test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Delta Rising Level Curve

pwlaughingtrendypwlaughingtrendy Member Posts: 2,966 Arc User
The Star Trek Online development team is incredibly proud of all the stories we’ve been able to tell from launch until now. With the conclusion of the Iconian War episode arc we’ve been able to add a great conclusion to a story that’s been almost 6 years in the making.

As we get ready to begin the next chapter of STO, we want to make sure that all players, new and old, have a chance to experience the current story to its exciting finale.

~LaughingTrendy

Comments

• themetalstickmanthemetalstickman Member Posts: 1,010 Arc User
    YES!!!

First?​​
    Og12TbC.jpg

Your father was captain of a starship for twelve minutes. He saved 800 lives, including your mother's, and yours.

I dare you to do better.
  • sle1989sle1989 Member Posts: 552 Arc User
    Very cool news
    y1arXbh.png

• messahlamessahla Member Posts: 1,160 Arc User
    Intriguing isn't it?
  • gulberatgulberat Member Posts: 5,505 Arc User
    Yay, one of my proposals goes into effect!! :D (Note: I am sure I'm not the only one who's proposed it. I do not have THAT big of an ego.)

Thank you for addressing this. I'm already feeling a slight reduction in cynicism levels. :)

Christian Gaming Community Fleets--Faith, Fun, and Fellowship! See the website and PM for more. :-)
    Proudly F2P.  Signature image by gulberat. Avatar image by balsavor.deviantart.com.
  • orion0029orion0029 Member Posts: 1,122 Bug Hunter
    Interesting, a good change (hopefully).

I am wondering if any adjustment to the exp requirements to level up (or gain a spec point) is also taking place with this adjustment or is it just a tweak of level requirements for episode missions?

I have my doubts, but I figured it's worth asking.
  • pwecangetlostpwecangetlost Member Posts: 538 Arc User
    Seems very sensible. This will likely help sort out the issues with that 50 -> 60 stage.
  • lordhavelocklordhavelock Member Posts: 2,248 Arc User
    Thanks for the info. All my characters are at L60 so this won't affect me at all.

You can find/contact me in game as @PatricianVetinari. Playing STO since Feb 2010.
  • seannewboyseannewboy Member Posts: 667 Arc User
    Wonderful news.
    New home of the Romulan Republic.
    I have an idea for what Season 11 should be; Season 11: The Big Bug Fix.
    I have not been able to read my bug tickets in over a year, not even the tickets about not being able to see my tickets.
    I find the drama of your signature proof of your immaturity, this means you, DR whiners.
  • guljarolguljarol Member Posts: 979 Arc User
    A good change :)onion-7.gif
    orion0029 wrote: »

I am wondering if any adjustment to the exp requirements to level up (or gain a spec point) is also taking place with this adjustment or is it just a tweak of level requirements for episode missions?

It's been explained in the blog:
    We would like to specifically call out that these updates are only for the minimum required level to play these episodes and will not affect rewards (Skill Points, Dilithium, etc.) or any other aspect of these episodes.
    ​​
  • turbomagnusturbomagnus Member Posts: 3,479 Arc User
    I'm tempted to give everyone a big hug and bounce around all hyper-like.

Not only do we now have an exact date - 27th - for New Dawn, but the level adjustment will be great, it'll reduce hitting ceilings while playing through the story where we have to stop and level up just to play the next mission.
    "If you can't take a little bloody nose, maybe you ought to go back home and crawl under your bed. It's not safe out here. It's wondrous, with treasures to satiate desires both subtle and gross; but it's not for the timid." -- Q, TNG: "Q-Who?"
    ^Words that every player should keep in mind, especially whenever there's a problem with the game...
  • e1ime1im Member Posts: 63 Arc User
    Um... there's that, I guess. Don't understand why did it need a separate devblog... unless... you are NOT rising the level cap again, are you? Please, tell me you aren't.
  • rahmkota19rahmkota19 Member Posts: 1,929 Arc User
    Finally.

This has got to be one of the best decisions made concerning levelling in over a year. Except for the spec point per FE.

Thanks a lot for thic hange.​​
    e1im wrote: »
    Um... there's that, I guess. Don't understand why did it need a separate devblog... unless... you are NOT rising the level cap again, are you? Please, tell me you aren't.

It may be simply because this was one of the biggest Delta Rising complaints, second to the XP nerfs themselves.

Christian Gaming Community Fleets--Faith, Fun, and Fellowship! See the website and PM for more. :-)
    Proudly F2P.  Signature image by gulberat. Avatar image by balsavor.deviantart.com.
  • happyhappyj0yj0yhappyhappyj0yj0y Member Posts: 699 Arc User
    edited October 2015
    The end of the Iconian war has given us a unique opportunity to revisit the progression path for the existing episodes.

I mean, yeah, without the end of the story line stuff couldn't be shifted around, as made obvious by the fact that stuff has never previously been shuffled aroun... oh wait it has.

Yeah, that one line from the blog really annoys me.

There is no unique opportunity. This could have been put into motion the very day that Delta Rising launched, when the problems were immediately obvious to everyone. Amusingly enough, Delta Rising was released October 14th, 2014. Today is the one year anniversary. Ignoring a problem for a year doesn't mean the opportunity to fix it didn't exist, it just means you ignored it for a year. And worse, there were "fixes" to various other things like, say, the DOff system which greatly nerfed XP gains, thus exacerbating the problem.

To be frank, this doesn't deserve a blog post celebrating it... it deserved to be filed in the patch notes about a week shy of a year ago when the problem should have been fixed.
    Post edited by happyhappyj0yj0y on
  • kazabokkazabok Member Posts: 230 Arc User
    This is good, I am happy, you Cryptic folks should feel good for this.
  • orion0029orion0029 Member Posts: 1,122 Bug Hunter
    guljarol wrote: »
    A good change :)onion-7.gif

It's been explained in the blog:
    We would like to specifically call out that these updates are only for the minimum required level to play these episodes and will not affect rewards (Skill Points, Dilithium, etc.) or any other aspect of these episodes.
    ​​

Indeed, though that wasn't what I meant. Perhaps I misspoke...

I intended to ask if the player requirements to level up has been altered at all, not if the experience rewards have been changed.

Apologies for any confusion.
  • bunansabunansa Member Posts: 928 Arc User
    Once again as with the route TOR is taking, you all take it too and it is disappointment at best, the scaling of levels when doing content is stupid, I am sorry but it is, if you want to play it at 53 while you are 60 it should be optional drop down box to reduce your effective level to 53 instead of just being pushed into it.

Just because im level 60 and want to play the old content again I shouldn't be pushed into a lower effective level..

I mean this goes right up there with CAPTAIN Kagran telling a FLEET ADMIRAL what to go do with themselves in the first place during a military conflict.

tumblr_ndmkqm59J31r5ynioo2_r2_500.gif

• bluedarkybluedarky Member Posts: 548 Arc User
    The end of the Iconian war has given us a unique opportunity to revisit the progression path for the existing episodes.

I mean, yeah, without the end of the story line stuff couldn't be shifted around, as made obvious by the fact that stuff has never previously been shuffled aroun... oh wait it has.

There is no unique opportunity. This could have been put into motion the very day that Delta Rising launched, when the problems were immediately obvious to everyone. Amusingly enough, Delta Rising was released October 14th, 2014. Today is the one year anniversary. Ignoring a problem for a year doesn't mean the opportunity to fix it didn't exist, it just means you ignored it for a year. And worse, there were "fixes" to various other things like, say, the DOff system which greatly nerfed XP gains, thus exacerbating the problem.

To be frank, this doesn't deserve a blog post celebrating it... it deserved to filed in the patch about a week shy of a year ago when the problem should have been fixed.

