test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Season 11 - Mac Login Issue

yetweallfalldownyetweallfalldown Member Posts: 13 Administrator
Hi Captains,

As you are aware, Star Trek Online: Season 11 - New Dawn launched with an issue that is currently preventing Mac users from logging into the game. We have stated on Twitter that the team is still looking into what are causing the issues. Although we haven't pinpointed any exact details on the cause, we are still very aware of the issues that players are facing and are working to get you back into the game.

We are also aware that not logging in prevented players from receiving the launch promotion. Our team is discussing what we can potentially do about that as well.

As always, we appreciate the feedback of the community and are working towards creating a positive gaming experience for you all.

Alex
Communications Manager - Perfect World Entertainment
| Support | [YouTube |

Comments

• Options
    eighrichteeighrichte Member Posts: 338 Arc User
    Thanks for the update. Please keep us posted.
  • Options
    sevenofnine13141sevenofnine13141 Member Posts: 4,272 Arc User
    edited October 2015
    To: Star Trek Online Development Team
    Good to hear that the team is working to solve the issues many people have been having.
    I also sincerely thank the Development team for repairing the issues with the Galaxy-X Dreadnought, now officially called the Yamato-Class Dreadnought Cruiser, as well as the official installation of the Admiralty System, and many other things such as a to-be-added Drydock System, please keep me and the Admiralty and other Alliance personnel posted.

Sincerely,
    Admiral Raneson
    | State of the Federation |
    The German Empire
    Founded 2413
    Leader: S. Raneson
    de_pr2.gif
  • Options
    kdaaronkdaaron Member Posts: 14 Arc User
    Thank you for posting.
    My goal is to build the strongest ship in the federation fleet
  • Options
    walterofbishopwalterofbishop Member Posts: 14 Arc User
    Thank you for the update - appreciate your efforts to troubleshoot the issue.
  • Options
    warpaint21warpaint21 Member Posts: 62 Arc User
    Thanks for the posting.
  • Options
    sf911sf911 Member Posts: 284 Arc User
    Thank you for the update. Much appreciated.
  • Options
    sunfranckssunfrancks Member Posts: 3,925 Arc User
    Who let Picard in here?

56001038.jpg
    Fed: Eng Lib Borg (Five) Tac Andorian (Shen) Sci Alien/Klingon (Maelrock) KDF:Tac Romulan KDF (Sasha) Tac Klingon (K'dopis)
    Founder, member and former leader to Pride Of The Federation Fleet.
    What I feel after I hear about every decision made since Andre "Mobile Games Generalisimo" Emerson arrived...
    3oz8xC9gn8Fh4DK9Q4.gif

• Options
    raj011raj011 Member Posts: 987 Arc User
    Thank you for your response.
  • Options
    wiseass513wiseass513 Member Posts: 27 Arc User
    Thank you for responding, are you having your teams working around the clock etc to fix this problem. If i were on a free to play plan I likely would not be upset, however I pay monthly and I am not currently able to use the service that I am paying for.
  • Options
    mrtoveymrtovey Member Posts: 42 Arc User
    Thank you so much for update was getting scared mac was gonna be dropped. Thanks for all your hard work.
  • Options
    thestargazethestargaze Member Posts: 1,020 Arc User
    Thanks for giving an official insight to the mac issue.
  • Options
    paulyd4paulyd4 Member Posts: 11 Arc User
    A relief to finally hear from the devs! It's great to know that a solution to the giveaway (and on a more important note, the connection issue, is in the works) Keep up the good work, and keep us posted!
  • Options
    iathoriathor Member Posts: 71 Arc User
    Glad to hear official word. I'm a bit surprised it's taking this long to identify the problem, but I suppose the Mac launcher is covered in cobwebs at this point -- looks like it hasn't been changed for over a year, from the file dates.
  • Options
    ianeasaianeasa Member Posts: 10 Arc User
    Thanks for the update.

• Options
    I guess its to optimistic to think its has been solved by now?
  • Options
    johnwatson71johnwatson71 Member Posts: 187 Arc User
    You don't know the cause? So what you are saying is that this could potentially take a long time to fix?
    7aamriW.png
  • Options
    nyarka123nyarka123 Member Posts: 19 Arc User
    Thank you for working on the problem. I look forward to finally being able to play this new season of STO (and getting the ships.)
    Mac user.
    Captain: ISS Terror (Mirror Guardian)

tumblr_static_tumblr_lutla7afj51qd6v0do1_500.gif
  • Options
    nebfabnebfab Member Posts: 672 Arc User
    edited October 2015
    Thanks for keeping us informed, and good luck finding the cause.
    iathor wrote: »
    Glad to hear official word. I'm a bit surprised it's taking this long to identify the problem, but I suppose the Mac launcher is covered in cobwebs at this point -- looks like it hasn't been changed for over a year, from the file dates.
    Just some wild speculations from someone who knows nothing about STO specifically...

