test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Versatile Kit Frames (from fleet research lab)

Why haven't there been any threads about these yet? These look awesome! Vascular regenerator on my tac or eng? Sheild recharge on my tac or sci? Finally, my sci's won't have to take shield charges into ground, or my eng's hypos, or my tac's both!
FaW%20meme_zpsbkzfjonz.jpg
Support 90 degree arc limitation on BFaW! Save our ships from looking like flying disco balls of dumb!

Comments

• Options
    sirmaydaysirmayday Member Posts: 535 Arc User
    It's a neat idea, but I think the reaction you're seeing is more like a 'golf clap' than you were expecting. I saw those, though of what I might do with them and how they fit into the existing equipment dynamics and thought, "Okay, these are serious considerations for my choice of Kit Frame." They're good design--interesting and usable but not the new automatic 'must have'--and that's great for the game, but it won't raise a chorus of cheers.
  • Options
    risian4risian4 Member Posts: 3,711 Arc User
    The vascular regenerator isn't that impressive imo. I use it on my tac, and it provides only a very small heal. Both its duration and its 'power' are shorter/less than when a sci uses the regular version.

For which I'm grateful btw. I still think it's a bad idea to give each career access to other careers' kit powers. Difference in ground abilities is about the only reason to create an engineer or science character. If they're going to give each character access to grenades, heals and the ability to build turrets, there soon won't be any reason to have any other character than the standard Federation Tactical officer.
  • Options
    atatassaultatatassault Member Posts: 1,008 Arc User
    As for my Tac, I cant give up my CrtH Delta kit. As for my Eng, I WILL be picking up that Battle Strategies kit. I have no idea why they put the best Tac skill there, but Im not complaining.
  • Options
    marshaunrogersmarshaunrogers Member Posts: 3 Arc User
    not letting me load a grenade kit with grenades is stupid.
  • Options
    kayajaykayajay Member Posts: 1,990 Arc User
    The thing I miss are the Fleet kits, pre interchangeable parts. They made them vanish before my Fleet was high enough to get more than Mk XI though...
  • Options
    velquavelqua Member Posts: 1,220 Arc User
    For Engineers, I am only seeing 1 kit worth getting, and that is for PvP. Everything else seems useless compared to the Delta Kit Frame. The Kit Modules are just as useless since the Undine Rep gives out a much more useful Medical Generator than the Research Lab when it comes to PvE action, especially with Bug Hunt. It's too bad we cannot upgrade our kits and modules in the R&D System. Perhaps, it might be possible in the future.
    18662390068_f716cd60e3.jpg
  • Options
    markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User
    What I want most is a motion accelerator kit for engineers. :p bot Tac and Sci have a module that lets them run faster....
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
  • Options
    woodwhitywoodwhity Member Posts: 2,636 Arc User
    I saw them and put them in the corner. I already have 2 hypos on me (2pc AMACO+a large one), shields are unimportant and Motion accel doesnt add dps. The battle stategies one is the only one possibly competetive, though the delta kits might still be superior. After all, in pugs you usually dont get Tactical Initiative to reduce the CD so often.​​
  • Options
    Actually.. [accelerator does.... if you like melee... or shotguns.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
  • Options
    edited September 2015
    Actually.. [accelerator does.... if you like melee... or shotguns.

On paper, yes, but:

Yeah, with the repel going on from elite tac drones and tholian bosses, not much fun doing melee, especially when an engineer is mostly planting things (and firing in the meantime, when he is on cd, else he would lose CD) and scis got so many -dmgres abilities they are better of with energyweapons and a TR-116b as secondary (both outclassing the shotgun depending on the specific mission)... not even mentioning the other missing buffs for melee...
    Even for Tacs its only a convenience power. Especially since that stupid repel got out of hand (which nerfed melee and did nothing to the -at that point- already more versatile and against borg equally (and against anything else already more) powerful shooting-style)...​​
  • Options
    *laughs maniacally*

Been there, stabbed that. See, drones can't actually stop you from hitting them with melee. What they do is push you away when you are closer than a certain distance. Often this happens after you already hit them. And motion Accelerator makes you move faster so it has less chance to push you before you hit.

Actually, accelerator seems to boost ALL physical, not just melee weapon attacks. Granted, eng and sci don't get any options there except the shotgun, but it works. Also... Eng have several good reasons to do melee. One of my fave strats is to plant a mortar/turret, then melee an enemy to keep them from running from the mortar strike. Kinda works with Exo too. Although scis have a fun power that boosts physical melee damage as well as being a heal.

Also, sci -res powers work on physical resist too. :p So if I give you -20 res from dropping Endo and Hyperonic radiation on you, that increases the damage you take form me hitting you with a sword.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
  • Options
    edited September 2015
    Also, sci -res powers work on physical resist too. :p So if I give you -20 res from dropping Endo and Hyperonic radiation on you, that increases the damage you take form me hitting you with a sword.

While true, they feature now also the quite powerful unstable dampers (the secondary activation gives you and your team a nifty energy damage buff) and the already build-in nanoprobe infestation (though CD is the limiting factor here), coupled with the mediocre shields most enemies posses gives energy weapons a certain edge, especially without the limiting range-factor.
    And bigger enemies? Chain IF, add some Tachyon harmonic/concussion cascade and even the shieldpenetration-advantage of melee is gun.

Scis do have the Dylo, but then again, it still pales in comparasion. Melee, while still viable, is far from competetive in advanced (PvE) play compared to energy weapons.
    Eng have several good reasons to do melee. One of my fave strats is to plant a mortar/turret, then melee an enemy to keep them from running from the mortar strike.

If you had said mines, or bombs, yes. But mortars? While powerful, they take long. What you described seems kind of a funway, not an efficient way (and I go by efficiency. Blowing enemies up fast and chained is what I would describe as fun). Going with mines melee is quite useful to get enemies flanked (since laying on your back always gets you flanked). But then again, with the current CD-Reductions, you will be able to spam most kitpowers fast, and in the meantime (you have to switch places between group A and B often in PvE), your melee will be useless, while you can move at an efficient pace with pistoles/rifles (even though you will get faster to another group, you will lose some of the buff, and afterward it is again more efficient to keep spaming). So the time you can efficiently play melee (only efficient between planting times) is fairly limited, while energy weps (or TR116b) are more versatile.

Again, while still viable, its already seen its best days. Not to mention, that motion accel has an ridicolous CD without Tactical Initiative, even with all the CD-Reduction stuff avaiable. Now, if it would buff kinetic damage (mines, bombs, mortars) too, that would be a completly different matter...​​
  • Options
    If it buffed pets it'd be broken. :p Honestly the main reason I want it is to run faster between fights.

I actually tend to switch between melee and ranged a lot. Shoot at things until something is in range, then weapon swap for stabby death.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing