test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Terran Rep? I dunno......

By the looks of things, this may be good if you're a KDF with a Disruptor or Torpedo build, but I've gotten pretty comfortable with my AP build after all these years (with the addition of 1 Herald AP Beam Array to my assorted other AP beams).

But unless you're Dis/Torp, Terran doesn't seem to be worth the grind in my case, especially after the goose-egg that happened when I hit T5 in Iconian rep and all I got was one last one-sided phone call from Sela. Heck, I still use MACO deflector/engines with Elite Fleet core & shields, and they've been very reliable.

If there is something worth grinding for in Terran for a guy like me, please sell it to me.
2821j4m.jpg

Comments

• lingeringsoul888lingeringsoul888 Member Posts: 509 Arc User
    This actually gives me incentive to do a disruptor/Torp build, been putting it off for a while. Got an AP ship, Tetryon/Neutronic ship, Romulan Plasma ship and a thoron polaron ship. I've got a coalition disruptor ship but incomplete gear.
  • warmaker001bwarmaker001b Member Posts: 9,205 Arc User
    By the looks of things, this may be good if you're a KDF with a Disruptor or Torpedo build, but I've gotten pretty comfortable with my AP build after all these years (with the addition of 1 Herald AP Beam Array to my assorted other AP beams).

But unless you're Dis/Torp, Terran doesn't seem to be worth the grind in my case, especially after the goose-egg that happened when I hit T5 in Iconian rep and all I got was one last one-sided phone call from Sela. Heck, I still use MACO deflector/engines with Elite Fleet core & shields, and they've been very reliable.

If there is something worth grinding for in Terran for a guy like me, please sell it to me.

Terran Empire Rep is new so the jury is still out. I intend to work the rep to get additional traits for build options in the future as well as the option to get the gear if it turns out it's good.

I say this because when Iconian Rep first came out, I laughed about it. On face value, it didn't offer anything good or new. I openly derided Iconian Space Set on these boards and in various ingame channels. But when you really looked at the stats and set bonuses, Iconian Space Set is one of the best sets out there, even at full 4 pieces. Not very many space sets out there that can claim to be something desirable at the full 4 pieces.

So, give Terran Empire Rep time as more people unlock it and get the gear. It may be good. It may not be good when it's actually put into practical use and not just from stats-gazing.

Even if you don't get any gear from the new rep, completing T5 in any rep is no laughing matter in the rewards of rep marks and dilithium.
    XzRTofz.gif
  • rattler2rattler2 Member Posts: 58,008 Community Moderator
    Well... I'm looking forward to getting that Assault Kit Module - Micro Photon Torpedo Launcher for my main.
    latest?cb=20050408182108&path-prefix=en
    Come at me Bro!

Also... me being the costume fiend that I am... will be getting the full ground set for the costume unlock.
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
  • nikephorusnikephorus Member Posts: 2,744 Arc User
    I'll probably get the ground set. Not sure about the space stuff. Maybe if it breeds some worthwhile Toro torpedo builds. Other then that there's always the traits to consider. I'm going to do it on my main, but I don't believe I will bother with my alts this time around. Think I'm done trying to maintain them as competitive. Not like I pvp with them anymore anyway.
    Tza0PEl.png
    Well... there is still the Dilithium and mark reward at T5. *shrug*

I don't PvP myself, and have been using the same 4 traits since I got them.

I WANT MY BAZOOKA!
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
  • semalda226semalda226 Member Posts: 1,994 Arc User
    I may try out the warp core but the rest doesn't interest me in the least. I'm kinda getting sick of tac focused everything. It's getting to the point where I wish Cryptic would just fuse the classes and give you a selection of captian skills that you can buy a token to swap out with like with spec points but these will be captian skills
    tumblr_mxl2nyOKII1rizambo1_500.png

