test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Herald lockbox - No more T5s?

seriousxenoseriousxeno Member Posts: 473 Arc User
Just found the news: https://www.arcgames.com/en/games/star-trek-online/news/detail/9613373

Unless I'm blind, I cannot see anything about a blue T5 ship from this box anywhere. This would make this the first box I've ever seen that offers no uncommon ships whatsoever since the very early days. Is this a mistake or deliberate omission?

Would suck honestly, I quite liked a lot of the blue ships, especially with admiralty coming up and needing to field as many ships as possible, even if its just re-runs of old ones.
latest?cb=20090525051807&path-prefix=en
"Let them eat static!"

Comments

• turbomagnusturbomagnus Member Posts: 3,479 Arc User
    Hm... Quas - grand prize, Baltrim - Lobi store, Vonph -chance to replace Lobi crystals... T6 FDC, T6 Heavy Raider, T6 Dreadnought Cruiser...
    Nope, you're not the only one not seeing any T5 ships. It's certainly an interesting change, as well as the method for winning the Vonph Dreadnought (definitely new, that is...). I wonder if this is just a test or if this is going to be a permanent change reflected in future Lock Boxes... Like you, I'm not sure I like the idea of losing my 'Consolation' T5 ships (The Kazon Heavy Raider is probably one of my favorites across the board, I've got three different characters flying them at the moment...), but the chance to win a ship instead of Lobi is sure to appeal to some people...
    "If you can't take a little bloody nose, maybe you ought to go back home and crawl under your bed. It's not safe out here. It's wondrous, with treasures to satiate desires both subtle and gross; but it's not for the timid." -- Q, TNG: "Q-Who?"
    ^Words that every player should keep in mind, especially whenever there's a problem with the game...
  • tempus64tempus64 Member Posts: 806 Arc User
    I would think that it's a given that they'd stop putting T5Us in the lock boxes eventually. On the other hand, with it (Quas Flight Deck Cruiser [T6]) having a trait and a console, it seems pretty sweet. Maybe given this is the wrap up of the Iconian stuff they wanted something special in there that the majority of players could actually get, assuming it drops at the same rate the T5Us did. And of course the sharks don't artificially inflate the price of them on the exchange.
    Just a thought; with the "Year of Hell" Lock Box, they did the removing lower grade rewards thing, right? Maybe the removal of the T5 ships from the Herald LB is the continuation of that concept?
    "If you can't take a little bloody nose, maybe you ought to go back home and crawl under your bed. It's not safe out here. It's wondrous, with treasures to satiate desires both subtle and gross; but it's not for the timid." -- Q, TNG: "Q-Who?"
    ^Words that every player should keep in mind, especially whenever there's a problem with the game...
  • pwlaughingtrendypwlaughingtrendy Member Posts: 2,966 Arc User
    ...That wasn't supposed to go live till tomorrow morning.
    ...OK.
  • lingeringsoul888lingeringsoul888 Member Posts: 509 Arc User
    So the Hearld AP beams.....are they space weapons that was mentioned? I see the lobi store for what seem to be ground set. If it is....EXCITING!!!!!
  • primar13primar13 Member Posts: 1,896 Bug Hunter
    edited October 2015
    So the Hearld AP beams.....are they space weapons that was mentioned? I see the lobi store for what seem to be ground set. If it is....EXCITING!!!!!

Yeah those could be interesting
  • sorceror01sorceror01 Member Posts: 1,042 Arc User
    ...OK.

Ooops, lol
    ".... you're gonna have a bad time."
  • rosetyler51rosetyler51 Member Posts: 1,631 Arc User
    I'm willing to wager that flight deck cruiser is the replacement for the t5 ship. Odds are I'm most likely wrong.
    ...OK.

