test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Should I reduce my amount of characters

thestargazethestargaze Member Posts: 1,020 Arc User
Hi. Just wondering if I am not alone in this. I have like 8+ toons. One female human that is level 60. The rest are 4 toons that are level 54-56. They have stayed in this rank like forever since I rarely play with them. I have another that is level 30 and I think 2-3 more at level 4 or something. I have t leveled them yet. I am really considering cutting of some toons if. Of all and just keep one. But I am hesitating .. It's a lot of work. Just one too on has played all missions the others have basically been leveled by doffing.

My main is fed. She is leveled and well equipped. Done all story missions..

I also have one ferengi with lockbox ship .. Really would like to avoid deleting him.

My third toon is KDF alien. She doesn't have anything special than perhaps some costume unlock. But I really dislike her name I once changed it into..

I guess I am asking if I am insane for considering deleting so many of my toons??? It's just so much work .. And I still don't have a Vulcan toon :/ or a rom toon ::// what should I do?

Comments

• thegrandnagus1thegrandnagus1 Member Posts: 5,165 Arc User
    Unless you are out of character slots and don't want to buy more, I can think of no valid reason to delete a character. If you aren't interested in playing them at the moment, don't. But once you do delete them, you can't really change your mind. So unless you want that slot for something else, you gain nothing by deleting them.

The-Grand-Nagus

og9Zoh0.jpg
  • thestargazethestargaze Member Posts: 1,020 Arc User
    It's just that they have been sitting there for years mostly untouched.
  • vsilverwings1vsilverwings1 Member Posts: 572 Arc User
    No need to delete anything unless you want to make a new character. Leave them and when events pop up or you want to bypass cool downs, jump on an alt. sometimes it's handy but only invest and grind in perhaps one, the rest only if it calls for it like an ev suit for ev missions.
  • thegrandnagus1thegrandnagus1 Member Posts: 5,165 Arc User

So...what? You gain nothing by deleting them unless you need more character slots. It's not like these are real people that are feeling bored or lonely :p

The-Grand-Nagus

og9Zoh0.jpg
  • thatcursedwolfthatcursedwolf Member Posts: 1,617 Arc User

You might luck out and get the invalid skills bug for a free respec and new lease on life.

Most of my roster is captaining the mothball fleet. One captain I'm just clicking buttons to get R+D to 15 for all the schools in case New Dawn undoes the anti-alt features of DR. One I'm playing for the FE spec points and events, and one just for events.
    This is my Risian Corvette. There are many like it, but this one is mine.
  • Gurneyhallek0420Gurneyhallek0420 Member Posts: 40 Arc User
    I deleted/wrote off 8 characters and never regretted it, and they were all epically geared and leveled. Stick with 1 or 2 and you won't be wasting your time.
    potatosig.jpg
  • szimszim Member Posts: 2,503 Arc User
    edited August 2015
    Don't delete them unless you want to create a new char and are out of free slots. Alts - even those you never use - can be very useful at times.

Take the current event. By doing one run of Crystalline Entity once per day you will be able to claim 50'000 dilithium ore after 14 days. This can easily be done with some your alts too. On top of that with the reputation marks earned you will be able to complete at least one reputation on your alts which pays out an additional 50'000 dilithium ore.

There are many opportunities like this. The Delta Recruit Event comes to mind. By leveling up on new char to lvl 50 you were able to claim a huge amount of dilithium ore, marks and R&D materials on each and everyone of your alts.
  • farmallmfarmallm Member Posts: 4,630 Arc User
    I have only deleted one character. That was cause I was trying to make a Sci Capt, and didn't like it. And wanted them to be something else. I still made a Sci character, but in a new look. Even the ones I don't play often. I still use them, as banks to keep some gear in. I plan on leveling them, but all in due time.

