Install Arc

Design Your Ship!

Comments

• sorceror01sorceror01 Member Posts: 1,042 Arc User
    artan42 wrote: »
    sorceror01 wrote: »
    primar13 wrote: »
    My Favorites are Theta, (new-ish Typhoon)
    and Omega (new-ish Jupiter)

I'm not seeing a Typhoon in the Theta. All I'm seeing is a Command Cruiser.

Command Cruiser designs were inspired pretty heavily by the Typhoon. In fact, in Mirror Universe DSE's, MU Command Cruisers still use the Typhoon model, though I imagine even those will be phased out soon enough and use the Geneva, Concorde, and Presidio models.

I really can't see it. The Typhoon uses Noble and Cerberus parts and somethings hull. The Command Cruisers are 2410 Excelsiors, the Typhoon is a tanked up 2409 Sovereign.​​

No, the Resolute class is a 2410 Excelsior class. It literally even says so in the store description for it.
    The Typhoon was an old Federation Battleship design that was phased out and summarily replaced by the new Command Battlecruiser designs. Literally every instance of the Typhoon appearing before now has either a Concorde, Presidio, or Geneva design, with the exception of the MU Command Cruiser enemy NPC, which still uses the old Typhoon model.
    And if you can't see the similarities between them (wide and prominent saucers, tapering engineering sections, twin dual-nacelle designs), then you are either not looking hard enough, or simply willing yourself into not seeing the similarities. But the are there.
    ".... you're gonna have a bad time."
  • cuchulainn74cuchulainn74 Member Posts: 831 Arc User
    I can't help having one oddball thought when I consider the Beta and Theta designs, though. While they're my favorite two of the bunch, I wonder if the engineering officers aboard must hate it that the warp nacelles aren't directly connected to the engineering hull?! "Simmons, go up to the port nacelle..." "Oh heck, time for another long walk."
    Fleet Admiral CuChulainn - U.S.S. Aegis KT Intel Dreadnought Cruiser
    vGdvFsX.jpg

• sistericsisteric Member Posts: 768 Arc User
    Delta and Theta are what I like the most. The Delta gives me the most feel of being a Carrier. Theta's pylons to the warp nacelle I feel are to far forward, I would love to see them more aft.
    The looks are nice but don't feel like carriers as much to me.
    Federation: Fleet Admiral Zombee (Alien Tactical)::Fleet Admiral Danic (Vulcan Science)::Fleet Admiral Daniel Kochheiser (Human Engineer)
    KDF: Dahar Master Kan (Borg Klingon Tactical)::Dahar Master Torc (Alien Science)::Dahar Master Sisteric (Gorn Engineer)
    RR-Fed: Citizen Sirroc (Romulan Science)::Fleet Admiral Grell (Alien Engineer)
    RR-KDF: Fleet Admiral Zemo (Reman Tactical)::Fleet Admiral Xinatek (Reman Science)::Fleet Admiral Bel (Alien Engineer)
    TOS-Fed: Fleet Admiral Katem (Andorian Tactical)::Lieutenant Commander Straad (Vulcan Engineer)
    Dom-Fed: Dan'Tar (Jem'Hadar Science)
    Dom-KDF: Kamtana'Solan (Jem'Hadar Science)

CoHost of Tribbles in Ecstasy (Zombee)
  • danielhunter1991danielhunter1991 Member Posts: 91 Arc User
    So I wasn't the only one that noticed that the omega one looks like the Jupiter Class. I would like to know how big these will be before I vote but will have to see about that. I hope there big.
  • primar13primar13 Member Posts: 1,896 Bug Hunter
    edited September 2015

Command Cruiser designs were inspired pretty heavily by the Typhoon. In fact, in Mirror Universe DSE's, MU Command Cruisers still use the Typhoon model, though I imagine even those will be phased out soon enough and use the Geneva, Concorde, and Presidio models.

I really can't see it. The Typhoon uses Noble and Cerberus parts and somethings hull. The Command Cruisers are 2410 Excelsiors, the Typhoon is a tanked up 2409 Sovereign.​​

The Resolute is the T6 Excelsior, it was designed to be an upgraded version of the ship. :

45db6ee15e55a5f1dc1e90c3680fad421436971495.gif
    latest?cb=20130812215342&path-prefix=en

The Command Cruisers were designed and intended to look a lot like the Typhoon
    latest?cb=20120616170934
    a171b733b84d9805ab18b01db2be99da1423525348.png

Also, thanks Sorcer for getting the Jupiter pics for me, was on my phone earlier.

