test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Investigating [Skills Points / Spec Points and Respecing]

pwlaughingtrendypwlaughingtrendy Member Posts: 2,966 Arc User
Hey everyone,

So the team is aware of an issue that Captains are having with their skill points and specialization points. Right now, some players are getting a bug where it states that their skills are invalid and they cannot respec. We're looking into it and will update you as soon as we have more information. I'll keep ya posted.

~LaughingTrendy

Comments

• Options
    captainmal3captainmal3 Member Posts: 436 Arc User
    Well I suppose this is all we can ask for. Hope it's sorted out soon.
  • Options
    cruzistcruzist Member Posts: 163 Arc User
    Thanks for the quick response.
  • Options
    colinus#1809 colinus Member Posts: 33 Arc User
    thank you trendy how long will it take?
    been a gold player since may 20th 2014
    o:)
  • Options
    thank you trendy how long will it take?
    Debugging currently. Will give time frame when I have one.

• Options
    thanks! :) you are awesome!
  • Options
    The bug is not related to the spec points giveaway. Current speculation appears to be related to reputations. Redeeming your promotional spec points is fine and not related to the bug itself.
  • Options
    kthangkthang Member Posts: 172 Arc User
    The bug is not related to the spec points giveaway. Current speculation appears to be related to reputations. Redeeming your promotional spec points is fine and not related to the bug itself.

Does that mean it will be patched/fixed today even so? We're basically all having this.
  • Options
    hravikhravik Member Posts: 1,203 Arc User

I suspect the bug is related to our lack of ability to replicate bacon. Should probably get someone on that.
  • Options
    gameversemangameverseman Member Posts: 1,110 Arc User
    Free respecs? No?... awwwww... I will just sit tight for more info. :D
    signature.png
  • Options
    turbomagnusturbomagnus Member Posts: 3,479 Arc User
    I don't know if it will be any help to the team working on it, Trendy, but when I look at my skills window, it shows under the fifth column for 'Admiral', it shows two numbers; the first - '366,000' - if my memory is certain, is the normal amount of 'maximum' skill points that a level fifty character should have earned before they start earning Specialization Points instead...

But on two different characters (Drake@turbomagnus and R'mel@turbomagnus), the second number has been much higher - over 700,000 for Drake and 1,498,620 for R'mel... and I might be wrong, but isn't this number supposed to be the minimum necessary Skill Points to unlock Admiral-rank skills... if it's registering a much higher minimum than a player has skill points to fill, despite the fact that they already have points in those skills, that would cause a glitch in the code, wouldn't it?

The thing is... Drake is level 55, R'mel level 60... I'm not sure, but I'm thinking the amount of skill points the game is trying to claim is their minimum necessary might be related to that somehow as well...
    "If you can't take a little bloody nose, maybe you ought to go back home and crawl under your bed. It's not safe out here. It's wondrous, with treasures to satiate desires both subtle and gross; but it's not for the timid." -- Q, TNG: "Q-Who?"
    ^Words that every player should keep in mind, especially whenever there's a problem with the game...
  • Options
    It looks like it's related to reputations, but we are getting a fix checked in.
  • Options
    So from trawling through reddit (because god forbid the devs post this stuff on their official freaking forums), the bug apparently has something to do with having a certain rep maxed out (which is why only some people are being affected) and the fix when applied will fix the issue preventing people from getting new traits, like the R&D traits or ones from lockboxes.

This information should have been posted here. I don't care if these forums aren't 'friendly' enough, these are the official forums and so information like this should be posted here for the players to see. We should not have to dig through half a dozen unrelated websites to find this stuff out.
  • Options
    echattyechatty Member Posts: 5,914 Arc User
    Yeah, I have this too, and on Kal@echatty it won't even let me use my spec points. I right click and select use and it tells me I don't meet the requirements for that. Despite the fact she has quite a few specs unlocked in Pilot
    Now a LTS and loving it.
    Just because you spend money on this game, it does not entitle you to be a jerk if things don't go your way.
    I have come to the conclusion that I have a memory like Etch-A-Sketch. I shake my head and forget everything. :D
  • Options
    tamujiintamujiin Member Posts: 321 Arc User
    edited August 2015
    So from trawling through reddit (because god forbid the devs post this stuff on their official freaking forums), the bug apparently has something to do with having a certain rep maxed out (which is why only some people are being affected) and the fix when applied will fix the issue preventing people from getting new traits, like the R&D traits or ones from lockboxes.

