test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Unable to start game client: success

Comments

• whatthephloxwhatthephlox Member Posts: 35 Arc User
    I remember when I went to star trek las vegas just for the sto talk. The Rio hotel wreaked of cigarettes and the decaying social life of numerous elderly women, but the man strolling casually beside me in his TNG outfit didn't seem to mind. He was on a mission, and so was I.

The room was huge, but most people had cleared out after seeing a few of their favorite Ferengi on stage, so I grabbed a seat as far up as I could. I found myself seated in the first row of the now empty general admission section near a man dressed in full Vulcan robes. As I greeted him, he asked what the next event was. I proudly stated, "its the star trek online presentation!". He looked at me confused... "its a star trek video game" I said. He laughed in delight and replied, "ahh, yes! You must enjoy it very much to come all the way here". He was right.

By the end of the presentation, the hype was real. All the announcements of new features and content had my head spinning. The handful of loyal fans in the room were bustling with excitement and I was no different. I thought, "man, what a great game. I'm really glad I got that life time sub so long ago".

Upon returning home I made sure to report all the news to my fleet. Fleet events were made, giveaways and a starbase party were in the works. I knew that come late october, life would be good. Halloween, the world series, and sto.

I was wrong. Get your TRIBBLE together cryptic, this is garbage.
  • swamarianswamarian Member Posts: 1,506 Arc User
    Yup. Paying customer. Bought all sorts of ships and game services. Not even a response from these guys.

They've talked about it on twitter and reddit. There's an official message which I quoted on the message above yours in announcements. They're not ignoring Mac players.
  • elostralelostral Member Posts: 2 Arc User
    Read the post on Reddit https://www.reddit.com/r/sto/comments/3qfpy8/mac_client_broken/ . Read all of it, there is something that may help many users.
  • iathoriathor Member Posts: 71 Arc User
    They're probably doing software archeology on the launcher right now -- I think the codebase comes from the pre-Arc launcher, and they may not have anyone around anymore who knows how it actually works. A little poking around with the Unix "strings" tools last night suggests the issue is coming out of the launcher module that deals with login and authentication. Security-related code can be tricky to understand and modify, especially if the security token exchanges with the server are involved, so patience is indicated.

I'm guessing that once they figure out what's actually going wrong, it won't take them long to fix it -- this isn't happening in the client code where there's a ton of threads stomping all over each other, making bugs hard to isolate and fix.

Sounds like they'll try to make up the launch freebies to us in some way, which is good.
  • royalsovereignroyalsovereign Member Posts: 1,344 Arc User
    Part of me feels for you guys - I was in a group that got locked out after every major release for a long time.

After Legacy of Romulus went live, there was a large group of us that couldn't play for 5-6 weeks before it finally got fixed, only to break again at the next major release with the same error. I think the second time it took about 4 weeks to fix. The third time was about the same.

Part of me gets irritated with all the shouting, threatening, entitled whining, etc. But then I recall those discussion threads we had, and they were just the same - lots of people looking for information, and a vocal minority screaming at the top of their lungs about how they were being screwed.

All I can suggest to you Gold players is, cancel your subscription. If you feel like renewing when this is all sorted, feel free. Or just stay FTP for awhile, and let that do the talking for you.
    "You Iconians just hung a vacancy sign on your asses and my foot's looking for a room!"
    --Red Annorax
  • dandyludandylu Member Posts: 14 Arc User
    I hear you there! I was preparing to spend the money to go gold this time around. With the release of DR I didn't see there was a problem, and I really enjoyed the game play, so I started saving up the money again, but now I don't see why I should actually pay for it. Take a break and stop purchasing zen is about right. The only thing I fear with that act is that arc will see it as an opportunity to start charging zen for things, and that will affect the game for others. I don't want to see that happen. Its a downward spiral that could just be solved with communication. If only through the support tickets (to save face on social media). :'(
    Part of me feels for you guys - I was in a group that got locked out after every major release for a long time.

After Legacy of Romulus went live, there was a large group of us that couldn't play for 5-6 weeks before it finally got fixed, only to break again at the next major release with the same error. I think the second time it took about 4 weeks to fix. The third time was about the same.

Part of me gets irritated with all the shouting, threatening, entitled whining, etc. But then I recall those discussion threads we had, and they were just the same - lots of people looking for information, and a vocal minority screaming at the top of their lungs about how they were being screwed.