• orondisorondis Member Posts: 1,447 Arc User
    I've narrowed my favourites down to Beta, Theta and Sigma.

Beta - Top-down view is pretty good. The profile view I'm not a fan of though, specifically the bulge on the top of the saucer section. There's just something about the profile that reminds me of a porpoise.

Theta - Overall I like it, though once again I wish the saucer section was more round.

Sigma - Looks like a modern take on the Constellation class.
    Previously Alendiak
    Daizen - Lvl 60 Tactical - Eclipse
    Selia - Lvl 60 Tactical - Eclipse
  • stomperx99stomperx99 Member Posts: 863 Arc User
    I think I like Alpha and Omega.
    ZomboDroid10122015042230.jpg

I'm sorry to people who I, in the past, insulted, annoyed, etc.

The Resolute is the T6 Excelsior, it was designed to be an upgraded version of the ship. :

latest?cb=20120616170934

Exactly. Thanks for the pics.

Look guys, the Command Battlecruisers have been out for months. If at this point, with pictures and in-game evidence that heavily show they have essentially replaced the Typhoons while also being essentially their successors in design and function, you are just being obtuse at this point.
    stomperx99 wrote: »
    Cash garb?

I doubt it. Not only does Starfleet lack a unique carrier of its own design, but the Federation lacks a factional T6 carrier completely.
    I imagine that the KDF will get an updated Vo'Quv design around the time this new carrier debuts, much like how we got the Bortasqu' at the same time as the Odyssey despite having no contest to pick it out.
    Romulans will..... probably get some kinda new Warbird carrier, I guess. Or something analogous to a carrier at any rate.
  • danielhunter1991danielhunter1991 Member Posts: 91 Arc User
    samt1996 wrote: »
    Ok after more careful consideration here's my personal analysis, everyone feel free to jump on board with your own.

Epsilon, Theta, Omega - the Least appealing to me in order from downright ugly to tolerable.

Alpha, sigma - beautiful concepts, especially Sigma I would love to see it as a carrier or some sort of science ship!

Beta, Gamma, Delta - Some of the most interesting concepts I've seen in ages! I like each of them in their own way and would love to see all of them in the game! Beta could use some slight reshaping on the saucer section to make it more visually appealing but I like the basic concept. Gamma would be my personal choice, reminds me of the Nova baby carrier from Star Trek: First Contact.

Hey @trendy can we pick the top three concepts and have them all used like in the old days? Pretty please! ☺️

Edit: Alpha would make a nice T6 skin for the reconnaissance science ship!

Who says some of the other designs won't be used for other future ships, it wouldn't surprise me.

• thay8472thay8472 Member Posts: 6,101 Arc User
    edited September 2015
    Will it be called the Jupiter Class? :expressionless:

P.S. Sigma!!!
    2gdi5w4mrudm.png
    Typhoon Class please!
  • artan42artan42 Member Posts: 10,450 Bug Hunter
    edited September 2015

I really can't see it. The Typhoon uses Noble and Cerberus parts and somethings hull. The Command Cruisers are 2410 Excelsiors, the Typhoon is a tanked up 2409 Sovereign.

No, the Resolute class is a 2410 Excelsior class. It literally even says so in the store description for it.
    The Typhoon was an old Federation Battleship design that was phased out and summarily replaced by the new Command Battlecruiser designs. Literally every instance of the Typhoon appearing before now has either a Concorde, Presidio, or Geneva design, with the exception of the MU Command Cruiser enemy NPC, which still uses the old Typhoon model.
    And if you can't see the similarities between them (wide and prominent saucers, tapering engineering sections, twin dual-nacelle designs), then you are either not looking hard enough, or simply willing yourself into not seeing the similarities. But the are there.

What's any of that got to do with the price of fish? I'm not on about the role of the ship or being a refit, I'm on about the design language of the ships. The Typhoon shares no design language with the Command Cruisers whereas the CC, Resolute, and Excelsiors all are clearly based upon each other.

The only similarities beyond the obvious are that the saucer is roughly the same shape as one of the CC variants. Sure they've got duel nacelles, so what? They don't look anything alike. You know what else have wide prominent saucers? The Galaxy, the Sovereign, the Nobel, the Venture. The Typhoon resembles a beefed up Sovereign because that's what it's mainly made of. The CC resemble an Excelsior because that's what they were based on.

