test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Design Your Ship Round 1 [Alpha VS Beta]

Comments

• thelunarboythelunarboy Member Posts: 412 Arc User
    #TeamAlpha
    Baby boomers tsk... I've been watching since about 1980 klingonwerewolf. I'll grant you I didn't get into the series as much as I would have liked in terms of episodes, but that's because I was an infant and had zero control over the only television we had in the house. We also didn't have a local cinema or a VCR, so I had to wait 3 years for every film to make it to terrestrial television... and I watched them all until the family finally got a VCR in time for me to buy STVI:TUC (which actually I marginally prefer to Wrath of Khan).

And my favourite episode from watching in childhood was "Bread and Circuses".

The thing is I'm willing to bet that if Trek had started in the 1980s, the TV Connie would have looked more like it did in the movies... and you would have loved it just the same regardless of the aesthetics.

In the original series it's the crew and their camaraderie that hold it together more for me.

But you're absolutely wrong with your childish DS9 jibe. By the time next gen was on TV I was watching it every week... and I liked the Galaxy class then, its just I don't think it has aged very well.
  • ak255ak255 Member Posts: 317 Arc User
    #TeamAlpha
    Why is the Federation getting ANOTHER new ship!? How about the Romulans and/or Klingons!? Seriously, might as well just get rid of "factions" if Feds are just gonna rule the galaxy.
  • flash525flash525 Member Posts: 5,441 Arc User
    #TeamBeta
    I went Beta cause as nice as the Alpha saucer is, the rest of it looks horrid. I figured the Alpha would be leading though; resembles that Jupiter Carrier thing a little too much.
    attachment.php?attachmentid=42556&d=1518094222
  • rickpaaarickpaaa Member Posts: 637 Arc User
    #TeamBeta
    Well I had to choose one of those two.
    giphy.gif
    Member since December 2009

• ggsimmonds84ggsimmonds84 Member Posts: 63 Arc User
    #TeamAlpha
    I vote for Alpha. Beta looks like it has a tumor on the bottom. I don't care for how the engineering hall seems to hang down like that
  • kharliskharlis Member Posts: 39 Arc User
    #TeamAlpha
    I chose Alpha mostly because Beta looks like a cruiser. A carrier should not EVER be mistaken for a cruiser. I think something with a nice pass through design would be best. Launch from the front, recover in the rear. You know like aircraft carriers do.
  • captingoldcaptingold Member Posts: 3 Arc User
    #TeamAlpha
    Beta has a nicer profile, but Alpha has the nicest saucer on offer so I'd like to see it survive.
  • markdbmarkdb Member Posts: 75 Arc User
    #TeamAlpha
    I went with alpha. I just looks more like a carrier. Beta would be okay for a large cruiser.
  • jslynjslyn Member Posts: 1,784 Arc User
    #TeamBeta
    I went Beta. It is almost like a Luna variant.
  • royalsovereignroyalsovereign Member Posts: 1,344 Arc User
    rickpaaa wrote: »
    Well I had to choose one of those two.
    "If you choose not to decide, you still have made a choice."

"You Iconians just hung a vacancy sign on your asses and my foot's looking for a room!"
    --Red Annorax
  • mosul33mosul33 Member Posts: 836 Arc User
    #TeamAlpha
    Alpha. Even if is not my favorite from all of them, but given the choice I had between those two.
    Didnt liked Beta becouse of the shape of the saucer. Its too much like the Galaxy, oval and not true round. And I think would've ended, same as the Galaxy one, somewhat "tricking" the view of thinking its actually round, like if you look from a tilted angle or any other non-top angle, it would seem round, but when looked from top its not really round.
  • ronanobrienronanobrien Member Posts: 117 Arc User
    #TeamBeta
    Went beta as it just looked Federation like. But in reality i am cool with either design :)
  • toivatoiva Member Posts: 3,276 Arc User
    #TeamAlpha
    Neither one of these two is one I'd fly. But Alpha is slightly better, I truly hate the Beta saucer.
    TOIVA, Toi Vaxx, Toia Vix, Toveg, T'vritha, To Vrax: Bring in the Allegiance class.
    Toi'Va, Ti'vath, Toivia, Ty'Vris, Tia Vex, Toi'Virth: Add Tier 6 KDF Carrier and Raider.
    Tae'Va, T'Vaya, To'Var, Tevra, T'Vira, To'Vrak: Give us Asylums for Romulans.

Don't make ARC mandatory! Keep it optional only!
  • themetalstickmanthemetalstickman Member Posts: 1,010 Arc User
    #TeamAlpha
    I liked Alpha because the Federation carrier should look a little different than the standard arrangement IMO.​​
    Og12TbC.jpg

Your father was captain of a starship for twelve minutes. He saved 800 lives, including your mother's, and yours.

I dare you to do better.
  • nishkacmnishkacm Member Posts: 133 Arc User
    #TeamAlpha
    Alpha, I like the saucer best of those two. :smile:
  • cers001cers001 Member Posts: 286 Arc User
    #TeamBeta
    beta
    CVN-65 U.S.S. Enterprise - A ship so badass it survived John McCain.
  • tallasartallasar Member Posts: 6 Arc User
    #TeamAlpha
    Alpha. Arrowhead saucer, nice nascelles. Lean, mean, fast and elegant.
  • shadowx2145shadowx2145 Member Posts: 3 Arc User
    #TeamAlpha
    I just have this feeling that the stats on beta will make it out to be a ship that ends up feeling like a tugboat because of its horrible, slow turning speed.
  • northstar121403northstar121403 Member Posts: 46 Arc User
    #TeamAlpha
    I loved everything about beta...except that saucer. So it's #TeamAlpha for me
    Making Borg go *BOOM* since May 2010

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • tymerstotymersto Member Posts: 433 Arc User
    #TeamAlpha
    Wow...
    Almost 1PM CDT and with 2K+ forum votes, it's 58% to 41% (Alpha to Beta).

