test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Don't like entire season of FE's

So I didn't particularly enjoy having an entire season made up of featured episodes that are slowly rolled out with weekly rewards.

That was odd wasn't it? I mean the previous seasons are just layed out at once right? So you can play them at your own leisurely pace.

One reason that makes any bit of sense is that since the last two episodes of the previous delta rising season requires you to be level 60 and it can take some people quite a long time to make it there so they knew people would be cut off from playing a whole season requiring level 60 to play. So parce them out one at a time as featured episodes with an introductory requirement of level 10 so all leveling characters can play. Fine.

Also i guess there is that conspiracy talk of wanting to manipulate the metrics to make it look more popular.

I'm just exausted from being manipulated to grind out my repeatedly re-relesed FE everyweek. I perfer grinding on my own schedule.

I hope season 11 isnt the same way.

Comments

• davefenestratordavefenestrator Member Posts: 10,643 Arc User
    I skipped some weeks, and skipped most alts. So I lost a few spec points, so what? I'll earn them by playing what I want to, when I feel like it. I play to have fun not grind spec points.

Learn self-control and you won't be "manipulated to grind."
  • mustrumridcully0mustrumridcully0 Member Posts: 12,963 Arc User
    No, the previous seasons didn't always release all missions at once. In fact, It hink many seasons didn't come with missions at all. We had featured episode series, that were something like weekly or bi-weekly releases for 5 episodes or so.

The new model is obviously to encourage people to log into the game regularly. Same reason we have all the weekend events and mutli-week events. People should always feel like there is some reason to go back to STO and grab some cool rewards, always have something they might miss out. It's in Cryptic's interest to get players to play regularly. Players that play regularly are more likely to spend money on the game then people that leave for weeks or months and might or might not come back (and probably realize that and don't want to "invest" money.)

It's up to the players to realize the strategy behind this and exercise self-restraint if they don't really like it. Ultimately, despite the nagging feeling you're missing something if you don't do an event on every single alt of yours or whatever - you're not missing something really important. It's just some toys in a computer game.​​
    Star Trek Online Advancement: You start with lowbie gear, you end with Lobi gear.
  • ltminnsltminns Member Posts: 12,572 Arc User
    And the big deal with these Missions as Featured Episodes is that low level alts can run them and get rewards that have free upgrades to Mk XII.
    'But to be logical is not to be right', and 'nothing' on God's earth could ever 'make it' right!'
    Judge Dan Haywood
    'As l speak now, the words are forming in my head.
    l don't know.
    l really don't know what l'm about to say, except l have a feeling about it.
    That l must repeat the words that come without my knowledge.'
    Lt. Philip J. Minns
  • seaofsorrowsseaofsorrows Member Posts: 10,918 Arc User
    I actually kind of liked it. It seems like they upped the rewards a bit as an encouragement to play, and the weekly skill point/upgrade kit is nice too.

I do however, wish that they would lower the level requirement of both the Delta story and the Iconian arc to level 50 instead of 60. Some of those missions offer some nice rewards that could really help a player climbing that ladder from 50-60. Sadly though, by the time you get to 60, most of the rewards are no longer desirable.

It would also be nice if the skill point was 1 per week per character, not per account. Make the box character bound so people cant give one character 10 boxes if you wish. 1 point per week per character isn't a big 'game breaking' reward, it would however, be a good encouragement for people to run all their alts.
    Insert witty signature line here.
  • officerbatman81officerbatman81 Member Posts: 2,761 Arc User
    Yes, maybe im slow or easily manipulated.

I just recently caught on that if i have a character under 60 they can play it once to unlock it then go back when ever, then i can collect the set on my own time or just all together say "fudge it". I was lazy the last couple FE's.

And i just celebrated some level 60 birthdays on some of my characters, the other is expected shortly.
    So i can feel more so now. And feel no urgency.

Thanks for not flaming me for having a position.
  • bobbydazlersbobbydazlers Member Posts: 4,534 Arc User
    edited September 2015
    i certainly don't like being forced to replay missions with multiple reward items from a set locked behind them especially when you want the set for multiple characters.
    it would have been so much better if they made it so each item could have received a partial account unlock with just one character and the remainder of the unlock was awarded for playing the mission once only, this would have enabled players to partially unlock each item with different characters and receive the whole set with just one play through either before or after each item was partially unlocked, the only exception being players who have less then 3 characters would need to repeat with the same character to gain the entire set.

then at least the majority of players who have 3 or more characters would only have to play the mission once with each character to gain the entire set.

I am quite happy to replay missions from time to time like during the lobi replay event but to have to do it in such quick succession especially as the mission are quite lengthy feature offerings is just too much especially for players that might have 3 or more characters they want to get the set for.

When I think about everything we've been through together,

maybe it's not the destination that matters, maybe it's the journey,

and if that journey takes a little longer,

so we can do something we all believe in,

I can't think of any place I'd rather be or any people I'd rather be with.

• davefenestratordavefenestrator Member Posts: 10,643 Arc User
    But why do all of your characters need the full set right now? Get the set for your alts when you're playing them and they would use the set, not while they're parked or will just bank the gear.

Also, it's that way for the other reward sets like the Jem'Hadar space and ground, just (sometimes) spread out to 2-3 episodes instead of 1.
  • farmallmfarmallm Member Posts: 4,630 Arc User
    edited September 2015
    They do that for the ones who want to take lower levels through it. Plus will make you come back again for the additional awards. And to buy time for the next FE to be ready. Since they can make the FE last a month with 4 rewards.

As for me, I don't do them as they come out. I wait until the FE event is over. Then go through it. That way I see what all the rewards are. Pick the best one, and move to the next. Unless the others are worth doing it again. This is how I blasted through the Iconian story in a matter of a couple rounds of playing. Instead of waiting months to get the whole story.
    Enterprise%20C_zpsrdrf3v8d.jpg

USS Casinghead NCC 92047 launched 2350
    Fleet Admiral Stowe - Dominion War Vet.
  • rickskynightrickskynight Member Posts: 171 Arc User
    We went for a long time without getting any new missions at all...

So you are complaining just to complain?
    edited September 2015
    We went for a long time without getting any new missions at all...

So you are complaining just to complain?

its always great to get new missions to play and I have no bother playing them once on all of my main characters but i just don't like having to replay them with the same character over and over again so soon when obviously the rewards are all part of the same set and naturally you want to get the whole set to unlock the bonus features of that set.

much better to put just one item from each of the sets in each missions so you only need to play it once and put the other items from the sets in the reputation store.
    alternately use the unlock method as i described in my last comment.

players can still replay the missions if they want to for non set item rewards but players who only really want to play the mission once are not forced to replay the mission to complete the special sets.

this seems to be cryptics favourite method for trying to keep players busy of late but i don't need to be kept busy, i have plenty to do in game without this repetitiveness in the game.
    it would not be half so bad if the missions were short single patrol style missions but when they are these long winded feature storys i will not repeat them until a much later time to collect the other items if i ever repeat them at all.

• sdkraustsdkraust Member Posts: 524 Arc User
    edited September 2015
    Holy TRIBBLE stop hating things that are amazing / what I like.

This is literally the best way to produce content. Give it weekly to keep retention rates high.

The only thing that needs to change is to make all missions cap at 50 (or 55) instead of 60 for the Experience.
  • mackbolan01mackbolan01 Member Posts: 580 Arc User
    require 50 (or 55) instead of 60...............sounds good to me...........
  • seaofsorrowsseaofsorrows Member Posts: 10,918 Arc User
    edited September 2015
    Yeah, the level requirements for the Delta and Iconian arcs need to be re-evaluated for sure. There is no reason why you should need to be 60 to run any of that content.

I believe the original intent with the DR story line is that the Devs felt the content would be more challenging then it actually ended up being. They didn't want to send level 50s into those missions and have them be defeated, but they simply overestimated the difficulty of the content. A ship build with any sense of logic using blue mark XI everything could easily get past any of those missions without a problem.

They should be like the Dyson Sphere missions, level 50+. If a player has a hard time getting past a mission, there is nothing preventing them from going and gaining a few more levels before trying it again. Making the entire player base deal with level restrictions just for this scenario is.. frustrating. Some of the mission rewards would be nice for a level 50, but by level 60 you already have better gear rendering the rewards moot.
    Insert witty signature line here.
  • crypticarmsmancrypticarmsman Member Posts: 4,115 Arc User
    i certainly don't like being forced to replay missions with multiple reward items from a set locked behind them especially when you want the set for multiple characters.

STO is a GAME. How are they 'forcing' you to do anything? if you don't like a mission, don't play it. It's hardly the Devs fault if you feel (for whatever reason) every character on your account MUST have every item made available in the game.

Me? I've NEVER liked any of the activities in STO's Summer Event, so I've never participated. Nothing in STO 'forces' me to play any of the game content.

Formerly known as Armsman from June 2008 to June 20, 2012
    TOS_Connie_Sig_final9550Pop.jpg
    PWE ARC Drone says: "Your STO forum community as you have known it is ended...Display names are irrelevant...Any further sense of community is irrelevant...Resistance is futile...You will be assimilated..."
  • fovrelfovrel Member Posts: 1,448 Arc User
    edited September 2015
    Yeah, the level requirements for the Delta and Iconian arcs need to be re-evaluated for sure. There is no reason why you should need to be 60 to run any of that content.

I believe the original intent with the DR story line is that the Devs felt the content would be more challenging then it actually ended up being. They didn't want to send level 50s into those missions and have them be defeated, but they simply overestimated the difficulty of the content. A ship build with any sense of logic using blue mark XI everything could easily get past any of those missions without a problem.