...We don't have to worry about any timeline manipulation meant to make this 'oops' never happen, do we? After all, we all played STO "Butterfly", and I don't know about anyone else, but I don't want to go the way of the Tuterians...
  • warmaker001bwarmaker001b Member Posts: 9,205 Arc User
    People still think T5 is the future of this game? :D
    XzRTofz.gif
  • lingeringsoul888lingeringsoul888 Member Posts: 509 Arc User
    and those SEXY herald outfit.....I like this lock box.........there'll be much spending..
  • theraven2378theraven2378 Member Posts: 5,985 Arc User
    I think the Yamato has some tough competition in the dreadnought category
    NMXb2ph.png
      "The meaning of victory is not to merely defeat your enemy but to destroy him, to completely eradicate him from living memory, to leave no remnant of his endeavours, to crush utterly his achievement and remove from all record his every trace of existence. From that defeat no enemy can ever recover. That is the meaning of victory."
      -Lord Commander Solar Macharius
      Has nothing to do with them being the "future", it has to do with cheap decent ships for alts, for variety. I love my Nihydran on some alts for example.

• shineshadowshineshadow Member Posts: 34 Arc User
      If the Quas is roughly as common as a T5 would have been, then this is only good news.
      Maybe, but the way the article sounds, I'm led to think that the Quas will have the rarity of most 'Grand Prize' lock box ships, not that of a 'consolation' ship.
      Maybe, but the way the article sounds, I'm led to think that the Quas will have the rarity of most 'Grand Prize' lock box ships, not that of a 'consolation' ship.

The Herald Vonph Dreadnought Carrier [T6] is the grand prize and the Herald Quas Flight Deck Cruiser [T6] is the "consolation" ship.
    • shineshadowshineshadow Member Posts: 34 Arc User
      What does that make the Dreadnought, then? It's from the same box and it's specifically noted as being very rare. I'd think that would fit the slot traditionally filled by the T6.
    • lianthelialianthelia Member Posts: 7,824 Arc User
      Well...being how advanced they are...I couldn't see a Herald vessel being considered T5...and what T5 ship would fit in the Herald box?
      tempus64 wrote: »

The Herald Vonph Dreadnought Carrier [T6] is the grand prize and the Herald Quas Flight Deck Cruiser [T6] is the "consolation" ship.

Except the article specifically says that both can be won at the same time;
      "Every box has the chance of containing this ultra-rare prize, in addition to any other prize you also receive, giving exceedingly lucky players the opportunity to acquire two separate ships from opening a single box."

Besides which, compare;
      http://www.arcgames.com/en/games/star-trek-online/news/detail/9449143-star-trek-online:-year-of-hell-lockbox
      Or
      http://www.arcgames.com/en/games/star-trek-online/news/detail/1017440-dominion-lock-box
      To
      http://www.arcgames.com/en/games/star-trek-online/news/detail/9613373-star-trek-online:-herald-lock-box

The older articles present the ships in Grand Prize, Lobi, Consolation order. Hence the conclusion that since the Quas is listed, then the Baltim, then the Vonph, the Quas is the GP, the Baltim is clearly stated to be Lobi, and the Vonph, well...
      What does that make the Dreadnought, then? It's from the same box and it's specifically noted as being very rare. I'd think that would fit the slot traditionally filled by the T6.

That's the odd thing, the method of it being rewarded is less that of a Lock Box ship - consolation or grand prize - and closer in similarity to the 'bonus' ships from R&D and Duty Officer packs like the Elachi Shishar or Jem'hadar Strike...
    • warmaker001bwarmaker001b Member Posts: 9,205 Arc User
      edited October 2015
      Has nothing to do with them being the "future", it has to do with cheap decent ships for alts, for variety. I love my Nihydran on some alts for example.

Cheap, eh? Just like those "cheap" Mirror Ships on the exchange?

In Cryptic's eyes, T5 is no longer fit to even be "Mirror Box Ship" status.

So, what would you have? A "cheap" T5 ship that you still would need to spend an Upgrade token to take it to T5U? Or a straight up T6 that is being offered as the new Mirror ship equivalent?
      XzRTofz.gif
    • jackal1701apwjackal1701apw Member Posts: 669 Arc User
      Yes the way i read it is as follows...
      When you open a lockbox you are getting two prizes, the item in the box and the lobi and so there are two rolls of the 'dice'.

