test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

5 Changes to SHIP INTERIORS & Encourage Interior Packs to be sold.

strathkinstrathkin Member Posts: 2,666 Bug Hunter
edited October 2015 in Romulan Discussion
CRYPTIC we'd like to see modernized 25th Century Ship Interiors for all faction ships, with decks efficiently utilizing space regardless if small, medium or large interior. So HOW TO GENERATE REVENUE for items that hasn't sold in the past--if it's broke FIX IT! :cookie::cookie::cookie:

Flashback: "Human Error" is the 164th episode of Star Trek: Voyager Season 7--Seven customizes her quarters.

1. Players desire Interior Pack's that unlock a Bridge (Room) with 2-4 addition room variations throughout the ship--number dependant on size of rooms updated & customizations included. Initial development based on modular design would require time, yet once completed the room type identifies the room and its size, and limiting all rooms to 5 square & rectangular sizes makes it modular, easily allowing it to change dependant on a small to large interior. All rooms extend the same depth from the cooridor except except where Turbolift's, Jeffrey Tubes or Access Conduits run.

2. Because different packs unlock different bridges or rooms throughout the ship, it requires carpet/flooring/wall patterns that extend throughout a deck with universal textures & colors like SKIN/MAKEUP that integrates it to a common theme using layers--similar to what outfit tailor does. So if a new Medical Bay introduces unique floors & walls, then near exit / entrances or high traffic floor areas, the colors & texture should transition to deck uniform underlay to integrate.

3. Each Interior pack earned or purchased purchased should expand some choice of plants, paintings, furniture, aquariums/pets, instruments, artifacts, equipment, consoles to area rugs available for different room types. Do we see one Cargo Bay or three, seven crew quarters or more?

4. Allow some rooms to adjust lighting in different areas--Ready Room, Ten Forward or Research Area. Full or Reduced Lighting in one of multiple areas (white is full) just like coloring an outfit in 3-5 areas just greyscale. Allow similar rooms to exhibit unique customizations from instruments, plants, paintings, furniture, consoles or other items, it's no different that changing pockets, rank, shoulder pads, chest straps or com badge on a jacket as one room type for an officer which represents a deck.

5. Regardless of Interior size all Faction ships should have 5 standard decks: Command, Crew/Recreation, Tactical, Engineering & Science.
  • Command Deck should include a Medium Bridge, with Ready Room, and ajoining Conference Room, and no more than two Turbolifts so doors all lead to a destination. This would be like customizing your Captain at Tailor.
  • Crew/REC Deck w/ 1-2 Holodecks (interior size), Captain Quarters, Crew Quarters, 10-Forward & Hydroponics (like Rom ships).
  • Tactical Deck w/ 1-3 Hanger Bays, 1-2 Transporter Rooms, 1-3 Cargo Bays, Armory, and Brig.
  • Engineering w/ Engine Room, Computer & Deflector Control, Antigravity & Dampening Systems, and Weapons & Torpedo Room.
  • Science Deck w/ 1-3 Research Areas (interior size), Sensor Analysis, Astrometrics, Medicine & Sickbay.

Missed Opportunities to encourage more to BUY or VISIT interior:
  1. Ship Captains be allowed to used saved INTERIOR views at ship tailor with all unlocks to publish those settings as a FOUNDRY map with all customizations. In TOS, TNG, DS9, Voyager and all Movies a lot more occured on Starships with each captain making customization to interiors. Providing this would encourage foundry authors to have missions aboard various faction starships at times, while allowing them to show off their unlocked ships & interiors along with their personality to the whole community.
  2. Ship's Interior Holodecks should be able to earn fun mini tactical quests like Capture a Changling on Bajor, or unlock others during various events (Summer, Winter, Anniversary or others) like Hiking & Repelling on Risa, or Ziplining on Andoria, or let foundry design recreation programs to re-use familar maps in new ways with challenges like multiple paths, random obstacles, and reward some smaller but highly saught out rewards based on time--playable in single player or party modes.
  3. Engineering & Sickbay we should be able to go their to repair injuries to further encourage us to visit more frequently even if we can see the Doctor at ESD, Quonos or Romulan Command Center. Not to mention offering more options for DOFF missions not available in Sector Space or Ground Maps.
  4. Federation, Romulan and KDF all be given places to display trophies in ten forward, ready room and captain's quarters with new available trophies linked to accolade, missions or season completions.
  5. Have an good idea in addition to those MISSED OPPORTUNITIES above: 2-5 Game Poker in Ten Forward | wagers in GPL | Perhaps Ferengi & Risa NPC earn new rewards each anniversary. Perhaps C-Store & GPL could each buy/unlock different Room customizations! :o
0zxlclk.png
Post edited by strathkin on

