
    "Great War! / And I cannot take more! / Great tour! / I keep on marching on / I play the great score / There will be no encore / Great War! / The War to End All Wars"
    — Sabaton, "Great War"
    VZ9ASdg.png

Check out https://unitedfederationofpla.net/s/
  • theraven2378theraven2378 Member Posts: 5,985 Arc User
    edited October 2015
    Imperial Guard
    starswordc wrote: »

It's kind of like us fanfic authors creating our own ships for Star Trek. And the Trope of the Day goes to: Sailor Earth.

My Blue Suns are pretty much a joke chapter. Spinoff from the White Scars that ran across some Firefly memorabilia and had no idea what they were actually looking at, thought it was artifacts from the age of the Emperor and that "Blue Sun" had some kind of significance. (If you believe the tales of him being past Earth leaders, I suppose it could have been, technically...)

I also created a Valhallan 597th skin for DoW2 once. Don't have a picture handy, unfortunately.

My imperial guard regiment the Terran Guard is raised exclusively from Holy Terra and the Sol System, they were raised in response to a perceived Xenos threat to the capital world of the Imperium, they are the most loyal of the guard regiments and free from corruption by the ruinous powers.

They have worked with the Ordo Xenos when required to protect the Imperium's core worlds from Xeno threats
    NMXb2ph.png
      "The meaning of victory is not to merely defeat your enemy but to destroy him, to completely eradicate him from living memory, to leave no remnant of his endeavours, to crush utterly his achievement and remove from all record his every trace of existence. From that defeat no enemy can ever recover. That is the meaning of victory."
      -Lord Commander Solar Macharius
      Chaos

What still has me puzzled is that they didn't even name the 2nd and 11th Primarchs. It kinda makes sense leaving a few blank spots, but literally leaving a void with no info at all?

Also odd is how some of the extant chapters have an unknown founder.
      -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
      My character Tsin'xing
    • warmaker001bwarmaker001b Member Posts: 9,205 Arc User
      Space Marines
      phrg wrote: »
      Nobody expects the Imperial Inquisition!

Inquisitors.jpg

Bravo, sir! BRAVO!
      XzRTofz.gif
    • rattler2rattler2 Member Posts: 58,017 Community Moderator
      Eldar
      starswordc wrote: »

It's kind of like us fanfic authors creating our own ships for Star Trek. And the Trope of the Day goes to: Sailor Earth.[/quote]

I think my version of Sailor Earth turned out alright. Then again... she was in a Stargate SG-1 Crossover... as a member of the SGC. Also... she was a redhead and had a predominantly green outfit with teal highlights and bows. Set her apart from the main team. Also... Stargate... everything is better... with a little Teal'c to say... Indeed.
      db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
      I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
      The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
      Space Marines

Not to be pedantic, but its unknown to the Chapter or via record. Most likely, the primogenitor Chapters would be either Guilliman's Ultramarines or Dorn's Imperial Fists. These were simply the most prevalent and largest Legions after Istvaan and the final battle at Terra. The other either had "issues" (Dark Angels, etc. ) more genetic concerns (Salamanders, Blood Angels, etc.).
    • tdwisetdwise Member Posts: 3 Arc User
      Dark Eldar
      Dark Eldar because they throw the best parties...
      edited October 2015
      Chaos
      Not to be pedantic, but its unknown to the Chapter or via record. Most likely, the primogenitor Chapters would be either Guilliman's Ultramarines or Dorn's Imperial Fists. These were simply the most prevalent and largest Legions after Istvaan and the final battle at Terra. The other either had "issues" (Dark Angels, etc. ) more genetic concerns (Salamanders, Blood Angels, etc.).
      Enh, the Salamanders may look odd, but it's just their looks. I can't seem to find which page it was, but somewhere, there was a page that listed one of the legions as having possibly been created using geneseed from a traitor legion... to create a loyal legion. Found it: http://warhammer40k.wikia.com/wiki/Sons_of_Antaeus

This is interesting: http://warhammer40k.wikia.com/wiki/Lost_Primarchs Apparently they were "lost" before the Horus Heresy. One novel hinted that they were dead before the Great Crusade was over. But yeah, they do seem to be a blank for players to fill in.
      -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
      My character Tsin'xing
      Space Marines
      Whoa whoa ... that Chapter was not created from Traitor Legion geneseed ...

And I sit corrected - the Salamanders seed is not questionable. So they would make a third category "less-likely candidate as primogenitors" :)
      Chaos
      I said "possibly". It's apparently in-universe speculation based on how much they resemble a traitor legion.
      -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
      My character Tsin'xing
    • starswordcstarswordc Member Posts: 10,963 Arc User
      edited October 2015
      Tau Empire
      Enh, the Salamanders may look odd, but it's just their looks. I can't seem to find which page it was, but somewhere, there was a page that listed one of the legions as having possibly been created using geneseed from a traitor legion... to create a loyal legion. Found it: http://warhammer40k.wikia.com/wiki/Sons_of_Antaeus

This is interesting: http://warhammer40k.wikia.com/wiki/Lost_Primarchs Apparently they were "lost" before the Horus Heresy. One novel hinted that they were dead before the Great Crusade was over. But yeah, they do seem to be a blank for players to fill in.

The Blood Ravens are also apparently a spinoff from the Thousand Sons, which is the reason they have a higher-than-average number of librarians (Thousand Sons primarch Magnus the Red was one hell of a psyker, pun intended).

And I actually liked the Salamanders better when they were just black people, instead of coal-black with glowing red eyes.
      "Great War! / And I cannot take more! / Great tour! / I keep on marching on / I play the great score / There will be no encore / Great War! / The War to End All Wars"
      — Sabaton, "Great War"
      VZ9ASdg.png

Check out https://unitedfederationofpla.net/s/
    • coupaholiccoupaholic Member Posts: 2,188 Arc User
      Orks
      Orkz of course. It's all about the dakka.​​
    • oldravenman3025oldravenman3025 Member Posts: 1,892 Arc User

There were past hints that the missing Legions got axed by the Space Wolves, who were, for all intents and purposes, the Emperor's executioners and enforcers among the Astartes. But that kinda backfired when they got tricked with false orders, and they sacked Prospero.