Quas = grand prize lockbox ship = 1/250 ish chance from the item in the box table

Vonph = grand prize promo ship (like promos where you get definite lobi or JHAS/sheshar/annorax etc) = 1/250 ish chance from the lobi table (most likely chance will be amended to relate to Zen cost of key as has been done in the past)

So there is no T5 consolation prize ship in this box at all, but Crosis will pull two ships from one box, many times :)
      [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

...#LLAP...

Cheap, eh? Just like those "cheap" Mirror Ships on the exchange?

In Cryptic's eyes, T5 is no longer fit to even be "Mirror Box Ship" status.

So, what would you have? A "cheap" T5 ship that you still would need to spend an Upgrade token to take it to T5U? Or a straight up T6 that is being offered as the new Mirror ship equivalent?

Got my Nihydrans for < 500k and a couple even at 130k. Upgrade cost me 8m once since all of them get the upgrade for free.. so yeah.. cheap. Thing is, I don't just go buy things on spur of the moment. I watch the prices of things over time that I'm interested in so that I get a good price on them.
      I wonder how much the herald cruiser will be price wise on the exchange?

If it's cheap and I've got the EC to spare I'll get it just for that awesome Herald bridge
      NMXb2ph.png
        "The meaning of victory is not to merely defeat your enemy but to destroy him, to completely eradicate him from living memory, to leave no remnant of his endeavours, to crush utterly his achievement and remove from all record his every trace of existence. From that defeat no enemy can ever recover. That is the meaning of victory."
      • lucho80lucho80 Member Posts: 6,600 Bug Hunter
        Lol, some of those ground universal kits should pack a punch. I've been at the receiving end of those solar gateways in ground maps and they hit hard if you ignore them.
        lucho80 wrote: »
        Lol, some of those ground universal kits should pack a punch. I've been at the receiving end of those solar gateways in ground maps and they hit hard if you ignore them.

They're just as painful in space as well
        NMXb2ph.png
        • messahlamessahla Member Posts: 1,160 Arc User
          edited October 2015
          I remember cryptic saying something about T5Us still being a competitive ship that could stick with T6s i suppose now that the token T5s wont be added to the boxes its an omission that the T5Us were obscolete from day one they just wanted to juice our wallets to get us to buy upgrade tokens.
        • sorceror01sorceror01 Member Posts: 1,042 Arc User
          Man, they're killing me with these lockboxes lately.

I think this is the first one I truly, truly want everything in.
          ".... you're gonna have a bad time."
        • ltminnsltminns Member Posts: 12,569 Arc User
          Well if you could get a T5 cheap, you'd have another ship for the Admiralty system. Look what happened on the Exchange to all the cheap Mirror Ships when Admiralty was announced. They want you to buy the Dilithium Ships (price reduced).
          'But to be logical is not to be right', and 'nothing' on God's earth could ever 'make it' right!'
          Judge Dan Haywood
          'As l speak now, the words are forming in my head.
          l don't know.
          l really don't know what l'm about to say, except l have a feeling about it.
          That l must repeat the words that come without my knowledge.'
          Lt. Philip J. Minns
        • markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User
          messahla wrote: »
          I remember cryptic saying something about T5Us still being a competitive ship that could stick with T6s i suppose now that the token T5s wont be added to the boxes its an omission that the T5Us were obscolete from day one they just wanted to juice our wallets to get us to buy upgrade tokens.
          "competitive" is not the same as equal. Of course T5u was weaker, but it was nearly as good as T6.
          -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
          My character Tsin'xing
          Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
        • anazondaanazonda Member Posts: 8,399 Arc User
          T5 ships ARE dead... They have been since the T6 release..
          It was to be expected.
          Don't look silly... Don't call it the "Z-Store/Zen Store"...
          Let me put the rumors to rest: it's definitely still the C-Store (Cryptic Store) It just takes ZEN.
          Like Duty Officers? Support effords to gather ideas