This information should have been posted here. I don't care if these forums aren't 'friendly' enough, these are the official forums and so information like this should be posted here for the players to see. We should not have to dig through half a dozen unrelated websites to find this stuff out.

I absolutly agree, as that is some serious HS BS going on there. I just havent said anything myself about it, but yeah, you never see bortesque make comments here, but he is all over Reddit.

I hope the devs are aware that makes them right there, seem affiliated with the troll fleets in the game..... or that their actual members, who give a TRIBBLE about the game, are left out of the loop, because of the amount of commentary there, and zero here.... Even the twitter/facebook stuff.... i mean come on.

SHOW PRIDE IN YOUR OWN COMMUNITY!

EDIT: Trendy is always all over everything though, but i mean, yeah she is the only one you ever see here, and over at reddit, you have like 5 people that are staff anyway commenting on everything almost immediatly.

• Options
    geekguy79geekguy79 Member Posts: 209 Arc User
    That does kind of bother me too. I never read twitter, ever, very seldomly use facebook, and generally just don't want to search through reddit posts looking for dev comments. I expect to see all dev comments and news here on official forums where I do check.
  • Options
    borticuscrypticborticuscryptic Member Posts: 2,478 Cryptic Developer
    We are checking in a fix right now. As soon as it's validated, we're going to look at pushing it to Holodeck. This will likely require Emergency Downtime.

Here's an explanation of the issue:

When the system flags you as "Skills Invalid" it prevents adding/removing any powers to/from your Captain. This includes Skills, Traits, and Specs. It's all related to the one issue that's invalidating your skills. In the case of this particular bug, it's directly related to the Delta T4 Reputation Trait, "Enhanced Rending Shots."

The change we checked in that improved this power's performance on the server, required a small re-structure to the PowerTree related to the Delta Reputation, where when you earned T4 you are actually being given 3 powers instead of 2. One (the new one we had to add) is automatic, and doesn't require Slotting, but also does not activate on your character unless Enhanced Rending Shots is slotted. However, it the PowerTree itself was still flagged to only purchase 2 nodes within that Tier, and so when given 3 options it didn't know what to do with itself and continuously failed to meet Skill Validation.

We fixed that. Enhanced Rending Shots still has its performance improved, and the Reputation System no longer seizes up when more than 2 nodes exist within a PowerTree Tier.

Stay tuned for more information from the team on how and when this fix will be rolled out to Holodeck
    Jeremy Randall
    Cryptic - Lead Systems Designer
    "Play smart!"
  • Options
    anodynesanodynes Member Posts: 1,999 Arc User

I don't believe you. This is clearly just the first of the many unintended consequences of that blasted timeship! Skill point paradox where in this new timeline you didn't train those skills, but you are temporally shielded so you remember training those skills.
    This is an MMO, not a Star Trek episode simulator. That would make for a terrible game.
  • Options
    tamujiintamujiin Member Posts: 321 Arc User
    edited August 2015
    We are checking in a fix right now. As soon as it's validated, we're going to look at pushing it to Holodeck. This will likely require Emergency Downtime.

When the system flags you as "Skills Invalid" it prevents adding/removing any powers to/from your Captain. This includes Skills, Traits, and Specs. It's all related to the one issue that's invalidating your skills. In the case of this particular bug, it's directly related to the Delta T4 Reputation Trait, "Enhanced Rending Shots."

The change we checked in that improved this power's performance on the server, required a small re-structure to the PowerTree related to the Delta Reputation, where when you earned T4 you are actually being given 3 powers instead of 2. One (the new one we had to add) is automatic, and doesn't require Slotting, but also does not activate on your character unless Enhanced Rending Shots is slotted. However, it the PowerTree itself was still flagged to only purchase 2 nodes within that Tier, and so when given 3 options it didn't know what to do with itself and continuously failed to meet Skill Validation.

