test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Pros and cons of XP boosts

you know. the go from level 50 to 60 type thing. the blizzard game does it a lot.

seems to me that even of yo get all the wonderful toys, you end up missing out... like still not having the reps stuff done.

thoughts?
We Want Vic Fontaine

Comments

• Options
    sqwishedsqwished Member Posts: 1,475 Bug Hunter
    reyan01 wrote: »
    XP boosts are not worth the money in my opinion - they offer such a negliable 'bonus' that they're a bit of a waste of time and I certainly wouldn't buy them (though would use them if won in a lockbox or promotion).

I've gotta agree with Reyan01 on this one. The XP boosts are a waste of time and resources that could be better used else where. Personally I don't know anyone that's purchased them or why their even available for purchase for zen, considering the pitiful boosts they provide.
    Oh, it's not broken? We can soon fix that!

• Options
    dareaudareau Member Posts: 2,390 Arc User
    I'll agree, but for a different reason...

Consider this: Due to the non-expiration of the actual boost, and the fact that it will "hand out" the full limit of the XP contained within, an "XP Boost" isn't any sort of "bonus", it's a flat out buy of XP, with "timegated release" in the fact that you need to earn 5x the XP contained within the booster to "release" it all...

With that fact in mind, let's look at some hard numbers:

It takes what, 165k, XP to "earn" a spec point.
    At 975 zen for 10,000 XP, it'll take 17 of these packs to "buy out" a spec point. Ahem, that's $165.75 (US)...
    Nevermind the month or longer (one spec point/week) that it takes the "average casual player" to earn the 5 spec points that would trigger the full release of that 6th...

And OP, the reps were initially conceived to be a "variant endgame advancement track" - in that they were conceived when the cap was 50, specializations didn't exist, and that's where you "advanced" you character. They were never designed to be the "content" that bridged you from 50 to 60...

Has anyone tried this with, say, a Delta? Cut out of the storyline at 50, and used the rep system and it's mark earning areas to advance to 60?​​
    Detecting big-time "anti-old-school" bias here. NX? Lobi. TOS/TMP Connie? Super-promotion-box. (aka the two hardest ways to get ships) Excelsior & all 3 TNG "big hero" ships? C-Store. Please Equalize...

To rob a line: [quote: Mariemaia Kushrenada] Forum Posting is much like an endless waltz. The three beats of war, peace and revolution continue on forever. However, opinions will change upon the reading of my post.[/quote]
  • Options
    frontline2042frontline2042 Member Posts: 219 Arc User
    dareau wrote: »
    I'll agree, but for a different reason...<snip>

Has anyone tried this with, say, a Delta? Cut out of the storyline at 50, and used the rep system and it's mark earning areas to advance to 60?​​

Doesn't work. One of my delta dudes is at 56. Stopped the story after finishing the arcs required for the full reward unlock (I hit 50 during the cardassian arc) and just cycled queues to grind up rep. I'm t5 in everything but iconian (granted I used the sponsorship tokens to accelerate my rep).
    Ignorance is an obstacle not an excuse
    Let the stupid suffer
  • Options
    annemarie30annemarie30 Member Posts: 2,608 Arc User
    yeah i got the email for the please come back we have cookies and a ship
    evidently i can boost one toon to 60. I'm thinking I might want to get to 60 on my own and then use the boost to max up toward spec points??
    We Want Vic Fontaine
  • Options
    leviathan99#2867 leviathan99 Member Posts: 7,747 Arc User
    If you're talking C-Store boosts? Yes, they're not the best value.

If you're talking lockbox boosts, well... You get them anyway.

If you're talking the old X hour skill boosts on the exchange? I'd say they were a decent value, in hindsight.

If you're talking the 50-60 boost? TAKE IT. There are some gaps you'd ordinarily have to grind through in most cases. Take it and then play through the story content at your own pace while queueing up for missions. If you're worried about rep, queue up for Crystalline Catastrophe, progress your Starship Mastery on your Guardian Cruiser.

And buy the old 1 hour Skill boost off the exchange for 7 million EC before you use it. My guess would be you'll get 20% extra XP. That's over one full additional spec point if it works. Spec points are like levels earned at endgame. The first 10 come easy. The others take about a week for an average daily player, I'd guess, who doesn't farm or optimize for it. And you also get one a week from Featured Episodes. You'll be shooting for about 100 of them.

My advice as a new player is to take Command first. At 15 spec points invested there, you'll get a reduced cooldown on Fleet Support and no longer need low health to use it. And at the high end of that tree, you'll get 2.5% bonus skill points for every member on your team, up to 10% boosted. Which you'll appreciate later. Command didn't exist when I started so I haven't been able to level it yet. But any new player/character, I'd advise to do Command first. Followed by Intel or pilot based on playstyle. Commando isn't really all there yet though if they expand it to a full tree, it may prove good.