test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Unofficial Literary Challenge #16 Discussion Thread

Comments

• artan42artan42 Member Posts: 10,450 Bug Hunter
    starswordc wrote: »
    artan42 wrote: »
    Also at one point you say 'Allah be praised', I don't know about over there but here it's more common to use the full Arabic 'Alhamdulillah'.
    I honestly don't know which one they'd be more likely to say in central Iran, either (though note that Jaleh's family are ethnic Persians whose primary language is Farsi rather than Arabic). I won't pretend I don't make mistakes: the whole thing about Jaleh not bothering to keep the dietary rules on deployment began as a way around me goofing the first time I wrote her by having her drink Romulan wine with Tovan.

I suppose it depends on how much Arabic she actually speaks or whether she mainly speaks Persian or English.

As of the alcohol it could go back to what I was saying about a less ridges interpretation of the books.

The spirit of all dietary laws in the Abrahamic religions is to protect the people from illness caused by the dry heat and lack of refrigeration, so meats that go off quickest (shellfish and pork) are forbidden as is blood (it has to be drained, this is also a preservation method). Forbidding alcohol is part of self respect (drinking to get drunk).

I see it as entirely possible for the specifics to be more liberal in the 24th century as some Jewish sects allow alcohol now (as a drink with a meal type arrangement, not to go out drinking).
    Not according to the pronunciation guide in The Klingon Dictionary. Capital 'Q' is an aspirated 'k' sound (you sort of breathe out as you make the click, which I render as 'kh'), and capital 'S' is pronounced 'sh'.

I suppose it depends on the actors saying the name but I hear a 'w' sound a lot.
    Yeah, that was one where I started to try and figure it out based on what I could find on the Internet, but then pretty much just said, "TRIBBLE this; they haven't figured it out in-universe either." :D Replicators were apparently still pretty new technology in TNG.

I suppose it mirrors the current debate about prayer directions (written for a flat Earth) and fasting times (written for the Middle East and not Norway) and again whether the scholars would go with the letter or spirit of the law.​​
    22762792376_ac7c992b7c_o.png
    Norway and Yeager dammit... I still want my Typhoon and Jupiter though.
    JJ Trek The Kelvin Timeline is just Trek and it's fully canon... get over it. But I still prefer TAR.

#TASforSTO

'...I can tell you that we're not in the military and that we intend no harm to the whales.' Kirk: The Voyage Home
    'Starfleet is not a military organisation. Its purpose is exploration.' Picard: Peak Performance
    'This is clearly a military operation. Is that what we are now? Because I thought we were explorers!' Scotty: Into Darkness
    '...The Federation. Starfleet. We're not a military agency.' Scotty: Beyond
    'I'm not a soldier anymore. I'm an engineer.' Miles O'Brien: Empok Nor
    '...Starfleet could use you... It's a peacekeeping and humanitarian armada...' Admiral Pike: Star Trek

Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
  • jonsillsjonsills Member Posts: 10,360 Arc User
    Knowing how Islamic scholars love their debates, it wouldn't surprise me if they'd argue back and forth about whether replicated food was halal for three or four hundred years after the invention of the replicator, and eventually come to different conclusions based on which variety of Islam they follow. (Something similar for Judaism and kosher laws.)
    Lorna-Wing-sig.png
  • antonine3258antonine3258 Member Posts: 2,391 Arc User
    And here's part two of Mhirrafv Terrhai.

Theme for part one was "what we gained", but part two is "what we lost". Also, bits and pieces of worldbuilding for Shi'a Islam in the Warp Age.

Partial Cast:
    • Lieutenant Commander Jaleh Khoroushi, operations officer and Starfleet liaison, RRW Bloodwing: Naz Deravian
    • Erei'Riov Tovan ir'Hfihar tr'Khev, chief of security, RRW Bloodwing: Jon Huertas
    • Ebrahim Khoroushi: Erick Avari
    • Ehsan Khoroushi: Tamer Hosny
    • Firuzeh Khoroushi: Yasmine Al Massri
    • Cadet Third Class Dariush Khoroushi, Starfleet Academy Class of 2411: Adam Bakri

That was a sweet gathering for dinner, but what about Paris?
    Fate - protects fools, small children, and ships named Enterprise Will Riker

Member Access Denied Armada!