We fixed that. Enhanced Rending Shots still has its performance improved, and the Reputation System no longer seizes up when more than 2 nodes exist within a PowerTree Tier.

Stay tuned for more information from the team on how and when this fix will be rolled out to Holodeck

Hey good job, now show priority over your own forums, and not reddit.com. People are here to help you get the word out, that do not want to partake in that particular trollfest. 1 is enough :P

• Options
    comrademococomrademoco Member Posts: 1,694 Bug Hunter
    anodynes wrote: »

I don't believe you. This is clearly just the first of the many unintended consequences of that blasted timeship! Skill point paradox where in this new timeline you didn't train those skills, but you are temporally shielded so you remember training those skills.

ORLY!? post above yours borticus just thoroughly explained it was rep related.
    6tviTDx.png

• Options
    sheldonlcoopersheldonlcooper Member Posts: 4,042 Arc User
    well I don't have rending shots but I am still invalid. though all characters have finished the delta rep. Is that what makes me invalid?
    Captain Jean-Luc Picard: "We think we've come so far. Torture of heretics, burning of witches, it's all ancient history. Then - before you can blink an eye - suddenly it threatens to start all over again."

"With the first link, the chain is forged. The first speech censured, the first thought forbidden, the first freedom denied, chains us all irrevocably."

• Options
    haarddhaardd Member Posts: 27 Arc User
    anodynes wins the thread with that comment :D
    LTS4LIFE
  • Options
    jcswwjcsww Member Posts: 6,790 Arc User
    This is good news! My Delta is messed up, as he hasn't received a ship token or any respec tokens since reaching Lieutenant. This makes it incredibly hard to want to play when you want to try a new ship and the only option is to buy it.
  • Options
    kthangkthang Member Posts: 172 Arc User

Thank you for a full explanation of the issue, some of us really appreciates it. Hoping for a reboot soon, so we can start enjoying this evening. I got a four hour window, so keeping my fingers crossed that it will be fixed before then.
  • Options
    dragonseye1138dragonseye1138 Member Posts: 91 Arc User
    well I don't have rending shots but I am still invalid. though all characters have finished the delta rep. Is that what makes me invalid?

Based on what Bort said, the system is trying to slot three powers into two slots, regardless of whether or not the power is equipped. The system can't do that so it freezes up and give an error which prevents slotting of new abilities. Oddly, I can still change my equipped character and starship traits.

Q is a Magical Girl.
  • Options
    borticuscrypticborticuscryptic Member Posts: 2,478 Cryptic Developer

It doesn't matter if you're using it or not. Once you reach T4 Delta, you "have" the Trait. It only becomes active when slotted, but the system still had to attempt to add the power (in an inactive state) to your character.
    Jeremy Randall
    Cryptic - Lead Systems Designer
    "Play smart!"
  • Options
    materwindumaterwindu Member Posts: 117 Arc User
    edited August 2015
    I just went through my characters to get the promotion point, and landed on one of my 60s that doesn't have any reputation maxed out. I still have the skill point bug and can't spend the free spec points. I have to agree on the whole thing about the lack of Devs posting here. I don't like going all over to try and find out what's going on. I especially hate going to reddit.
  • Options
    Thank you for coming and talking to us about this Bort. I hope you'll continue with this and not vanish again in two days.

Ideally this information would be posted here before reddit. I have nothing against reddit, it's simply that is the official forum for the game and so it should be the first and only required stop for people looking for this information.

Glad to hear that there will be an emergency patch for it and we won't have to wait for next week. I figured that would be the case anyway but confirmation is nice.
  • Options
    blassreiterusblassreiterus Member Posts: 1,294 Arc User
    tamujiin wrote: »

Hey good job, now show priority over your own forums, and not reddit.com. People are here to help you get the word out, that do not want to partake in that particular trollfest. 1 is enough :P
    Here's an idea. How about the devs do what they want and the players just stop telling them what to do? Sound good? If not, too bad. I am all for the devs using whatever avenue they have (even if it's Reddit) to get information out to the players.

Star Trek Online LTS player.
  • Options
    thanks borticus! you and trendy fixing bugs and whatnot have helped! :)
This discussion has been closed.