test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Spotlighting Missions

Does anyone know how Cryptic selects Spotlight Missions for the Foundry?

I know that the author has to hit the submission button to be considered, but I was wondering if anyone had any insight into how the determination to spotlight is made. Does the mission have to have a certain community rating? Or does Cryptic make the selection on the basis of what they feel to be worthy?

I see that the section under the Foundry tab is labelled "Top Rated"; however, since inclusion in the list depends upon the author submitting the mission, the label is, perhaps, misleading.

Thanks!

Comments

• Options
    markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User
    Top Rated is really just a list of missions with a certain number of stars.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
  • Options
    theyredeadjimtheyredeadjim Member Posts: 243 Arc User
    Yes, I suppose I might as well remove my submission. I've been bumped out of the Hot list now, so that missions might occupy space on both lists. It's what it is.

Thanks for your reply :)
  • Options
    what submission?
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
  • Options
    I had submitted my mission, Deus In Machina, to Cryptic for their consideration for spotlighting; however, I've since withdrawn that submission.

It's all good.
  • Options
    captainhunter1captainhunter1 Member Posts: 1,627 Arc User
    edited August 2015
    Yes, I suppose I might as well remove my submission. I've been bumped out of the Hot list now, so that missions might occupy space on both lists. It's what it is.

Thanks for your reply :)

Sadly this is the fate of many good missions.

Once they fall off the list, they are never to be seen again. :(

This is because the lists are much, Much, MUCH too small (50 listings each), horribly 'weighted' so they never move, and have no easy way to see any 'unseen' missions. (see solution in sig below)

Cryptic is really doing authors, and themselves, a HUGE disservice by only allowing around 250 missions to be accessed out of over 91,000 missions created for the game when using the main Foundry interface.
  • Options
    borrowedtuneborrowedtune Member Posts: 138 Arc User
    edited August 2015
    The story goes something like this - the spotlight system was the brainchild and passion of Branflakes, a former STO community manager. Once he left his position with the company, Smirk took over and attention to spotlights quickly evaporated. It is quite clear that managing spotlights is not a priority or even a bullet point in the job description for the current community manager. There have been maybe 2 spotlights in the past 2 years and those were early on during Smirk's tenure. For all intents and purposes, the spotlight system is dead.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    Also... when Trendy took over she literally did not know anything about the system.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
  • Options
    drogyn1701drogyn1701 Member Posts: 3,606 Media Corps
    edited August 2015
    I personally never expect a new CM to take over the old one's pet projects. They come in with new ideas. Smirk's big contribution was the screenshot contest, which proved popular. Trendy hasn't really continued that, but it is being run by a player with her blessing.

Now, however, we do have a new tool to get missions noticed. Put your mission at a planet out in the 'verse ad get enough people to play it so it shows up in the top 3 system. I know from my own missions I get a ton of plays this way. It's almost a mini-spotlight.
    The Foundry Roundtable live Saturdays at 7:30PM EST/4:30PM PST on twitch.tv/thefoundryroundtable
  • Options
    johnnysnowballjohnnysnowball Member Posts: 399 Arc User
    Plus, if you spotlight a mission, you lose all ability to edit it or fix any problems that arise, and problems will arise. Bugs, broken interacts, costume hiccups, etc.
  • Options
    My mission does appear in the Top 3 system consistently, so I am still getting plays. The only people who get to see it are the ones who are in proximity to the system in which it starts, but I've now noticed that being off of the Hot list really hasn't affected the number of plays that the mission receives.

I am happy not to sign control of my mission away, but it would be nice if it could award the extra dilithium bonus. The standard 960 dilithium reward is a little shy for a mission that takes about an hour to run.

Cheers!