All I can suggest to you Gold players is, cancel your subscription. If you feel like renewing when this is all sorted, feel free. Or just stay FTP for awhile, and let that do the talking for you.
  • miamijulesmiamijules Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    Think the damn Ruskie's took out the Trans-Atlantic cables!? I tell you.... what in the hell is the world coming to?! Okay but seriously, I need to get on this game -- withdrawals! By the way, check the Zen store when you do get on - free ship giveaway (I logged on with Windows and got an Excelsior Retrofit.
  • batmancalero1234batmancalero1234 Member Posts: 53 Arc User
    WELL, IT LOOKS LIKE MY PERSONAL BOYCOTT WORKED. AT LEAST THE BOYCOTT GOT THE GEEK PROGRAMMERS TO START CONFESSING ABOUT THEIR LATEST IN A LONG LIST OF TRIBBLE UPS ON THIS TREK ONLINE GAME. SO, I'M GOING TO WAIT AND SEE IF THEY FINALLY DECIDE TO FIX THIS LONG LIST OF PROBLEMS THEY CAUSED ON THIS GAME. IN THE MEANTIME, I'LL CONTINUE PLAYING "STAR TREK: LEGACY" ON MY XBOX 360. IT'S A BETTER GAME FOR ME. AND NO GLITCHES IN THAT XBOX 360 VIDEO GAME.
  • archonicalarchonical Member Posts: 15 Arc User
    @batmancalero1234 If you want people to take you seriously, stop writing in ALL CAPS. It is immature and only alienates you.
  • nextloopnextloop Member Posts: 19 Arc User
    archonical wrote: »
    @batmancalero1234 If you want people to take you seriously, stop writing in ALL CAPS. It is immature and only alienates you.

Amen
    LISTEN, GUYS, I ALREADY GOT A RESPONSE FROM THE TOP HONCHOS OF STAR TREK ONLINE FROM MY E-MAIL AND THEY SAID THAT THEY ARE WORKING ON THE TREK ONLINE APP FOR MAC USERS RIGHT NOW AND IT WILL TAKE SOME TIME FOR THEM TO FIGURE IT OUT WHAT WENT WRONG. AND DESPITE YOUR POPULAR BELIEF, THEY ARE NOT PLANNING TO DISCONTINUE THE APP FOR MAC USERS. THE MAC TREK APP IS GOING TO STAY. SO YOU AND I NEED TO HOSE THE REBELLION DOWN UNTIL THEY DO FIX IT. WE NEED TO GIVE THEM TIME TO FIX IT. AND, NEXTLOOP AND ARCHONCAL, I DON'T NEED YOUR ADVICE ON HOW TO WRITE. I LIKE TO DO THINGS ON MY OWN WITHOUT YOUR SO-CALLED HELP. YOU PUNK TRIBBLE TRIBBLE NEED TO QUIT WHILE YOU'RE BEHIND.
    ...AND TO THE OTHER GUYS, THANK YOU. AT LEAST NOW, OUR LITTLE REBELLION HAS WORKED. WE GOT THE STO BOSSES' ATTENTION AND NOW WE LET THEM DO THEIR WORK IN FIXING THE PROBLEM. LET THEM TAKE THEIR TIME AND DO THEIR JOB. FOR NOW, OUR JOB IS DONE.
    ...FOR RIGHT NOW, I'LL CONTINUE PLAYING STAR TREK: LEGACY ON THE XBOX 360 BY MYSELF AS USUAL AND YOU GUYS NEED TO LEARN TO GET AWAY FROM YOUR COMPUTERS FOR A WHILE AND START LEARNING TO ACT LIKE HUMANS AGAIN. BEING A HUMAN INSTEAD OF A ROBOT WILL DO YOU GUYS A LOT OF GOOD. EVEN THE BIMBO HUMANS NEED TO LEARN THAT LITTLE FACT FOR THEMSELVES. IT WILL GIVE THE BIMBOS A SENSE OF HUMOR AGAIN AND SOME SENSE TOO ON HOW TO BE A COMPASSIONATE HUMAN TO THEIR BOYFRIENDS AND THE OTHER MEN ON THIS SCREWED UP PLANET. IN THE MEANTIME, I'LL BE NEXT DOOR IN CASE YOU NEED MY HELP AGAIN. AS SNAKE PLISSKEN ALWAYS SAYS, "WELCOME TO THE HUMAN RACE."
  • barimanforumsbarimanforums Member Posts: 104 Arc User
    This should be redundant, be I'll add my name to the list of folks who can't get on right now because I'm currently on a MAC.