Its really depends on what you plan to do with them. If you do, I would at least try to clean out their banks of what gear you can use. That way you won't loose those items.
    Enterprise%20C_zpsrdrf3v8d.jpg

USS Casinghead NCC 92047 launched 2350
    Fleet Admiral Stowe - Dominion War Vet.
  • gaevsmangaevsman Member Posts: 3,190 Arc User

So...what? You gain nothing by deleting them unless you need more character slots. It's not like these are real people that are feeling bored or lonely :p

Wait!, what!!!.. bu.. but.. my Orion loves me, she said so!!!.... *Runs crying to his room*
    The forces of darkness are upon us!
  • ltminnsltminns Member Posts: 12,569 Arc User
    After DR came out there was a few players who made a point of deleting characters because the 'grind' would be too much. However they were not creating new, so it was more a case of cutting off their nose to spite their face, so to speak.
    'But to be logical is not to be right', and 'nothing' on God's earth could ever 'make it' right!'
    Judge Dan Haywood
    'As l speak now, the words are forming in my head.
    l don't know.
    l really don't know what l'm about to say, except l have a feeling about it.
    That l must repeat the words that come without my knowledge.'
    Lt. Philip J. Minns
  • baddmoonrizinbaddmoonrizin Member Posts: 10,303 Community Moderator
    I have 41 toons with plans for at least 12 more. 4 are at Level 60, 6 are Deltas under level 20, the rest are level 50+. Like others have said, unless you really need the slot, there's no need to delete them. You could still possibly find a use for them at some point. So, unless you're absolutely sure that you'll never use them again, I wouldn't delete them.
    GrWzQke.png
    Star Trek Online Volunteer Community Moderator and Resident She-Wolf
    Community Moderators are Unpaid Volunteers and NOT Employees of Gearbox/Cryptic
    Views and Opinions May Not Reflect the Views and Opinions of Gearbox/Cryptic
    ----> Contact Customer Support <----
    Moderation Problems/Issues? Please contact the Community Manager
    Terms of Service / Community Rules and Policies / FCT
    Want the latest information on Star Trek Online?
    Facebook / Twitter / Twitch
  • nrobbiecnrobbiec Member Posts: 959 Arc User
    I have 10. 1 is at level 60, 6 are between 50 and 55. 3 are Deltas that never did anything beyond the tutorial. I've neglected like hell but I'm happy to keep them, I mean they're all nicely geared with some fancy ships and they each have served different parts of my playthrough series depending on their races.

As others have said unless you run out of slots and want to make a new one which seems unlikely since you're worried about unused characters you may as well keep them. You can't undo a delete and you never know if you'll regret it.

Besides if they made a Cardassian faction or something that will most likely come with a free slot anyway.
  • orion0029orion0029 Member Posts: 1,122 Bug Hunter
    I wouldn't recommend deleting any characters, myself. I have 12 characters (+2 throwaway delta recruits) and I haven't seriously logged in on more than 2-3 of them in months, most of my roster is just sitting idle until an event pops up or I feel like playing something other than my main(s).

If you don't need the extra character slots (and even if you do, character slots in STO are faily inexpensive, I'd choose buying more slots to deleting characters), leave them. They aren't hurting anything being inactive and if by some chance STO becomes alt-friendly again you might regret deleting those characters.
  • cyberpenguin73cyberpenguin73 Member Posts: 63 Arc User
    edited August 2015
    I'm a lifer from the beta days and I have a plenty of slots. Still I deleted 3 of 7 alts. A Klingon and 2 Feds. I'd be deleting my Romulan too but I have 2 lockbox ships on that alt so it just gets used for storage and events. IMO, the game is a lot more grindy and alt unfriendly than it used to be, so I don't need a bunch of characters.
  • aesicaaesica Member Posts: 736 Arc User
    I have like 8+ toons.
    Disneyland would be envious.

(Seriously though, deleting characters is silly unless you need that slot for another one. Just mothball ones you don't care about for now, use them as banks, etc.
    Rubberband Dance has been unlocked!
    kNqxcCf.gif
  • duncanidaho11duncanidaho11 Member Posts: 7,867 Arc User
    edited August 2015
    Holding onto something you don't use has the exact same consequences as not holding onto something you don't use. Its irrelevant in either case, but in the first there's the chance that you might waste time that could have gone into developing a main.