• theraven2378theraven2378 Member Posts: 5,985 Arc User
    I'll get the ground set, space set wise my Iconian 4 piece does the job nicely
    NMXb2ph.png
      "The meaning of victory is not to merely defeat your enemy but to destroy him, to completely eradicate him from living memory, to leave no remnant of his endeavours, to crush utterly his achievement and remove from all record his every trace of existence. From that defeat no enemy can ever recover. That is the meaning of victory."
      -Lord Commander Solar Macharius
      I used to be against implementing a more mmo trinity type game play, but I believe I was mistaken in that opinion. It's just a dps race now. You don't need debuffs, controls, or heals from a sci nor do you need the tankiness or increased power management skills of the eng because you can just dps everything. The only area of unique class play on the ground. Sad state really.
      Tza0PEl.png
      nikephorus wrote: »
      I used to be against implementing a more mmo trinity type game play, but I believe I was mistaken in that opinion. It's just a dps race now. You don't need debuffs, controls, or heals from a sci nor do you need the tankiness or increased power management skills of the eng because you can just dps everything. The only area of unique class play on the ground. Sad state really.

It's DPS obsession, I play for the fun not for DPS
      NMXb2ph.png
        "The meaning of victory is not to merely defeat your enemy but to destroy him, to completely eradicate him from living memory, to leave no remnant of his endeavours, to crush utterly his achievement and remove from all record his every trace of existence. From that defeat no enemy can ever recover. That is the meaning of victory."
        The problem is that the bar is set so high now in elite and advanced you need to worry about your dps contribution. If not you can become a hindrance to the team. It doesn't help that there timers everywhere now either.
        Tza0PEl.png
        edited October 2015
        The problem is that the bar is set so high now in elite and advanced you need to worry about your dps contribution. If not you can become a hindrance to the team. It doesn't help that there timers everywhere now either.

I can just about do 10k on my pathfinder, the powercreep has taken the fun out of having varied builds.
        It's DPS this or DPS that and the players who don't go for DPS are left behind in the dust.

Really grimes my gears
        NMXb2ph.png
        • peterconnorfirstpeterconnorfirst Member Posts: 6,225 Arc User

Quiet correct. DPS is not optional in this game anymore and anybody who thinks differently should stick to normal or play solo.

As for the OP, I’d definitely check out the new Warp Core. I hope we get 750 free terran marks at the end of the rep so it should be easy to get for my alts.

Ground stuff looks interesting for melee, the rest of the space set interesting for torpedo or drain builds.

But all in all I see no “I need 3000 marks to grab a full set” reason anywhere in the reput. That’s good because the new missions to grind the needed marks reward as poorly as a missions possibly can. It’s quiet a fun killer and a dead queue guarantee in a few weeks.
          animated.gif
          Looking for a fun PvE fleet? Join us at Omega Combat Division today.
          felisean wrote: »
          teamwork to reach a goal is awesome and highly appreciated
          I can just about do 10k on my pathfinder, the powercreep has taken the fun out of having varied builds.
          It's DPS this or DPS that and the players who don't go for DPS are left behind in the dust.

Really grimes my gears

I got chewed out by some guy in an AP Scimitar today during an Infected Advanced. For a while he decided to just berate our "lack of DPS" and even decided to not even participate for a while. Yet I seem to remember my 7.7k or so DPS Tetryon was being more consistant than him because he died more than I did. Heck... I only died once, and he berates me without realizing I've been playing since just before F2P.

BTW... 7.7k or so is better than the 0 anyone gets while dead. It just drives me nuts when the DPS chasers feel the need to start discriminating so openly during a STF.

I'm still fine tuning my Tetryon build, upgrading things here and there... I know the build works. Its just not a beast in DPS.

Anyways... back on track...
        • titansupremetitansupreme Member Posts: 47 Arc User

rattler2 wrote: »
          II got chewed out by some guy in an AP Scimitar today during an Infected Advanced. For a while he decided to just berate our "lack of DPS" and even decided to not even participate for a while. .

One of the reasons I left WoW those many years ago was because of mini-Hitlers like that who obsess so much about leet gear and "you're not awesome enough to hang out with me" that it destroys all the fun in the game. It's an attitude I really do not want to see them bringing into STO.

Just tell Mister You're-Not-Good-Enough to go back to WoW and play with his Panda.

