test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

MACO 2-pc bonus Q

The MACO 2-pc Magnetoplasma Relays has a "+5% Power Recharge Speed"

Presuming that's a boost to EPS, is that +5% a percentage of the PTR speed or is it a straight addition to the PTR percentage value?

If that makes sense. I mean, is 5% even worth trying to own this set?

Comments

• tom61stotom61sto Member Posts: 3,635 Arc User
    That actually means BOff ability recharge speed, not anything to deal with power levels. Shaves about 2 seconds off Hazzard Emitters, so not a huge amount, but can be handy.
  • iconiansiconians Member Posts: 6,987 Arc User
    Yeah, it's bridge officer ability recharge speed. It's just... poorly described like so much else in the game.
    ExtxpTp.jpg
  • cmdrscarletcmdrscarlet Member Posts: 5,137 Arc User
    What the ... I presumed too much it seems. Thank you for the clarification!
  • warmaker001bwarmaker001b Member Posts: 9,205 Arc User
    edited August 2015
    iconians wrote: »
    Yeah, it's bridge officer ability recharge speed. It's just... poorly described like so much else in the game.

The tooltips, descriptors in this game are so horrible. Which is stronger? The damage bonus that says it increases your damage by 3% or the one that says it increases it by 30%? The actual answers will surprise many. I'm trying to increase my torpedo damage. What's better, the Adapted MACO/KHG 2 piece +25% torpedo damage bonus or the 2 piece Nukara Bonus of +2.5%? B) For a new player trying to get a grasp of "What is" and "What isn't" it's a big confusing mess. Hell, there are veteran players that wouldn't be able to tell.
    XzRTofz.gif
  • iconiansiconians Member Posts: 6,987 Arc User
    I'm a veteran player and I can't tell sometimes.

Do I want additional Starship Hull Repair or do I want a buff to Hull Healing? Do I want Starship Energy Weapons buffed or do I want a buff to all Energy Weapon damage? Do I want Drain Resistance or Energy Drain Resistance? Do I want Shield Hardness increased or do I want Shield Damage Resistance increased? Do I want to debuff their damage resistance or do I want additional armor penetration? Do I want Damage Resistance to everything or just whenever I'm damaged enough? Do I want to be immune to damage for 5 seconds or do I want to placate everything around me for 5 seconds when I'm damaged enough?

Do I want to buff my Auxiliary that buffs my Science based shield heals, or do I want to buff my Shield power that buffs my Engineering shield heals? Do I want to dodge incoming damage from "Give Your All" or do I want Damage Resistance? Which is more viable? Do I want to buff PartGens or do I want to buff Exotic Damage?

And don't get me started on the semantics behind "deployables".
    ExtxpTp.jpg
  • majortiraomegamajortiraomega Member Posts: 2,214 Arc User
    Actually, the MACO two piece reduces the cooldowns of EVERYTHING in space by 5%. This includes reputation T5 abilities, captain abilities, console abilities, bridge officer abilities, and specialization abilities. It also stacks with the T4 Intel trait, Opportunistic (though that one doesn't affect boff abilities).
    --->Ground PvP Concerns Directory 4.0
    --->Ground Combat General Bugs Directory
    Real join date: March 2012 / PvP Veteran since May 2012 (Ground and Space)
  • rmy1081rmy1081 Member Posts: 2,840 Arc User
    Actually, the MACO two piece reduces the cooldowns of EVERYTHING in space by 5%. This includes reputation T5 abilities, captain abilities, console abilities, bridge officer abilities, and specialization abilities. It also stacks with the T4 Intel trait, Opportunistic (though that one doesn't affect boff abilities).

yeah and it also stacks with the Excelsior 2pc set and the Sustained Radiant Field console.

The thing is, just like @iconians examples, some things that speed up powers take off time from the timer and others just cause the timer to tic faster.
    Wow. This looks powerful, why is it not in use more often?

For the Eceslior 2-pc, if Cryptic had updated the Transwarp Computer to be anything more than what it is, then it would be worth slotting.

But that's another thread (probably the wishlist thread).

For the Eceslior 2-pc, if Cryptic had updated the Transwarp Computer to be anything more than what it is, then it would be worth slotting.

But that's another thread (probably the wishlist thread).

yeah, honestly a flat +5 or +10 to each subsystem would be great. Heck, even +10 to driver coil would have been more useful since it buffs evasives and APO.

The heck? Why would it reduce the cooldowns of Reputation Active Abilities and Specialization Abilities? Those were released years after that set. I was wondering why the Tholian active seemed to be more available on my ship running MACO, now I know.

My guess is that it fell out of favor when Plasmonic Leech conflicted with the shield proc. Now that it seems that Plasmonic Leech and the MACO shields can now work together, with only minor interactions, it can be quite impressive. I'm still not sure if MACO shields and Plasmonic Leech working at the same time is a bug or not, but it's pretty fun having both on my T6 Galaxy, together I can actually hit 130/50 shield power even with almost nothing in Flow Caps during combat.

