test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Dry Docking Is Coming!

Comments

• turbomagnusturbomagnus Member Posts: 3,479 Arc User
    Yeah, shuttles... Like the Type 10 that once you claim it, that's it, you can't replace it if you dismiss it (and you can't claim the full DS9 Pack if you've already claimed the DOffs and Weapons pack on a character, meaning that if you do that you don't get the shuttle)...
    "If you can't take a little bloody nose, maybe you ought to go back home and crawl under your bed. It's not safe out here. It's wondrous, with treasures to satiate desires both subtle and gross; but it's not for the timid." -- Q, TNG: "Q-Who?"
    ^Words that every player should keep in mind, especially whenever there's a problem with the game...
  • stobg2015stobg2015 Member Posts: 800 Arc User
    Players: "I don't have enough bank/inventory slots for the equipment that will come off my ships if I put them in Drydock."
    Cryptic: "Here, have twelve free inventory slots per character."

Yeah, that was a nice touch. Won't help somebody who has to dry dock a bunch of ships all at once and has nowhere to put the gear ... won't accommodate the amount of gear off the average T5/T6 ship... but still appreciated. Will help with layout swaps, too.
    (The Guy Formerly And Still Known As Bluegeek)
  • bobbydazlersbobbydazlers Member Posts: 4,534 Arc User
    edited October 2015
    So, stupid question time

Does this mean that for setting up in the admiralty system, I'd open a current boxed ship (for example) make a "card" for the admiratly system then instead of decommissioning it from my roster to make space, I can just drydock it instead?

as far as I can tell once you have your ship card it is permanent regardless of what you do with the ship, keep it discard it or dry dock makes no difference.

where the dry dock will be most handy IMO is for keeping ships that you cant reclaim once discarded but don't want to keep active like lockbox ships for example.

apparently i have read that starship mastery is unaffected by discarding and reclaiming ships so anything that can be reclaimed might as well be discarded as put in drydock.

at the end of the day drydock is just a good way of giving you more ship slots without giving you any more actual ship slots.

be advised you may need to keep one ship slot or one drydock slot free as you may not be able to do a strait swap between the two so you may need to free up a space to take a ship from drydock or vice versa.
    Post edited by bobbydazlers on

When I think about everything we've been through together,

maybe it's not the destination that matters, maybe it's the journey,

and if that journey takes a little longer,

so we can do something we all believe in,

I can't think of any place I'd rather be or any people I'd rather be with.

• thelunarboythelunarboy Member Posts: 412 Arc User
    I normally strip my ships as I transfer anyway... however when rumours of the admiralty system began to surface (before the details), I started building them back up just in case it became relevant to do so. Now I'm in a similar boat to everyone else.
  • trillbuffettrillbuffet Member Posts: 861 Arc User
    I am not saying this to be negative but this system for long long time veterans will fatally kill their storage management. I'll just describe how it works for me personally. I consider the top 3 characters from each faction my mains and that being said they pretty much have all of the top stuff that comes out over the years and with storage being a vital issue with how items are pushed out. All of the said ships and sometimes even the alts I have there is no room in bank to storage ship gear so all these ships could never enter the dry dock.

Although I think they have written off the LTS or veteran players because there wasn't much thought or emphasis on how this would affect us. Most likely besides S11 being cut and paste of old fleet actions and undine rep stuff I gotta pass on this new season.
  • thelunarboythelunarboy Member Posts: 412 Arc User
    Although I think they have written off the LTS or veteran players because there wasn't much thought or emphasis on how this would affect us. Most likely besides S11 being cut and paste of old fleet actions and undine rep stuff I gotta pass on this new season.

I don't think that's entirely fair...

From the announcement:
    All players will have access to a handful of Dry Docking slots upon the feature’s release, and Gold Subscribers will automatically be granted access to many more. All players will also have the option to purchase additional Dry Dock slots as needed.

Now I guess that depends on what "many" actually translates to.

