test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

New Featured Episode: Butterfly Effect

pwlaughingtrendypwlaughingtrendy Member Posts: 2,966 Arc User
edited August 2015 in Galactic News Network [PC]
We're proud to announce that On Thursday, August 13th, we will release Star Trek Online’s latest featured Episode, “Butterfly”, with Aron Eisenberg returning as Nog!

Read more about our episode here.

Check out the latest rewards for the episode here.

~LaughingTrendy
Post edited by pwlaughingtrendy on

Comments

• leviathan99#2867 leviathan99 Member Posts: 7,747 Arc User
    Float like a butterfly, kick over a hornet's nest!
  • mustrumridcully0mustrumridcully0 Member Posts: 12,963 Arc User
    Then I learned their weapon doesn’t just alter the timeline, it erases things from ever having existed!
    "erases things from ever having existed" doesn't seem to be right. It looks as if someone was changing the sentence around and didn't finish his work.
    "It erases things from existence" or "it stops things from ever having existed"..
    Star Trek Online Advancement: You start with lowbie gear, you end with Lobi gear.
  • solarwraithsolarwraith Member Posts: 188 Arc User
    edited August 2015
    reyan01 wrote: »
    Hope this is the one where the Iconians attack Earth.
    . . .and Kronos, New Romulus, and maybe even the Borg homeworld itself...just so it can actually look like a war.
  • cruzistcruzist Member Posts: 163 Arc User
    Yay! #PlayAFerengi
  • pwlaughingtrendypwlaughingtrendy Member Posts: 2,966 Arc User
    Float like a butterfly, sting like a chroniton torpedo.

• markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User
    Shelana?

One of the devs actually named themselves after the old Andorian tutorial Boff? :D

Sounds like this is where the alliance suddenly realizes the true horror of the weapon they have constructed and why using it is such a bad idea.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
  • daveynydaveyny Member Posts: 8,227 Arc User
    edited August 2015
    Float like a butterfly, sting like a chroniton torpedo.
    Float like a Butterfly...
    Sting like a Temporal Sledgehammer!
    https://youtu.be/OJWJE0x7T4Q
    (watch for the 'original' Iconian Sisters around the 3:40 sec mark)
    <chuckle>
    B)
    STO Member since February 2009.
    I Was A Trekkie Before It Was Cool ... Sept. 8th, 1966 ... Not To Mention Before Most Folks Around Here Were Born!
    Forever a STO Veteran-Minion
    upside-down-banana-smiley-emoticon.gif
  • tasshenatasshena Member Posts: 529 Arc User
    edited August 2015
    Shelana?

One of the devs actually named themselves after the old Andorian tutorial Boff? :D

Sounds like this is where the alliance suddenly realizes the true horror of the weapon they have constructed and why using it is such a bad idea.

I wonder how many have read the old novels at this point, because right now I wonder if a line from Diane Carey's old novel "Final Frontier" isn't appropriate.

"Showful of a might they were afraid to use". It was said in regard to the more peaceful Robert April's initial view of the original Enterprise.

I wonder if that is what the Krenim weapon will end up being tried as, or used in practice. Do a few relatively minor things to show you have the power to do them, then say "go away or the next one is the biggie, we'll wipe you from existence". Or something similar. While not having the wherewithal to actually do it, making it simply a paper tiger. Being like that wouldn't end well for the Alliance. The Iconians would either see right through it immediately, or at very least realize the galactic powers wouldn't take that risk. Especially if they've been spying all this time, on civilizations and on people.
  • tigerariestigeraries Member Posts: 3,492 Arc User
    "These rewards will include the choice of a tech upgrade or a specialization point." So every toon on the account can claim this? Or is this only the one time bonus for the account each week?
  • keletteskelettes Member Posts: 488 Arc User
    edited August 2015
    It's good to see Nog having second thoughts about it.

It would be awesome if I could have a heated debate with Quinn, chewing his ear off about even entertaining the idea of using that disaster ship. :smile:

Running simulations?

So does that mean that - based on scenarios we pick on the holodecks - the mission arrives at the same result through different vectors like the Step Between Stars mission did?

Remember, when you got different Solanae EV suits and had to go down different corridors based on your choices.

Naive me, hoping XP

Still it sounds veeery interesting :) Can't wait to see it going live.
    "Ad astra audacter eamus in alis fidelium."
    -
    "To boldly go to the stars on the wings of the faithful."
  • aliguanaaliguana Member Posts: 262 Arc User
    "will the alliance survive?"

hope not. inter-faction conflict* is FAR more interesting than "all gang up and beat generic big-bad".