Look at it this way, you can either have a core group of well developed characters or you could have a core group of less well developed characters plus a lot of fluff. The difference, of course, may be small (depending on how much you divert to the fluff) but its sufficient to justify consolidating. You don't get rewarded for deleting a character but your mains don't suffer for it either (unlike the pack-rat style retention plan so many advocate here, but to each its own. I just find its better to focus in modern STO.)
    Bipedal mammal and senior Foundry author.
    Notable missions: Apex [AEI], Gemini [SSF], Trident [AEI], Evolution's Smile [SSF], Transcendence
    Looking for something new to play? I've started building Foundry missions again in visual novel form!
  • duncanidaho11duncanidaho11 Member Posts: 7,867 Arc User
    edited August 2015
    szim wrote: »
    Take the current event. By doing one run of Crystalline Entity once per day you will be able to claim 50'000 dilithium ore after 14 days. This can easily be done with some your alts too. On top of that with the reputation marks earned you will be able to complete at least one reputation on your alts which pays out an additional 50'000 dilithium ore.

There are many opportunities like this. The Delta Recruit Event comes to mind. By leveling up on new char to lvl 50 you were able to claim a huge amount of dilithium ore, marks and R&D materials on each and everyone of your alts.

But you don't need that many characters to take advantage of events like this. The question is never how much you could potentially earn but how much you grind you can tolerate in order to earn it. Holding onto 7 characters, lets say, might allow you to run an event 7x over but are you really going to be better off for it? Why not just 3x or 4x, save yourself some soul-crushing tedium (which definitely builds over time) and just be a little more patient about long-term grinding goals?

And things like Delta rewards and (to add one more) T5 reputation payouts are fixed. You earn them once and that's it. The best way to approach them then isn't to hold onto a lot of dead weight alts but to have just ONE dead weight alt that is continuously being killed-off and reborn (as a different species/faction/profession) for a huge, main satisfying, profit.

If you need a refresher, there you go and that's always leading into a generally useful payout (which justifies taking time away from your long-term characters).
    Bipedal mammal and senior Foundry author.
    Notable missions: Apex [AEI], Gemini [SSF], Trident [AEI], Evolution's Smile [SSF], Transcendence
    Looking for something new to play? I've started building Foundry missions again in visual novel form!
  • markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User
    aesica wrote: »
    I have like 8+ toons.
    Disneyland would be envious.

(Seriously though, deleting characters is silly unless you need that slot for another one. Just mothball ones you don't care about for now, use them as banks, etc.
    Yeah if nothing else use them to collect materials that you can use to gear your mains. If nothing else, park them at SFA and grind the recruitment to sell on exchange for the EC.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
  • ursusmorologusursusmorologus Member Posts: 5,328 Arc User
    No you're not crazy, I have also considered deleting some of my old toons. There is no longer any positive argument for keeping more toons than you have an interest in playing. I used to keep one of each class in each faction for PVP (so I could join any side), but PVP has effectively been removed as a game type for me, so all of those toons are pointless now. There is no faction-specific content at end-game either. Really, once you run through the single-player episodes on one toon, there is no reason to run through them again on another. The only reason I have not deleted all of my alts is they have some gear that would be prohibitively expensive to replace should they become relevant again--multiple plasmonic leech consoles on all the Fed-aligned toons, multiple Zemok DOFFs on my Fed tac toon, etc.
  • dracounguisdracounguis Member Posts: 5,358 Arc User
    I ponder the same question w/ my 7 toons. All 6 really do is doff for dilithium. And then things like the CE event come and for 14 days of ~1hrs work a day I can make 7*50k dilithium and consider it a good deal. :wink:

I used to run all of them through the FEs but that got to be a huge pain, now I just run my main on every event. Plus 4 of my toons have lockbox ships. If I could find a way to move them to my main, I'd consider harder on deleting them.
  • bobbydazlersbobbydazlers Member Posts: 4,534 Arc User
    edited August 2015
    it all depends on how you feel about having the amount you have, some players might find having any more then 1 character impossible to comprehend where others could manage 100s over multiple accounts.