Admittedly all the drydock slots in the world won't help you if you have lots of ships with lots of gear, so you may have a point there.

My plan is to use zen ships I have bought on alts over time in spare ship slots... and then decommission them just so I can get the card for all the toons.
  • mustrumridcully0mustrumridcully0 Member Posts: 12,963 Arc User
    edited October 2015
    I am not saying this to be negative but this system for long long time veterans will fatally kill their storage management. I'll just describe how it works for me personally. I consider the top 3 characters from each faction my mains and that being said they pretty much have all of the top stuff that comes out over the years and with storage being a vital issue with how items are pushed out. All of the said ships and sometimes even the alts I have there is no room in bank to storage ship gear so all these ships could never enter the dry dock.

I am not sure if that is in some way unclear - you don't have to use the drydock. It's basically a form of extra inventory space devoted to a particular type of equipment - ships.

If all your inventories are full and your slotted ships serve as extra inventory space, then it won't help you. But it won't hurt you either. But if you just got a single ship slot still available to you, this system means you could claim ships and put them immediately into drydock, giving you an admiralty card for them and possibly clearing up inventory space if the ship came in a non-reclaimable boxed format.
    Star Trek Online Advancement: You start with lowbie gear, you end with Lobi gear.
  • furlong359furlong359 Member Posts: 144 Arc User
    haha dry docking, thats what she said
  • thlaylierahthlaylierah Member Posts: 2,983 Arc User
    Yeah, shuttles... Like the Type 10 that once you claim it, that's it, you can't replace it if you dismiss it (and you can't claim the full DS9 Pack if you've already claimed the DOffs and Weapons pack on a character, meaning that if you do that you don't get the shuttle)...

Try reclaiming it in Space.

It worked for me. :)
  • sqwishedsqwished Member Posts: 1,475 Bug Hunter
    All players will have access to a handful of Dry Docking slots upon the feature’s release, and Gold Subscribers will automatically be granted access to many more. All players will also have the option to purchase additional Dry Dock slots as needed.

I don't know if this has been asked before, so I'll ask regardless, As a current Gold subscriber any additional dry dock slots I gain as part of the gold perk package, would I lose them if I were to revert back to a Silver account at any point in the future?​​
    Oh, it's not broken? We can soon fix that!

• khamseenairkhamseenair Member Posts: 2,640 Bug Hunter
    edited October 2015
    sqwished wrote: »

I don't know if this has been asked before, so I'll ask regardless, As a current Gold subscriber any additional dry dock slots I gain as part of the gold perk package, would I lose them if I were to revert back to a Silver account at any point in the future?

I don't think that's been asked in direct relation to the dry dock system, however I would presume not. With all other gold perks (save for the monthly stipend) any perks gained during a subscription, remain after the subscription ends. My friend usually takes out a sub when he's levelling a new toon so he gets the extra ship slots and bank/inventory space etc, then lets it lapse after he hits level cap. So I would assume that so long as you have a gold account when you gain access to the dry dock, you'd keep any extra unlocked slots even if your subscription ends.
    ​​
    Join date is wrong, I've actually been around since STO Beta.
    True alters don't have a "main". Account wide unlocks for all unique event rewards!!
  • eradicator84eradicator84 Member Posts: 1,116 Arc User
    edited October 2015
    What happens to a ship that has extra loadout slots applied to it?
    When pulled back out of dry dock are the extra loadout slots still applied to that ship or do they get returned to your pool of unused loadout slots when put in to dry dock, or are they lost forever?
    AFMJGUR.jpg
  • rtk142rtk142 Member Posts: 613 Arc User
    "Well played, Clerks. Well played, indeed..."

Is that a reference to the Clerks Animated Series? Someone other than me has seen it?
    bridges.jpg
    Let us upgrade the Seleya Ceremonial Lirpa and Kri'stak Blade
  • turbomagnusturbomagnus Member Posts: 3,479 Arc User
    rtk142 wrote: »
    "Well played, Clerks. Well played, indeed..."