My forum single-issue of rage: Make the Proton Experimental Weapon go for subsystem targetting!
  • starswordcstarswordc Member Posts: 10,963 Arc User
    And here's part two of Mhirrafv Terrhai.

Theme for part one was "what we gained", but part two is "what we lost". Also, bits and pieces of worldbuilding for Shi'a Islam in the Warp Age.

Partial Cast:
    • Lieutenant Commander Jaleh Khoroushi, operations officer and Starfleet liaison, RRW Bloodwing: Naz Deravian
    • Erei'Riov Tovan ir'Hfihar tr'Khev, chief of security, RRW Bloodwing: Jon Huertas
    • Ebrahim Khoroushi: Erick Avari
    • Ehsan Khoroushi: Tamer Hosny
    • Firuzeh Khoroushi: Yasmine Al Massri
    • Cadet Third Class Dariush Khoroushi, Starfleet Academy Class of 2411: Adam Bakri

That was a sweet gathering for dinner, but what about Paris?

The limitation I had when I was writing Mhirrafv Terrhai was to avoid giving too many spoilers for the alternate Iconian War storyline I'm working on with Worffan101 and Takeshi, but this really only gives away the beginning of the final chapter and the fact that the Good Guys(TM) either won or didn't lose. Without giving anything away that I didn't already, the outcome is a lot more destructive than the official version.
    "Great War! / And I cannot take more! / Great tour! / I keep on marching on / I play the great score / There will be no encore / Great War! / The War to End All Wars"
    — Sabaton, "Great War"
    VZ9ASdg.png

Check out https://unitedfederationofpla.net/s/
  • marcusdkanemarcusdkane Member Posts: 7,439 Arc User
    I've done as much as I can, so please enjoy And Into the Fire...

--

Heidi Prentice - Rose Leslie
    Brandon Mayer - Jason Lewis
    Han Juon - Naveen Andrews
    Lyonn - Joey Lawrence
    Rynax - Keith Hamilton Cobb
    Kate Ellington - Evangeline Lilly
    Mol Rean - Charles Michael Davis
    The story idea I had never jelled, so I repurposed something I wrote for another thread and expanded on it to fit Prompt #1. At least I've put my main story crew back into space...
    Lorna-Wing-sig.png
    jonsills wrote: »
    The story idea I had never jelled, so I repurposed something I wrote for another thread and expanded on it to fit Prompt #1. At least I've put my main story crew back into space...
    Nicely done B)
  • antonine3258antonine3258 Member Posts: 2,391 Arc User
    These were both interesting - nice action piece and discussion and a good character summary of their views on the Iconian War, respectively.
    Fate - protects fools, small children, and ships named Enterprise Will Riker

Member Access Denied Armada!

My forum single-issue of rage: Make the Proton Experimental Weapon go for subsystem targetting!
  • gulberatgulberat Member Posts: 5,505 Arc User

@jonsills That was fun! I had to fight really hard to disguise a laugh here at work at the mental image of Rock doing *that rap.* Overall he was the real star and most engaging part of this story. Would've loved to see the snootier of the Vulcans have their minds blown by him. And just for good measure it would be fun to throw Vovonek in as well to hold forth at the conference about the practicalities of actually making shipboard equipment function in the required manner, including getting it to work on ships where the equipment *shouldn't* be up to spec for that. Vulcan snobs = SCHOOLED. ;)

I liked Grunt's take on the truth of the Iconians. Though as a question: was he unaware that L'Miren survived, although maimed? She was the one bearing the World Heart, and judging from where she was hit, it appears Sela damaged her legs severely enough to require amputation (who knows, conditions must have been rough on Dewa III), but she did survive.

Christian Gaming Community Fleets--Faith, Fun, and Fellowship! See the website and PM for more. :-)
    Proudly F2P.  Signature image by gulberat. Avatar image by balsavor.deviantart.com.
    edited October 2015
    gulberat wrote: »
    I liked Grunt's take on the truth of the Iconians. Though as a question: was he unaware that L'Miren survived, although maimed? She was the one bearing the World Heart, and judging from where she was hit, it appears Sela damaged her legs severely enough to require amputation (who knows, conditions must have been rough on Dewa III), but she did survive.
    There was a lot of ruckus, and not to sound racist, but to Grunt all Iconians look alike (except T'ket, and that's just because he's a different color).

(Also I forgot that little detail, so... :blush: )
    Lorna-Wing-sig.png
    No problem, I wasn't trying to be a jerk by pointing it out or anything. ;)

I think my alternate version of Berat figured it out from what she said to him (and the missing legs).

Christian Gaming Community Fleets--Faith, Fun, and Fellowship! See the website and PM for more. :-)
    Proudly F2P.  Signature image by gulberat. Avatar image by balsavor.deviantart.com.
    I've done as much as I can, so please enjoy And Into the Fire...

--

Heidi Prentice - Rose Leslie
    Brandon Mayer - Jason Lewis
    Han Juon - Naveen Andrews
    Lyonn - Joey Lawrence
    Rynax - Keith Hamilton Cobb
    Kate Ellington - Evangeline Lilly
    Mol Rean - Charles Michael Davis

Interesting synthesis of the TNG and STFC/VOY versions of the Borg. One might infer from this that the Borg are primarily interested in gaining technology, with organics as targets of opportunity.

And a nice piece of silliness from Jonsills, if not exactly deep and philosophical work. Question about Roclak, though: has it ever been explained how he got discommendated in the first place? I mean, J'mpok is such an TRIBBLE I could see him having Roclak's house discommendated just for being related to an active-duty Starfleet officer, but...
    "Great War! / And I cannot take more! / Great tour! / I keep on marching on / I play the great score / There will be no encore / Great War! / The War to End All Wars"
    — Sabaton, "Great War"
    VZ9ASdg.png

He doesn't like to discuss it in-story, but back when the Undine infestation was first discovered, Roclak, then an up-and-coming scientist, was quite vocal during open Council sessions about the benefits of sharing information with their erstwhile allies in the Federation. J'mpok, who was listening to B'vat and Torg at the time, eventually took B'vat's advice that the only way to shut Roclak up was to discommendate him and force him out of Klingon space altogether.

J'mpok is, in my opinion, a bit weak-willed for a Klingon and far too easily swayed by his "advisors"...
    Lorna-Wing-sig.png
    If the quality of a man is determined by the enemies he makes, then Roclak must be a good man. He stood for the right thing and I can't blame him one bit for realizing he doesn't want to go "home" after that.

These were both interesting - nice action piece and discussion and a good character summary of their views on the Iconian War, respectively.
    Thank you B)

Interesting synthesis of the TNG and STFC/VOY versions of the Borg. One might infer from this that the Borg are primarily interested in gaining technology, with organics as targets of opportunity.
    Thanks, I mostly wanted to show that the true enemy here was time, not the threat of what the Borg could or would do.

I think it's hard to say if the Borg truly prioritize tachnology or organics over the other, I think it's more a case of 'what gets the attention of the collective', rather than one being a favored target. Also, there have been instances in the past where some are deemed 'unworthy of assimilation'... Equally, instances like Sisko's survival of Wolf 359, gives support to the theory Brandon played B)

Based on what we saw on TNG, though, I'd have to say Brandon's probably right - the main emphasis seems to be on assimilating new technology, with biological assimilation a secondary goal. And gathering up all those escape capsules would just be too time- and resource-intensive to be practical, from that standpoint - the Collective has bodies, plenty of them, while the capsules have no interesting new technology, and going to all that trouble would not advance the interests of the Collective in any other way (the trip backtime in the movie First Contact would have at least served the goal of preventing the formation of the Federation, as well as giving the Borg a beachhead in the Alpha/Beta Quadrant area).