• shandypandyshandypandy Member Posts: 632 Arc User
    It also speeds up weapon firing cycles....
    giphy.gif
    Good gracious. So, can anyone confirm it does not conflict with Plasmonic Leach? I mean, I guess I could test this by watching power levels as a play, right?
  • saleh01onesaleh01one Member Posts: 80 Arc User

Wait... What? Really?
    Markus Elijah Lee - USS Skylake, Fleet Arbiter Battlecruiser T6: http://skillplanner.stoacademy.com/?build=ussskylake_8710

K'Nor - IKS Ch'Tang, Mat'Ha Raptor T6: http://skillplanner.stoacademy.com/?build=ikschtang_8710
    edited August 2015
    Good gracious. So, can anyone confirm it does not conflict with Plasmonic Leach? I mean, I guess I could test this by watching power levels as a play, right?

you only need the 2pc so you can still go deflector and engines. Leech gives a much greater boost to power levels.
    saleh01one wrote: »

Wait... What? Really?

yeah but it's only 5%. IDK what that comes out to if using the Arbiter trait.
    rmy1081 wrote: »
    you only need the 2pc so you can still go deflector and engines. Leech gives a much greater boost to power levels.

But ... the shields look sooo cool on almost any ship!

Well, that's the trick ... if it's a global 5% for almost everything on the ship including it's crew ... that's pretty wow. Not game-breaking, but nuts.
  • adamkafeiadamkafei Member Posts: 6,539 Arc User
    I would quote the patch notes if I knew which ones they changed it in but I can confirm it conflicts with leech.
    As for the Excelsior 2pc, I use it since it gives +10% recharge speed for boff skills and +15% to energy weapon damage which when using phasers and the Undine 2pc puts me just above where I was with RomPla, so there's that...
    ZiOfChe.png?1
    Hot Pursuit gives a reduction to BOff skill recharge? Regardless, that's only for seconds on a 2 minute timer. Is it really worth that?

As for the MACO/Leech thing, rats. Although I'm reading the current meta shifts away from the Assimilated 2-pc given certain criteria.
    Hot Pursuit gives a reduction to BOff skill recharge? Regardless, that's only for seconds on a 2 minute timer. Is it really worth that?

I was of the impression it was a permanent fixture, the damage buff certainly is.
    ZiOfChe.png?1
  • shandypandyshandypandy Member Posts: 632 Arc User
    rmy1081 wrote: »

It's probably why it's only ever been 5%, and seen as massively underwhelming (even if not a lot know about the firing cycle reduction): If it was a 10 or 15% reduction in everything it does now, it'd be stupidly powerful.

giphy.gif
    It's probably why it's only ever been 5%, and seen as massively underwhelming (even if not a lot know about the firing cycle reduction): If it was a 10 or 15% reduction in everything it does now, it'd be stupidly powerful.

This is probably why it is only 5% :p
  • coffeemikecoffeemike Member Posts: 942 Arc User
    I should upgrade my MACO set to MK XIV to see... I have the Adapted MACO set since I run the tac Vesta.
    If you're looking for an increase in the set buffs I wouldn't bother, they don't scale on level, you can see that in Mk 10 vs 12, provided of course you have a Mk 10.
    ZiOfChe.png?1
    adamkafei wrote: »
    I would quote the patch notes if I knew which ones they changed it in but I can confirm it conflicts with leech.

Just tested this again, and it looks like the stacking together isn't working. :/ Both buff icons will stack up, but only one will apply to power levels. I suppose it's better than the old constant flickering back and forth on each fire and hit.
    coffeemike wrote: »
    I should upgrade my MACO set to MK XIV to see... I have the Adapted MACO set since I run the tac Vesta.

Adapted MACO has an entirely different set bonus, as it's really KHG set for Feds. No cooldown reducer on it.
  • legendarylycan#5411 legendarylycan Member Posts: 37,276 Arc User
    tom61sto wrote: »
    Adapted MACO has an entirely different set bonus, as it's really KHG set for Feds. No cooldown reducer on it.

i think he knows that; he's just saying he's using adapted MACO on his vesta instead of regular MACO, most likely because it's being used as a torpedo boat (which is the only reason i can think of for using that set on a science vessel besides the pitiful aux power bonus)​​
    Like special weapons from other Star Trek games? Wondering if they can be replicated in STO even a little bit? Check this out: https://forum.arcgames.com/startrekonline/discussion/1262277/a-mostly-comprehensive-guide-to-star-trek-videogame-special-weapons-and-their-sto-equivalents

#LegalizeAwoo

A normie goes "Oh, what's this?"
    An otaku goes "UwU, what's this?"
    A furry goes "OwO, what's this?"
    A werewolf goes "Awoo, what's this?"

"It's nothing personal, I just don't feel like I've gotten to know a person until I've sniffed their crotch."
    "We said 'no' to Mr. Curiosity. We're not home. Curiosity is not welcome, it is not to be invited in. Curiosity...is bad. It gets you in trouble, it gets you killed, and more importantly...it makes you poor!"
    Passion and Serenity are one.
    I gain power by understanding both.
    In the chaos of their battle, I bring order.
    I am a shadow, darkness born from light.
    The Force is united within me.
  • coffeemikecoffeemike Member Posts: 942 Arc User
    tom61sto wrote: »

i think he knows that; he's just saying he's using adapted MACO on his vesta instead of regular MACO, most likely because it's being used as a torpedo boat (which is the only reason i can think of for using that set on a science vessel besides the pitiful aux power bonus)​​

Yep, my tac Vesta runs Gravimetric Torpedoes so GW3 plus TorpSpread and BFAW are pretty on my ship.