Is that a reference to the Clerks Animated Series? Someone other than me has seen it?

Yes on both counts.
    "If you can't take a little bloody nose, maybe you ought to go back home and crawl under your bed. It's not safe out here. It's wondrous, with treasures to satiate desires both subtle and gross; but it's not for the timid." -- Q, TNG: "Q-Who?"
    ^Words that every player should keep in mind, especially whenever there's a problem with the game...
  • darimunddarimund Member Posts: 318 Arc User
    don't expect to see drydock become available until cryptic is satisfied that they've sold enough extra ship slots to accommodate the admiralty system.
  • sevenofnine13141sevenofnine13141 Member Posts: 4,272 Arc User
    @darimund Uh.... The Drydock System is for us to save spots for ships that we don't use on a long term basis, and Drydocked ships are still counted as Admiralty cards from what I can tell.
    | State of the Federation |
    The German Empire
    Founded 2413
    Leader: S. Raneson
    de_pr2.gif
  • sheldonlcoopersheldonlcooper Member Posts: 4,042 Arc User
    so uhh where is drydock?
    Captain Jean-Luc Picard: "We think we've come so far. Torture of heretics, burning of witches, it's all ancient history. Then - before you can blink an eye - suddenly it threatens to start all over again."

"With the first link, the chain is forged. The first speech censured, the first thought forbidden, the first freedom denied, chains us all irrevocably."

... Drydock is not releasing IMMEDIATELY on the day of Season 11. Sometime afterwards, apparently.
    The German Empire
    Founded 2413
    de_pr2.gif
  • mayito2009mayito2009 Member Posts: 643 Arc User
    No Drydocks???? Well, more time to invest in other new areas of the game.
    Seek and ye shall find. Ask and ye shall receive. Rabboni
    Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety" (Benjamin Franklin).

Most unexpectedly, this turned into a flame-fest! Closed it goes!. /sigh What flamefestery is this? pwlaughingtrendy
  • darimunddarimund Member Posts: 318 Arc User
    again, dont expect to see it until cryptic is satisfied with the sale of ship slots.
    darimund wrote: »
    again, dont expect to see it until cryptic is satisfied with the sale of ship slots.

You seem so sure. They may have simply not gotten enough time to implement the Drydocking in time for Season 11. It will come real sooner then you think.
    The German Empire
    Founded 2413
    de_pr2.gif
  • mayito2009mayito2009 Member Posts: 643 Arc User
    Hopefully soon, I really like the idea.
    Seek and ye shall find. Ask and ye shall receive. Rabboni
    Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety" (Benjamin Franklin).

Most unexpectedly, this turned into a flame-fest! Closed it goes!. /sigh What flamefestery is this? pwlaughingtrendy
  • mustrumridcully0mustrumridcully0 Member Posts: 12,963 Arc User
    Are we there yet? :)
    Star Trek Online Advancement: You start with lowbie gear, you end with Lobi gear.
  • lan451lan451 Member Posts: 3,386 Arc User
    Might have been better to hold off on releasing this blog. Seeing a whole lot of confusion from people in game looking for this. Coming across so many people who thought this was a S11 launch feature. I think the timing was off and probably should have been announced after Season 11 had launched and closer to when the system goes live. That's just my opinion though.
    JWZrsUV.jpg
    Mine Trap Supporter
  • sistericsisteric Member Posts: 768 Arc User
    Or at least made clear in the blog that it was coming at some point AFTER Season 11.
    Federation: Fleet Admiral Zombee (Alien Tactical)::Fleet Admiral Danic (Vulcan Science)::Fleet Admiral Daniel Kochheiser (Human Engineer)
    KDF: Dahar Master Kan (Borg Klingon Tactical)::Dahar Master Torc (Alien Science)::Dahar Master Sisteric (Gorn Engineer)
    RR-Fed: Citizen Sirroc (Romulan Science)::Fleet Admiral Grell (Alien Engineer)
    RR-KDF: Fleet Admiral Zemo (Reman Tactical)::Fleet Admiral Xinatek (Reman Science)::Fleet Admiral Bel (Alien Engineer)
    TOS-Fed: Fleet Admiral Katem (Andorian Tactical)::Lieutenant Commander Straad (Vulcan Engineer)
    Dom-Fed: Dan'Tar (Jem'Hadar Science)
    Dom-KDF: Kamtana'Solan (Jem'Hadar Science)