This just has "it's one of those bugs" written all over it... It's a Mac bug that also happens on some Windows boxes (according to the bug thread,) It's an "operation completed successfully" bug, which probably means that there is an error in an error handling routine which overwrites all the information that could've helped you to trace the original problem... And it may relate to some blast-from-the past code written 15 years ago, because I vaguely remember something about anything using Win2000 and early versions of XP network libraries having a very similar problem back in early 2000s... And it escaped pre-release testing, yet hits most (all?) the Mac users in production release... This isn't as bad as a bug can get, but it's very,very close.
  • Options
    johnlock33johnlock33 Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    Somehow I'm not surprised. I could tell by the length of the download that something was not going to work right.
  • Options
    xylylxylyl Member Posts: 45 Arc User
    Thank you Cryptic for this status update for Mac users.
    Am supplicating to my pagan goddess to assist you.

Blessed be... RRF Admiral Cybyl

Thus spake Admiral Cybyl:  Alea iacta est. Ibis redibis,numquam per bello peribis. Ergo, per aspera ad astra!
  • Options
    psycoticvulcanpsycoticvulcan Member Posts: 4,160 Arc User
    Thanks for the update. Looking forward to experiencing S11.
    NJ9oXSO.png
    "Critics who say that the optimistic utopia Star Trek depicted is now outmoded forget the cultural context that gave birth to it: Star Trek was not a manifestation of optimism when optimism was easy. Star Trek declared a hope for a future that nobody stuck in the present could believe in. For all our struggles today, we haven’t outgrown the need for stories like Star Trek. We need tales of optimism, of heroes, of courage and goodness now as much as we’ve ever needed them."
    -Thomas Marrone
  • Options
    section31rpsection31rp Member Posts: 78 Arc User
    I hope this issue can be sorted soon :)
    Richard Evans
    Risa - The Star Trek Social Media Site
    http://goo.gl/gJsMU9
  • Options
    foxhemfoxhem Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    Its good to get some feed back, now going to dig out my old PC from the loft to see if I can play.
    Please fix soon so I can get back to my mac!
  • Options
    mhall85mhall85 Member Posts: 2,852 Arc User1
    Thank you for the update!
    d87926bd02aaa4eb12e2bb0fbc1f7061.jpg
  • Options
    andykirkhamandykirkham Member Posts: 18 Arc User
    Thank you for admitting that there is an ongoing error. When Delta Rising was released Mac system errors were not handled well by Perfect World. In saying that however, it is unacceptable that once again, following a major game update and special release, which anticipation had been building for, the Mac version of the game is not fit for play. It should have been tested prior to release. I am a life-long fan of both Star Trek and the game but it is not a pleasant experience to be treated so disrespectfully just because of my platform preference. I know I speak for all Mac players in saying we look forward to your addressing this problem and closing it out in full.
  • Options
    edited October 2015
    Hey Cryptic, you know how you could more successfully avoid these types of issues with your mac client? Fully port the game to the Mac platform. You have a very dedicated mac player base (that would only GROW), that you could only make MORE money from if you had a fully supported mac port of this game. Instead of a lousy emulator.

Just something to consider. A full mac port means more money for you. And since when does your company ever say no to making more money lol.
    7aamriW.png
  • Options
    @johnwatson71 I think it would cost to much to make that transition... but I agree, a bug free mac platform or client would be nice.

Didn't anyone test this before the release? Would have saved a lot of problems and avoided annoyed "potential" customers. I am sure someone at Cryptic has a mac computer? Of course I know that some thing cannot be tested within Cryptic.
  • Options
    edited October 2015
    @johnwatson71 I think it would cost to much to make that transition... but I agree, a bug free mac platform or client would be nice.

Didn't anyone test this before the release? Would have saved a lot of problems and avoided annoyed "potential" customers. I am sure someone at Cryptic has a mac computer? Of course I know that some thing cannot be tested within Cryptic.

The added cost of fully porting would be made up by more mac players having a working mmo on their platform, thus drawing in a bigger mac audience (more players willing to spend money). It would pay for itself in no time. Even current mac players would probably be willing to drop more cash if they had a full port client that was reliable and maintained as much as the windows client is.

Yes it would be an investment on their part. But one that would pay for itself in no time if they weren't so cheap. Which is ironic with how much money they probably grub already.
    7aamriW.png
  • Options
    starward7starward7 Member Posts: 4 Arc User
    Thank you for the update on the situation. Waiting patiently :-).
  • Options
    archbetharchbeth Member Posts: 53 Arc User
    Perhaps run a kickstarter to port STO entirely to... isn't it Lua that WoW uses? And it runs on both Mac and Windows? So they'd only have to maintain one codebase that way. I'd probably drop a couple hundred for that, if it meant I was more likely to keep my beloved STO characters, instead of losing them the way I lost my EverQuest ones.
This discussion has been closed.