test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Unable to start game client: success

Comments

• Options
    mixiplix777mixiplix777 Member Posts: 72 Arc User
    so. my error, that i fixed, was actually my error.
    I originally installed sto to my backup drive, which is 2tb.
    but, I copied the game folder over to my main driver, since usb drives have horrible seek times.
    so, when I patched this morning, it didnt patch my main drive installation, since it assumed I ran the sto program
    from my installation drive, even though that drive had never been ran. once I changed the installation folder in my registry to my main drive, it patched and plays fine.

jokes on me.
  • Options
    cptjono12340cptjono12340 Member Posts: 3 Arc User
    Do we have a timescale for the fix?
  • Options
    johnwatson71johnwatson71 Member Posts: 187 Arc User
    Do we have a timescale for the fix?

of course not . They are only at the "looking into it..." stage of things. Could take days, weeks. they may even decide to axe mac support altogether. We won't know until they know basically.
    7aamriW.png
  • Options
    marvelmitemarvelmite Member Posts: 49 Arc User
    eighrichte wrote: »
    Incidentally, wasn't Transgaming's emulation business and tech bought out by Nvidia? What does that mean for the Mac client going forward?

That is an interesting question. Since the purchase, I haven't seen too many games actually PORTED to the Mac, rather that a version of the game launcher for both PC and MAC have been created and connect to the same server. Ah makes me long for City of Heroes days when they released a mac version pretty much the same way.. (through transgaming) however, the debs there kept an eye on how their mac players experiences were. And so far.. I'm having no experience.

Well. it's definitely a New Dawn.. dawn of.. eh. nothing. So far. But patiently I shall wait! (even posted to Laughing Trendy and didn't hear a thing back)
  • Options
    brianfreese01brianfreese01 Member Posts: 3 Arc User
    Mine is doing much the same thing, and I've submitted a tech support ticket on it. Seems that other friends here at the University of Georgia using Macs are experiencing the same. Sucks because we're missing out on the giveaways for the grand kick-off. Hope they plan to do something for us to make up for this slight against loyal gamers who use Macs!
  • Options
    marvelmitemarvelmite Member Posts: 49 Arc User
    I AGREE! And I hope that they do. Quite a few gamers have expressed an interest in an extension as well. Heck, I'm ticked off that there's a sale on keys and I can't get in to even BUY them. Shucks.
    Mine is doing much the same thing, and I've submitted a tech support ticket on it. Seems that other friends here at the University of Georgia using Macs are experiencing the same. Sucks because we're missing out on the giveaways for the grand kick-off. Hope they plan to do something for us to make up for this slight against loyal gamers who use Macs!

• Options
    caporioncaporion Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    Also having this issue on a MAC
  • Options
    iathoriathor Member Posts: 71 Arc User
    edited October 2015
    I've been poking inside the game folder, looking at logs and the like. Doesn't seem to be anything new going on in the error logs that have modified since the S11 patch today. Only weird thing I found is that the GameClient.exe file at transgaming/c_drive/StarTrekOnline/Star Trek Online/Live/GameClient.exe is showing a last-modified date of *yesterday* at about 3pm ET, which makes little sense. I would have expected today around 1pm ET, which is when I patched, and is the time the various piggs/*.hogg files are showing. The crypticError.exe file in the same location is showing a last-mod time about 20 minutes earlier than GameClient.exe.

I suppose they could have installed it with the build time and not the patch time, but that takes some file system finagling that I wouldn't expect them to bother with in the patcher, and it normally requires superuser privileges, I think, to do that.

Looking at a backup on my Time Machine drive from earlier this month, though, it looks like the .exe files there also have a file mod date about a day earlier than the .hogg data files from a patch. So maybe that's normal...

I'm surprised there's nothing in any of the logs about what failed, though. There are definitely entries in some of the log files from the launch attempts today since the patch, just nothing is different from similar entries before today's patch.

I'm now wondering if the server is somehow thinking the Mac client is an illegal mod version -- I know some games try to check client consistency beyond a simple version number check to try to stop cheaters/gold farmers/etc.

If it's something like that, at least it should be easy to fix....

