test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Investigating [Skills Points / Spec Points and Respecing]

Comments

• kthangkthang Member Posts: 172 Arc User
    materwindu wrote: »
    I just went through my characters to get the promotion point, and landed on one of my 60s that doesn't have any reputation maxed out. I still have the skill point bug and can't spend the free spec points.

Doesn't need to be maxed as long as you're past Enhanced Rending Shots in the tree. And then you're doomed like the rest of us. :-)
  • tamujiintamujiin Member Posts: 321 Arc User
    tamujiin wrote: »

Hey good job, now show priority over your own forums, and not reddit.com. People are here to help you get the word out, that do not want to partake in that particular trollfest. 1 is enough :P
    Here's an idea. How about the devs do what they want and the players just stop telling them what to do? Sound good? If not, too bad. I am all for the devs using whatever avenue they have (even if it's Reddit) to get information out to the players.

How about the devs listen to the players, ( WHICH THEY HAVE BEEN ). and take our money... :) No where did i say they cannot use Reddit sir. Priority should be the home forums of the business though.
  • siriusmoonloresiriusmoonlore Member Posts: 15 Arc User
    edited August 2015
    Reddit is to my knowledge NOT owned by Arc/PWI/PWE/Cryptic/CBS Studios , correct me if I am wrong here , therefore , the Devs should not be posting there first as that is a 3rd party website and not the one paying them????

I myself will NOT look for official information there but here where it should be
  • borticuscrypticborticuscryptic Member Posts: 2,478 Cryptic Developer
    Also, just to be clear, this has absolutely nothing to do with the Spec Point Promo that is live today. Players are seeing it as a result of that promo, because they are unable to spend the points, but it is not the cause.

Please feel free to claim the promo, and spend the free points (if you can). If you are currently flagged as "Skills Invalid" then you will be able to spend the Spec Points after the fix goes live.
    Jeremy Randall
    Cryptic - Lead Systems Designer
    "Play smart!"
  • captainmal3captainmal3 Member Posts: 436 Arc User
    Honestly I don't care if the devs want to post on reddit. The problem comes in when information is posted there first and doesn't come here until much later, if at all.
  • pwlaughingtrendypwlaughingtrendy Member Posts: 2,966 Arc User
    Keep it civil.
  • where2r1where2r1 Member Posts: 6,054 Arc User
    Thank you for the updates. :)
    "Spend your life doing strange things with weird people." -- UNK

“Tell me and I forget. Teach me and I remember. Involve me and I learn.” -- Benjamin Franklin
  • blassreiterusblassreiterus Member Posts: 1,294 Arc User

Hey good job, now show priority over your own forums, and not reddit.com. People are here to help you get the word out, that do not want to partake in that particular trollfest. 1 is enough :P
    Here's an idea. How about the devs do what they want and the players just stop telling them what to do? Sound good? If not, too bad. I am all for the devs using whatever avenue they have (even if it's Reddit) to get information out to the players.

How about the devs listen to the players, ( WHICH THEY HAVE BEEN ). and take our money... :) No where did i say they cannot use Reddit sir. Priority should be the home forums of the business though.
    They can post wherever they wish. Trendy knows what she's doing and if she posts on Reddit first, good, if she posts here on the forums, good as well, if she posts on Facebook, Twitter, any other avenue, also good. The point is that it's good wherever she's posts information. The devs, again, do not need to listen to the players on where the information is posted. They will post wherever they feel it would be best to post (regardless of the desires of the playerbase).

Star Trek Online LTS player.
    Here how about some civility, LOVE YOU GUYS AS A TEAM, cause you guys are on top of things! You keep returning my faith in this game, every time something new has been coming out, since delta rising. Please, keep it up.
  • firekeeperhufirekeeperhu Member Posts: 416 Arc User
    Please feel free to claim the promo, and spend the free points (if you can). If you are currently flagged as "Skills Invalid" then you will be able to spend the Spec Points after the fix goes live.

ETA on the fix? Should we wait for it today or it'll come later this week?
    <3 Defiant <3

RnD and upgrade needs less RNG. Less lottery. Something has to change.
  • mhall85mhall85 Member Posts: 2,852 Arc User1
    So, I assume that playing the new FE (gaining skill points and the weekly reward box) is also not related to the bug?

Meaning, we can play the new episode without fear of losing those rewards?
    d87926bd02aaa4eb12e2bb0fbc1f7061.jpg
  • smtjtsmtjt Member Posts: 28 Arc User
    i have a question that you guys hope can ansewr why the hell are the patches are not tested in tribble.
    We are checking in a fix right now. As soon as it's validated, we're going to look at pushing it to Holodeck. This will likely require Emergency Downtime.

Here's an explanation of the issue:

When the system flags you as "Skills Invalid" it prevents adding/removing any powers to/from your Captain. This includes Skills, Traits, and Specs. It's all related to the one issue that's invalidating your skills. In the case of this particular bug, it's directly related to the Delta T4 Reputation Trait, "Enhanced Rending Shots."