* and also faction-specific stories
    LUKARI GUERILLA GARDENING MILITIA - Glowing fingers are Growing fingers!
  • thay8472thay8472 Member Posts: 6,101 Arc User
    Her fleet has taken dozens of worlds, thousands of starships, billions of lives.

So... dozens of worlds? Maybe we can... fight to keep one?
    2gdi5w4mrudm.png
    Typhoon Class please!
  • iconiansiconians Member Posts: 6,987 Arc User
    thay8472 wrote: »
    Her fleet has taken dozens of worlds, thousands of starships, billions of lives.

Well, we can save Qo'noS, Qo'noS, and Qo'noS. If you want something for a change of pace, you can always go to Qo'noS as well, and Qo'noS also has players trying to fight for saving it. As the war progressed, we were able to journey to Qo'noS for the Iconian War and stage another attack, although the Iconians counter-attacked and we were forced to defend Qo'noS as a result. This war has been pretty brutal, but in order to survive, we'll further need to attack the Iconians at Qo'noS, Qo'noS, Qo'noS, and we'll also need to deploy more ships to Qo'noS. Maybe before Season 11, we'll be able to fight for Qo'noS as well, but I guess only time will tell!
    ExtxpTp.jpg
  • thay8472thay8472 Member Posts: 6,101 Arc User
    iconians wrote: »

Well, we can save Qo'noS, Qo'noS, and Qo'noS. If you want something for a change of pace, you can always go to Qo'noS as well, and Qo'noS also has players trying to fight for saving it. As the war progressed, we were able to journey to Qo'noS for the Iconian War and stage another attack, although the Iconians counter-attacked and we were forced to defend Qo'noS as a result. This war has been pretty brutal, but in order to survive, we'll further need to attack the Iconians at Qo'noS, Qo'noS, Qo'noS, and we'll also need to deploy more ships to Qo'noS. Maybe before Season 11, we'll be able to fight for Qo'noS as well, but I guess only time will tell!

The amount of times I've done those missions... Didn't even think of Qu'noS.

Tell you what... We'll let them have Qu'noS... then we'll meet them on Otha.
    2gdi5w4mrudm.png
    Typhoon Class please!
  • saurializardsaurializard Member Posts: 4,390 Arc User
    edited August 2015
    I only hope we can make the right choices.
    Translation: During Butterfly, something will go horribly wrong (otherwise, it wouldn't be called "Butterfly" as a reference to the butterfly effect) and it'll be up to the PC to press the reset button with Nog's help.

#TASforSTO
    Iconian_Trio_sign.jpg?raw=1
  • philosopherephilosophere Member Posts: 607 Arc User
    edited August 2015
    tasshena wrote: »

I wonder how many have read the old novels at this point, because right now I wonder if a line from Diane Carey's old novel "Final Frontier" isn't appropriate.

"Showful of a might they were afraid to use". It was said in regard to the more peaceful Robert April's initial view of the original Enterprise.

Not to derail the thread, but that is a great novel, and one I would love seen made into a movie. :)
    Are we there yet?
  • tunebreakertunebreaker Member Posts: 1,222 Arc User
    Just when I finished Life Is Strange (a game where butterflies and butterfly effects are very important in plot) and was left with messed up brain, I see this in STO...
  • risian4risian4 Member Posts: 3,711 Arc User
    edited August 2015
    Surely the Iconians must have noticed the existence of this facility by now? The entire allied fleet was located there, and they were patrolling this system before we made the entire planet reappear again.

We're building the only weapon that has a chance of defeating the Iconians there, and instead of targeting this facility with everything they've got, they're attacking freighters, billions of people and mythical planets that are now said to be in ruins but nowhere to be found on the map?

Well I suppose it's a nice story. Too bad there's no trace of it to be found in the game itself.

No, I don't like my criticism either but it's becoming very difficult to buy this story when the in-game events differ so much from the storyline and the Tales of the war blogs.
  • raxicoricoraxicorico Member Posts: 58 Arc User
    Last week I finally hit lvl 60, and I had a chance to run the missions I had missed (all the lvl 60 ones from halfway through the delta rising to House Peng). I feel that in many respects seeing the story of the Iconians from the perspective I did only reenforces the impressions I have felt about the Iconians coming in from House Peng. Doing the stories I missed only provided the facts to prove my impressions right.