They should be like the Dyson Sphere missions, level 50+. If a player has a hard time getting past a mission, there is nothing preventing them from going and gaining a few more levels before trying it again. Making the entire player base deal with level restrictions just for this scenario is.. frustrating. Some of the mission rewards would be nice for a level 50, but by level 60 you already have better gear rendering the rewards moot.

This post is spot on. I played the 2800 FE to death fot the Jem'haddar sets on my alts. First they are good starting gear to begin endgame, no matter what that means in this game. Next, I like the missions. I don't see me doing it with the Iconian missions, because, at 60, I already have some reputation gear, some upgraded items. I am not going to replace it, items I have invested in.

edited September 2015

STO is a GAME. How are they 'forcing' you to do anything? if you don't like a mission, don't play it. It's hardly the Devs fault if you feel (for whatever reason) every character on your account MUST have every item made available in the game.

Me? I've NEVER liked any of the activities in STO's Summer Event, so I've never participated. Nothing in STO 'forces' me to play any of the game content.

sure its fine if for some reason you don't want the special sets but if you do want them the only way you can obtain all the items of the set is by repeatedly playing the mission so therefore you are forced.
    sure you may not want the set for all of your characters but the characters you do want the set for all have to repeatedly replay the mission.
    if there was an alternative method to obtain some of the items like making them available on the reputation store for example this would not be the case but the only way you can obtain the items is to continually replay the mission.
    I do not feel that every character on my account MUST have every item made available in the game, but I do want to get some items for some of my characters and these special sets are naturally one of the things its nice to get, otherwise they would not be very special.
    if you play the mission only once then you can select only one item from the set and this is fine for some characters but obviously if you want to take advantage of any of the added bonus features of that come from having more then one item from the set its necessary to have more then just one and ideally the complete set.
    there are many of the sets in the game that I don't have and don't care to have and indeed this might apply to these sets but I think its unfair for players that do want the complete set from any of these missions to be forced YES FORCED to replay the mission to get all the items.

it has often been in the past that you could pick up a special item from a set in a mission but you could usually complete the set if you wanted to by buying the rest of the set on the reputation store and I think this should always be the case.

events are different sure you have to replay the same thing over but it takes like two minutes each day and in any case you can unlock the rewards on your entire account with just one character for the summer and winter events, these missions are quite long complex feature episodes, if they were like a play through of say a single Delta Quadrant Patrol mission it would not be half so bad.
    even the CCE event and mirror event are fun for that reason its just like Delta Quadrant Patrol mission but with a team.
    Post edited by bobbydazlers on

• johnnymo1johnnymo1 Member Posts: 697 Arc User
    I'd have liked more episodes with less repeats, or having the rewards unlock account wide, trying to play through anything with more than 5 alts is very tedious, no matter how enjoyable the episodes are.
  • coupaholiccoupaholic Member Posts: 2,188 Arc User
    I don't play episodes more than once on any toon. I can't say I'm overly fond of having single FE releases designed to be replayed over and over for item sets or spec points. It's a pain in the backside trying to get those free space sets since every mission you earn them from just takes forever.

If it were possible I would have gladly shot Cooper myself during Sphere of Influence and saved everyone the trouble.

More open ended content would be better for retaining interest.​​
  • thunderfoot#5163 thunderfoot Member Posts: 4,545 Arc User
    How fast players burn through new content has always been a problem with STO for the Dev Team. By timegating the rewards for the new missions, they were attempting to correct this and gain some benefits to the metrics simlutaneously. I do not think it has worked out the way they'd hoped as timegating mission rewards is a half-assed solution which really does not make either the Devs or the players happy.

What I'd like to see is three teams working exclusively on new content. As one team releases a new FE, the second one is bughunting and testing the next release, while the third team is planning and design yet another FE.

They'd need a much larger staff for this. Which costs money. Are they making enough money off this game right now to justify the additional expense? Are applicants for these potential positions available, qualified, and desirable? Would the potential new revenue streams be enough to offset any potential new expenses?

While I dislike running a new FE more than once for all the available rewards, I understand why Cryptic has chosen this method of play. I do not agree with it, though. I refuse to try and get all of the rewards for all four of my chars. For me that takes the word "game" and replaces it with the word, "work". This is a playstyle choice and others think differently about this choice as well.
    A six year old boy and his starship. Living the dream.
  • antzudanantzudan Member Posts: 231 Arc User
    I much prefer having a continual stream of episodes. It's nice being able to login every couple of weeks for a bit to play some new content rather than just mindlessly grinding over a more condensed period of time. I can't really do the latter anymore.

And the opportunity to get three spec points each time a new episode is released is appreciated (although I'd prefer it if they just made it so the first time any character played the mission they got a bigger amount of skill points equivalent to a spec point). I haven't been able to do it every time but it's been useful in allowing me to get all my characters to having four full spaceship traits. It's nice to know that I can dip in. And that if I ever want to replay the episodes in the future it will be worthwhile to get the sets. But then most of my builds are more or less complete anyway.