CoHost of Tribbles in Ecstasy (Zombee)
  • monkeybone13monkeybone13 Member Posts: 4,640 Arc User
    edited October 2015
    lan451 wrote: »
    Might have been better to hold off on releasing this blog. Seeing a whole lot of confusion from people in game looking for this. Coming across so many people who thought this was a S11 launch feature. I think the timing was off and probably should have been announced after Season 11 had launched and closer to when the system goes live. That's just my opinion though.

I'm one of them. I was going to put some ships in dry dock since I have only 1 empty ship slot then claim c-store and event ships to have them added to the admirality system. The problem is on this character my bank is completely full and most ships in my roster are full of equipment. I wanted to move stuff to dry dock then after getting all my ships added to admirality I would take those ships out of dry dock and put the equipment back on them.

I was under the impression dry dock was coming with season 11. I just reread the dev blog and it doesn't say when it will release. I have to agree they shouldn't have released this dev blog until they had a sure date it was going to launch.

For now I'll just stick with whatever is in my ship rosters on my toons and use what it gives me for admirality.

Edit: Forgot to mention something.

As I pointed out on the test server, ships in your active roster aren't added to the admiralty system until you open the duty officer window. This is why I needed dry dock to move a few over, so I could add a few ships at a time. With 1-3 open ship slots per character it will be too time consuming to get all my ships added. :(
  • swamarianswamarian Member Posts: 1,506 Arc User
    Yeah, I just screwed over one of my characters by filling her ship inventory, expecting to move some old ships to dry dock. Oh well. It'll be nice when it arrives.
  • monkeybone13monkeybone13 Member Posts: 4,640 Arc User
    Just found that when you claim a ship from the c-store it is automatically added to admirality. It's possible having any new ships added to your active roster will do the same. Still it would be easier to move stuff over to dry dock so I'm not claiming and dismissing 1 ship at a time.
  • khamseenairkhamseenair Member Posts: 2,640 Bug Hunter
    edited October 2015
    I must admit, this blog was very misleading in it's timing. I too was under the impression this was being released with Season 11.

Just found that when you claim a ship from the c-store it is automatically added to admirality. It's possible having any new ships added to your active roster will do the same. Still it would be easier to move stuff over to dry dock so I'm not claiming and dismissing 1 ship at a time.

Yes it does appear that if you claim any new ships (even before visiting the Admiralty tab) then all ships currently in your roster will be added to the Admiralty system at that time.
    ​​
    Join date is wrong, I've actually been around since STO Beta.
    True alters don't have a "main". Account wide unlocks for all unique event rewards!!
  • ak255ak255 Member Posts: 317 Arc User
    Okay, so at first

Yeah, it makes it more convenient for us, but it's not something you need. I mean, I thought the whole point of this was because of the Admiralty system and how I thought ships you had in your ROSTER only applied to it. But now that I know I can just repurchase a C-Store ship and then dismiss it right after to just add it to my Admiralty, why would I need this? I'm only limited to a few assignments anyways, it's not like DOFFs where I can send 100s of people. Here you can only have up to 8 missions max (when unlocked) so that's 24 ships. Yeah, they get sent to Maintenance afterwards so I might not have ships available, but I would rather wait it out then spend ZEN on this feature, unless there's more to it than that.
This discussion has been closed.