Unfortunately, there's not much else I can do that isn't counter productive in this situation:

I already can't play, and I've had a lifetime membership for years....
  • marvelmitemarvelmite Member Posts: 49 Arc User
    This should be redundant, be I'll add my name to the list of folks who can't get on right now because I'm currently on a MAC.

Unfortunately, there's not much else I can do that isn't counter productive in this situation:

I already can't play, and I've had a lifetime membership for years....

I feel your pain there Bariman. However, tomorrow is a patch day. Even though they have been hashing out on Twitter that they are "aware of the problem", the potential for them to have a work around tomorrow might be there! You never know! Fingers crossed and chins up!
  • mattheusvmattheusv Member Posts: 4 Arc User
    @batmancalero1234, if you're using ALL Caps it's not only irritating other community members, STO staff members will ignore you. I've the same issue, send them an support ticket and guess what, i've got an e-mail back with the same info you got.
    It won't help if you scream with all caps or that you be kind and respectful, we all need, sadly enough, to wait until they find the problem and fix it.
  • paulyd4paulyd4 Member Posts: 11 Arc User
    I just read the release notes for today's patch. They don't even put the login problem in "Known issues"...
  • sammillinsonsammillinson Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    Just tried to get online after todays maintenance, still getting the same error message and unable to login. This is ridiculous :(
    AND I'LL WAIT LIKE EVERYONE ELSE. I JUST GAVE THE MESSAGE THAT THE STO BOSSES IN CHARGE TOLD ME AND THAT'S IT. I'M NOT CRYING OVER SPILLED MILK LIKE EVERYONE ELSE IS DOING NOW. I'M SATISFIED WITH THE ANSWER I GOT AND THAT'S IT. FOR ME, IT'S CASE CLOSED. IT'S DONE. I'LL WAIT. WHAT YOU GUYS AND GALS WANT TO DO WITH THE MESSAGE IS NOT MY PROBLEM. I DON'T VALUE A COMPUTER ABOVE A HUMAN LIFE. MOST OF YOU DO THAT KIND OF THING MUCH TOO OFTEN. BUT I DON'T. HUMAN LIFE IS MORE IMPORTANT TO ME THAN THE MACHINES WE USE. YOU GUYS AND GALS HAVE FORGOTTEN THAT FOR A LONG TIME. AND YOU GUYS AND GALS NEED TO GET YOUR PRIORITIES STRAIGHTEN OUT BEFORE YOU GUYS AND GALS DECIDE TO KILL MORE HUMAN LIVES BECAUSE OF YOUR COLLECTIVE LOVE FEST FOR MACHINES. AND IT'S ABOUT TIME THAT YOU GUYS AND GALS NEED AN INTERVENTION BECAUSE IT SEEMS YOU ALL NEEDED TO LEARN THIS LESSON THE HARD WAY.
    YOU DO REMEMBER THE WORDS THAT SNAKE PLISSKEN JUST SAID, "WELCOME TO THE HUMAN RACE." YOU SAW THE MOVIE "ESCAPE FROM L.A." AND NOW WE LIVE IN A REAL LIFE DICTATORSHIP THANKS TO ALL OF YOU KIDS OUT THERE AND ALSO THANKS TO YOUR GOOD FRIEND NAMED OBAMA. NOW YOU KIDS NEED TO LEARN HOW TO LIVE IN THIS DICTATORSHIP LIKE EVERYONE ELSE BECAUSE THAT'S OUR REALITY NOW AND IT'S NOW UP TO ME AND THE OTHER GEN-X-ERS TO FIX THE MESS YOU KIDS JUST CREATED.

