test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Butterfly - Remarkably awful *spoiler warning*

Comments

• omgbamf00omgbamf00 Member Posts: 97 Arc User
    I'm wondering why people are talking about the sphere builders. Sure, Tuterians may look like sphere builders, and maybe them being transdimensional in ENT can be hand-waved away. However, weren't all Tuterians already eliminated after the second incursion? Hence why the douchey Krenim's wife had to put all her knowledge into the protected computer core before she vanished?

I don't understand how this could be the beginning of the sphere builders when their "ancestors" (Tuterians) don't exist anymore thanks to the new uber-borg?
  • zellkarrathzellkarrath Member Posts: 182 Arc User
    edited August 2015
    I'm kind of a sucker for this episode because I'm a big fan of alternate timeline/what if scenarios. Each of the holodeck scenes offered their own eerie, and dark timeline that I wish we could have spent more time exploring. As for the Incursion itself? I liked the fact that the Borg got the spotlight again. While the Iconians have certainly been built up to be unstoppable, they never gave me the same chills that the Borg consistently deliver. It was also nice to get a shot at killing a certain antagonist again.

There are certainly some shortcomings to this episode though. Overall there really wasn't much game play involved in this one. Its almost all dialogue, with some pretty quick combat segments near the end. It will at least be easy to run through this episode on all of my characters later, but that's because it is awfully bare bones for game play.

Edit: Also, if this episode is in fact establishing elements from the Enterprise Temporal Cold War, then I have to say I'm intrigued. The Temporal Cold War was never really thought out or developed on within Enterprise itself, so I'm glad you guys are taking those ideas, and are trying to do something with them.
  • nightkennightken Member Posts: 2,824 Arc User
    look at the bright side,now if nog ever gets uppy we can take him down a peg by reminding him of this mess :P

if I stop posting it doesn't make you right it. just means I don't have enough rum to continue interacting with you.
  • gradiigradii Member Posts: 2,824 Arc User
    It all never happened now anyway. I'm just glad this tripe is over.

"He shall be my finest warrior, this generic man who was forced upon me.
    Like a badass I shall make him look, and in the furnace of war I shall forge him.
    he shall be of iron will and steely sinew.
    In great armour I shall clad him and with the mightiest weapons he shall be armed.
    He will be untouched by plague or disease; no sickness shall blight him.
    He shall have such tactics, strategies and machines that no foe will best him in battle.
    He is my answer to cryptic logic, he is the Defender of my Romulan Crew.
    He is Tovan Khev... and he shall know no fear."
  • ashrod63ashrod63 Member Posts: 384 Arc User
    omgbamf00 wrote: »
    I'm wondering why people are talking about the sphere builders. Sure, Tuterians may look like sphere builders, and maybe them being transdimensional in ENT can be hand-waved away. However, weren't all Tuterians already eliminated after the second incursion? Hence why the douchey Krenim's wife had to put all her knowledge into the protected computer core before she vanished?

I don't understand how this could be the beginning of the sphere builders when their "ancestors" (Tuterians) don't exist anymore thanks to the new uber-borg?

No, after the second incursion the new timeline created had the Tuterians try to escape from the uber-Borg and accidentally trapped themselves in another dimension. That explains why they are the transdimensional beings we see in Enterprise unable to return to their normal dimensions.

She put it into the computer because the Federation would never meet her species if they trapped themselves twenty years prior to the Delta Alliance forming (being well out of Voyager's original path).
  • omgbamf00omgbamf00 Member Posts: 97 Arc User
    ashrod63 wrote: »
    No, after the second incursion the new timeline created had the Tuterians try to escape from the uber-Borg and accidentally trapped themselves in another dimension. That explains why they are the transdimensional beings we see in Enterprise unable to return to their normal dimensions.

She put it into the computer because the Federation would never meet her species if they trapped themselves twenty years prior to the Delta Alliance forming (being well out of Voyager's original path).
    I can't remember everything the Krenim with the chip on his shoulder said, but the jist of it was the Tuterians didn't have time to prepare for the new uber-borg as they had with the normal borg in the original timeline. I do remember the Krenim guy saying something to the effect of "They didn't make it this time" leading me to believe they were all assimilated.

