test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

star ship traits acount bound

whistlerdavidwhistlerdavid Member Posts: 416 Arc User
they really need to make star ship traits account bound when you unlock them.i hate not using my favorite ship because i am to busy unlocking star ship traits from my other T6 ships to put on the ship i like.this is my 3rd time and its taking forever had to put that out there one starship trait unlocked four more to go before i can put them on my Vesta

Comments

• asuran14asuran14 Member Posts: 2,335 Arc User
    I like this idea with alittle bit of a slight change that would make it so the devs might enact it. That fact being you have to have owned the ship the trait is coming from on the character you are wishing to slot it on. So if you want to slot a trait from oen fo the T-6 ships in the Lobi store or from a promotion you will need to have owned the ship in question it is from to do so, though you would not need to have spent the time an exp to level the ship up to get access to it.
  • ladytiamat666ladytiamat666 Member Posts: 276 Arc User
    edited September 2015
    this is my 3rd time and its taking forever had to put that out there one starship trait unlocked four more to go before i can put them on my Vesta

Unlocking starship traits does not take "forever" if you know what you are doing. There's no need to change the system as it is now imho. Just concentrate on the missions, STFs or other in game activities involving lots of enemy starships and you'll unlock your traits pretty quickly.

signature%201.jpg_zpsklpuyd7v.png
  • jbmaverickjbmaverick Member Posts: 935 Arc User
    I agree with tiamat in general, leveling up a ship to the point of unlocking the ship trait doesn't take all that long. However, I also kind of agree that some ship traits should be account bound. Specifically, traits from tier 6 ships that come from Lock Boxes and the Lobi Store should be unlocked across the entire account. Unlike C-Store and event ships that are account-wide unlocks, Lock Box and Lobi ships are unlocked per character, and generally represent a heavy investment by the player to acquire. The ships are already limited to being used by the character who opened the box, and that's fine because it's a huge piece of equipment that can drastically differ from other ships. But ship traits are meant to help further tailor your playstyle rather than strongly define it, so I feel like they should be unlocked for the account.

I also feel that it might not necessarily be a bad idea to unlock traits for C-Store ships on a Faction-level basis. Players who are strongly aligned with one playstyle currently might have to fly a ship that's completely counter to that style just to earn the trait. Simple example, a player who has specialized heavily into particle generators and using lots of Science abilities wants Reciprocity. The Phantom is very poorly set up to accommodate a partgen build, and the player suffers extremely long mission times because he/she doesn't have the amount of firepower normally expected at that point. The problem here lies with faction trait exclusivity. Reciprocity is only available for Federation players through C-Store ships, Klingon and Romulan characters have to get it from a Lock Box. If the ship trait is only unlocked for the Faction of the owner, KDF and Rom players would be upset it wasn't account-wide. But making it account-wide would reduce Lock Box sales, which Perfect World (not Cryptic, PWE makes the business decisions) wouldn't want. Even if the trait is regularly available to all factions, a lot of ships are purchased simply for the trait, and ship sales could potentially drop as well if traits were made account-wide unlocks.

The universe has a wonderful sense of humor. The trick is learning how to take a joke.
  • jackal1701apwjackal1701apw Member Posts: 669 Arc User
    edited September 2015
    do red alerts in beta quadrant (borg/tholian) on a good run you can get from T0 to T5 mastery in 4 maps (c. 1 hr playtime).

But I agree (or at least I did agree) that traits should be some form of account bound unlock. My suggestion was that once you hit T5 mastery on a character you could 'craft' a 'X' Technical Schematic, where X is the name of the ship you mastered. This would cost Dil/EC and be account bound and could be opened on any other character on your account (regardless of faction) to grant the trait of ship X.

This was a potential solution to the restricted faction access of traits like reciprocity, or very rare OP lockbox/lobi traits.

But hey. Cryptic in their infinite wisdom 'solved' the first problem by chucking cross faction traits into lockboxes, and 'solved' the second by making even more OP lockbox/lobi traits (see Astika trait).

Such is the game we now 'play'
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

...#LLAP...
  • omegasprimeomegasprime Member Posts: 289 Arc User
    I agree with op​​
    AKA Primus01, Lifetime member since January 16, 2010
    Windows 10 Pro
    Intel Core i7-5700
    RAM 32 GB
    2 Titan GTX 980M GDDR5 8 GB