What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Star Trek Online: New Dawn! - Launch Day Guide

primar13primar13 Member Posts: 1,896 Bug Hunter
xutWjTi.png

Star Trek Online: New Dawn
Launch Day Guide

Hello Everyone,

I assume everyone here was around for the launch of Delta Rising and knows what a season launch day is like, but if not here is the basic rundown. It’s like any other patch day, except it takes longer and the server isn't guaranteed to turn back on immediately... :D
So, here are a few tips to help speed up the process and make your day go faster and be more enjoyable.

• Patch Tribble Ahead of Time
    • When Holodeck patches the game, the STO launcher is hardcoded to borrow files from your Tribble install whenever it can to cut down on bandwidth.
    • Pre-Patching has been enabled for the last week or so to help with patching times as well. So when you quit out of STO, it should start patching files ahead of time.
    • Patched Size is not the same as Downloaded Size. https://twitter.com/Tumerboy/status/519511663154716672/photo/1
  • Play the New Dawn Featured Episode!
    • We will be getting at least one new episode. It Features the voice talents of Kipleigh Brown who appeared in an episode of Enterprise.
    • This Mission begins at Deep Space Nine! You will need to manually fly there as the Transwarp function will take you to the system where most of the story takes place, which is your second Stop after DS9
    • You Can read more about it in this Dev Blog!
    • Although the Devs have put an immense amount of work into these Episodes, due to the fact that this is a game and there are a million possible play scenarios and they cannot possibly predict them all, it is likely that something may go wrong.
    • If something does break please don't come on the Forums and start up Rage and Flame Threads. Please do go post a response to the bug thread in a professional and concise manner. There will probably already be a thread going. Do not start your own.. Find one that is already up and reply to that one.
      • Please post in the Gameplay Bug Report Section HERE
  • Play the revamped Cardassian Episodes, and Enjoy Them as well!
    • With the release of New Dawn we are seeing the revamped Cardassian Struggle Arc. There are four new Episodes replacing what we had before. They include new maps and a great new story They are as follows:
    • The Final few Episodes, otherwise known as the The 2800 Series are unaffected.
    • Although the Devs have put an immense amount of work into these Episodes, due to the fact that this is a game and there are a million possible play scenarios and they cannot possibly predict them all, it is likely that something may go wrong.
    • If something does break please don't come on the Forums and start up Rage and Flame Threads. Please do go post a response to the bug thread in a professional and concise manner. There will probably already be a thread going. Do not start your own.. Find one that is already up and reply to that one.
  • Enjoy the updated Level Curve in the Later Missions!
    • To better allow players access to the later episodes of the Delta Rising and Iconian War Storylines the minimum requirements of the Missions in these arcs have been lowered to allow an easier progression through these missions and onward to New Dawn.
    • With this update the Minimum requirements for the Kobali Battlezone will be reduced as well!
    • You can read more information about this in this Dev Blog
  • Be nice to the other players in the queues
    • Tomorrow we get Two new Queues. 99% of the People here have not played them, and 99.99999% have not gotten the optionals.
    • Please behave and be nice to anyone that you are auto teamed with. Odds are they are just trying missions out for the first time and will need help in order to complete the optionals.
    • If you are that worried about completing the optional, create a Private Match, and run with your friends. Please help keep our community a positive and welcoming environment...
    • The Official Feedback Thread for Counterpoint
    • The Official Feedback Thread for Assault on Terok Nor
  • Don’t get lost in the Badlands!
    • With Season 11 comes the new Badlands Battlezone where you fight the attacking terran forces within the confines of the Badlands in the Alpha Quadrant.
    • This is a new zone for Players who are level 60. This can be Accessed via Sector Space
    • Read more about it here: Dev Blog
    • Please be Kind to those in the new zone as everyone will be learning and we all learn at different paces.
    • Ensure to provide what you did and what you could not do with what you expected to do.
      • Please look for any other threads pertaining to this issue. Especially an "Official Feedback" Type Thread if there is one. Always comment to an existing thread first before creating a new one so that Devs and other players can find any information passed down about fixes in one place.
  • Enjoy the new Terran Task Force Reputation
    • With the launch of New Dawn, the forces of the Terran Empire has decided that it is time to attack the prime universe and claim it for themselves.
    • This takes place in the revamped Cardassian Arc, and the new PvE Queues and Battlezone
    • These new zones reward Terran Marks and Terran Gravimetric Inducers These items can be used within the Reputation System to level up and Purchase Kit Modules and other awesome Gear!
    • You can read more about the Terran Task Force Reputation in this Dev Blog
  • With great power comes great piles of Paperwork!
    • With the launch of New Dawn, Admirals who are at least level 52 will now have access to a new system within Star Trek Online. The Admiralty System!
    • The Admiralty system is a new system to help provide Admirals with a supplemental source of XP and other rewards to aid in progression through Star Trek Online.
    • With this new system you will be able to send your unused Starships out on patrol to help with incidents for both the United Federation of Planets and the Klingon Empire
    • To Get Started with the System, open the Doff Window and Choose Admiralty.
      • This will open the Admiralty System and provide you with an initial complement of Starships. (Those currently in your Ship Roster)
      • Make sure to Cycle through and claim all the ships you have available to you from the C-Store and Past Rewards, make sure to open the Admiralty system to be rewarded the Card for that specific Ship. You MUST open the Admiralty System to be rewarded the Ship Card.
      • You can read more about the Admiralty System in this Dev Blog
  • Don't be surprised if the server goes down.
    • Legacy of Romulus caused the server to go down and up and down for a total of around 14 hours before they finally got the issues resolved.
    • There were also slight server hiccups on Launch Day of Delta Rising.
    • With the return of the Exploration Theme and new story content we all hope to see an influx of new and old players and that can be taxing for the game hardware.