Comments

• Options
    edited October 2015
    Cryptic could re-use a lot of what's been done for Officer Tailor in allowing Ships to have far more customization.
    0zxlclk.png
  • Options
    gurluasgurluas Member Posts: 464 Arc User
    edited September 2015
    To be honest, they've designed a lot of interiors, who with a little modification would be perfect.
    Example being the interiors of Hakeev's ship, who could have been used for the Tal'shiar adapted destroyer.

Also Romulan ships need trophy slots.
    Post edited by gurluas on
  • Options
    edited September 2015
    I will certainly agree with you there they could use some of the GREAT art or designs they've used for some Romulan in game missions to populate expanded Decks. We have great options for customizing our Captain & Crew at Outfit Tailor, and great graphics and functionality in the new Sector Space, but many would like to see our Faction Ship Interiors expanded and improved upon!

I'm not suggesting they start from the ground. I'd encourage them to re-use as much as they could with a slight 25th century modernization. But I love the idea of using some of the art design done around Hakeev's ship on that Romulan mission to update additional rooms on new decks.
    0zxlclk.png
  • Options
    gurluasgurluas Member Posts: 464 Arc User
    Another example is the Lleiset's interior we saw in a mission.
  • Options
    xepthrixepthri Member Posts: 56 Arc User
    edited September 2015
    You could even have an area on your ship to put all your non-combat pets on display, or where they can just roam. I.e. Zoo.

It'd be awkward to see what a cat does to a Horta but whatever, it's Star Trek.
  • Options
    Well I'm sure many others could think up other creative idea's where we could EXPAND to the list of missed opportunities above starting with #5, then #6, etc... that we could then review & forward to Cryptic or perhaps they may read if enough people post some great idea's they THINK they could make work in game...
    0zxlclk.png
  • Options
    guthrie65guthrie65 Member Posts: 31 Arc User
    edited October 2015
    I'm a bit disappointed that there was never an attempt to offer the old TOS Romulan bridge. As little as is seen of the interior of the T'liss (and, by extension, the unseen T'varo interior), Romulan interiors were very spartan, with little need for chairs on the bridge/combat info center. Old Trekkies like me may even recall Romulan Warbird deckplans that expanded on such. It was, for obvious reason, designed somewhat like the tight confines of a WWII era submarine.

This could be part of an expanded TOS Rom pack (including their variant of the old D7 acquired from the treaty with the Klingons?). As I recall, the Rom D7 interiors were rather un-Klingon like.
    Banner_zpshzeetjy7.png
  • Options
    protogothprotogoth Member Posts: 2,369 Arc User
    guthrie65 wrote: »
    I'm a bit disappointed that there was never an attempt to offer the old TOS Romulan bridge. As little as is seen of the interior of the T'liss (and, by extension, the unseen T'varo interior), Romulan interiors were very spartan, with little need for chairs on the bridge/combat info center. Old Trekkies like me may even recall Romulan Warbird deckplans that expanded on such. It was, for obvious reason, designed somewhat like the tight confines of a WWII era submarine.

This could be part of an expanded TOS Rom pack (including their variant of the old D7 acquired from the treaty with the Klingons?). As I recall, the Rom D7 interiors were rather un-Klingon like.

Romulan interiors are spartan? Have you seen "The Enterprise Incident"? The T'liss was, as you say, obviously designed to recall a submarine interior, but the flagship interior seen in TEI was anything but spartan.

Also, the "bridge" seen in TEI was at least part of the inspiration for the bridges of the original Dreadnought Warbirds (Scimitar, Tulwar, and Falchion) -- but that "bridge" looks a heck of a lot more like Auxiliary Control than a Bridge.
  • Options
    edited October 2015
    I've seen every single TOS ep multiple times since they all first aired. Yes, spartan. The D7 used later wasn't a Rom design but a reconfig. We never got to see the interior of a D7 that was still in Klingon service in TOS. If we consider the interior seen in the first movie compared to a D7 as acquired by the Roms in TOS it still reflects enough of a glaring difference to infer Romulan interior changes.

The very first ep that featured Romulans was based on a movie about hunting a U Boat (and it shows). The ship design played into the script setting. The Romulan Warbird was cramped and ... spartan. One may presume, with ease, that on board those ships you had no spacious, tall ceilings and 'ten forward' style bar lounges. The next ep featured Rom D7 models simply due to not having retained the original Rom Warbird and figuring they'll use what they had and the viewing audience wouldn't care or notice (it later made for an excuse for Klingons to have cloaking tech in the movies).

But, back to discussing my take on Roms originally being Spartan in nature and design.

Even in the ep featuring the D7, the officer on the bridge apparently had bridge officers in close proximity. Perhaps their redesign of the bridge was due to an ingrained mindset. Obviously the Commander had the privilege of making additional space aboard the surplus Klingon ship useful for entertaining the brass ... or potential Vulcan recruits she developed a thing for.
    Post edited by guthrie65 on
    Banner_zpshzeetjy7.png
  • Options
    artan42artan42 Member Posts: 10,450 Bug Hunter
    The interior of the Klingon D7 is visible in TAS as are the bridges from the Romulan version.

They're likely to be the same for both races for obvious reasons.​​
    22762792376_ac7c992b7c_o.png
    Norway and Yeager dammit... I still want my Typhoon and Jupiter though.
    JJ Trek The Kelvin Timeline is just Trek and it's fully canon... get over it. But I still prefer TAR.

#TASforSTO

'...I can tell you that we're not in the military and that we intend no harm to the whales.' Kirk: The Voyage Home
    'Starfleet is not a military organisation. Its purpose is exploration.' Picard: Peak Performance
    'This is clearly a military operation. Is that what we are now? Because I thought we were explorers!' Scotty: Into Darkness
    '...The Federation. Starfleet. We're not a military agency.' Scotty: Beyond
    'I'm not a soldier anymore. I'm an engineer.' Miles O'Brien: Empok Nor
    '...Starfleet could use you... It's a peacekeeping and humanitarian armada...' Admiral Pike: Star Trek

Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
  • Options
    The animated series? Since I didn't watch all eps of TAS, which is it? Were they the same or likely to be? Still, the D7 was brought up by protogoth as a supposed example of TOS Romulan design that wasn't spartan. It's not actually Romulan design and, at best, may only represent a restyled interior of Klingon design. I can see where TAS may not have presented a Klingon interior as it was in the movies since such was prior to the revision of the movie Klingons, altogether.

The TOS Romulan Warbird had a spartan interior with a bridge or CIC (combat information center) that even clumped displays and stations around a central standing console. As I said, I'm a bit disappointed to see the lack of effort in designing an interior reflective of the TOS series (or even beyond the single example offered in STO).
    Banner_zpshzeetjy7.png
  • Options
    Well the tiny bridge suited the tiny BoP.

The D7 appeared in 'More Tribbles, More Troubles' (Klingon interior), 'The Time Trap' (just the bridge on a screen I think), 'The Survivor' and 'The Practical Joker' both show the Romulan bridge (as well as a new Romulan paintjob on the hull).​​
    JJ Trek The Kelvin Timeline is just Trek and it's fully canon... get over it. But I still prefer TAR.

#TASforSTO

'...I can tell you that we're not in the military and that we intend no harm to the whales.' Kirk: The Voyage Home
    'Starfleet is not a military organisation. Its purpose is exploration.' Picard: Peak Performance
    'This is clearly a military operation. Is that what we are now? Because I thought we were explorers!' Scotty: Into Darkness
    '...Starfleet could use you... It's a peacekeeping and humanitarian armada...' Admiral Pike: Star Trek

• Options
    edited October 2015
    That suitable tiny bridge is not offered in STO. I am a bit disappointed.