UPDATE: after looking at the logs some more (in transgaming/c_drive/StarTrekOnline/pcl.log), it looks like the patcher might have failed to make one required patch:
    HTTP patching failed for data/texture_library/UI/Icons/Item_Icons/Item_Datarecorder_Leeta_Mirror.wtex: bytes_xferred < 0 from safeRecv in bsdProcessPackets(0:No error)

I would assume this got fixed up later, since force-verifying the files doesn't seem to report any problems or provoke any new patching.
    Post edited by iathor on
  • Options
    dustphoenixdustphoenix Member Posts: 15 Arc User
    iathor wrote: »
    mectesh wrote: »
    As for the other post re: OS X client using a different patching server, that might make sense if the game clients don't otherwise self-identify by platform so that the server knows what to provide.
    I just watched the game launch with netstat, and the patch server's name appears to be macpatch.startrekonline.com (IP address 208.95.185.62) rather than what I've seen listed for the PC: patchserver.crypticstudios.com (208.95.185.41). The Mac launcher pretty much has to be using a separate update mechanism, since it has to patch the Transgaming stuff as well as the STO client and the Mac STO launcher.

I assume that's one reason we don't get pushed to use the Arc launcher (the other being that there are no other Mac-ported Arc games, so a multi-game launcher serves no useful purpose).

Well my patchlog says:

Using HTTP patching: server level3.stohttppatch.crypticstudios.com port 80 prefix Startrek
  • Options
    andarragh21andarragh21 Member Posts: 14 Arc User
    iathor wrote: »
    I'm now wondering if the server is somehow thinking the Mac client is an illegal mod version -- I know some games try to check client consistency beyond a simple version number check to try to stop cheaters/gold farmers/etc.

That last one makes the most sense to me.
  • Options
    elostralelostral Member Posts: 2 Arc User
    Can not log in on iMac 10.9.4, Nvidia graphics... watching Star Trek Renegades to pass the time. Interesting
  • Options
    iathoriathor Member Posts: 71 Arc User
    Well my patchlog says:

Using HTTP patching: server level3.stohttppatch.crypticstudios.com port 80 prefix Startrek

Yeah, I see that too. That seems to be a CDN node run by Level3, which is probably serving the actual patch content -- that makes sense given the load they have to serve on a major release.

But the initial connection the launcher makes is to a Cryptic-hosted server (in Boston, I think). That's the one I was looking at. Presumably that server directs the patcher to download the actual patch content from the CDN. That initial server seems to be different for the Mac and PC launchers.

It's interesting that I can't find any changes to the launcher part of the Mac app; none of those files seems to have changed recently except log files. Only the main game client files (in c_drive/StarTrekOnline/Star Trek Online/Live/) seem to have been updated in the patch. So it looks like the failure must be happening just as the launcher tries to start the actual client, or maybe right after the actual client starts up, since nothing before that point should be different. Again, it makes me wonder if the launcher is trying to validate the client app with the server and getting told it's invalid -- the error is being reported in the launcher, after all.
  • Options
    lttiernylttierny Member Posts: 22 Arc User
    hope they fix it
    or im going to have to go back to playing sto through wineserver which is huge pain

i play on 2011 macbook pro with upgraded 10gb ram i play on med graphics and it runs fine though when i log in i have to quickly change graphic settings then change back, or everything is invisible
    Space The Final Frontier These are the.. .You know what, scratch that, we are just making this up as we go...
  • Options
    lttiernylttierny Member Posts: 22 Arc User
    restoring backup of sto from wine... all freekin 21gb of it urrrg plus then i still have to patch it
    they really have to fix the mac one!! 21+gb just to play untill they fix it
    Space The Final Frontier These are the.. .You know what, scratch that, we are just making this up as we go...
  • Options
    hollymatthollymatt Member Posts: 7 Arc User
    sigh... me too. there goes all our cool free stuff. damn!
  • Options
    dandyludandylu Member Posts: 14 Arc User
    marvelmite wrote: »
    sf911 wrote: »
    Apparently its being looked at:

Hoping for a quick fix. Fingers crossed.

Fingers crossed indeed!