I really can't see it. The Typhoon uses Noble and Cerberus parts and somethings hull. The Command Cruisers are 2410 Excelsiors, the Typhoon is a tanked up 2409 Sovereign.

latest?cb=20120616170934

Exactly. Thanks for the pics.

Look guys, the Command Battlecruisers have been out for months. If at this point, with pictures and in-game evidence that heavily show they have essentially replaced the Typhoons while also being essentially their successors in design and function, you are just being obtuse at this point.

I don't care what their in-game role is or the fact their silhouette looks similar, they are nothing alike. Try using multiple angels and not just the one single shot you can find that makes them look alike.​​
    22762792376_ac7c992b7c_o.png
    Norway and Yeager dammit... I still want my Typhoon and Jupiter though.
    JJ Trek The Kelvin Timeline is just Trek and it's fully canon... get over it. But I still prefer TAR.

#TASforSTO

'...I can tell you that we're not in the military and that we intend no harm to the whales.' Kirk: The Voyage Home
    'Starfleet is not a military organisation. Its purpose is exploration.' Picard: Peak Performance
    'This is clearly a military operation. Is that what we are now? Because I thought we were explorers!' Scotty: Into Darkness
    '...The Federation. Starfleet. We're not a military agency.' Scotty: Beyond
    'I'm not a soldier anymore. I'm an engineer.' Miles O'Brien: Empok Nor
    '...Starfleet could use you... It's a peacekeeping and humanitarian armada...' Admiral Pike: Star Trek

Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
    edited September 2015
    stomperx99 wrote: »
    Cash garb?

I doubt it. Not only does Starfleet lack a unique carrier of its own design, but the Federation lacks a factional T6 carrier completely.
    I imagine that the KDF will get an updated Vo'Quv design around the time this new carrier debuts, much like how we got the Bortasqu' at the same time as the Odyssey despite having no contest to pick it out.
    Romulans will..... probably get some kinda new Warbird carrier, I guess. Or something analogous to a carrier at any rate.

The Only Pure Carriers in the game, AFAIK are the Following.

Fed Only: Caitain Atrox Science Carrier / Fleet Variant

KDF Only: Voquv Science Carrier / Mirror Variant / Fleet Variant
    KDF Only: Karfi Tactical Carrier Fleet Variant

Cross Faction:
    Tholian Recluse
    Obelisk / Advanced Lobi Variant
    Xindi Narcine
    Breen Sarr Theln
    Jem'Hadar Dreadnaught Carrier.

• tilarium1979tilarium1979 Member Posts: 567 Arc User
    Ok, putting my foot down here. While there was nothing said about it being a T6, we all know it will be. It's BS if the feds get a T6 carrier before the Klingons get one.
    edited September 2015
    Ok, putting my foot down here. While there was nothing said about it being a T6, we all know it will be. It's BS if the feds get a T6 carrier before the Klingons get one.

All Three Factions got one from Q as a Christmas Gift last year.

Although I want the RRW and KDF to get one. I'm sure they will in time.
  • myrnwynmyrnwyn Member Posts: 103 Arc User
    While I like the Delta's weird saucer a lot and I like the "conning tower" feature on the Alpha and Delta ships, my heart goes out to Sigma for a carrier. Assuming the bays are those centrally located white patches just in front of the nacelles you've got your fighter bay relatively close to engineering so maintenance crews can get between either one easily, huge amounts of hull between incoming fire and the all-important warp core, and a hull that's a nice combination of the constellation and intrepid class's lines. I could see the nacelles having a more elevated (on top) and depressed (on the bottom) warp drive configuration, like the intrepid does, which would also get the bussard collectors out from behind the hanger bulge during warp.
  • tilarium1979tilarium1979 Member Posts: 567 Arc User

No, all 3 got access to a Breen carrier. A Breen carrier is not a federation carrier, a Klingon carrier or a Romulan carrier. If the feds get a full Federation carrier then the Klingons and Romulans damn well better get one too.
  • snipe048snipe048 Member Posts: 168 Arc User
    Omega looks good, and I really hope we're still getting a playable Jupiter DREADNOUGHT not a carrier in the future but for now as a NOT the jupiter, i like the fact we're still getting a dedicated carrier of Starfleet design.

Founder and Current CO of Gamma Strike Force

Player since December 2009
    snipe048 wrote: »
    Omega looks good, and I really hope we're still getting a playable Jupiter DREADNOUGHT not a carrier in the future but for now as a NOT the jupiter, i like the fact we're still getting a dedicated carrier of Starfleet design.

