test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

What happened to the exchange?!

whitewhale80whitewhale80 Member Posts: 86 Arc User
I must admit that I took an almost 2 year break from STO and I'm currently only just catching up on things so forgive me if I have missed anything obvious!

Have just started a new character and decided to hit the exchange to see what items are available, it is after all a large resource of bargains and rare items and perfect for fitting out any tier of ship... Or not.

Mk 4 uncommon stuff (The few items that there are!) suddenly going for several hundred thousand a piece? Warp cores in the millions? If they have been a frugal a player up to that point may have 30/40 thousand EC to hand, who on earth would want to blow that much money for an item that will be obsolete in a few hours of gaming once the next rank is hit?

What used to be a massive and competitive market now contains few items with extortionate prices, my RA character still rocks a mk2 phaser relay as the replacement consoles are more then the national debt of Zimbabwe. What the hell happened?

Comments

• Options
    flash525flash525 Member Posts: 5,441 Arc User
    Supply & Demand I'm afraid. I wouldn't imagine many people are starting anew lately; most are focused on grinding their higher level characters, thus there are fewer low-end items up for sale, which naturally increases their price (because of their sudden rarity).
    attachment.php?attachmentid=42556&d=1518094222
  • Options
    peterconnorfirstpeterconnorfirst Member Posts: 6,225 Arc User
    edited August 2015
    We have a new upgrade system in place. You can upgrade any item linear up to mk14 and parallel in quality up to epic/gold.

We have a new crafting system in place as well. Through bad decision making cryptic sided the mods on crafted items can’t be selected and are random. Crafting mk12 stuff is expensive. Mk2 stuff for free.

So what you see are the results of carfted items with partial upgrade results.

For PVE guns with Crit D x 3 / PEN are probably most desirable and peeps try to manufacture those in the lower mk levels because its cheaper there.

They put the stuff they don’t need on the exchange for you to get.

It’s either pay for what you want or manufacture it yourself under a horrible nerve consuming system off dullness.

Edit: Also, welcome back to STO.
    animated.gif
    Looking for a fun PvE fleet? Join us at Omega Combat Division today.
    felisean wrote: »
    teamwork to reach a goal is awesome and highly appreciated
  • Options
    lucho80lucho80 Member Posts: 6,600 Bug Hunter
    And there is too much EC floating around lately, so inflation has hit the Exchange also. I've found some nice areas where I can make an easy million for absolutely no effort spent.
  • Options
    seaofsorrowsseaofsorrows Member Posts: 10,918 Arc User
    edited August 2015
    Very strange, I have never seen prices as high as the OP is seeing on such low mark gear.

The good news is that at that level, almost every story mission you do gives you at least one piece of gear that you can probably use. Your other option is that if you have any friends or fleet members that can craft, they can probably make whatever you need. Making a Mark IV item is extremely cheap so they can probably get you what you need for pretty much nothing.

Is there one particular item you're having problems getting? You mentioned Warp Cores in the millions? At Mark IV?

If you need it, I can probably craft whatever you need and send it to you. Just message me your charcter@handle and I can make it for you.
    Insert witty signature line here.
  • Options
    tempus64tempus64 Member Posts: 806 Arc User
    Yep, STO appears to have becoming EC online where a large portion of your time has to be spent making the EC. Thing is, as you're leveling up, you can get by just fine buying things like warp cores at a mark lower from the ship req officer and then supplement that with the mission rewards. For consoles, you can just pick up some garbage common or uncommon. Once you get beyond needing things like mk vi to mk viii, there's more drop stuff available as it's outside that crafting window.

There's also no reason why someone should only have 30k-40k. You do all the material scans, and because of the twisted logic of a lot of the players in the game, you sell most of those materials like z-particles for some hefty EC. Do the R&D requisition every 4 days for 1000 dil and sell most of that. It's actually a far better conversion of dil to EC than doing keys. You can sell materials, use the proceeds to buy components for crafting if you wanted to, and in most cases end up with a profit.

And of course once you hit level 10/11, you can grind doffs and have the EC you need to buy some of the more expensive things.

