test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Account server connection could not be started = DDOSed again?

124»

Comments

• bigbravo12bigbravo12 Member Posts: 4 Arc User
    Well the issue with login extends to the mid west, guess no STO for me tonight. I think is Sela up to no good again. By the way, Iconian War epeisodes are awesome!
  • buster8855buster8855 Member Posts: 8 Arc User
    mine says that it can not find the internet. my internet if fine though
  • mekleth06mekleth06 Member Posts: 20 New User
    > @xanime0x said:
    > it could be as simple as no setting the ip # right or worse
    > i know if you don't set the # in 2s digets asending or desending you can mass it up and not 1 2 3 4 order

Usually big TRIBBLE ups have simple (not necessarily easy to implement) solutions. However, with DNS if they wiped out their zone with a botched update, such as making a new, empty server the one that all the others sync to, they will literally have nothing to go from unless they have it backed up. If they have to start from scratch it will be quite a mess (and none of us will be playing tonight). The fact that Cryptic's main site is down is a very bad sign.
  • iathoriathor Member Posts: 71 Arc User
    mekleth06 wrote: »
    If you can get all of the right entries for the various servers into your HOSTS file it might work, I don't know how their launcher works though.

Either way, I think you should open a ticket and tell them to give you the helm so you can steer the ship away from the abyss. Or something.
    There are a number of hosts involved in STO -- I looked at tcpdump of a session a couple weeks ago when they were having problems with outbound packet loss from the server. Finding and getting all the proper entries into the hosts file would be hard. I sure wouldn't want to try it, too likely to make a total mess of it....

And no, I wouldn't dare try to fix DNS problems myself, it's a job for a domain (ahem) expert. I'm more of a layer-3 forwarding path type. I understand the DNS protocol and process enough to see the general problem here, but not all the ins and outs of configuring it in the real world.
  • waukeen25waukeen25 Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    Just an idea. If it is a DNS resolve issue does anyone have the IP address for the cryptic account/game servers? Might be able to edit the hosts file to direct to those IPs without bothering for the launcher to try to resolve it. Basically just bypass the DNS. *shrug*
  • iathoriathor Member Posts: 71 Arc User
    waukeen25 wrote: »
    Just an idea. If it is a DNS resolve issue does anyone have the IP address for the cryptic account/game servers? Might be able to edit the hosts file to direct to those IPs without bothering for the launcher to try to resolve it. Basically just bypass the DNS. *shrug*
    I think you need at least 3-4 entries to make the game work; there are several servers involved. That's why I was saying above that I wouldn't try it -- you'd need to know all the names involved, and what they used to map to. There's no way to look up that information now; you'd have to dig it out of old traces people posted on the web. The only one I turned up quickly was patchserver.crypticstudios.com, which was 208.95.185.41. I really wouldn't want to try to track down the others.

• pigsbanepigsbane Member Posts: 22 Arc User
    It seems to be working again.
  • xanime0xxanime0x Member Posts: 40 Arc User
    i got in