I'll have to pay more attention during next week's playthrough.
  • thay8472thay8472 Member Posts: 6,101 Arc User
    edited August 2015
    And while we're doing this L'Miren is sitting in the timeship, protected by the ship's shields going "Can't touch this!"
    2gdi5w4mrudm.png
    Typhoon Class please!
  • ashrod63ashrod63 Member Posts: 384 Arc User
    I can't remember everything the Krenim with the chip on his shoulder said, but the jist of it was the Tuterians didn't have time to prepare for the new uber-borg as they had with the normal borg in the original timeline. I do remember the Krenim guy saying something to the effect of "They didn't make it this time" leading me to believe they were all assimilated.

I'll have to pay more attention during next week's playthrough.

They were experimenting with Solanae technology. The uber-Borg appeared and they brought it into use sooner than they did originally, and just like the Solanae before them, they got trapped.
  • dheffernandheffernan Member Posts: 93 Arc User
    If this is setting the game up for the Temporal Cold War storyline...why, gods, why? That storyline was so lame the first show runner to inherit it shot it in the head.

Oh, and I would have...well, I wouldn't have done a storyline with time travel in the first place, but if I was somehow roped into it, I would have had one of the researchers say something like "unfortunately 98% of our simulations end with the Borg overrunning the galaxy". Just to highlight what a low-probability scenario their defeat was.
    @Venture-1. @Venture from City of Heroes if you remember that. Yes, that Venture. Yes, I probably trashed your MA arc. You'll have to be specific; for me it was Tuesday.
  • warmaker001bwarmaker001b Member Posts: 9,205 Arc User
    edited August 2015
    Butterfly in the skyyyyyy...
    https://youtu.be/vwrybM6tL-8
    XzRTofz.gif
  • leviathan99#2867 leviathan99 Member Posts: 7,747 Arc User
    solax79 wrote: »
    The overall story of the episode and the layout was sloppy to say the least. What irritated me most was how everyone was reminded that they needed approval from the Alliance governments before doing anything, especially since everyone at the research base has been banging their heads against the wall with all the simulations. And then one passable outcome had everyone at the research base go: "YOLO-Swag, let's save the day!" I was playing and just like, "wait, we're actually using the weapon now?!"

That being said, I did like/appreciate what we got out of the episode, both game play and arc progression. We got to see what the research process was like, and with it understand how delicate things are. The combat was good, which is always a plus. And the end result had everyone doubting if using the time weapon is a good idea, which they should've been this whole time. And it does create a little suspense as to how the end of the war will play out.

It was a sloppy episode, much like the rest of the Iconian War arc has been. But it was good for the story arc, and a solid lead in for the next episode.

I think what we got here was 2-3 episodes worth of story that they compressed both to wrap up this arc and so that the reset button would deposit us back at the beginning (because deleting several missions would make it confusing what got erased).

There are ways I would have suggested cleaning this up. One would have been to have a montage in the middle. "Six months later" type thing. As jarring as it would be, I think that type of thing would probably be called for in more missions.

Time is never going to advance in real time. Some story developments require passage of time or are eased by offscreen developments. Especially when the template for game missions is episodes and the shows frequently covered days or weeks.

If the tutorial of the game took place in 2404 and ended with a montage and "Five Years Later" across the screen, the rapid promotions would be eased quite a bit. Here I felt like we needed some kind of montage between the experiments we helped with and the decision to use the weapon. I know those can take a long time to develop but ideally they'd have dev tools in place to make certain kinds of montages/cutscenes easier to do, in particular to showcase passage of time. I think it would enhance the story content considerably to throw in a few "Three days later" type moments.

Maybe even develop a simpler conceit like giving us a distance to cover by walking/flying while a "Captain's Log" from Nog plays.