• You may have to wait in line to Login
    • If the server reaches capacity the server will automatically activate a Queue system
    • This system will be first come first serve, with Paid Subscribers being moved higher in the List.
    • This system has been activated during past Season Launches.
  • Foundry Missions and the Foundry Editor will probably be down for a while.
    • This is normal, don't freak out.
    • The Foundry missions will be available as soon as an automatic republishing is complete
    • The Editor will be updated with the new code branch and is usually available once the republishing completes and the system is checked for game breaking issues.
    • When the Foundry is reactivated, the Review and Rating system will be disabled so authors can fix missions - you can still send an in-game email to the author to report bugs, this will help them get this fixed (remember to be civil, bugs could be related to the update and might not have been there before!).
    • If you find an issue with an mission and reviews are not enabled, please be patient and PM the Author in game. Or Add the in-game Channel "FoundryTalk" and Ask there. Someone will know.
    • If you find a Featured Episode that is broken alert the Author
    • If you are an author of Featured Episode and your Mission Start point was moved and you need to make changes, you will need to contact pwlaughingtrendy, via PM on the forums - Your mission will need to be Un-Featured so you can fix it and later once fixed it can be Featured again by talking to pwlaughingtrendy.
  • Report Bugs, but be civilized and Smart About it
    • Visit the Bug Report Section that best fits the Problem, Gameplay, Video, Audio
      • Gameplay Bug Report Section HERE
      • Graphical and Sound Bug Report Section HERE
      • PC and Networking Bug Report Section HERE
      • Problems with the hardware can drastically vary from computer to computer. As personal computer setups are extremely variable, please be aware that they are often dealt with by the Devs and communication back from the engineers regarding hardware setup issues is rare - they have to find the issue before fixing it and there is not always and ETA to restoration

• Read through the first 5 pages of reports looking for a thread about your problem before starting a new thread.
    • If you do make a duplicate Thread, don't be surprised if it's moved.
    • There is a NECRO RULE on the Forums, If a thread is older than 30 Days, you cannot post in it. This is based off the last post
    • New Forum Accounts cannot always create new threads. Please look for a thread that matches your problem, If you cannot find one, please do not hijack another thread by posting your issue there. This helps keep issue threads organized and all relevant information present.
    • Be very concise and detailed in your report, include screenshots if you can You can Host and Link Images from Imgur
    • Try and Give Step by Step instructions on what you did to experience the issue and how it can be reproduced.

I hope this Helps and Makes everyone's day go by smoothly, and remember if it all goes Boom! #ItsAllMarcosFault

Marco
Post edited by primar13 on

Comments

• gulberatgulberat Member Posts: 5,505 Arc User
    One quick question...I haven't seen a mention thus far of a new Exploration System. Could you link me to the blog or other place where that officially happened?

Otherwise, well written. :)

Christian Gaming Community Fleets--Faith, Fun, and Fellowship! See the website and PM for more. :-)
    Proudly F2P.  Signature image by gulberat. Avatar image by balsavor.deviantart.com.
  • avantgarde01avantgarde01 Member Posts: 273 Arc User
    gulberat wrote: »
    One quick question...I haven't seen a mention thus far of a new Exploration System. Could you link me to the blog or other place where that officially happened?

Ditto for me. Would love to read that.

• primar13primar13 Member Posts: 1,896 Bug Hunter
    edited October 2015
    gulberat wrote: »

Otherwise, well written. :)

It was missing a word. Sorry it was supposed to say with the return of the Exploration Theme...