LOOK, YOU KIDS DO WHAT YOU WANT TO DO. YOU CONTINUE WASTING YOUR TIME WAITING OVER YOUR LITTLE TREK VIDEO GAME. I DON'T GIVE A TRIBBLE ABOUT IT. THAT'S NOT MY PROBLEM. MY PROBLEM IS DEALING WITH THAT IDIOT OBAMA. I GOT MY UPDATED VOTING CARD TWO WEEKS AGO AND I'M GOING TO GET BUSY VOTING FOR A REPUBLICAN PRESIDENT OF THE UNITED STATES.
    .....AND HERE'S A LITTLE NEWS FOR HALF OF YOU THAT STILL BELIEVE IN THIS POLITICAL CORRECTNESS TRIBBLE. I'M NOT A LITTLE PANSY LIKE SOME OF YOU ARE. I'M A BAD TRIBBLE. I GO BY MY RULES ALONE AND THAT'S IT. AND MY RULES ARE "THERE ARE NO RULES." I DON'T GO BY YOUR LITTLE "P.C." OR THE "LOL" RULES. YOUR "P.C."/"LOL" RULES OF YOUR 21ST CENTURY ARE IN FACT A JOKE. AND YOU PEOPLE DON'T VALUE ANY HUMAN LIFE THE WAY I DO BACK IN THE 20TH CENTURY. YOU PEOPLE ONLY VALUE YOUR OWN COMPUTER BOYFRIENDS/GIRLFRIENDS. YOU PEOPLE HAVE A LOT TO LEARN ON HOW TO MAN UP AND NOT BE A SISSIE. YOU DON'T LIKE IT, I DON'T CARE. I DO WHAT I WANT AND THAT'S IT. AND I DON'T TAKE ORDERS FROM ANYONE. NOT EVEN FEMALES. I WRITE BIG WORDS HERE BECAUSE I FEEL LIKE IT. YOU PEOPLE DON'T LIKE HOW I RUN THINGS, THEN YOU PEOPLE NEED TO CONTINUE HAVING SEX WITH YOUR OWN COMPUTERS AND SEE HOW THAT TURNS OUT FOR ALL OF YOU.
  • northstar121403northstar121403 Member Posts: 46 Arc User
    edited October 2015
    @batmancalero1234 ....What uniform do you wear? Army? Navy? Air Force? Marines? Police? Fire Firefighter? EMS?.....hell...Pro football? Basketball? baseball? Hockey?...Do you mentor youth in your local area? Work with the homeless? Volunteer at shelters or work with Habitat?

"Badass"?...I don't know who you are or what you do in real life but I've spent nearly 20 years living and working with REAL badasses. I've worn the uniforms and done the things that most only talk about while watching the evening news. Right now you're no "badass". You seem like some self entitled punk with a chip on their shoulder who knows how to press caps lock.

Get over yourself
    Making Borg go *BOOM* since May 2010

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • northstar121403northstar121403 Member Posts: 46 Arc User
    Ohh...and I still can't log-in to holodeck or tribble either. LOL
    Making Borg go *BOOM* since May 2010

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • jonasum#1471 jonasum Member Posts: 19 Arc User
    writing in caps means screaming - it's part of a netiquette rule which is as old as the internet. And I don't want to be screamed at. Can somebody please shut this preacher off? There are rules, especially behavioral ones and when he is claiming that he is a badass he should be treated as one. Like a one-week ban? Please? We are all a little annoyed because it's still not possible to use the services we paid for (at least some of us and far more than you normally pay for a regular game) and people like this batman-outlaw-preacher-"badass" makes us even more angry.

Well, at least me. I can't speak for others.
  • whatthephloxwhatthephlox Member Posts: 35 Arc User
    maybe if trendy had even looked at this thread once she would have done something about batman lol
  • supergirl1611supergirl1611 Member Posts: 809 Arc User
    maybe if trendy had even looked at this thread once she would have done something about batman lol

but but he's BATMAN :)
  • nimrod5nimrod5 Member Posts: 41 Arc User
    For someone who doesn't care he posts allot.

I'm still having the same issue as everyone else.

No freebies for me lol
  • kcchief14kcchief14 Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    TRIBBLE CRYPTIC FOR IGNORING MAC CLIENTS
  • johnwatson71johnwatson71 Member Posts: 187 Arc User
    kcchief14 wrote: »
    TRIBBLE CRYPTIC FOR IGNORING MAC CLIENTS

Come on, did any of us mac users really expect anything different? We just have to accept that our client is not a priority because they're too busy licking windows's a** XD
    7aamriW.png