it also depends on how you play your characters some might have only 1 main character most of the time and only use alts for the odd bit of doff farming where other players feel compelled to play every single mission and event with all of their characters.

personally I used to only had 3 characters for a long time, one from each faction mainly because I wanted to play the different story lines, but having created 3 I used to try and play all of the story missions and events with them as much as possible.

since the delta recruit event I have 6 characters 3 regular main characters and 3 alt characters, I only levelled up my deltas as far as I needed to finish the delta event and collect all of the rewards and now only use my delta characters for farming dil and ec for my mains mostly just through daily doff missions and sometimes like now with the CCE event to gain extra dil for my main characters.

I'm not sure yet what I will do if they bring out a new faction, perhaps i will most likely use him as a half and half playing him sometimes as a main but often as a farmer and maybe I will use him as a full on forth main.

When I think about everything we've been through together,

maybe it's not the destination that matters, maybe it's the journey,

and if that journey takes a little longer,

so we can do something we all believe in,

I can't think of any place I'd rather be or any people I'd rather be with.

• tarastheslayertarastheslayer Member Posts: 1,541 Bug Hunter
    edited August 2015

I only play one character now, but I use the others to support it by running the crystal event, for example, and providing all the proceedings as far as possible to the one character I run.

I personally wouldn't delete them, see them as resource opportunities for the one character you want to play, after all its Cryptic that made this game so alt-unfriendly :)
    Ten soldiers wisely led will beat a hundred without a head. - Euripides
    I no longer do any Bug Hunting work for Cryptic. I may resume if a serious attempt to fix the game is made.
  • taylor1701dtaylor1701d Member Posts: 3,099 Arc User
    I've got too many.

Fed Alien Tac --- Main
    Fed Vulcan Sci --- Main
    Fed Alien Engi --- Up to Date Story wise, but mostly a Doffer and Event Toon.
    Fed Lib Borg Delta Recruit --- Up to Date Story wise, mostly a Doffer and Event Toon. (Considering using her more for Dil battle bonus)
    Fed Romulan Tac --- Played Story up until Level 30 (doffed her from 30 - 56 just sitting outside ESD), doffing and event toon.

KDF Klingon Delta Recruit --- Level 10, no doffing, no nothing
    KDF Gorn Delta Recruit --- Level 10, no doffing, no nothing
    KDF Reman Delta Recruit --- Level 10 no doffing, no nothing
    KDF Female Orion --- Level 10, no doffing, no nothing

My poor KDFs are languishing.
    Oh well I'm not going to delete any though, no need for that right now.
    But managing 5 toons is a little annoying, and I'm getting pretty sick of doffing each of them.

Takes me an hour to doff them and run them through CCA.

Sometimes I wish I only started my 2 mains and a delta recruit.
    Sometimes I also wish I'd have used my Romulan Tac more seriously since they are super OP.
    Sometimes I wish my Vulcan was an alien (but made it before realizing Aliens get a 10th trait slot).

One of these days Ill finish my Delta KDF Klingon "Melee" toon (but feels like Ill never get around to it !)
    Would love to say the same for my Gorn, because I love the Gorn I made, but need to do my Klingon first (so not looking like it'll ever happen).
    Not sure what I was thinking when maing my Delta KDF Reman and Orion toon... Ill never get around to them at this pace.
    The more you know...right.

I've got too many toons ! I need help.