2821j4m.jpg
        • mayito2009mayito2009 Member Posts: 643 Arc User
          I also play for fun (That is why my build sukks, I have one of each type of weapon equipped LOL)
          Seek and ye shall find. Ask and ye shall receive. Rabboni
          Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety" (Benjamin Franklin).

Most unexpectedly, this turned into a flame-fest! Closed it goes!. /sigh What flamefestery is this? pwlaughingtrendy
        • taylor1701dtaylor1701d Member Posts: 3,099 Arc User
          semalda226 wrote: »
          I may try out the warp core but the rest doesn't interest me in the least. I'm kinda getting sick of tac focused everything. It's getting to the point where I wish Cryptic would just fuse the classes and give you a selection of captian skills that you can buy a token to swap out with like with spec points but these will be captian skills

I'm looking forward to that warpcore as well.
          [img][/img]OD5urLn.jpg
        • hravikhravik Member Posts: 1,203 Arc User
          II got chewed out by some guy in an AP Scimitar today during an Infected Advanced. For a while he decided to just berate our "lack of DPS" and even decided to not even participate for a while. .

One of the reasons I left WoW those many years ago was because of mini-Hitlers like that who obsess so much about leet gear and "you're not awesome enough to hang out with me" that it destroys all the fun in the game. It's an attitude I really do not want to see them bringing into STO.

Just tell Mister You're-Not-Good-Enough to go back to WoW and play with his Panda.

I used to drive people nuts with that when pugging. I was a holy paladin that was absurdly well geared at the time, but I flat refused to group with anyone that asked me what my gearscore was. I'd rather play with people that just want to play, or help out folks that actually needed the runs for gear than group with someone worried about a number.

• coupaholiccoupaholic Member Posts: 2,188 Arc User

Elite sure, not so sure about Advanced. Most of the time they'll be players to carry the team if needed (even if they do moan about it) and it's quite simple to get close to the 10k mark with some basic know-how.

I was surprised to see my cobbled together Excelsior build doing around 9k in ISA. The thing uses blue MK XII gear. Anyway, this is derailing into territory we've all seen before. Back on track.

OP might as well grind the rep even if you won't bother getting the gear. All the new content you'll be doing grants marks and there could be a handy trait to have if nothing else. You won't lose much running the daily XP project every so often.​​
        • kjwashingtonkjwashington Member Posts: 2,529 Arc User
          Well... I'm looking forward to getting that Assault Kit Module - Micro Photon Torpedo Launcher for my main.
          Come at me Bro!

Also... me being the costume fiend that I am... will be getting the full ground set for the costume unlock.

I'm curious, is the micro photon torpedo launcher boosted by grenades? Likewise, are the metaphasic radiation and override shield safeties boosted by medic and repairs, respectively? Or boosted by anything?
          FaW%20meme_zpsbkzfjonz.jpg
          Support 90 degree arc limitation on BFaW! Save our ships from looking like flying disco balls of dumb!
        • lianthelialianthelia Member Posts: 7,825 Arc User
          semalda226 wrote: »

Wont change much...everyone will still be tac focused...no one would ever pass up APA...so basically everyone would have APA...no one would take anything besides Tactical Fleet...Miracle Worker could be used instead of GDF...but then again maybe not with all of these immune abilities...especially the one that keeps you from dying.

Sure people will take Nadeon inversion unless they don't have reciprocity...

It will just eliminate what little there is left and most people will take a max dps cookie cutter...
        • mixiplix777mixiplix777 Member Posts: 72 Arc User
          aside from the warp core, the rest of the space set is trash. the torp console is nice though. but with the torp console, comes adapted maco set, which makes the rest of the space set even more trash
        • billmorgan3billmorgan3 Member Posts: 20 Arc User
          I dragged my BoP torp boat out of dry dock because of the Terran rep but I dont think I will grind it for my AP beam ship.
          Come at me Bro!

I'm curious, is the micro photon torpedo launcher boosted by grenades? Likewise, are the metaphasic radiation and override shield safeties boosted by medic and repairs, respectively? Or boosted by anything?

That is a good question. However... until we get people up to at least T3 Terran... I don't think we'll know unless someone checked it out on Tribble already. If I'm right... we're only hitting T1 on Terran if we've been keeping up every day since it came out.
        • duncanidaho11duncanidaho11 Member Posts: 7,867 Arc User
          edited October 2015
          Even if you don't get any gear from the new rep, completing T5 in any rep is no laughing matter in the rewards of rep marks and dilithium.

One of the rep traits may also come in handy at some point for some build. There really isn't any reason not to complete a rep (all it takes is the odd daily bonus and some time spent with new content). The question is always do you want the gear and that's always a specific thing. STO wouldn't be built correctly if the question to "new thing" was always "yes, must have." It's always a question of what's most suitable for your build and how much more do you want to put into it.
          Bipedal mammal and senior Foundry author.
          Notable missions: Apex [AEI], Gemini [SSF], Trident [AEI], Evolution's Smile [SSF], Transcendence
          Looking for something new to play? I've started building Foundry missions again in visual novel form!
        • farmallmfarmallm Member Posts: 4,630 Arc User
          I won't do it, since I don't see much fun out of it. I like to solo these and they didn't provide a way to do it.
          Enterprise%20C_zpsrdrf3v8d.jpg

USS Casinghead NCC 92047 launched 2350
          Fleet Admiral Stowe - Dominion War Vet.
        • sheldonlcoopersheldonlcooper Member Posts: 4,042 Arc User
          Well I do happen to have 1 disruptor/photon character. However, the console you need for the good 3 piece seems a waste to me. I'm sure I'll try it anyway.
          Captain Jean-Luc Picard: "We think we've come so far. Torture of heretics, burning of witches, it's all ancient history. Then - before you can blink an eye - suddenly it threatens to start all over again."

"With the first link, the chain is forged. The first speech censured, the first thought forbidden, the first freedom denied, chains us all irrevocably."

Come at me Bro!

That is a good question. However... until we get people up to at least T3 Terran... I don't think we'll know unless someone checked it out on Tribble already. If I'm right... we're only hitting T1 on Terran if we've been keeping up every day since it came out.

Working my way to tier 2 on that rep
          NMXb2ph.png
          • ltminnsltminns Member Posts: 12,569 Arc User
            No way to Solo? Badlands Battlezone. Just go in and shoot and stuff, no formal grouping. You can end up with 4 Elite Marks per Cycle.
            'But to be logical is not to be right', and 'nothing' on God's earth could ever 'make it' right!'
            Judge Dan Haywood
            'As l speak now, the words are forming in my head.
            l don't know.
            l really don't know what l'm about to say, except l have a feeling about it.
            That l must repeat the words that come without my knowledge.'
            Lt. Philip J. Minns
          • warmaker001bwarmaker001b Member Posts: 9,205 Arc User

If you want to play Elite, then you got to know the game and have a solid build, good equipment.

For Advanced, you don't even need fancy gear. Knowing how to play and playing with a decent build is just fine. You don't need some mega-high DPS to do Advanced. Sure, "Moar DPS" helps and will make most of it a breeze. But floating around 10k DPS, give or take a few K, is way more than enough. Mission familiarity will carry you further than equipment, because you can curbstomp the living TRIBBLE out of this game with Mk IX Common / Uncommon gear.
            XzRTofz.gif
          • mustrumridcully0mustrumridcully0 Member Posts: 12,963 Arc User
            I think it is a mistake to have a DPS class.

Every class should have the same damage capability. The difference between classes should be more in how you play them, and how you reach their full potential.

Some classes could work by flanking, maneuvering, close distance and speed. Others by debuffing and crowd control. And others by surviving damage and being able to last longer in a firefight without needing to retreat.

STO had some potential there, actually, at least in terms of the ships. PArticularly now, Cruiser and Escort seem equally damage focused. (But not in the right way, IMO - the main damage potential from a Cruiser should come from his engineering abilities.)
            But the Tactical Career is way too damage focused, and not positioning/maneuvering focused.

Star Trek Online Advancement: You start with lowbie gear, you end with Lobi gear.