test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Rating new missions... a mission impossible

Since the game itself is seriously lacking missions on KDF-side that let my Orion character do Orion-y things (Glory and Honor? Nah, I'll have some booty instead... And I mean both of that word's meanings: accumulating treasures and slaves :wink:), I do like to play me some foundry missions (Though the foundry is also not that generous in these areas as it could be, but more on that later after my primary complaint).

In order to widen my options I registered to rate the new content of other authors.... only to discover that the only missions I could rate are set to the same language as my gaming client: German. I have no access to new missions written in English, even though it's the language even most German authors are writing their missions in to have a wider audience.

Please add an additional option to the "rate new content"-area that let's us select the language a mission has been written in. I think the authors would thank you for that as well :grin:

P.S.:

To the authors: Please do not forget that only one (okay, maybe two if you count the Joined Trill) of the species on KDF-side are truely into "Honor and glory and glorious honor and honorable glory": The Klingons. The rest of the bunch has totally different motivations:

The Gorn are a subjected people and most of the time unsure of how to feel about this: While they are grateful to the Klingons having removed the Undine infiltrators from their ranks they would prefer to be free again.

The Nausicaans are mercenaries and pirates. They ultimatly don't care about honor and glory, even if they like themselves a good battle.

The Letheans are mercenaries as well, but more of the "assassin"-kind, as their telepathic attacks can be lethal without leaving any obvious evidence. They joined the KDF to help expose Undine as telepaths can identify them.

And the Orions... are not really part of the Empire. They are just allies undergoing an exchange program: They give the Klingons access to the intel their (way superior) intelligence network uncovers and in return the Klingons gave them a new homeworld (Ter'jas Mor) as well as ships and weapons. And I think it's rather obvious that Starfleet wasn't very thrilled that the most notorious crime syndicate (guilty of smuggling, piracy, slavetrade, etc, just to name a few) in the quadrant now had access to the finest Klingon warships, most of them capable of cloaking. Now having access to this technology that makes their life/job much easier you can bet that there was quite an increase in crimes commited in Federation space :tongue:.

With this in mind I hope some of you might find inspiration to create much needed content that Cryptic has failed to add (Sorry, devs, no offense. I know you try your best (I hope), but I'm really tired of having my Orion scream "Qa'pla!" during half of the regular missions).

Comments

• markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User
    Yeah, I tend to use more neutral dialog myself. BTW, you could try playing Otha Patrol if you want. :D
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
  • thorodalthorodal Member Posts: 182 Arc User
    edited August 2015
    Yeah, I tend to use more neutral dialog myself. BTW, you could try playing Otha Patrol if you want. :D

It's not just the dialog, I'm actually hoping to see foundry content that's meant to be played by the more shady species of the KDF in the first place. The mission "Qo'noS Noir" is a rather good example for this.
  • starswordcstarswordc Member Posts: 10,963 Arc User
    edited August 2015
    I make a policy of automatically docking one star for failure to include non-Klingon dialog options in KDF Foundry missions.
    thorodal wrote: »
    And the Orions... are not really part of the Empire. They are just allies undergoing an exchange program: They give the Klingons access to the intel their (way superior) intelligence network uncovers and in return the Klingons gave them a new homeworld (Ter'jas Mor) as well as ships and weapons. And I think it's rather obvious that Starfleet wasn't very thrilled that the most notorious crime syndicate (guilty of smuggling, piracy, slavetrade, etc, just to name a few) in the quadrant now had access to the finest Klingon warships, most of them capable of cloaking. Now having access to this technology that makes their life/job much easier you can bet that there was quite an increase in crimes commited in Federation space :tongue:.
    This was one of the biggest mistakes J'mpok ever made. Including the Orion Syndicate in the Empire just changes their actions from civilian criminal offenses to war crimes, and any Orion ship involved in combat turns is an unlawful combatant.

Which is not unique to the KDF's Orion affiliations, I might add. The Klingons' conduct in the Path to 2409 constitutes crimes against sentience, and the KDF player character is guilty of murder as a war crime. None of which is acknowledged in-game, and deserves to be.

Here's a post-Iconian War plot idea. The Federation demands the extradition of senior Klingon officers for war crimes trials.
    "Great War! / And I cannot take more! / Great tour! / I keep on marching on / I play the great score / There will be no encore / Great War! / The War to End All Wars"
    — Sabaton, "Great War"
    VZ9ASdg.png

Check out https://unitedfederationofpla.net/s/
    I'm pretty sure the KDF does not recognize the Geneva conventions, thus any arguments based on that are invalid.

Klingon law apparently does not consider it a crime. Thus the Klingon Council will ignore an claims of "war crimes".
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    edited August 2015
    I'm pretty sure the KDF does not recognize the Geneva conventions, thus any arguments based on that are invalid.

Klingon law apparently does not consider it a crime. Thus the Klingon Council will ignore an claims of "war crimes".

And that means the Federation should, too? They should just sit back and take it while their citizens and soldiers are murdered for "honor" and sold into slavery to an alien crime syndicate? Besides, there's already precedents for the Federation imposing its own laws of war on non-signatories: Dukat, for Bajor, and Taris, for Hobus.

TRIBBLE J'mpok up the TRIBBLE with a rusty bat'leth. No need for the Federation to maintain the alliance now that the Blog War is ending. Time for them to reclaim their places as the people in Star Trek who actually stand up for the rights of sentient beings.
    "Great War! / And I cannot take more! / Great tour! / I keep on marching on / I play the great score / There will be no encore / Great War! / The War to End All Wars"
    — Sabaton, "Great War"
    VZ9ASdg.png

• artan42artan42 Member Posts: 10,450 Bug Hunter
    starswordc wrote: »

And that means the Federation should, too? They should just sit back and take it while their citizens and soldiers are murdered for "honor" and sold into slavery to an alien crime syndicate? Besides, there's already precedents for the Federation imposing its own laws of war on non-signatories: Dukat, for Bajor, and Taris, for Hobus.

