test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Try It Before You Buy It ...

royalsovereignroyalsovereign Member Posts: 1,344 Arc User
OK, so I am considering picking up the Command warbird 3-pack or perhaps the Pilot Warbird 3-pack. One of the main reasons I hadn't bought any of these yet is that they are really ugly to me, but I'm hoping that a little kitbashing might come up with something acceptable.

I've used Tribble before for trying out lockbox ships to see if I wanted to fly it or sell it. Is there a good way to buy C-store ships on Tribble/Redshirt? Or does it use your Zen if you do that?
"You Iconians just hung a vacancy sign on your asses and my foot's looking for a room!"
--Red Annorax

Comments

• jenel79jenel79 Member Posts: 67 Arc User
    When you buy Zen, you select which server you are buying it on, and the only option is Holodeck. When you copy a character over to Tribble, or create a new one, it's a completely different server so any Zen you spend there does not affect the Holodeck. I'm not sure if the Zen you have on Holodeck is even available on Tribble, I think they usually give everybody on Tribble a huge chunk of Zen to buy the new stuff and test it out.

They can't really get a good test of new stuff on Tribble if people are having to buy Zen to test the new ships out, as people wouldn't buy or waste Zen on something that they wouldn't have on Holodeck.
  • gradiigradii Member Posts: 2,824 Arc User
    I hear good things about the command warbirds if it helps, personally I have only tried the Vastam and was impressed by its tankyness, although I was not impressed by its turn rate (I prefer the small-medium more nimble warbirds)

"He shall be my finest warrior, this generic man who was forced upon me.
    Like a badass I shall make him look, and in the furnace of war I shall forge him.
    he shall be of iron will and steely sinew.
    In great armour I shall clad him and with the mightiest weapons he shall be armed.
    He will be untouched by plague or disease; no sickness shall blight him.
    He shall have such tactics, strategies and machines that no foe will best him in battle.
    He is my answer to cryptic logic, he is the Defender of my Romulan Crew.
    He is Tovan Khev... and he shall know no fear."
  • royalsovereignroyalsovereign Member Posts: 1,344 Arc User
    Thanks! I went ahead and bought the command warbirds, and was able to put together a fairly decent kitbash that I can stand to fly. Also bought only the Jaieh pilot bird and then played around with the editor, and really couldn't come up with anything I liked better, so I think I'm good with just the one for now.
    "You Iconians just hung a vacancy sign on your asses and my foot's looking for a room!"
    --Red Annorax
  • giliongilion Member Posts: 686 Arc User
    Glad you hear everything turned out alright, for future reference try keeping at least one char on Tribble and/or Redshirt so that you can collect the zen Cryptic deposits every now and again. I remember I signed on to Tribble once and had almost 10k Zen.

Also, I understand the Rom Pilot ships, but how do you not like the Command ships? The Baratan especially just looks so damn majestic!

On tribble you get free zen to test c-store stuff with, buy a ship and test it out to see if you like it, with no impact on your own zen or character changes in the holodeck?

Do i understand correctly? What are the details, the catch?
  • sohtohsohtoh Member Posts: 620 Arc User
    Isn't the zen store disabled on Tribble?
    "I'm not big on telepaths myself. I'm not big on guns either. But if everyone else has them, I want to make sure I can get my hands on the biggest one I can."
  • markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User
    sohtoh wrote: »
    Isn't the zen store disabled on Tribble?
    yeah. In theory you shouldn't be able to buy stuff there.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
  • officerbatman81officerbatman81 Member Posts: 2,761 Arc User
    So i cant tryout c-stuff?

Then may i ask whats the point of a test server that you cant test c-store wares?
  • tyriniussstyriniusss Member Posts: 317 Arc User
    It's to test new code, not new ships. And yes, the c-store is disabled on tribble.
  • royalsovereignroyalsovereign Member Posts: 1,344 Arc User
    gilion wrote: »
    Also, I understand the Rom Pilot ships, but how do you not like the Command ships? The Baratan especially just looks so damn majestic!
    Urf, to my eyes that's the ugliest of the bunch. Those wings are hilariously stupid-looking. But if everyone liked the same things, there'd be no need for different designs. :)

The pilot ships are OK to me, but they just don't seem to kitbash well - I couldn't come up with any combinations that I thought worked better than the stock Tac version.
    --Red Annorax
  • dracounguisdracounguis Member Posts: 5,358 Arc User
    Not sure if it's still true but, they used to put your Zen on Holodeck and Tribble. Then you could test drive ships there. I guess that lowered the sales because last time I tried to do that, it wasn't an option anymore. Just shows their lack of confidence in their product, imo.
    Uh.. you're probably thinking of a really old bug with tribble...
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
  • shadowfirefly00shadowfirefly00 Member Posts: 1,026 Arc User
    Not sure if it's still true but, they used to put your Zen on Holodeck and Tribble. Then you could test drive ships there. I guess that lowered the sales because last time I tried to do that, it wasn't an option anymore. Just shows their lack of confidence in their product, imo.
    Funny thing is, they already have a mechanic that could be used for this purpose. Recall missions like 'Doomsday Machine', 'Spheres of Influence', and 'Revolution' which give you a ship and boff layout for a portion of them. Why not have a contact (Special Requisitions Evaluations - found in ESD, Qo'noS, and the Romulan Flotilla) that lets you pick one of these ships (naturally, in its default configuration) and fly it through a holodeck combat scenario? Not only would this address the question posed by this thread, but do so in an in-universe manner.
    That sounds like a massive amount of work. Zero has mentioned that those missions are among the hardest to program in the game.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
  • this game is 1) going to be a blast and 2) hard core- this really brings ST into the 10's!!! sorry for spamming but i cant post yet and none of this made any since to me lol- well it did, just not enough as I am unable to play the game cause im in my second patch and they take a few hours each- this game is going to lag like a B