We're probably never going to get access to the old Jupiter dreadnought as a playable ship. The model simply hasn't aged well, even I know that.
    However, it seems that the Omega design for this contest is an earnest attempt at an updated model heavily inspired by the Jupiter, and giving it a much more appropriate role considering the size and look/feel of the ship.
    Personally, I like how it seems the Omega design has the hangar bays along the side of the central hull, which is what I'm assuming those long, white strips are. It'd be neat if it was a fully modeled flight deck we could peek at, like the Atrox carrier ones.
  • samt1996samt1996 Member Posts: 2,856 Arc User
    Can we please end the off-topic arguing about the typhoon/command cruisers? Thank you.

It would seem that general consensus agrees the Sigma is a very pretty design. Personally I'd rather have it as a science ship but I won't complain either way! Delta is also nice but I wonder if wouldn't be better suited as some type of cruiser.
  • tacofangstacofangs Member Posts: 2,951 Cryptic Developer
    Yay! I can't wait to build a camel!
    Only YOU can prevent forum fires!
    19843299196_235e44bcf6_o.jpg
  • tribeofonetribeofone Member Posts: 5 Arc User
    How about use an old ship and revamp it. Use the Star Cruiser its a big ship. An artist won't have to much to change. And saves time to make new Klingon or Romulan ships. Win for everyone.
    tacofangs wrote: »

Camels are great! Don't disparage camels!
    Also, who let you out! It's too early!
  • comrademococomrademoco Member Posts: 1,694 Bug Hunter
    tacofangs wrote: »

Lol. XD
    6tviTDx.png

• specter2222specter2222 Member Posts: 8 Arc User

All 3 factions got a non faction carrier last Christmas, a lot of players don't want to be flying somthing thats not a faction ship (I want to be able to use my BoP frigate pets and i cannot do that on a non faction ship), and if past expieriences are anything to go by if the KDF and RRW don't get one when the fed ship is released the chances are slim to non that they will ever get one.

As i said in a previous post it will be absolutely crazy if the Faction that was the origional carrier users dont get a T6 carrier when the Feds get one, but based on past decisions i am not hopefull that the KDf will get one.
  • sunfranckssunfrancks Member Posts: 3,925 Arc User
    I have my favourite already!

looking forward to this. :D
    Fed: Eng Lib Borg (Five) Tac Andorian (Shen) Sci Alien/Klingon (Maelrock) KDF:Tac Romulan KDF (Sasha) Tac Klingon (K'dopis)
    Founder, member and former leader to Pride Of The Federation Fleet.
    What I feel after I hear about every decision made since Andre "Mobile Games Generalisimo" Emerson arrived...
    3oz8xC9gn8Fh4DK9Q4.gif

• gypsybladegypsyblade Member Posts: 730 Arc User
    Interesting way to release a ship, I'm in... I'd love to see this spread to KDF and Roms as well
  • ladytiamat666ladytiamat666 Member Posts: 276 Arc User
    I like the Beta design. I hope that the class name will be reminiscent of famous aircraft carrier classes. Or if the class name is once again inspired by the mythology, that it will be something like Hydra or Echidna.
    signature%201.jpg_zpsklpuyd7v.png
    Trendy has Called this Project Pantheon. So I for one am hoping whatever is chosen is named the Pantheon Class Carrier in honor of all her hard work.
  • artan42artan42 Member Posts: 10,450 Bug Hunter
    Trendy has Called this Project Pantheon. So I for one am hoping whatever is chosen is named the Pantheon Class Carrier in honor of all her hard work.

Not a bad idea. Pantheon is a group of gods and the ship was chosen by a group (of gods optional :p).​​
    22762792376_ac7c992b7c_o.png
    Norway and Yeager dammit... I still want my Typhoon and Jupiter though.
    JJ Trek The Kelvin Timeline is just Trek and it's fully canon... get over it. But I still prefer TAR.

#TASforSTO

'...I can tell you that we're not in the military and that we intend no harm to the whales.' Kirk: The Voyage Home
    'Starfleet is not a military organisation. Its purpose is exploration.' Picard: Peak Performance
    'This is clearly a military operation. Is that what we are now? Because I thought we were explorers!' Scotty: Into Darkness
    '...The Federation. Starfleet. We're not a military agency.' Scotty: Beyond
    'I'm not a soldier anymore. I'm an engineer.' Miles O'Brien: Empok Nor
    '...Starfleet could use you... It's a peacekeeping and humanitarian armada...' Admiral Pike: Star Trek

Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!

That makes sense. I am a fan!