This is basically what I do with a new toon and haven't had much of a problem not having adequate gear while leveling up to 50.
  • Options
    annemarie30annemarie30 Member Posts: 2,610 Arc User
    you can get purple mk 2 stuff dirt cheap for the most part the question is can you live with the available mods?
    We Want Vic Fontaine
  • Options
    mustrumridcully0mustrumridcully0 Member Posts: 12,963 Arc User
    I must admit that I took an almost 2 year break from STO and I'm currently only just catching up on things so forgive me if I have missed anything obvious!

Have just started a new character and decided to hit the exchange to see what items are available, it is after all a large resource of bargains and rare items and perfect for fitting out any tier of ship... Or not.

Mk 4 uncommon stuff (The few items that there are!) suddenly going for several hundred thousand a piece? Warp cores in the millions? If they have been a frugal a player up to that point may have 30/40 thousand EC to hand, who on earth would want to blow that much money for an item that will be obsolete in a few hours of gaming once the next rank is hit?

What used to be a massive and competitive market now contains few items with extortionate prices, my RA character still rocks a mk2 phaser relay as the replacement consoles are more then the national debt of Zimbabwe. What the hell happened?
    The upgrade system changed a lot in the perceived value of items.

The upgrade system allows reliably to improve the Mark of items (for the cost of some Dilithium usually), but a quality upgrade (from uncommon to rare, from rare to very rare and so on) is random with only a low probability. That makes very rare (or better) Mark II items highly desirable, as upgrading them from Mark II to Mark XIV is guaranteed, and for every time you increase the mark, there is a chance that you improve the quality. Once an item is at Mark XIV, it takes a lot of upgrades before you have another quality improvement proc.

So people look for a low mark item that has the modifiers they want, and they upgrade in the hope that they eventually get the item to epic quality.​​
    Star Trek Online Advancement: You start with lowbie gear, you end with Lobi gear.
  • Options
    lucho80lucho80 Member Posts: 6,600 Bug Hunter
    To the OP. If you need purple gear that doesn't involve dilithium just PM me. I have level 20 in all the R&D schools between all my toons and a minimum level 15 in all. Making purple gear is cheap.
  • Options
    whitewhale80whitewhale80 Member Posts: 86 Arc User
    Thanks for the offer but I'm just cruising through the game as is. Ta. It's just bizarre seeing mid tier stuff going for amounts that no player who has just reached that level would ever approach. It also gets cheaper at higher tiers, you can fully equip a RA upper ship with a set of common+ beam arrays for the cost of a single mk vi rare beam array. It has all gone very weird.

I suppose it's a side effect of few new players populating those tiers and the R+D system knee capping demand at low levels.
  • Options
    pottsey5gpottsey5g Member Posts: 4,182 Arc User
    edited August 2015
    Thanks for the offer but I'm just cruising through the game as is. Ta. It's just bizarre seeing mid tier stuff going for amounts that no player who has just reached that level would ever approach. It also gets cheaper at higher tiers, you can fully equip a RA upper ship with a set of common+ beam arrays for the cost of a single mk vi rare beam array. It has all gone very weird.

I suppose it's a side effect of few new players populating those tiers and the R+D system knee capping demand at low levels.

Lower level items cost more as they are better to upgrade to Ultra rare or gold level then higher level items. Upgrading a mk 2 item with the right mods to Ultra rare or higher is better then a mk 14 item with the same mods. Hence why the low level items cost more.
  • Options
    theraven2378theraven2378 Member Posts: 5,990 Arc User
    lucho80 wrote: »
    And there is too much EC floating around lately, so inflation has hit the Exchange also. I've found some nice areas where I can make an easy million for absolutely no effort spent.

Contraband and Z-particles are always profitable
    NMXb2ph.png
      "The meaning of victory is not to merely defeat your enemy but to destroy him, to completely eradicate him from living memory, to leave no remnant of his endeavours, to crush utterly his achievement and remove from all record his every trace of existence. From that defeat no enemy can ever recover. That is the meaning of victory."
      -Lord Commander Solar Macharius
    • Options
      jerichoredoranjerichoredoran Member Posts: 195 Arc User
      1. STO doesnt have level zones, everything levels with me so I effectively never get low level gear that I could list.
      2. Exchange slots are limited and the handling is a hassle. Worthless items are just not worth my time or the slot especially as chances to actually sell them are low.
      3. STO items have no easy percievable value and exchange gives you nothing but current offers. So most people list items simply somewhere close to the current price without further thinking about it.
      4. There is a vast availability of this gear right in the missions you do and the leveling curve is so steap that most people would buy anything anyway.