[img][/img]OD5urLn.jpg
  • jam3s1701jam3s1701 Member Posts: 1,825 Arc User
    I've got 7,

1 I just don't play (only lvl 9 delta),

4 I just doff and grind out events with to get the dil etc,

1 I'm trying to make my Dps king and my main which is totally finished with the spec tree thingy.

All Bar One are lvl 60+. and apart from my main which I play all the time I've gotten them to 60+ from events and doffin and no game play, so you could doff them to get the XP etc so if you want to use them down the line it's less of a ooh my god Xp needed etc thus you'll have more incentives to use them if you want.
    JtaDmwW.png
  • hunteralpha84hunteralpha84 Member Posts: 524 Arc User
    I wouldn't delete any. You never know what you might feel like playing down the line. One of my original toons was a Gorn. He was untouched for years then a few weeks ago I fancied playing a Gorn and there he was ready to go. Updated his uniform got some "modern" gear for his ship and away he went.
  • alcyoneserenealcyoneserene Member Posts: 2,412 Arc User
    edited August 2015
    Why not just 3x or 4x, save yourself some soul-crushing tedium (which definitely builds over time) and just be a little more patient about long-term grinding goals?
    I agree with this from my experience.

I also Doff all 9 toons once per day, and the CC event, and such micro-managing is self-punishing and makes me not want to waste time and effort logging in at all. I didn't even assign any of the spec points on alts, and despite this they're more or less capable of advanced STFs with event gear and mk xii r or vr. Gameplay feels like 99% grind right now. It is unsustainable. Sure the dilithium adds up but the cost in time & effort offsets the fun of newly acquired stuff.

Even getting event gear for the alts to make them more capable isn't something I look forward to or just delay and is nowhere near the fun of leveling a brand new toon.

I never wanted so many toons myself, but they added up like this: maximize dil refining (2), access Rom&KDF ships (4), access Fed fleets as Rom (5), take advantage of XP bonus & it's fun leveling new toon (6), I want a Sci KDF (7), Delta recuit & new free char slot (9).

Once you decide which your main(s) will be, the rest can play a very good support role:
    - role play
    - extra dilthium & EC
    - bypass queue CD
    - variety (different playstyle already pre-set)
    - experimentation (rep RNG freebie & cheap gear, unusual setups)
    - inventory space
    - R&D crafting
    - fleet memberships beyond armadas/faction barriers
    Y945Yzx.jpg
    Devs: Provide the option to Turn OFF full screen flashes from enemy ship explosions
    · ♥ · ◦.¸¸. ◦'¯`·. (Ɏ) V A N U _ S O V E R E I G N T Y (Ɏ) .·´¯'◦.¸¸. ◦ · ♡ ·
    «» \▼/ T E R R A N ¦ R E P U B L I C \▼/ «»
    ﴾﴿ ₪ṩ ||| N A N I T E S Y S T E M S : B L A C K | O P S ||| ₪ṩ ﴾﴿
  • potasssiumpotasssium Member Posts: 1,226 Arc User
    I had 15, deleted 5, then created 2 during the Delta recruitment thing.

8 are lvl 60+ spec pts, the other 4 are between 51-56.

I am running CC on all 12 right now. 7 of them have finished all the reps except Iconian.

I generally play a character to lvl 11, then doff level them. 9 of the 12 are KDF or KDF allied, so I do a lot of Maraudering, my Main is a KDF. I only have 1 Fed I actively play, outside of doffing or events.
    Thanks for the Advanced Light Cruiser, Allied Escort Bundles, Jem-Hadar Light Battlecruiser, and Mek'leth
    New Content Wishlist
    T6 updates for the Kamarag & Vor'Cha
    Heavy Cruiser & a Movie Era Style AoY Utility Cruiser
    Dahar Master Jacket

• shadowwraith77shadowwraith77 Member Posts: 6,395 Arc User
    edited August 2015
    6 toons here

All lvl60

All 6 are mains

1 Fed human
    3 Fed/Rom alien/reman/romulan
    1Kdf ferasan
    1Kdf/Rom reman

I like both factions, and I really like Romulans.....well Remans mostly.

tumblr_nq9ec3BSAy1qj6sk2o2_500_zpspkqw0mmk.gif

Praetor of the -RTS- Romulan Tal Shiar fleet!

• jasecurtisjasecurtis Member Posts: 67 Arc User
    I plan to delete my Andorian science character as she's been replaced by my Trill science Delta recruit. Probably going to make another engineering character in preparation for New Dawn and do some Let's Plays with her.
    qGPf6Iq.jpg?1