Instead of the "heat of the moment" decision to fire the beam through the gateway, I almost would have preferred, say, a trip through the alternate timeline's sector space as a mission component. A headline pops up after we leave Romulus system space that says "Three weeks later..." while narration plays from Nog that says something like, "Nog's Log, Supplemental. We've been trapped in this timeline for three weeks and the odds look grim. We have engines back online and we've managed to avoid the Borg patrols. We think we have found a way to restore 98% of the timeline and this requires we make another incursion at the XYZ system, etc. etc."

Plus, selfishly, I think having the alternate universe sector space as a mission map would be a lot of fun for exploration's sake.
  • kyrrokkyrrok Member Posts: 1,352 Arc User
    I seem to recall in one of Geko's last interviews with P1, he said he provided many of the plot points for the Iconian story.

That explains a lot.
  • robdmcrobdmc Member Posts: 1,619 Arc User
    I think the core has a flux capacitor.

http://i.imgur.com/lManYPm.png

When are we getting the Delorean?
  • vengefuldjinnvengefuldjinn Member Posts: 1,520 Arc User
    edited August 2015
    xiaoping88 wrote: »
    Did anyone notice that the wiped out species were Sphere Builders?

I am baffled this went over everyones head apparently... or I am looking at the wrong threads.

AND the sphere builders were a faction of the temporal cold war.....

"The Sphere Builders had a technology which allowed them to examine alternate timelines, allowing them to discover the probable outcomes and consequences of their actions. Through this technology they learned that their ambition to invade the galaxy would be stopped by the Federation. To prevent this they plotted to destroy the Federation before it formed by wiping out Humanity in the 22nd century. They appeared to members of the Xindi following the Xindi Civil War in the 21st century and guided them to habitable planets and resources, saving the Xindi from extinction and establishing themselves as allies to the Xindi, earning themselves the title of Guardians. This position allowed the Sphere Builders to manipulate the Xindi in the 22nd century, making them believe Humans would be responsible for future destruction of the Xindi"

http://memory-beta.wikia.com/wiki/Sphere_Builder

https://youtu.be/XflgRb2Dxwg

Infact, isn't the war with the sphere builders supposed to happen in the distant future? In that battle the Enterprise J fought in?

Maybe they are the "others" working with the Iconians.

Post edited by vengefuldjinn on
    tumblr_o2aau3b7nh1rkvl19o1_400.gif

thay8472 wrote: »
    And while we're doing this L'Miren is sitting in the timeship, protected by the ship's shields going "Can't touch this!"
    dheffernan wrote: »
    If this is setting the game up for the Temporal Cold War storyline...why, gods, why? That storyline was so lame the first show runner to inherit it shot it in the head.

Oh, and I would have...well, I wouldn't have done a storyline with time travel in the first place, but if I was somehow roped into it, I would have had one of the researchers say something like "unfortunately 98% of our simulations end with the Borg overrunning the galaxy". Just to highlight what a low-probability scenario their defeat was.

I think it was only a bad idea FOR A PREQUEL.

It would have been a fine idea for a post-TNG show. The problem with TCW was that it was two concepts that meshed poorly when paired with a gritty prequel. Now if the show had been in the 29th century, it would have been okay.

And this game is now moving on from being a straight TNG sequel to being the prequel to Relativity. And TCW fits that better than it fits Enterprise.

Likewise, the problem with Voyager's time travel episodes wasn't that they happened or that there were so many of them: it's that they belonged more in a series about time travel. Meanwhile, nobody gets upset about Doctor Who having too much time travel (except for some serious Pertwee fans, amirite?) because that's the premise of the show. Where we're going now, time travel is the premise of "the show" not a detour like it was in Enterprise or Voyager.
  • toivatoiva Member Posts: 3,276 Arc User
    solax79 wrote: »
    The overall story of the episode and the layout was sloppy to say the least. What irritated me most was how everyone was reminded that they needed approval from the Alliance governments before doing anything, especially since everyone at the research base has been banging their heads against the wall with all the simulations. And then one passable outcome had everyone at the research base go: "YOLO-Swag, let's save the day!" I was playing and just like, "wait, we're actually using the weapon now?!"