They have no respect for life other than their own. They kill and show no mercy or remorse- forget genocide. It's pure mindless omnicide that they want (to quote Dr Soong in the TNG novel I was reading yesterday). They seek nothing but the total obliteration of other races and see them all as inferior and worthless. That is a dangerous mindset to have and as totally horrid as one can get.

Frankly it reminds me of our real human past in any political situation where genocide has happened and countless innocent people have been murdered due to the same wrong ideology and motivations that drove those horrid forces.

When a person has become so blinded by beliefs such as this, history has shown there is no negotiation unfortunately. To say negotiation was possible, for example such as Nog does in the log above- is so very sadly naive :(

There was no choice for the Alliance of lifeforms from the Milkyway galaxy. They never had one. Not when the Iconians want total annihilation of all other life. Not once have we seen compassion or empathy from the Iconians. They took first blood when they need not have- with the deaths of the Klingon High Council and in doing so they concreted their pitiful excuse of an intent instead of having the better morality we would expect of such advanced enlightened beings. We also need to remember that they have been planning the demise of life in the galaxy for a very long time- far longer than most of the races of the galaxy have been 'civilised'.

It's shameful that a society such as the Iconians can get to that position, and we should be so fortunate to remember that this is a game and not real life- but in saying that, we should take a moment and be mindful to remember the lessons of our real past and know where a lot of this material is both consciously and unconsciously drawing inspiration from- to be sure that the mistakes of the past don't repeat as they too often have and be thankful the Iconians are just part of a narrative providing societal discourse rather then reporting the events of a real life war.
  • dkeith2011dkeith2011 Member Posts: 595 Arc User
    I'm guessing the Lab is still temporally phased and we simply have the tech to match the phase for access.
  • freakiumfreakium Member Posts: 426 Arc User
    Just when I finished Life Is Strange (a game where butterflies and butterfly effects are very important in plot) and was left with messed up brain, I see this in STO...

That's one hella crazy coincidence!
    m12Pkoj.png
  • c0nsic0nsi Member Posts: 76 Arc User
    risian4 wrote: »
    Surely the Iconians must have noticed the existence of this facility by now? The entire allied fleet was located there, and they were patrolling this system before we made the entire planet reappear again.

We're building the only weapon that has a chance of defeating the Iconians there, and instead of targeting this facility with everything they've got, they're attacking freighters, billions of people and mythical planets that are now said to be in ruins but nowhere to be found on the map?

Thats because of our other secret weapon, the Plot Hole Device. The Alliance is using it since the War has startet...and as you see...it's super effective :P
  • galattgalatt Member Posts: 707 Arc User
    This is where things go south so far that we start heading north again
    sig_picture_resize_by_gx_9901-db9d1v1.png
  • iconiansiconians Member Posts: 6,987 Arc User
    risian4 wrote: »
    Surely the Iconians must have noticed the existence of this facility by now?

I have noticed the existance of the facility, and don't call me Shirley.

BDMbd9R.jpg
    ExtxpTp.jpg
  • origcaptainquackorigcaptainquack Member Posts: 614 Arc User
    why not get Q to help fight the Iconians?
  • markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User
    raxicorico wrote: »
    Last week I finally hit lvl 60, and I had a chance to run the missions I had missed (all the lvl 60 ones from halfway through the delta rising to House Peng). I feel that in many respects seeing the story of the Iconians from the perspective I did only reenforces the impressions I have felt about the Iconians coming in from House Peng. Doing the stories I missed only provided the facts to prove my impressions right.

They have no respect for life other than their own. They kill and show no mercy or remorse- forget genocide. It's pure mindless omnicide that they want (to quote Dr Soong in the TNG novel I was reading yesterday). They seek nothing but the total obliteration of other races and see them all as inferior and worthless. That is a dangerous mindset to have and as totally horrid as one can get.

Frankly it reminds me of our real human past in any political situation where genocide has happened and countless innocent people have been murdered due to the same wrong ideology and motivations that drove those horrid forces.

When a person has become so blinded by beliefs such as this, history has shown there is no negotiation unfortunately. To say negotiation was possible, for example such as Nog does in the log above- is so very sadly naive :(

There was no choice for the Alliance of lifeforms from the Milkyway galaxy. They never had one. Not when the Iconians want total annihilation of all other life. Not once have we seen compassion or empathy from the Iconians. They took first blood when they need not have- with the deaths of the Klingon High Council and in doing so they concreted their pitiful excuse of an intent instead of having the better morality we would expect of such advanced enlightened beings. We also need to remember that they have been planning the demise of life in the galaxy for a very long time- far longer than most of the races of the galaxy have been 'civilised'.

