test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

I'm really enjoying the Featured Episodes.

I enjoyed the Butterfly Effect enough that I swung by here hoping to find a thread about it. There wasn't one. In fact, there doesn't seem to be a single positive feedback thread on this forum.

So here it is. Spoilers.

The holodeck element to the Butterfly Effect is fantastic. Each one is like a micro-mystery novel where you start to figure out what's going on from the dialogue before you get to read the console with the big data dump. I was genuinely interest in every line of dialogue.

Alternate-reality Borg Romulus was pretty cool. Commander Jarok's line about people stealing cloaking technology got a genuine laugh out of me. Borg-Hakeev's appearance, while brief, was neat.

I was expecting Nog to annoy me, but he isn't. He's charming.

House Pegh's mostly-competent Emperor Kahless was great. The TRIBBLE Klingons were a nice little touch.

That's it. As much as this game is burdened by bugs, imbalances and questionable business decisions, I'd like the writers and episode designers to know that I'm appreciating their work.

Comments

• Options
    mustrumridcully0mustrumridcully0 Member Posts: 12,963 Arc User
    I think some of the writing could be better, but I simply enjoy being able to play new episodes with some regularity. And it's nice to see the Iconian storyline finally coming to full effect and reaching its conclusion. The plot has been brewing for so long...
    Star Trek Online Advancement: You start with lowbie gear, you end with Lobi gear.
  • Options
    cmdrscarletcmdrscarlet Member Posts: 5,137 Arc User
    You know, I've been enjoying the pace of the FEs as well. Is it just me or do they have a "Star Trek" feel to them? Expect House Pegh ... man that was a shooting gallery of hell.
  • Options
    trygvar13trygvar13 Member Posts: 697 Arc User
    I really like those new FE's. And Butterfly is one of the best episodes in all of STO. It is probably the only episode that I replay in real time (no clicking to get past the dialogue). Especially with my Romulan characters. I was really hoping that Romulus would still be there at the end... in fact I'm not sure that it's not. We can't remember what happened. Did the weapon fire one more time (by accident) before the shield failed? It was mentioned that the weapon was used twice. Twice in the same mission or were there 2 separate missions? Where is Sela? Will she be bringing Dominion reinforcements? Were all of those scenarios actually glimpses of what is going to happen? I'm really hoping that we get Romulus back... someday. I wanted to scream when I saw that Romulus was gone.

It was a very good episode. One that will replay several times with my Romulan characters.
    Dahar Master Qor'aS
  • Options
    mvp333mvp333 Member Posts: 509 Arc User
    edited September 2015
    This is not a bad episode per se... It just felt underwhelming, somehow, and a lot of the stuff made no sense. I don't care how desperate you are, you shouldn't fly a Krenim timeship if it can only fire twice and can so easily have its temporal shielding disrupted... Annorax's version has/had/used-to-have-had-in-a-nonexistent timeline a temporal shield that made it essentially invincible; this would be OP for our timeline's temporal weapon ship but the ending seems silly regardless.

The other thing that bugged me was the tease of the Romulan Star Empire being restored; we all know that they can't actually do this, so necessarily the attempt must fail, and worse, it feels like a bit of a slap in the face to those people that wanted an actual Romulan faction. :\

Uneasy Allies and Blood of the Ancients were good, but IMO it all went downhill from there until Midnight, which (despite a bit of a bad FX design job) was pretty amazing.
  • Options
    woodwhitywoodwhity Member Posts: 2,636 Arc User
    Its like JJ Trek, if you dont think about it and put your brain on minimum support, so you wont see the many plotholes, idiot balls and inconsistencies, the episodes are actually enjoyable. I think in cinema one would say popcorn-cinema...

But if you think about them, oh boy...​​
  • Options
    guljarolguljarol Member Posts: 979 Arc User
    trygvar13 wrote: »
    I really like those new FE's. And Butterfly is one of the best episodes in all of STO. It is probably the only episode that I replay in real time (no clicking to get past the dialogue). Especially with my Romulan characters. I was really hoping that Romulus would still be there at the end... in fact I'm not sure that it's not. We can't remember what happened. Did the weapon fire one more time (by accident) before the shield failed? It was mentioned that the weapon was used twice. Twice in the same mission or were there 2 separate missions? Where is Sela? Will she be bringing Dominion reinforcements? Were all of those scenarios actually glimpses of what is going to happen? I'm really hoping that we get Romulus back... someday. I wanted to scream when I saw that Romulus was gone.

It was a very good episode. One that will replay several times with my Romulan characters.

I'm glad I'm not the only one! :smiley: This is probably the only ep which I replayed with absolutely not skipping, especially the Temer part.​​