That being said, I did like/appreciate what we got out of the episode, both game play and arc progression. We got to see what the research process was like, and with it understand how delicate things are. The combat was good, which is always a plus. And the end result had everyone doubting if using the time weapon is a good idea, which they should've been this whole time. And it does create a little suspense as to how the end of the war will play out.

It was a sloppy episode, much like the rest of the Iconian War arc has been. But it was good for the story arc, and a solid lead in for the next episode.

So much this. I'm glad the NPCs finally realised what every player knew since the start: Using the ship is a frakking bad idea.
    But picking one simulation out of three presented and having the use of the actual ship approved in a couple minutes by Commander Jarok, Nog and the player is ridiculous. D'Tan didn't have a say in the change that would - in the best of cases - make him fight against the Tal Shiar again and thus erasing all of his work.
    TOIVA, Toi Vaxx, Toia Vix, Toveg, T'vritha, To Vrax: Bring in the Allegiance class.
    Toi'Va, Ti'vath, Toivia, Ty'Vris, Tia Vex, Toi'Virth: Add Tier 6 KDF Carrier and Raider.
    Tae'Va, T'Vaya, To'Var, Tevra, T'Vira, To'Vrak: Give us Asylums for Romulans.

Don't make ARC mandatory! Keep it optional only!
    xiaoping88 wrote: »
    Did anyone notice that the wiped out species were Sphere Builders?

I am baffled this went over everyones head apparently... or I am looking at the wrong threads.

AND the sphere builders were a faction of the temporal cold war.....

"The Sphere Builders had a technology which allowed them to examine alternate timelines, allowing them to discover the probable outcomes and consequences of their actions. Through this technology they learned that their ambition to invade the galaxy would be stopped by the Federation. To prevent this they plotted to destroy the Federation before it formed by wiping out Humanity in the 22nd century. They appeared to members of the Xindi following the Xindi Civil War in the 21st century and guided them to habitable planets and resources, saving the Xindi from extinction and establishing themselves as allies to the Xindi, earning themselves the title of Guardians. This position allowed the Sphere Builders to manipulate the Xindi in the 22nd century, making them believe Humans would be responsible for future destruction of the Xindi"

So we have a race that already plotted to destroy the Federation, "That has the ability and the technology which allows them to "examine alternate timelines allowing them to discover the probable outcomes and consequences of their actions. Through this technology they learned that their ambition to invade the galaxy would be stopped by the Federation"

I don't know how they tie into all of this, BUT they are part of the temporal cold war and they tried to get the Xindi to exterminate earth. Maybe they are the "others" working with the Iconians.

Maybe they are manipulating the Iconians like they did the Xindi... Just a theory.

Infact, isn't the war with the sphere builders supposed to happen in the distant future? In that battle the Enterprise J fought in?

Not even THAT distant. Somewhere between 91 and 190 years out from the game.

This is the path Trek is on based on the futures we've seen. At some point, the switch flips and it becomes more about time exploration than space exploration. By the 29th century, that's in full force. It's sort of the "TNG era" of "Time Trek". In the 26th century, the TCW is sort of the "Romulan War/TOS" of "Time Trek". And where we're at right now is kind of the "Enterprise era" of "Time Trek". We're the first wave of an era that will eclipse and expand on the mission of space travel to include temporal patrols and the like. And I can dig it because it takes us from being "The TNG era only everyone's old" to being the pioneers who pave the way for Braxton and Daniels.

Not just the Sphere Builders, the game can begin to get into Berlinghoff Rasmussen, the Na'kuhl, the Vorgons, the Tox Uthat. Rich veins of lore. More "The Prequel to the 26th, 29th, and 32nd century" and less "epilogue to the 23rd and 24th". Although the convenient thing is, once we're routinely patrolling and exploring time, maybe it won't take a weird one off like Night of the Comet for us to visit the 23rd century. Maybe it's just another place a captain can go in a typical patrol. Hit up the temporal duckblind for old uniforms and a research assignment and go visit Kirk. Take a tour of the Dominion War posing as a Starfleet Marine.