So you wanted them to end the missions 4 levels shy of the level cap?
  • anodynesanodynes Member Posts: 1,999 Arc User

I also doubt it, and that's the downside of this. It will help, but not all that much. Currently, you need about 700,000 xp from sources other than standard episodes to get to the cap, excluding any xp bonus events, currently running Featured Episodes (the first time through) or boosters. This will really only reduce that by 100,000 or so. It's a step, but it's small.
    This is an MMO, not a Star Trek episode simulator. That would make for a terrible game.
  • mayito2009mayito2009 Member Posts: 643 Arc User
    kazabok wrote: »
    This is good, I am happy, you Cryptic folks should feel good for this.

Indeed, great news
    Seek and ye shall find. Ask and ye shall receive. Rabboni
    Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety" (Benjamin Franklin).

Most unexpectedly, this turned into a flame-fest! Closed it goes!. /sigh What flamefestery is this? pwlaughingtrendy
  • jaturnleyjaturnley Member Posts: 1,218 Arc User

It won't, but now with more content at lower levels, the grind from 50-60 is lessened because first time episode rewards are the most you can get from any content in the game. By adding an extra dozen or so high XP missions before you hit 60, it means there is less grinding to do to hit that final push. If you count the fact that you can hit 50 around the end of the Cardassian arc, a new toon can get to 60 with very little grind.
  • trillbuffettrillbuffet Member Posts: 861 Arc User
    Personally I could stomach the T6 ship issue if the cap had not been increased or atleast kept in mind a lot of veterans with or without LTS/long time players just couldn't take both of these with the xp grind involved too. Although this is okay if say I had a few characters but around 30 or more on an account its still just too much.
  • atrebatesatrebates Member Posts: 26 Arc User
    bunansa wrote: »
    Once again as with the route TOR is taking, you all take it too and it is disappointment at best, the scaling of levels when doing content is stupid, I am sorry but it is, if you want to play it at 53 while you are 60 it should be optional drop down box to reduce your effective level to 53 instead of just being pushed into it.
    That is in reference to the Kobali battle zone. Open PvE areas have always scaled to a fixed level, ever since Defera was first implemented.

Episodes and instances have always scaled to the highest level member of the group and in all likelihood always will.

• ronanobrienronanobrien Member Posts: 117 Arc User
    Well, this plays into my theory that we are approaching another expansion here (as if it was a question-we just finished up an arc, so what else can they do in this current one), but bravo on the idea. Only question I have...why was this not put in WHEN YOU RELEASED IT...
  • marcalomunoviamarcalomunovia Member Posts: 5 Arc User
    How about release this with better server stability???
  • ronanobrienronanobrien Member Posts: 117 Arc User
    bluedarky wrote: »

To be frank, this doesn't deserve a blog post celebrating it... it deserved to filed in the patch about a week shy of a year ago when the problem should have been fixed.

I'm in 150% agreement here. And I'll add to it. A better fix now would have been to increase the amount of XP given proportionate to the level of the player so they can smoothly level...I can only take so many Fleet Alerts before I start yanking on my hair. Literally. I would prefer to save THAT primarily for endgame and a few here and there while leveling to grab up those fleet marks. NOT being forced to do it solely to get needed XP that could have been-and for that matter, should have been-given in the story missions.
    bluedarky wrote: »

For enjoyability of the story, I think that would have been the lesser of two evils.

The BEST solution would have been to hold off on raising the level cap altogether until sufficient storyline material existed to level a player all the way to 60 without big gaps, AND/OR to not have raised the leveling requirements to the extremes that were chosen.

• storulesstorules Member Posts: 3,253 Arc User
    Why not take the SWTOR model and just "sell" fully leveled characters at 60? Those guys are making a ton of money like that plus they also have 12XP bonus for almost a year to entice their F2P crowd to "sub" in. Really marketing this game needs some major buff.dino1-4.gif​​
    tumblr_ncbngkt24X1ry46hlo1_400.gif
  • thay8472thay8472 Member Posts: 6,101 Arc User
    How about more content for both of these ARCs?
    2gdi5w4mrudm.png
    Typhoon Class please!