test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

old school Prototype Consoles turned into the regular variety this last patch?

exxxedumsexxxedums Member Posts: 11 Arc User
Has anyone else noticed this? One of my stuck mail items was one of the above mentioned consoles... the type you could turn into the ferengis at quarks for quite a large sum of gpl. With todays patch it has turned into a common variety sci console equivalent. There are none of the prototypes on the exchange now either, there is no mention in the patch notes. Cryptic did you auto deposit into my assets tab the amount of gpl the ferengi would have given to me for said console? Sneaky move cryptic... sneaky. Anyone else notice this? These things are quite valuable on the exchange. Is this a display bug on the items themselves or a stealth change?
Post edited by exxxedums on

Comments

• jer5488jer5488 Member Posts: 506 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    I can confirm this - I understand that it probably happened with the item nominalization - but is there any chance we can get these restored? Some of us invested quite a bit in these consoles, and them being gone is pretty painful.
  • originalspockoriginalspock Member Posts: 809 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    If that's true I am disappointed as I saved them as souvenirs from the very beginning. I was even looking forward to upgrading them.
  • cidjackcidjack Member Posts: 2,017 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    I checked the ones I have, they all still say prototype.
    Armada: Multiplying fleet projects in need of dilithium by 13."
    95bced8038c91ec6f880d510e6fd302f366a776c4c5761e5f7931d491667a45e.jpgvia Imgflip Meme Generator
  • originalspockoriginalspock Member Posts: 809 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    cidjack wrote: »
    I checked the ones I have, they all still say prototype.
    Hope so, I had the sensor probe prototypes.
  • exxxedumsexxxedums Member Posts: 11 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    It must have something to do then with whatever fix they did to help the mail/bank bug that's been going on but fixed lately. Mine was most definitely changed into a common, and i still see none on the exchange.

Btw spock i upgraded one on tribble back when upgrade was new and it became a normal much like what has happened to me now... Just an Fyi.
  • markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    This wasn't exactly a stealth patch. True, they didn't spell out all of the consequences of their item database revamp, but... yeah, this was one of them.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
  • captainoblivouscaptainoblivous Member Posts: 2,284 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    Just out of curiosity, what did these prototype consoles do? I remember they were from the pre-f2p era.
    I need a beer.

edited May 2015
    nothing. Their only value was as a novelty that you could sell to the Ferengi for GPL.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
  • kenshin923kenshin923 Member Posts: 5 Arc User
    will we be compensated? i had lots of them collected at least 57 consoles and now they are just normal consoles. :( very dissapointed
  • storulesstorules Member Posts: 3,253 Arc User
    I want my gpl back not useless consoles. C'mon Cryptic stop with stealth nerfs TvNf8Vs.png​​
    tumblr_ncbngkt24X1ry46hlo1_400.gif
  • bobs1111bobs1111 Member Posts: 471 Arc User
    This is one of the funniest things I have ever seen. Guys you where supposed to turn these in 4 years ago. If you didn't why complain that the data was at last cleaned. You had 4 years to turn them in. This is like being upset that a company won't honour a mail in rebate for something you bought 4 years ago. At some point its your own fault for waiting.

As for the novelty of keeping them... I think anyone that still had some in a bank somewhere can't be to upset about it. :)
    i agree. i want at least the GPL. they can't just delete our prototype consoles without notification or compensation. its unfair for those people who hold on to these early game consoles. anyone else has an opinion on this?
  • anazondaanazonda Member Posts: 8,399 Arc User
    While I understand that some of you have lost in this, you should have seen it coming.

It's not like you havn't had what... 5 years to turn them in..? Cryptic probably just figured "well... if they WERE going to turn them in, they would have done it by now".
    Don't look silly... Don't call it the "Z-Store/Zen Store"...
    Let me put the rumors to rest: it's definitely still the C-Store (Cryptic Store) It just takes ZEN.
    Like Duty Officers? Support effords to gather ideas
    i was waiting for the time that we could do something more useful with GPL and then turn them in. no one ever said they will delete them from our bank or inventory. not even a notification
  • anazondaanazonda Member Posts: 8,399 Arc User
    kenshin923 wrote: »
    i was waiting for the time that we could do something more useful with GPL and then turn them in. no one ever said they will delete them from our bank or inventory. not even a notification

No, and I honestly sympathize, having seen more than one of my things thing gone by the decisions made by Cryptic.

And for that exact reason, it comes as no surprise that they did this... Only thing that surprises me, is that it took them so long.
    Don't look silly... Don't call it the "Z-Store/Zen Store"...
    Let me put the rumors to rest: it's definitely still the C-Store (Cryptic Store) It just takes ZEN.
    Like Duty Officers? Support effords to gather ideas
  • bobs1111bobs1111 Member Posts: 471 Arc User
    kenshin923 wrote: »

???? Really ????????????