I can't imagine the captain was really happy with the solution, but it seems to be the only really viable option - and reminded me of a Draco's Tavern story I referenced in another thread recently, where Rick learned why the chirpsithtra don't use the version of "mine" in their language that indicates possession while referring to their colony worlds (the most practical way to stop invaders that were taking over the less-viable colonies during a long-ago war was to vacate the worlds in question, then drop asteroids on them to ruin the environment, not something they could have done if they'd thought of the colonies as possessions).
    Lorna-Wing-sig.png
    Based on what we saw on TNG, though, I'd have to say Brandon's probably right - the main emphasis seems to be on assimilating new technology, with biological assimilation a secondary goal. And gathering up all those escape capsules would just be too time- and resource-intensive to be practical, from that standpoint - the Collective has bodies, plenty of them, while the capsules have no interesting new technology, and going to all that trouble would not advance the interests of the Collective in any other way (the trip backtime in the movie First Contact would have at least served the goal of preventing the formation of the Federation, as well as giving the Borg a beachhead in the Alpha/Beta Quadrant area).

I can't imagine the captain was really happy with the solution, but it seems to be the only really viable option - and reminded me of a Draco's Tavern story I referenced in another thread recently, where Rick learned why the chirpsithtra don't use the version of "mine" in their language that indicates possession while referring to their colony worlds (the most practical way to stop invaders that were taking over the less-viable colonies during a long-ago war was to vacate the worlds in question, then drop asteroids on them to ruin the environment, not something they could have done if they'd thought of the colonies as possessions).

I think in most instances, Brandon has always been the voice of reason, and this was a kind of Kobyashi Maru situation where the pew pew just wouldn't cut the mustard... And absolutely, the Collective have plenty of bodies and standard technology, I think it's only the unusual stuff, like the Raven which attracts their attention enough to assimilate B)
    Thanks, I mostly wanted to show that the true enemy here was time, not the threat of what the Borg could or would do.

I think it's hard to say if the Borg truly prioritize tachnology or organics over the other, I think it's more a case of 'what gets the attention of the collective', rather than one being a favored target.
    That reminds me of the theory that Q accelerated the timetable of Borg attacks on the Federation by making the Enterprise appear and disappear. Borg go WTF? (what's "WTF?" in machine language? :D) and send a cube on an armed recon sortie to investigate.
    Also, there have been instances in the past where some are deemed 'unworthy of assimilation'...
    Though in fairness, that was VOY exhibiting some rare self-awareness by taking potshots at how much the Kazon suck as villains.
    si1hn.jpg
    Equally, instances like Sisko's survival of Wolf 359, gives support to the theory Brandon played B)
    I think I disagree in the details there. My interpretation was that the cube was just prioritizing targets that were actively shooting at it (USS Yamaguchi and USS Bellerophon) over Saratoga's lifeboats. I may be misattributing something I read on Memory Beta but I think there was a statement in VOY that the Borg assimilated some Starfleet crew and sent them back to the Delta Quadrant before continuing on to Sol, which means the Borg likely captured escape pods from some of the ships that arrived later.
    — Sabaton, "Great War"
    VZ9ASdg.png

edited October 2015
    That reminds me of the theory that Q accelerated the timetable of Borg attacks on the Federation by making the Enterprise appear and disappear. Borg go WTF? (what's "WTF?" in machine language? :D) and send a cube on an armed recon sortie to investigate.
    I don't think Q accelerated the timetable for Borg contact with the Federation -- they were already on their way -- but he did accelerate the Federation's awareness of the Borg, giving them time to prepare (haha) rather than simply having the cube roll up and start assimilating...
    Though in fairness, that was VOY exhibiting some rare self-awareness by taking potshots at how much the Kazon suck as villains.
    si1hn.jpg
    :D
    I think I disagree in the details there. My interpretation was that the cube was just prioritizing targets that were actively shooting at it (USS Yamaguchi and USS Bellerophon) over Saratoga's lifeboats. I may be misattributing something I read on Memory Beta but I think there was a statement in VOY that the Borg assimilated some Starfleet crew and sent them back to the Delta Quadrant before continuing on to Sol, which means the Borg likely captured escape pods from some of the ships that arrived later.
    Might you be thinking of the former drones who were part of Seven's unit, who she linked into a mini-collective when their individuality returned when they were temporarily severed from the collective? One of them was a former Starfleet officer, but I don't think she was assimilated at Wolf 359... Of course, it could simply be that Brandon made the wrong call... The amount of former drones wandering around the STO-verse could indeed be a sign that a cube in battle with a ship will assimilate the crew rather than destroy...
    edited October 2015
    ^Okay, I did some digging and it looks like the info I had came from VOY: "Unity". It was some Borg Cooperative drones that said they were captured at Wolf 359.

As far as Brandon's outcome, it's possible playing dead could still work. I would observe comm silence and possibly try to use [technobabble du jour/] to mask life sign readings. (Though then again, that might be easier to do aboard Proteus...)
    Post edited by starswordc on
    — Sabaton, "Great War"
    VZ9ASdg.png

edited October 2015
    ^Okay, I did some digging and it looks like the info I had came from VOY: "Unity". It was some Borg Cooperative drones that said they were captured at Wolf 359.
    I wonder if that might be a bit like in First Contact, where the Borg started assimilating Enterprise personnel to replace the numbers they lost in the destruction of their ship(s)... If so, the battle at Wolf 359 might have damaged the cube enough that the Borg decided to snatch some pods to make up for any on-board losses...
    As far as Brandon's outcome, it's possible playing dead could still work. I would observe comm silence and possibly try to use [technobabble du jour/] to mask life sign readings. (Though then again, that might be easier to do aboard Proteus...)
    A bit of a retroactive spoiler, is in ULC 15, Rynax is seen transferring to the Xiphos (due to Klingon cultural values towards Brandon's lifestyle ;) ) the date of that event is simply redacted as MV continuity hasn't established when Delta Rising will take place ;)
  • jonnaroslynjonnaroslyn Member Posts: 50 Arc User
    I've posted the first half? two-thirds? of my entry for #3 "The Obvious Weakness"! 4500 words of Borg action and family drama and I'm not even finished yet :# but I thought if I wait with posting until I'm done this will just end up being one more abandoned wip.

I combined this month's prompt with this one from March
    "One of One" -by moonshadowdark

"While investigating a strange energy signature in the outskirts of the Delta Quadrant, your ship comes across a derelict spire-like relay station of sorts. Scans reveal it is of Borg origin and it's data banks reveal a planet not far from your current coordinates. On the planet surface is a grounded Borg ziggurat of some kind. The old Borg data suggests this is the burial site of the very first Borg, Designation One of One. The Borg revere this being as a sort of icon to their Collective. Exploring the site could reveal major information on the Borg. But scans of the ship reveal a faint life sign inside it. Could One of One still be alive? Do you dare risk an encounter with such a mythical being? Write a log detailing the expedition. Is it simply an intergalactic ghost story....or can even death itself be adapted to service the Borg?"

because I needed a sort of framing plot for the warp nacelle disaster, and I already had a bit of that written up.

This is also a sort of companion piece to my entry for LC#50 Call to Arms, because it builds on some of the themes and character interactions in it, but it's not required reading or anything lol

anyway. here's everyone's faces:

Vice Admiral Joanne E. Roslyn
    Commander Corspa sh'Eide
    Commander Taallir
    Lt. Commander Hrin th'Ojhyni
    Lt. jr. grade Elizabeth Harper
    Ensign Kamryn Banks
    Lieutenant Ji Eun Park
    Crewman Eco
    Doctor Imberia Roslyn
    edited October 2015
    Imberia sure is reckless, isn't she? O_O I can't blame Joanne for reacting badly to her, because she hasn't just endangered Eco; she's recklessly endangered the entire fleet and particularly the Mutabor. This is a case where it might have been wiser to send a remote probe and be sitting further out of range (maybe on the edge of the system or better) with one finger on the probe's self-destruct and the other finger on the transwarp button to get out as soon as the probe is destroyed.

I can only imagine what MY Liberated Borg would've said to Dr. Roslyn about what she was doing. Cmdr. Redmond may look every inch the assimilated Borg (for various reasons the physical aspect of the damage couldn't be undone at all), but she has retained a human mind and personality. I would've loved to see Imberia's reaction to be faced with what seems to be a "fully-assimilated Borg drone" whose first words to her are, "Do you have a death wish, lady, or are you just FRAKKING INSANE?"

Can't wait to see how it ends!

@gulberat WELL when has anybody on Star Trek ever done the cautious thing and send a probe when they could just walk right into disaster?! :D
    I love your reaction to Imberia, glad you're enjoying it :)
    @gulberat WELL when has anybody on Star Trek ever done the cautious thing and send a probe when they could just walk right into disaster?! :D

LOL, well, in one story I had my crew send an Exocomp crewman* in to check out an unstaffed enemy installation, in a case where leaving a DNA spoor would be a bad idea. ;)
    I love your reaction to Imberia, glad you're enjoying it :)

I am!

I can only imagine the awful argument between her and Redmond, especially since her personality so defies the expectation her appearance would probably set for Imberia.

(That said, I bet Joanne would secretly want to break out the popcorn if those two went at it. ;) )

*This particular Exocomp presents a "male" persona and accepts such pronouns. He doesn't necessarily represent a majority of Exocomps in doing that.

gulberat wrote: »
    LOL, well, in one story I had my crew send an Exocomp crewman* in to check out an unstaffed enemy installation, in a case where leaving a DNA spoor would be a bad idea. ;)

I am!

I can only imagine the awful argument between her and Redmond, especially since her personality so defies the expectation her appearance would probably set for Imberia.

(That said, I bet Joanne would secretly want to break out the popcorn if those two went at it. ;) )

Exocomps! I always forget those exist, that's really smart actually.

Maybe it'd be a strong drink instead of popcorn, but yes, that would be interesting. now I'm wondering how unpleasant I can make Imberia before she becomes irredeemable

Also at one point you say 'Allah be praised', I don't know about over there but here it's more common to use the full Arabic 'Alhamdulillah'.
    I honestly don't know which one they'd be more likely to say in central Iran, either (though note that Jaleh's family are ethnic Persians whose primary language is Farsi rather than Arabic). I won't pretend I don't make mistakes: the whole thing about Jaleh not bothering to keep the dietary rules on deployment began as a way around me goofing the first time I wrote her by having her drink Romulan wine with Tovan.
    I suppose it depends on how much Arabic she actually speaks or whether she mainly speaks Persian or English.
    Farsi's her native language, but in continuity she actually mainly speaks Romulan. :P (She minored in Romulan Studies at Starfleet Academy.)

However, Islamic liturgy is traditionally recited in Arabic, and Farsi incorporates a lot of Arabic loan words and uses a variant of the Arabic alphabet (all of which began with the Arab conquest of Persia in the mid-7th century). So yeah, she does speak some Arabic, as well as Federation Standard (which is usually said to be a pidgin form of English).
    I've posted the first half? two-thirds? of my entry for #3 "The Obvious Weakness"! 4500 words of Borg action and family drama and I'm not even finished yet :# but I thought if I wait with posting until I'm done this will just end up being one more abandoned wip.

"While investigating a strange energy signature in the outskirts of the Delta Quadrant, your ship comes across a derelict spire-like relay station of sorts. Scans reveal it is of Borg origin and it's data banks reveal a planet not far from your current coordinates. On the planet surface is a grounded Borg ziggurat of some kind. The old Borg data suggests this is the burial site of the very first Borg, Designation One of One. The Borg revere this being as a sort of icon to their Collective. Exploring the site could reveal major information on the Borg. But scans of the ship reveal a faint life sign inside it. Could One of One still be alive? Do you dare risk an encounter with such a mythical being? Write a log detailing the expedition. Is it simply an intergalactic ghost story....or can even death itself be adapted to service the Borg?"

because I needed a sort of framing plot for the warp nacelle disaster, and I already had a bit of that written up.

This is also a sort of companion piece to my entry for LC#50 Call to Arms, because it builds on some of the themes and character interactions in it, but it's not required reading or anything lol

Commander Corspa sh'Eide
    Commander Taallir
    Ensign Kamryn Banks
    Lieutenant Ji Eun Park
    Crewman Eco
    Doctor Imberia Roslyn

That was pretty fun. I'm a little confused about what Imberia did to the tac cube, though.
    — Sabaton, "Great War"
    VZ9ASdg.png

@starswordc Thanks :) don't worry, I'll get to that soon.

Commander Corspa sh'Eide
    Commander Taallir
    Ensign Kamryn Banks
    Lieutenant Ji Eun Park
    Crewman Eco
    Doctor Imberia Roslyn
    That was really good stuff, I was thoroughly engrossed B)