We're already Fleet Admirals, as much as I sometimes have mixed feelings about that. And people have joked, "What next? We become Federation Council? Klingon High Council? President? Emperor?" And one alternative to that is, we become like Daniels or Braxton. Instead of just moving up further in political rank, we start to become explorers and overseers of operations that extend beyond space.
  • pigeonofclaypigeonofclay Member Posts: 142 Arc User

This is the path Trek is on based on the futures we've seen. At some point, the switch flips and it becomes more about time exploration than space exploration. By the 29th century, that's in full force. It's sort of the "TNG era" of "Time Trek". In the 26th century, the TCW is sort of the "Romulan War/TOS" of "Time Trek". And where we're at right now is kind of the "Enterprise era" of "Time Trek". We're the first wave of an era that will eclipse and expand on the mission of space travel to include temporal patrols and the like. And I can dig it because it takes us from being "The TNG era only everyone's old" to being the pioneers who pave the way for Braxton and Daniels.

Not just the Sphere Builders, the game can begin to get into Berlinghoff Rasmussen, the Na'kuhl, the Vorgons, the Tox Uthat. Rich veins of lore. More "The Prequel to the 26th, 29th, and 32nd century" and less "epilogue to the 23rd and 24th". Although the convenient thing is, once we're routinely patrolling and exploring time, maybe it won't take a weird one off like Night of the Comet for us to visit the 23rd century. Maybe it's just another place a captain can go in a typical patrol. Hit up the temporal duckblind for old uniforms and a research assignment and go visit Kirk. Take a tour of the Dominion War posing as a Starfleet Marine.

We're already Fleet Admirals, as much as I sometimes have mixed feelings about that. And people have joked, "What next? We become Federation Council? Klingon High Council? President? Emperor?" And one alternative to that is, we become like Daniels or Braxton. Instead of just moving up further in political rank, we start to become explorers and overseers of operations that extend beyond space.

DIBS on the spaceship shaped like a 1960s Police Box! B)

• makocallowaymakocalloway Member Posts: 455 Arc User
    i liked it.
    5rFUCPd.png

DIBS on the spaceship shaped like a 1960s Police Box! B)

Bigger on the inside spaceships are a part of it according to that Enterprise episode they did as a Doctor Who tribute. They even pushed at one point to make that time pod take the form of a police call box before the producers told 'em no.

But I wouldn't be surprised to see that ship in a lockbox soon. It'll be awesome to have something shuttle sized with a Unimatrix interior.
  • jorantomalakjorantomalak Member Posts: 7,133 Arc User
    I found the mission short and a tad boring tbh

But then again it was imo the most trek like mission ive experianced in this game thus far and any mission that lets me lay the smack down on hakeevs candy *ahem* quite , well i would say overall not bad just a tad on the short side.

Cloaking borg vessels how..quaint

Oh and cryptic do tell me we get to kill Noye , i find him most disagreeable and would love nothing more then to see him ejected from which ever airlock you deem worthy....maybe we can shoot the time weapon at him?

Well he is far more annoying then Ole Toby Khev atleast toby is an agreeable lad
  • gulberatgulberat Member Posts: 5,505 Arc User

Look at the ship that gets shot up in that video at 1:25...it has a passing resemblance to Annorax' weapon ship. Interesting that.

Oh, and this'll make the KDF side crazy: notice the Klingons are explicitly named as members of the Federation in the 29th century...

Christian Gaming Community Fleets--Faith, Fun, and Fellowship! See the website and PM for more. :-)
    Proudly F2P.  Signature image by gulberat. Avatar image by balsavor.deviantart.com.
  • lunastolunasto Member Posts: 774 Arc User
    I won a free spec point and some other goodies, so I was pleased in the end. :)
    Lightningdealwithit.gifNew Lunar Republic
    "Where monsters rampage, I'm there to take them down! Where treasure glitters, I'm there to claim it! Where an enemy rises to face me, victory will be mine!" -Lina Inverse
  • jorantomalakjorantomalak Member Posts: 7,133 Arc User
    lunasto wrote: »
    I won a free spec point and some other goodies, so I was pleased in the end. :)

Luna? your sig makes me wanna fire up my Xbox 360 and binge play FF 13.....nice sig btw :)
  • medalionemissarymedalionemissary Member Posts: 612 Arc User
    This ep was ironically VERY Star Trek... they even did a half-attempt at injecting a tear-jerker element with the Tuterian wife and that TRIBBLE Krenim
    Deep Space Nine in HD, make it so!
  • foxrockssocksfoxrockssocks Member Posts: 2,482 Arc User
    I thought the episode was good, except for many details and plot points.