It's shameful that a society such as the Iconians can get to that position, and we should be so fortunate to remember that this is a game and not real life- but in saying that, we should take a moment and be mindful to remember the lessons of our real past and know where a lot of this material is both consciously and unconsciously drawing inspiration from- to be sure that the mistakes of the past don't repeat as they too often have and be thankful the Iconians are just part of a narrative providing societal discourse rather then reporting the events of a real life war.
    Technologically advanced and enlightened are two very different things.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
  • gameleechgameleech Member Posts: 58 Arc User
    so can we erase the time since the queues died and go back to the way things were?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • seriousxenoseriousxeno Member Posts: 473 Arc User
    raxicorico wrote: »

Great post. To me, Star Trek taught me that diplomacy and reason should always be the first tool to use in most difficulty situations (prevent escalation).

Even though while Star Trek "teaches" this, there have been cases in canon where negotiations led nowhere or less than favorable results.

- The Cardassian demilitarized zone was a diplomatic compromise. It led to a war between settlers and I don't fault them. The Cardassians at times come across more ruthless and brutal than the worst Tal Shiar interrogators. If it wasn't for people like Damar, the Cardassians would have remained hostiles. Negotiations with Cardassians is like Russian roulette.

- The Borg cannot be reasoned with, even Q said this. The only time they agree to seize attacks is, if the deal is good for them. Immediately after that, they revert back to business as usual. The only way I can ever see the Borg change their ways is a drastic re-programming/hacking of their primary directive. They won't change volunteeringly.

- Species 8472 (Undine). They hate our guts and I don't blame them. However, their reaction to being invaded by 1 civilization (Borg) was reason enough to start a quadrant-wide annihilation campaign that was meant to eventually wipe out the entire milky way galaxy... talk about overreaction! To be fair, some of them seemed to be able to listen to reason (the Boothby imposter comes to mind).

And finally now, the Iconians. They want to wipe out everything as well, but they literally have no reason we know of. They just show up, kick your TRIBBLE to oblivion and move on to kick some more.

So here are some of the charges against them:

- 200.000something years ago, the powers of the galaxy hated the Iconians enough to devastate their planet, driving them into exile.

- They killed the Klingon High Council as a "warning".

- They committed genocide on their own creators by annihilating the presevers and their archive.

- They remove entire planets from the star map to build more ships.

- They use their servitors Elachi and Solanae to "harvest" people to make even more Elachi troops.

- They manipulate powerful civilizations to fight for them, like when they used fake ships to aggravate Species 8472 or when they gave technology to the parasite-infested Vaadwaur to commit widespread destruction, not to mention causing the Romulans blow up their own solar system.

- Attack Earth via a staged Undine attack.

- Attack Quonos twice, first via a staged attack through the Undine and then themselves.

- Attack New Romulus to gain control of a gateway.

They planned this for 200.000 years and not once seemed to have second thoughts. They cannot be reasoned with, ever. I'm concerned about the Krenim weapon too and don't think its the right thing to do. But honestly? I can't think of anything else.

I guess the big question is:

Would you wanna sit by a table with these guys to talk?

latest?cb=20090525051807&path-prefix=en
    "Let them eat static!"
  • mustrumridcully0mustrumridcully0 Member Posts: 12,963 Arc User

Well, considering that we are playing a specific Captain/Admiral in the story of Star Trek Online, maybe we are playing hte guy that played a crucial role in the defense of Qo'noS? Other Captains that we can't play have crucial roles on other worlds.

If I could be everywhere at once in the galaxy, I am sure I would have already defeated the Iconians. My track record is pretty good.
    Star Trek Online Advancement: You start with lowbie gear, you end with Lobi gear.
  • sunfranckssunfrancks Member Posts: 3,925 Arc User

Man, that made my insides hurt from laughter!

Please, Cryptic, do not let us use the Krenim time ship to erase anything from time!

It is such a sellout ending.... even for you guys!

Fed: Eng Lib Borg (Five) Tac Andorian (Shen) Sci Alien/Klingon (Maelrock) KDF:Tac Romulan KDF (Sasha) Tac Klingon (K'dopis)
    Founder, member and former leader to Pride Of The Federation Fleet.
    What I feel after I hear about every decision made since Andre "Mobile Games Generalisimo" Emerson arrived...
    3oz8xC9gn8Fh4DK9Q4.gif