Exploration is the theme of New Dawn according to the STLV panel. :smile:
  • nikephorusnikephorus Member Posts: 2,744 Arc User
    Lol... Exploration theme? Exploration with no actual exploration.
    Tza0PEl.png
  • kazabokkazabok Member Posts: 230 Arc User
    The exploration system didn't make it. Maybe we'll see it in a later season.
  • semalda226semalda226 Member Posts: 1,994 Arc User
    I don't see how hard it could be to implement a random quest / map generator for the game but maybe in a mmo it's a royal pain in the TRIBBLE...
    tumblr_mxl2nyOKII1rizambo1_500.png

• xaracrimsonxaracrimson Member Posts: 31 Arc User
    edited October 2015
    We can likely expect an exploration system at a later date. For now, the featured episodes will make up a brand new story about exploration and adventure, undoubtedly introducing brand new rewards.
  • nikephorusnikephorus Member Posts: 2,744 Arc User
    I doubt we will ever see any meaningful exploration.
    Tza0PEl.png
  • ltminnsltminns Member Posts: 12,569 Arc User
    I believe you mean if the last post in a Thread is over thirty days old you cannot post in it and not if the Thread itself is over thirty days old.
    'But to be logical is not to be right', and 'nothing' on God's earth could ever 'make it' right!'
    Judge Dan Haywood
    'As l speak now, the words are forming in my head.
    l don't know.
    l really don't know what l'm about to say, except l have a feeling about it.
    That l must repeat the words that come without my knowledge.'
    Lt. Philip J. Minns
  • mathcubemathcube Member Posts: 28 Arc User
    semalda226 wrote: »
    I don't see how hard it could be to implement a random quest / map generator for the game but maybe in a mmo it's a royal pain in the TRIBBLE...

I'm guessing you never got to experience the old exploration system they had.
  • xaracrimsonxaracrimson Member Posts: 31 Arc User
    edited October 2015

This existed in that exact form in the first year, it was horrible.

You had three sets of missions:
    • Five rooms, with mobs in them and four terminals. You had to kill the mobs to active the terminals with a small nonsense story of how the terminal held T'kon or Iconian data. The last room held a boss. The mobs were a random theme, one of five or so random alien races, dominion with a changeling boss, klingons, romulans, etc.
    • Five areas in a forest, sometimes with trees, sometimes huge mushrooms with mobs patrolling, you had to access four strange plants/geyses/rocks/energy lifeform and you got a small nonsense story about how the object was life but not as we know it.
    • Scan a few energy patterns (like the gas/duranium anomalies today) and fight off random species ships.

Later, it loaded foundry missions. Sometimes it was a real mission, sometimes it was a joke.

• primar13primar13 Member Posts: 1,896 Bug Hunter
    ltminns wrote: »
    I believe you mean if the last post in a Thread is over thirty days old you cannot post in it and not if the Thread itself is over thirty days old.

Yup!
  • ddesjardinsddesjardins Member Posts: 3,056 Media Corps
    Nice work sir!
  • jodarkriderjodarkrider Member Posts: 2,097 Arc User
    Well put. :3
    [10:20] Your Lunge deals 4798 (2580) Physical Damage(Critical) to Tosk of Borg.

Star Trek Online Volunteer Community Moderator
    "bIghojchugh DaneH, Dumev pagh. bIghojqangbe'chugh, DuQaHlaH pagh."
    "Learn lots. Don't judge. Laugh for no reason. Be nice. Seek happiness." ~Day[9] 
    "Your fun isn't wrong." ~LaughingTrendy

Find me on Twitterverse - @jodarkrider

• turbomagnusturbomagnus Member Posts: 3,479 Arc User

• Five rooms, with mobs in them and four terminals. You had to kill the mobs to active the terminals with a small nonsense story of how the terminal held T'kon or Iconian data. The last room held a boss. The mobs were a random theme, one of five or so random alien races, dominion with a changeling boss, klingons, romulans, etc.
    • Five areas in a forest, sometimes with trees, sometimes huge mushrooms with mobs patrolling, you had to access four strange plants/geyses/rocks/energy lifeform and you got a small nonsense story about how the object was life but not as we know it.
    • Scan a few energy patterns (like the gas/duranium anomalies today) and fight off random species ships.

Later, it loaded foundry missions. Sometimes it was a real mission, sometimes it was a joke.