D7s were built by the Klingons and apparently used by Romulans for a short period if time. Likely they were a stop gap toward building a fleet with either more speed, greater range or both. However, it seems that iconic ship no longer is used by current various Rom factions while the equally iconic small T'varo (with improved warp capability) serves on.

Even with modernization I don't see the current one and only Romulan bridge offered in STO as serving to believably represent what the old bridges of the T'varo and T'liss classes would be, currently. Something along the lines of the Defiant bridge might be closer (though I would hope to see something uniquely different, even then).

Besides, with the TOS Connie bridge being available for TOS fan players (like me) I'm willing to bet a TOS Rom T'liss bridge would be popular, as well. (As would a Rom D7, stop gap or not.)
    Banner_zpshzeetjy7.png
  • Options
    I'm sure the TOS Conni assets could be used to produce a halfway decent D7 bridge and interior (and a T'liss as well).​​

#TASforSTO

• Options
    edited October 2015
    I'm sure it's just as possible without such. Expression of interest from the community being taken seriously by Cryptic (for this particular request) may be more of a facilitator. That requires a lot more players on the bandwagon.

That being said, when I admit this isn't a deal breaker for me and that I find the game still quite enjoyable, as is, then that makes me a lousy squeaky wheel. ;)
    Banner_zpshzeetjy7.png
  • Options
    I posted the KEY thoughts in the Primary message to TRENDY and simply asked they read & share the idea's in the post and from others to at least create discussion or debate on the topic... Perhaps we'll never see this DREAM become a reality - but I really do believe a customizable ship interior should be considered a great VALUE ADD of having a Faction Starship. :o

Yet still I am VERY IMPRESSED with a lot of the work done by the development team and they constantly pull rabbits out of the hat in new and creative way's that just really IMPROVE the overall game play experience. Sector Space Revamp was very well done. I told Trendy to please forgive me if I'm a dreamer...
    0zxlclk.png
  • Options
    My apology for the deviation.
    Banner_zpshzeetjy7.png
  • Options
    strathkin wrote: »
    I posted the KEY thoughts in the Primary message to TRENDY and simply asked they read & share the idea's in the post and from others to at least create discussion or debate on the topic... Perhaps we'll never see this DREAM become a reality - but I really do believe a customizable ship interior should be considered a great VALUE ADD of having a Faction Starship. :o

Yet still I am VERY IMPRESSED with a lot of the work done by the development team and they constantly pull rabbits out of the hat in new and creative way's that just really IMPROVE the overall game play experience. Sector Space Revamp was very well done. I told Trendy to please forgive me if I'm a dreamer...

You may want to tag her if you want her to see this. I doubt she has time to read everything.​​

#TASforSTO

• Options
    "Human Error" is the Voyager Episode where it talks about Human's need to personalize their space. It's the episode where the Doctor removes Seven's Implants, as a result she no longer requires her regeneration alcove, and HE encourages her to get her own Quarters with Janeway's support and to personalize it. <3
    0zxlclk.png
  • Options
    devilzaphandevilzaphan Member Posts: 78 Arc User
    I see the dead horse has been dragged out again >:) . Will agree that we do need a room with trophy slots, as for interiors, lets play hangman.
    Romulan sexy time
    romulancommander1.jpg

• Options
    edited October 2015
    In the Voyager episode "TUVIX" the Doctor asks KES to take the Tuvok/Neelix Hybrid from Sick-Bay to the Research Lab we don't currently have on board. Later in the episode when Janeway decides to seperate TUVIX, she along with Security escort him from the bridge to Deck 5, where Harry and the Doctor are waiting in Sick Bay. The Doctor refuses without the patients consent, yet Janeway weighted the two lives she let die, so as a former science officer takes his place. It shouldn't have had to come to this--let TUVIXs sacrifice not be in vain. <3

I realize others in the past have asked for expanded customization, yet tried to identify new opportunities, that may see us visit more, show to friends, or the community at large. If users in Foundry could publish a saved interior as map choices with customizations unlocked for the 5 floors it opens a lot of game play options aboard Starships. Cryptic could use a similar method for missions aboard different Starships with unique interiors.

But yes I agree it would be nice for all Factions to also have Trophies in 10-Forward & Ready Room linked to accolades, mission or season completions.
    0zxlclk.png