Jarok's whining. Really a couple comments would have been fine, but she goes on, and on, and on. I get it. Mistakes were made. Now be a professional starship captain.

We go from a holodeck simulation immediately to, sure lets TRIBBLE up time!

Borg with cloaking devices is nonsensical. We already have assimilated Klingon ships in game. We already have assimilated Romulans in game. Why is it the Borg decide in an alternate timeline to use cloak when they don't already? And why do they even bother cloaking around a planet they own entirely when it is readily apparent many structures are not cloaked at all?

Removing a transwarp gate somehow fixes everything? That makes zero sense, especially since the Borg almost certainly built it AFTER assimilating Romulus. It makes even less sense if the entire network is destroyed, because wait, lets remember something critical here, we used that technology to make our own gates in the "original" timeline.

• mhall85mhall85 Member Posts: 2,852 Arc User1
    edited August 2015
    Yeah, I enjoyed the episode... got to use my anti-Borg away team for the first time. A few thoughts:

1. Wasn't the Annorax Timeship outside of time, and therefore, impervious to conventional weapons? SO HOW DID THE SHIP GET DAMAGED?!

2. The Sphere Builders thing makes ZERO sense to me, and no amount of hand-waving will fix it. Think about it... we "left" our original timeline, which already contained the Sphere Builders (since the game acknowledges Enterprise, much to my dismay)... and in the process of leaving Borg Land (I agree with others... erasing one gate fixes everything??)... we're now in a timeline where we created the Sphere Builders?! How? What? Huh?

3. I didn't get to fight the Dominion. :disappointed: DON'T TEASE ME!!!!

4. MY THEORY: This is all a fever dream, and we're really lying on an assimilation table on Romulus. Thanks, Nog!
    d87926bd02aaa4eb12e2bb0fbc1f7061.jpg
  • mhall85mhall85 Member Posts: 2,852 Arc User1
    I think it was only a bad idea FOR A PREQUEL.

It would have been a fine idea for a post-TNG show. The problem with TCW was that it was two concepts that meshed poorly when paired with a gritty prequel. Now if the show had been in the 29th century, it would have been okay.

And this game is now moving on from being a straight TNG sequel to being the prequel to Relativity. And TCW fits that better than it fits Enterprise.

Likewise, the problem with Voyager's time travel episodes wasn't that they happened or that there were so many of them: it's that they belonged more in a series about time travel. Meanwhile, nobody gets upset about Doctor Who having too much time travel (except for some serious Pertwee fans, amirite?) because that's the premise of the show. Where we're going now, time travel is the premise of "the show" not a detour like it was in Enterprise or Voyager.

No, it was a bad idea because Berman & Braga did a TRIBBLE poor job of planning-- wait, who am I kidding, they did ZERO planning. Whether it was their idea, or the studio's, or both... it was a bad idea.
    d87926bd02aaa4eb12e2bb0fbc1f7061.jpg
  • medalionemissarymedalionemissary Member Posts: 612 Arc User
    I love all the love the game is showing the Dominion... it seems in almost any universe... the Dominion are just this juggernaut of a force...
    Deep Space Nine in HD, make it so!
    gulberat wrote: »

Look at the ship that gets shot up in that video at 1:25...it has a passing resemblance to Annorax' weapon ship. Interesting that.

Oh, and this'll make the KDF side crazy: notice the Klingons are explicitly named as members of the Federation in the 29th century...

They're actually mentioned as members of the Federation in the 26th century. So, give or take a hundred years left. Maybe 190 or so.