Add in the already named crafted MK II + a single upgrade kit already applied which simply level with you and that most low level chars are twinks of high level chars...
      This process is standard for every game without continious influx of new players. It is actually more suprising that there are any offers at all. They maybe come from the few new players that think their MK IVs must be more valuable then the other MK IIs.
    • Options
      davefenestratordavefenestrator Member Posts: 10,530 Arc User
      There is no need to buy any gear while you level up if you are playing at normal difficulty. Story mission rewards and loot drops give you more than enough. Once you reach 50, white and green Mark XII gear goes for close to the vendor price and is "good enough" for normal difficulty.
    • Options
      aoax10aoax10 Member Posts: 271 Arc User
      The game is not good to newly created toons. I feel bad for new people who start loving the game and get to the point where they are too broke to have fun with 'the best'. The exchange is a newcomers worst enemy....unless you have a big wallet and 'exchange' real money with STO currency.
    • Options
      bernatkbernatk Member Posts: 1,089 Bug Hunter
      Those are "low level" crafted goods with exceptional mods for endgame players.
      (Yep the looks can be deceiving lol...)
      Tck7dQ2.jpg
      Dahar Master Mary Sue                                               Fleet Admiral Bloody Mary
    • Options
      edited August 2015
      "The best" only matters for Elite STFs and PUG PVP. I've had hundreds of hours of fun without owning Epic CrtD^3 Pen weapons, and you can too!
    • Options
      daveynydaveyny Member Posts: 8,227 Arc User
      edited August 2015
      OP, what do you need?
      I'll make it for you at a reasonable cost.
      (no guaranteed mods)
      I post low level stuff on the exchange for under 100k all the time.
      I do it mostly to gain points in the R&D skills.
      I've never played the game to make a killin'.
      At the moment, I'm mostly playing Proxima@DaveyNY (Talaxian Delta Recruit).
      Look me up in the game or message me.
      If she can't make the item ya need, I've got two other toons who between them, have all the R&D's up to level 15.
      B)
      STO Member since February 2009.
      I Was A Trekkie Before It Was Cool ... Sept. 8th, 1966 ... Not To Mention Before Most Folks Around Here Were Born!
      Forever a STO Veteran-Minion
      upside-down-banana-smiley-emoticon.gif
    • Options
      markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User
      Any and all purple gear can be upgraded, doing so with low-level items gives the best chances of getting a quality increase. Thus low mk purple items have an actual purpose.

If all you want to do is gear a lowbie.... make your own. It's not hard really. then as they gain levels you can upgrade the gear.
      -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
      My character Tsin'xing
      Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
    • Options
      atalossataloss Member Posts: 563 Arc User
      When Plasmonic leech is 80 million credits, something isn't right with the exchange. Everything in this game seems to have insane prices. I wonder when will the Star Trek online bubble burst?
      One day Cryptic will be free from their Perfect World overlord. Until that day comes, they will continue to pamper the whales of this game, and ignore everyone that isn't a whale.
    • Options
      markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User
      Supply and demand. Leech comes out of a lock-box, and those aren't free to open.
      -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
      My character Tsin'xing
      Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
    • Options
      And you don't "need" a leech except for a drain boat or maybe for PVP PUG. There are many +power consoles and cores, plus everyone gets a free Sontaran for the Efficiency trait.
    • Options
      tacticalrooktacticalrook Member Posts: 810 Arc User
      And you don't "need" a leech except for a drain boat or maybe for PVP PUG. There are many +power consoles and cores, plus everyone gets a free Sontaran for the Efficiency trait.
      This legit made me "lol".
      /channel_join grind
    • Options
      swamarianswamarian Member Posts: 1,506 Arc User
      Supply and demand. Leech comes out of a lock-box, and those aren't free to open.

It comes out of an OLD lock box. All other things being equal, there aren't very many people opening the lock box that it came out of, which of course is going to lower the availability and jack up the price.