test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

How tough are the story mission from Delta Rising on?

I quit playing shortly after DR dropped, I did grind 1 character to 60...and it was a grind. That's actually one of the main reasons I quit, the grind factor was too much.

But this isn't about that. I would like to make a temporary return to play through the story missions I haven't played, how tough are they. I'm flying the T6 cruiser from when DR launched with a mix of Mk XII and XIIIs. Should that be sufficient to play through the story painlessly?

Comments

• Options
    thedoctorblueboxthedoctorbluebox Member Posts: 749 Arc User
    They aren't tough, you'll be fine with that ship. The only thing that is more difficult than previous missions are the Vadwaur themselves in space, they have a nasty AoE attack, but, your ship is more than enough to tank it well. You won't have any issue.

I hope you enjoy the new missions, they really did a good job bringing Voyager series full-circle so to speak, if you are a fan of the Voyager series, you will really like these missions.
  • Options
    leviathan99#2867 leviathan99 Member Posts: 7,747 Arc User
    HP pools are bigger. I would advise whenever a mission doesn't require combat that you avoid it. Not for the difficulty. The tricks the enemies use are quite fun. But the lengths of fights can be a bit intense. In general, mission text will guide you to avoid combat and why would you skip that on the first playthrough since most of them are fully voiced by Star Trek actors?

Just... When given a stealth option, take it. Don't get cocky. It's not that you'll die on normal (or necessarily on higher difficulties) if you watch yourself. It's that you'll wind up in protracted battles that slow you down.
  • Options
    thedoctorblueboxthedoctorbluebox Member Posts: 749 Arc User
    Oh, and be prepared for patrols again :) But at least this time patrols have a story element to them, however, there are a lot of them that are used as "filler" between missions.
  • Options
    conundrumnsaconundrumnsa Member Posts: 705 Arc User
    Oh, and be prepared for patrols again :) But at least this time patrols have a story element to them, however, there are a lot of them that are used as "filler" between missions.
    Yeah, I did a few of those in the beginning of the DR arc.

Anyway, thanks for the info everyone, I'll probably dust off the captains chair this weekend.
  • Options
    peterconnorfirstpeterconnorfirst Member Posts: 6,225 Arc User
    They aren’t tough and you should be fine.

I also like to point out that with 9 toons on my hands the grind to get em to 60 not to mention to get 80 sepc points or more on them would have been impossible to do by story missions.

That’s why I advise to use the doff system. By the time you new toon gets to 60 by active play all the others are probably 52-53 out of doffing.
    animated.gif
    Looking for a fun PvE fleet? Join us at Omega Combat Division today.
    felisean wrote: »
    teamwork to reach a goal is awesome and highly appreciated
  • Options
    seaofsorrowsseaofsorrows Member Posts: 10,918 Arc User
    Yeah, if you have anything at T6.. anything.. and Mark 12 items you can rip through the story stuff with little to no effort at all.

I have an alt that I made but never really played, I just started taking her through the Delta stuff and she has no problem at all. Everything is Mark 12, not one single gear upgrade on her and it's still way more then you would ever need. The enemies do have more HP, that is very true, but it just means it takes a few seconds longer to drop them. On Normal difficulty you won't even get touched.

The patrols get a bit tedious, but overall there are some pretty fun missions and some fairly good story. It's worth playing through, some of the missions give some really nice rewards as well.
    Insert witty signature line here.
  • Options
    dalnar83dalnar83 Member Posts: 2,420 Arc User
    edited August 2015
    Very doable and enjoyable actually. As someone who did them week ago to lvl up new toon, I enjoyed my way to 60. I did that in a T5U ship with mk X gear and some stuff I gathered along the previous missions, hardly good geared ship.
    "Cryptic Studio’s Jack Emmert (2010): Microtransactions are the biggest bunch of nonsense. I like paying one fee and not worrying about it – like my cellphone. The world’s biggest MMO isn’t item based, even though the black market item GDP is bigger than Russia … microtransactions make me want to die.”
  • Options
    mustrumridcully0mustrumridcully0 Member Posts: 12,963 Arc User
    I suck at ground combat, so I find the Heralds a bit annoying. Challenging it's ultimately not - because you can just respawn, or let your BOFFs revive you.​​
    Star Trek Online Advancement: You start with lowbie gear, you end with Lobi gear.
  • Options
    foxrockssocksfoxrockssocks Member Posts: 2,482 Arc User
    It depends on if you're flying a cannon boat or not and if you're on normal difficulty or not. Cannon ships have a lot of serious problems with Heralds, and to some extent the Vaudwaar too. Also the jump between normal and advanced is absolutely huge.

Ground is a bit different, and honestly certain Vaudwaar and Heralds are broken on the ground at any difficulty, but you can probably get through it on normal without too much problem.