test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Is it possible to make a scary mission?

Just wondering what your thoughts are? I have been considering doing a mission which is a survival mission. Some bad decisions would kill the player instantly and the player would need to combine objects and solve puzzles to advance.
A TIME TO SEARCH: ENTER MY FOUNDRY MISSION at the RISA SYSTEM
Parallels: my second mission for Fed aligned Romulans.

Comments

• Options
    djxprimedjxprime Member Posts: 522 Arc User
    I think it depends on what type of scare you are going for. If it's a jump scare, you might be limited unless you make clever use of triggers (I wish we had the static interference volume on ground maps).

Another route you can try would be to somehow limit the players' perception or distract them from what is coming, like fog effects. Also, you could set up a situation where there would be too many enemy mobs to fight. Finally, you could have a situation where the player is so overwhelmed with enemy mobs that they would have to run or die. I think that and some good writing and dialogue can get someone in the mood for a scare, like reading something by King or Lovecraft.

At the risk of blowing my own horn (**CHEAP PLUG ALERT!!!**) I have a mission currently in the review stage that I made as a Star Trek take on a certain "residential" survival horror game. You might want to check it out to see if there is anything that you can use or borrow in your project. And if you can think of something in it that doesn't work and could be improved upon, let me know.

The mission is called "Hellhouse."
    ST: ST-HHREOK6ZM

Here's a link to the announcement thread if you want to read the description.
    Kkerp5u.jpg?1

"No matter where you go...there you are."
  • Options
    lincolninspacelincolninspace Member Posts: 1,843 Arc User
    Ill take a look.
    A TIME TO SEARCH: ENTER MY FOUNDRY MISSION at the RISA SYSTEM
    Parallels: my second mission for Fed aligned Romulans.
  • Options
    lindalefflindaleff Member Posts: 3,734 Arc User
    The simple answer is no.

The game engine, and resulting mechanics, means that a proper survival horror game is NOT possible.
    I completed a 2-man CSE, ISE, and KASE, Optionals included. And I soloed Winter Invasion.
    My Ship Builds: USS Conqueror, HMS Victorious, HMS Concord, ISS Queen Elizabeth, Black Widow III
    Click here to view my DeviantArt.
  • Options
    agarwaencranagarwaencran Member Posts: 27 Arc User
    Of course you can. When you look on the indi-games you have horrorgames like "serena", "the static speaks my name" and "fingerbones", whish give you the horror through the texts, we can do the same.

dark backdrops like nopada, a little bit dust and you can build a dense atmosphere and you can build the horro through the dialogs.
    A good video about this kind of horror:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vSKtTBjSBg0
  • Options
    lindalefflindaleff Member Posts: 3,734 Arc User
    edited October 2015
    I have played Serena and Fingerbones. Neither of them were in the least bit frightening. It was just explore, push a button, read a thing.

(I hate English.)
    I completed a 2-man CSE, ISE, and KASE, Optionals included. And I soloed Winter Invasion.
    My Ship Builds: USS Conqueror, HMS Victorious, HMS Concord, ISS Queen Elizabeth, Black Widow III
    Click here to view my DeviantArt.