What did you think they where going to do... decide that consoles people had the option to turn in for 4 years where all of a sudden going to get a new turn in for marks or something. Crazy talk. I hope Cryptic completely ignores this one. lol

I turned most of mine in years back... I may have had a few in a bank somewhere all well, everything from 4 years ago is all junk at this point anyway.
  • azurianstarazurianstar Member Posts: 6,985 Arc User
    edited September 2015
    Just out of curiosity, what did these prototype consoles do? I remember they were from the pre-f2p era.

They were just regular science consoles. The same basic ones we see today.

Except before F2P, Cryptic decided to nerf science powers and reduced the consoles by 50%. Then later they made all new consoles, and the original consoles were renamed "Prototype".
    exxxedums wrote: »
    Has anyone else noticed this? One of my stuck mail items was one of the above mentioned consoles... the type you could turn into the ferengis at quarks for quite a large sum of gpl. With todays patch it has turned into a common variety sci console equivalent. There are none of the prototypes on the exchange now either, there is no mention in the patch notes. Cryptic did you auto deposit into my assets tab the amount of gpl the ferengi would have given to me for said console? Sneaky move cryptic... sneaky. Anyone else notice this? These things are quite valuable on the exchange. Is this a display bug on the items themselves or a stealth change?

Actually, this has been going on longer than the recent patch. In fact it's been around for at least the past couple of months. Not sure if this is on purpose or a bug. But it really helped with many of my characters who couldn't afford the Latinium accolades since grinding Dabo takes literally forever and conversions only happening during the Summer / Winter Events.

• daveynydaveyny Member Posts: 8,227 Arc User
    edited September 2015
    Ummm... I know the "Prototype" consoles are changed, but there are still Science consoles available in the game that the Ferengi Collector will pay Latinum for.
    I have quite a few of them sitting in my Bank that I've collected by just playing the game.
    They drop few and far between, but they do drop and they come in all levels of quality.
    Commons pay out about 16k of Latinum, Greens give about 24k and Blues give 30k-34k.
    I haven't seen any Purple ones yet.
    Now, anytime I get a SCI console drop, I take a trip to the Ferengi Collector to see if it is something he will take.
    B)
    STO Member since February 2009.
    I Was A Trekkie Before It Was Cool ... Sept. 8th, 1966 ... Not To Mention Before Most Folks Around Here Were Born!
    Forever a STO Veteran-Minion
    upside-down-banana-smiley-emoticon.gif
    daveyny wrote: »
    Ummm... I know the "Proto-type" consoles are changed, but there are still Science consoles available in the game that the Ferengi Collector will pay Latinum for.
    I have quite a few of them sitting in my Bank that I've collected by just playing the game.
    They drop few and far between, but they do drop and they come in all levels of quality.

The only science consoles he won't accept are the Shield Consoles.

But we know Cryptic is going to nerf this now, but then what's going to happen? They going to remove the vendor or nerf the reselling value? I hope it knocks some sense into the Devs there needs to be better ways to earn GPL than by X00 GPL at a time.
  • empireofsteveempireofsteve Member Posts: 665 Arc User
    There is someone who will remain unnamed who made ten million or more latinum with the consoles.
    NERF CANNONS - THEY NEED A 50% NERF
    CRUISERS NEED A 206% HULL BUFF
  • daveynydaveyny Member Posts: 8,227 Arc User
    edited September 2015
    There is someone who will remain unnamed who made ten million or more latinum with the consoles.
    And this is a problem how?

GPL is just a glorified way to buy a few vanity items (most of which are Consumables) and non-contributing accolades.
    I highly doubt that Cryptic cares all the much about a few folks amassing large piles of the stuff.
    I can see why They removed the old Prototype consoles as a house-cleaning measure, but I don't see Them changing the SCI consoles as it doesn't really effect the overall play of the game and gives folks who don't like the gambling aspect of Dabo, a way to acquire GPL.
    B)
    STO Member since February 2009.
    I Was A Trekkie Before It Was Cool ... Sept. 8th, 1966 ... Not To Mention Before Most Folks Around Here Were Born!
    Forever a STO Veteran-Minion
    upside-down-banana-smiley-emoticon.gif
    You forget GPL is used in some missions. Like in the purchase of commodities.
    Yeah, but only small quantities. If the mission calls for 5k gpl, then you don't have the option to spend 50k.....
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
  • samt1996samt1996 Member Posts: 2,856 Arc User
    We seem to have surpassed the place consoles used to be at the very beginning now. Ironic it coincided with science being useful again.