The change we checked in that improved this power's performance on the server, required a small re-structure to the PowerTree related to the Delta Reputation, where when you earned T4 you are actually being given 3 powers instead of 2. One (the new one we had to add) is automatic, and doesn't require Slotting, but also does not activate on your character unless Enhanced Rending Shots is slotted. However, it the PowerTree itself was still flagged to only purchase 2 nodes within that Tier, and so when given 3 options it didn't know what to do with itself and continuously failed to meet Skill Validation.

We fixed that. Enhanced Rending Shots still has its performance improved, and the Reputation System no longer seizes up when more than 2 nodes exist within a PowerTree Tier.

Stay tuned for more information from the team on how and when this fix will be rolled out to Holodeck

Hey everyone. Borticus posted this at 10:45 AM. Then at 11:07 AM he posted it to Reddit. After posting here.
    The team is going back and forth trying to post information to as many locations as possible, as well as work on the fix itself. Stop posting inflammatory comments about how the devs don't care for their own forums when we're trying to communicate on tons of fronts. Seriously. Knock it off. End of discussion.
  • colinus#1809 colinus Member Posts: 33 Arc User
    thanks trendy
    been a gold player since may 20th 2014
    o:)
    Here how about some civility, LOVE YOU GUYS AS A TEAM, cause you guys are on top of things! You keep returning my faith in this game, every time something new has been coming out, since delta rising. Please, keep it up.
    Thank you.
  • darkthorne70darkthorne70 Member Posts: 53 Arc User
    Thanks for the info and the work fixing this issue I know not enough of us voice our appreciation at times but we do appreciate the hard work you do. so once more thank you
  • orion0029orion0029 Member Posts: 1,122 Bug Hunter
    Hey, thanks for the updates on this issue. I have several characters affected by this and appreciate that it is being looked into so soon.

Thank You.
  • siriusmoonloresiriusmoonlore Member Posts: 15 Arc User
    edited August 2015
  • lan451lan451 Member Posts: 3,386 Arc User
    Good deal.

So is there enough time to get the new FE in before the emergency maintenance happens or should I just hold off on that until its done?
    JWZrsUV.jpg
    Mine Trap Supporter
  • maxxinamaxxina Member Posts: 158 Arc User
    lan451 wrote: »
    Good deal.

So is there enough time to get the new FE in before the emergency maintenance happens or should I just hold off on that until its done?

I would wait :) But can tell you . From a story point perspective, one of the best FE they did :)

lan451 wrote: »
    Good deal.

Not sure yet. I'll post out official announcements as soon as we do have a handle on when/what maintenance we'd need.
  • comrademococomrademoco Member Posts: 1,694 Bug Hunter
    I'm currently running the FE, believe you can make it and run the FE @Ian but then again I dunno what the progress on the fix is...
    6tviTDx.png

• saurializardsaurializard Member Posts: 4,386 Arc User
    edited August 2015
    You can always start the FE and, once the server goes down, pretend someone misused the timeship but managed to fix their mistake later. :P

Though, after playing the (great) FE, something doesn't feel right. Wasn't Trendy's icon showing M'Tara juggling with a tribble?
    #TASforSTO
    Iconian_Trio_sign.jpg?raw=1
  • lan451lan451 Member Posts: 3,386 Arc User
    Ah looks like I have a new video driver to install. Guess I'll hold off for a bit and take care of that first. Thanks anyway guys. ;)
    JWZrsUV.jpg
    Mine Trap Supporter
  • bawdytieflingbawdytiefling Member Posts: 58 Arc User
    edited August 2015
    I'm dating myself here, but this entire situation (indeed, every major mistake the programmers of this game make with each launch) reminds me of the old Lily Tomlin bit where she plays phone operator Ernestine, commenting on what was then "the" phone company, especially this quote (parentheses replacing "this phone system' with "Star Trek Online":

"{Star Trek Online} consists of a multi-million dollar matrix of space age technology that is so sophisticated that even we can't handle it, but that's your problem, isn't it?"

I know you guys really aren't laughing at us behind the scenes, (or, maybe you are), but the more times an update is launched with these type of errors, the less confidence I have.

https://youtube.com/watch?v=CHgUN_95UAw

• syagriansyagrian Member Posts: 44 Arc User
    Mine says I have to respec before I can spend any specialization points, including the promotional ones.
  • blackcat1234567blackcat1234567 Member Posts: 4 Arc User
    I've just been affected by this as well, on the first day of the event. :neutral:
  • stumpfgobsstumpfgobs Member Posts: 297 Arc User
    First - yay, stuff gets fixed.
    Second - yay, free stuffz!
    Third - yay, infos about stuff!

Seems pretty solid. Thanks guys.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0 Arc User
    Gotta love it, every sign today has shown me a "New Dawn" and it is bright. Staff on top of bugs, the new content, and listening to the players! Way to go Cryptic!
This discussion has been closed.