And don't forget the worst part, because it used a 'Fill In The Blank' system to combine those three mission outlines with NPC races in the game, it was entirely possible to get an exploration mission that had 'stories' that made absolutely no sense whatsoever, such as a mission to "Scan Five Strange Rocks" only to discover that they're graves from the 'Third Borg Dynasty'.
    "If you can't take a little bloody nose, maybe you ought to go back home and crawl under your bed. It's not safe out here. It's wondrous, with treasures to satiate desires both subtle and gross; but it's not for the timid." -- Q, TNG: "Q-Who?"
    ^Words that every player should keep in mind, especially whenever there's a problem with the game...
  • medalionemissarymedalionemissary Member Posts: 612 Arc User
    I wanna +1 that great OP, great job man
    Deep Space Nine in HD, make it so!
  • rattler2rattler2 Member Posts: 57,973 Community Moderator

And don't forget the worst part, because it used a 'Fill In The Blank' system to combine those three mission outlines with NPC races in the game, it was entirely possible to get an exploration mission that had 'stories' that made absolutely no sense whatsoever, such as a mission to "Scan Five Strange Rocks" only to discover that they're graves from the 'Third Borg Dynasty'.

LOL I remember the Third Borg Dynasty. And don't forget sometimes you ended up with mobs spawning UNDER the map that could still shoot you but you couldn't shoot them back.
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
  • markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User

Or scan five plants that LOOK like rocks... Later iterations made it a bit better as they added some that were different, at least in theme if not practical execution. Some of the space combat missions had the enemies arrive in waves instead of showing up at the start, then there was a ground mission where the player had to stop a Gorgan invasion.... which ended up the same as scanning five energy clouds. But it at least had a cool theme.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
  • waldotrekwaldotrek Member Posts: 318 Arc User
    Thanks for this handy almost pocket sized guide.
    Former Moderator 10-28-16
  • lingeringsoul888lingeringsoul888 Member Posts: 509 Arc User
    So are they going to have all these story arc episodes? or are they continuing with the 1 episode a month thing? I would REALLY like to have some new stories to play with.
    They're putting in the revamped Cardassian missions, and we're probably going to have the monthly episode for the New Dawn arc.
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
  • lingeringsoul888lingeringsoul888 Member Posts: 509 Arc User
    Well that's disappointing, I thought they were going to have another pre made story arc like the delta episode.
    They don't do that unless its a full on expansion. This is just a season update. Large update, but nowhere near expansion level.
  • vivenneanthonyvivenneanthony Member Posts: 1,278 Arc User
    So, referred as exploration isn't exploration at all unless it's the admirality system. Hmmm. I'll pass but definitely like the freebies till Dawn.

• vivenneanthonyvivenneanthony Member Posts: 1,278 Arc User
    So are they going to have all these story arc episodes? or are they continuing with the 1 episode a month thing? I would REALLY like to have some new stories to play with.

I don't know. I'll play a new mission after the whole Iconian story arc if there is a specialization point or trait for a character only once or twice. Anything before I don't play although I can get 32k skill point. :-/
  • delerouxdeleroux Member Posts: 478 Arc User
    TL;DR

Play the game like any other day, just with the newer STFs, missions, and battlezones which won't be much different from the previous STFs, missions, and battlezones.

Also, more doffing.
  • patrickstewpatrickstew Member Posts: 6 Arc User
    Excellent advice, sir!
    =^.^=
    Sphynx, aka Jeb, aka Simon Taylor, aka Zzorch
  • kodachikunokodachikuno Member Posts: 6,020 Arc User1
    primar13 wrote: »
    [*]Don't be surprised if the server goes down.
    • Legacy of Romulus caused the server to go down and up and down for a total of around 14 hours before they finally got the issues resolved.
    • There were also slight server hiccups on Launch Day of Delta Rising.
    • With the return of the Exploration Theme and new story content we all hope to see an influx of new and old players and that can be taxing for the game hardware.

[*]You may have to wait in line to Login
    • If the server reaches capacity the server will automatically activate a Queue system
    • This system will be first come first serve, with Paid Subscribers being moved higher in the List.
    • This system has been activated during past Season Launches.

Honestly, imo, these 2 need to be at the top and slightly larger so they're harder to miss.... but great guide other than that
  • peterconnorfirstpeterconnorfirst Member Posts: 6,225 Arc User
    deleroux wrote: »
    TL;DR

Play the game like any other day, just with the newer STFs, missions, and battlezones which won't be much different from the previous STFs, missions, and battlezones.

Also, more doffing.

Nice sum up. :)
    animated.gif
    Looking for a fun PvE fleet? Join us at Omega Combat Division today.
    felisean wrote: »
    teamwork to reach a goal is awesome and highly appreciated
  • jbmonroejbmonroe Member Posts: 809 Arc User
    I could get used to this sort of thing. Great job!
    boldly-watched.png