But a couple of things come to mind:
    1) How is the voting going on Facebook & Twitter?
    2) How is the overall decision, per round, going to be determined?
    3) Midnight when? US Eastern, Central, or Pacific? (Pacific I would imagine)

Thank you for the time...
    STO CBT Player - 400 day+ Vet, Currently Silver
    Cryptic, would you actulaly like me to spend actual Money? It's Simple:
    • Full, Story-driven, select from start 1-50 Klingon Side
    • Scrap current Lock Box & Lobi system for something more reasonable
    • Expand Dil and Rep/Fleet Marks to regular story content
  • zisko#6191 zisko Member Posts: 49 Arc User
    #TeamBeta
    Beta is more Trek then Alpha.
  • strathkinstrathkin Member Posts: 2,666 Bug Hunter
    edited September 2015
    #TeamBeta
    tallasar wrote: »
    Alpha. Arrowhead saucer, nice nascelles. Lean, mean, fast and elegant.
    I just have this feeling that the stats on beta will make it out to be a ship that ends up feeling like a tugboat because of its horrible, slow turning speed.

I see Alpha & Omega with a deep stretched sauser section, if it has a hull the sauser digested it, and the four warp drive are stretched far behind giving it a forward center of mass. From this I would not expect it to be lean, fast or elegant--perhaps mean tank of a carrier. So it likely have higher HP at a greatly sacrificed turn rate with fewer weapon systems in place of support 12 craft.

Still I think those Beta lovers should blame Vader for the inspired massive Carrier destroyers with huge Fighters fleets for plantary invasionary forces behind Jupiters small cult following and Omega appeal. A 'carrier' in Star Trek terms is a support vessel (Shuttles, Support Crew & Cargo Storage) not an 'Aircraft Carrier' but simply twice the Hanger Bay capacity of Standard Starships (2-3 Hanger Bays) and slightly larger crew compliment.
    Post edited by strathkin on
    0zxlclk.png
  • gigaboltshockgigaboltshock Member Posts: 2 Arc User
    #TeamAlpha
    I like Sigma the best. It looks like a hot sports car.
  • farshorefarshore Member Posts: 353 Arc User
    #TeamBeta
    STO Forums, I am disappoint. Vote Beta!
  • lordmalak1lordmalak1 Member Posts: 4,681 Arc User
    meh, so where's the flight deck on these two ? They both fail. No vote from me.
    KBF Lord MalaK
    Awoken Dead
    giphy.gif

Now shaddup about the queues, it's a BUG
  • omegasprimeomegasprime Member Posts: 289 Arc User
    #TeamAlpha
    Beta reminds me too much of the Nebula Class and I do not like the saucer. I think Beta should be a science ship.​​
    AKA Primus01, Lifetime member since January 16, 2010
    Windows 10 Pro
    Intel Core i7-5700
    RAM 32 GB
    2 Titan GTX 980M GDDR5 8 GB
  • jexsamxjexsamx Member Posts: 2,802 Arc User
    #TeamBeta
    Well Alpha is clearly winning, so obviously you all hate good things.

That's okay, though. Sigma's still in the running so maybe you won't be stupid twice in a row, right guys? It's got that awful mismatched quad-nacelle thing going, everybody loves that, so maybe it'll get votes over that vomit-inducing Jupiter look-alike? Right?

(No but seriously what's with the mismatched nacelle pairs? It looks bad and whoever keeps doing that needs a solid blow to the head and a stern talking-to. Not only does it look bad, it's impractical from an in-universe production standpoint!)
  • daveynydaveyny Member Posts: 8,227 Arc User
    #TeamBeta

What makes you think that ANY Carrier designed ship is going to have a fast turning speed?
    Also, why does anybody think that the stats are going to be based on the "Look" of the ship.
    A true Carrier isn't going into battle as anything more than a very large support vessel that has just enough oomph to defend itself...
    You guys are really dreaming if you think Cryptic is going to make this ship into a hard hitting battleship.
    smh
    STO Member since February 2009.
    I Was A Trekkie Before It Was Cool ... Sept. 8th, 1966 ... Not To Mention Before Most Folks Around Here Were Born!
    Forever a STO Veteran-Minion
    upside-down-banana-smiley-emoticon.gif
  • neogabi1neogabi1 Member Posts: 31 Arc User
    #TeamBeta
    Normally I like ships with a design like Alpha, but Beta looks like it would make a much better carrier. I expect a carrier to have a nice, wide flight deck with room to launch all the small craft. #TeamBeta

Hopefully we'll get to do something fun like this for the KDF side soon too. =)
    Team Fencebane - All Adventure, No Direction!
  • ptyslptysl Member Posts: 4 Arc User
    #TeamAlpha
    i dont like the hull but everything else looks pretty good
    saucer pylons engine all amazing. just not the hull :P
This discussion has been closed.