Its been almost 8 hours. This is absolutely outrageous! Things better change, or they're going to get a phone call, and its not going to be a nice one.
  • Options
    bwwpwstobwwpwsto Member Posts: 3 Arc User
    Also have the issue on 2012 27" iMac
  • Options
    psycoticvulcanpsycoticvulcan Member Posts: 4,160 Arc User
    Adding my name to the list of users affected. I'm in Ontario, if that helps.
    NJ9oXSO.png
    "Critics who say that the optimistic utopia Star Trek depicted is now outmoded forget the cultural context that gave birth to it: Star Trek was not a manifestation of optimism when optimism was easy. Star Trek declared a hope for a future that nobody stuck in the present could believe in. For all our struggles today, we haven’t outgrown the need for stories like Star Trek. We need tales of optimism, of heroes, of courage and goodness now as much as we’ve ever needed them."
    -Thomas Marrone
  • Options
    nubrain01nubrain01 Member Posts: 2 Arc User
    I'm having a simlar problem only I'm not getting an error message at all and unlike a lot of other people here I'm on th PC client not the mac one when I click the engage button the game just shuts down and I'm given the option to send an error report which i have done.
  • Options
    idntwannasignidntwannasign Member Posts: 15 Arc User
    Yup have the same problems .... after spending almost 700$'s in game.. i really expect better support and decent testing before they launch a new season.. You are supposed to get quality checks done you cant just make something and throw it in expecting it to work!!. A problem like mac client not working for everyone would not be rocket science.. had they tested this patch earlier they would have known it isnt exactly a rare bug if not a single mac client works!
  • Options
    whatthephloxwhatthephlox Member Posts: 35 Arc User
    This is such a bust... First, thanks to everyone who has done some investigating into this issue. I have a pretty bad feeling about this one. I hope I'm wrong, but the fact that its been 12 hours and there has only been one weak TRIBBLE twitter post about this makes it pretty obvious to me. Almost no communication from trendy or the team makes it seem like this isn't even a priority ;-;
  • Options
    psycoticvulcanpsycoticvulcan Member Posts: 4,160 Arc User
    A significant fraction of the players unable to log in the day of their new update? I can't imagine why it wouldn't be a priority.
    NJ9oXSO.png
    "Critics who say that the optimistic utopia Star Trek depicted is now outmoded forget the cultural context that gave birth to it: Star Trek was not a manifestation of optimism when optimism was easy. Star Trek declared a hope for a future that nobody stuck in the present could believe in. For all our struggles today, we haven’t outgrown the need for stories like Star Trek. We need tales of optimism, of heroes, of courage and goodness now as much as we’ve ever needed them."
    -Thomas Marrone
  • Options
    northstar121403northstar121403 Member Posts: 46 Arc User
    Wow...this is driving me nuts. I couldn't get on tribble the whole time that they were testing S11 because of "File not found" and now I am one of the growing legion of Mac users who can't get on holodeck with the "Success" message. Why do I feel like my 5 years of playing this game is about to go down the drain. smh
    Making Borg go *BOOM* since May 2010

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    mrtoveymrtovey Member Posts: 42 Arc User
    This is now a joke... no update for 6+ hours... looks like mac users are being dropped... I don't expect a quick fix but as a paying customer I do expect to be fully kept in the loop with regular updates it's not that error that's annoying me it's how we are being communicated with...
  • Options
    revanindustriesrevanindustries Member Posts: 508 Arc User
    Adding my name to the list of players unable to get in using the game client on a Mac. A real shame too as I have none of the ships being offered :neutral: I hope something is done for us who weren't able to get in because of this problem.
  • Options
    tommyparadisetommyparadise Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    And my name. Very disappointing that this issue wasn't resolved in testing.
  • Options
    kusterskusters Member Posts: 10 Arc User
    Me too! Hope we're not going to miss out on all of the cool stuff... :-/
  • Options
    warpaint21warpaint21 Member Posts: 62 Arc User
    edited October 2015
    Here's hoping for an extension for the 3 C-Store ships. Looks like I'm getting to bed early tonight.
  • Options
    pupibirdpupibird Member Posts: 128 Arc User
    Same problem here! But as my love for this game has died years ago I do not really rage, nor do I wonder...I can only suggest patience and also do what I did: Spend some money on other games! Again no money for PWE cause of bad work! The free giveaways? Keep 'em where the sun don't shine! :D:D:D
  • Options
    bojmorianbojmorian Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    Welp I'm getting the same issues as everyone else. Sucks cause I really wanted those free ships too.