TRIBBLE J'mpok up the TRIBBLE with a rusty bat'leth. No need for the Federation to maintain the alliance now that the Blog War is ending. Time for them to reclaim their places as the people in Star Trek who actually stand up for the rights of sentient beings.

If you're suggesting glassing Kronos, I'll go prepare the fleet. I'll just defect my Klingon's first.​​
    22762792376_ac7c992b7c_o.png
    Norway and Yeager dammit... I still want my Typhoon and Jupiter though.
    JJ Trek The Kelvin Timeline is just Trek and it's fully canon... get over it. But I still prefer TAR.

#TASforSTO

'...I can tell you that we're not in the military and that we intend no harm to the whales.' Kirk: The Voyage Home
    'Starfleet is not a military organisation. Its purpose is exploration.' Picard: Peak Performance
    'This is clearly a military operation. Is that what we are now? Because I thought we were explorers!' Scotty: Into Darkness
    '...The Federation. Starfleet. We're not a military agency.' Scotty: Beyond
    'I'm not a soldier anymore. I'm an engineer.' Miles O'Brien: Empok Nor
    '...Starfleet could use you... It's a peacekeeping and humanitarian armada...' Admiral Pike: Star Trek

Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
    First:

Please remember that the Orion Syndicate is not just a regular crime organization: It's also the legitimate ruling body of the Orion people, meaning that it's a political entity of it's own.

Second:

I remember a certain DS9-episode (the first one of the Klingon-Cardassian war) where Worf spoke against decloaking the Defiant to search for survivors at a battlefield as there might be cloak Klingon ships around looking for easy prey, so tactics like these are pretty common in the Klingon art of war. As there were no demands for extraditions after that war either, I can only assume that the Prime Directive might have some reign over this?
    Please remember that the Orion Syndicate is not just a regular crime organization: It's also the legitimate ruling body of the Orion people, meaning that it's a political entity of it's own.
    Actually, the Orions had a legitimate government, but it was a failed state by the time Melani D'ian took over the Syndicate. Only the Klingons and Breen ever gave formal recognition to the Syndicate; the Federation still classifies it as a criminal organization.

I would also point out that the Klingons do have laws about murder. There's an interesting line in the otherwise badly conceived DS9 episode "Rules of Engagement" about Klingon law asking whether you killed out of duty or out of bloodlust.

So, how about it? When you tortured and murdered the crew of the USS DeWitt and sold prisoners into slavery, were you acting out of duty, or out of bloodlust? Or out of greed, for that matter?

Again: TRIBBLE J'mpok up the TRIBBLE with a rusty bat'leth.
    I remember a certain DS9-episode (the first one of the Klingon-Cardassian war) where Worf spoke against decloaking the Defiant to search for survivors at a battlefield as there might be cloak Klingon ships around looking for easy prey, so tactics like these are pretty common in the Klingon art of war. As there were no demands for extraditions after that war either, I can only assume that the Prime Directive might have some reign over this?
    Yet more Klingon war crimes. Interestingly, the Dominion were also guilty of that one. I also recall a scene of a "mighty Klingon warrior" bragging about murdering a Benzite POW by ripping her breathing tubes off so she'd suffocate. The Dominion was the greater problem, but after the war ended? That's just a failure by the Federation to stand up for its people.
    — Sabaton, "Great War"
    VZ9ASdg.png

What episode was that? I seem to have missed that one...
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
  • thay8472thay8472 Member Posts: 6,101 Arc User
    There was also one with a Klingon bragging about beheading a tellarite. Same episode if I recall.
    2gdi5w4mrudm.png
    Typhoon Class please!
    edited August 2015
    What episode was that? I seem to have missed that one...
    thay8472 wrote: »
    There was also one with a Klingon bragging about beheading a tellarite. Same episode if I recall.
    Same Klingon, even. It was DS9: "Apocalypse Rising", the one with Changeling Martok. The Benzite that Klingon killed was one of Sisko's Academy classmates.
    — Sabaton, "Great War"
    VZ9ASdg.png

*looks it up*

Ok... it was a drunken Klingon boasting of his deeds during what was a contest to see who was the most awesome.... yeah.... might be true, might be tall tales.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
  • agarwaencranagarwaencran Member Posts: 27 Arc User
    With the german star trek online client you can play the english missions O.o

You must online select "englisch" in the search engine...

Here a (german speaking) foundry search engine tutorial from me (OP is german, so it fit):
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n-JrjVz1fWY

Here a (german speaking) foundry search engine tutorial from me (OP is german, so it fit):

You misunderstood me: With the German client you can't play the English brandnew ones that are still in review-phase and need enough ratings to be fully published.

You misunderstood me: With the German client you can't play the English brandnew ones that are still in review-phase and need enough ratings to be fully published.

ah, now I get, what you mean :D

Yeah, this is as far I know not possible :/
    Hmm... isn't there a menu in the launcher to change language? Maybe that would change what you see?
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Hmm... isn't there a menu in the launcher to change language? Maybe that would change what you see?

I bet it would. But then I wouldn't be able to see the German ones unless I restart the game once again. I just would like to switch languages in the Foundry menu itself. It's possible for the fully published ones, so why not for those in review-phase?

Only in the "show all" aká top 50, not in the preview-tab ;)

Only in the "show all" aká top 50, not in the preview-tab ;)

Mark meant the launcher of the game itself, you know, the thing that patches the game each Thursday? :tongue:
    Yeah it does seem to be an awkward solution, but it seems the only one. :/ I think I once used it to preview a German mission.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing