test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Should Polls Be Eliminated From the Forums?

salazarrazesalazarraze Member Posts: 3,794 Arc User
Also State your reasons in a post if you like.
When you see "TRIBBLE" in my posts, it's because I manually typed "TRIBBLE" and censored myself.

Should Polls Be Eliminated From the Forums? 86 votes

Yes
31%
belidosspyralpegacyonvivenneanthonypsyman87crypticarmsmanjosan369meimeitooarliekkoslizardglennlordprotiusspacehermitfraghul2000lindaleffanazondasalazarrazeliantheliasthraxpweblakes7tvseriesatomicbeecancru5her 27 votes
No
68%
kirimuffinreiklingraiderforthegamerrooster707duncanidaho11midniteshadow7sekritagentcaptainoblivouskhamseenairjodarkriderprotogothgulberattinead51hawku001xdaniela1055thestargazereyan01kjwashingtonmeldrithpwkitsunesnout 59 votes

Comments

• thegrandnagus1thegrandnagus1 Member Posts: 5,165 Arc User
    edited August 2015
    The problem is not polls, but a lack of self control. If you don't like polls, don't click on them. It's really just that simple. But if you don't like polls, yet still click on them anyway, then that means you have a lack of self control. That is a personal problem that you will have to deal with, but not a reason for anyone to change anything about this forum.

The-Grand-Nagus

og9Zoh0.jpg
  • ltminnsltminns Member Posts: 12,569 Arc User
    Be afraid, be very afraid. Polls about Polls have been Closed in the past.
    'But to be logical is not to be right', and 'nothing' on God's earth could ever 'make it' right!'
    Judge Dan Haywood
    'As l speak now, the words are forming in my head.
    l don't know.
    l really don't know what l'm about to say, except l have a feeling about it.
    That l must repeat the words that come without my knowledge.'
    Lt. Philip J. Minns
  • kittyflofykittyflofy Member Posts: 1,004 Arc User
    edited August 2015
    Yes
    The problem is not polls, but a lack of self control. If you don't like polls, don't click on them. It's really just that simple. But if you don't like polls, yet still click on them anyway, then that means you have a lack of self control. That is a personal problem that you will have to deal with, but not a reason for anyone to change anything about this forum.

That is not the problem. The problem is dozens of people making useless and/or incomplete polls. I myself really dont care too much it is not something that is really problematic (it seems that the quantity lowered in the last weeks) i only wish people will make "better" polls.
    Post edited by kittyflofy on
    edited August 2015
    kittyflofy wrote: »

That is not the problem.

Of course it is. If someone doesn't like polls, or doesn't want to read a poll thread, they have the option *not* to click on it. If they choose to do so anyway, knowing they are bothered by polls, that is their own fault, not the person who posted it.

Also, I just checked the first 5 pages of the forum, and besides this thread there are only 2 other polls. So not only are there *not* a lot of polls, but people have the option *not* to click on them.

The-Grand-Nagus

og9Zoh0.jpg
  • cidjackcidjack Member Posts: 2,017 Arc User

That is not the problem.

Of course it is. If someone doesn't like polls, or doesn't want to read a poll thread, they have the option *not* to click on it. If they choose to do so anyway, knowing they are bothered by polls, that is their own fault, not the person who posted it.

Also, I just checked the first 5 pages of the forum, and besides this thread there are only 2 other polls. So not only are there *not* a lot of polls, but people have the option *not* to click on them.

Man has a point, the only reason I came here was to see what the grandnagus wrote, I did not vote in the poll.
    Armada: Multiplying fleet projects in need of dilithium by 13."
    95bced8038c91ec6f880d510e6fd302f366a776c4c5761e5f7931d491667a45e.jpgvia Imgflip Meme Generator
  • lsegnlsegn Member Posts: 594 Arc User
    No
    cidjack wrote: »

That is not the problem.

Man has a point, the only reason I came here was to see what the grandnagus wrote, I did not vote in the poll.

I voted no just out of spite... ;)
  • gofasternowgofasternow Member Posts: 1,390 Arc User
    No
    dXtOUIUunTKUXmuDsKiAAzCCAnESItr4z5eLIJBjhvMlXM9tscqYQ6imUrOpEBm4.jpg

Honestly, I just wanted an excuse to use this picture.

On the other hand, though, that I don't mind polls; I mind one-sided polls.
  • rattler2rattler2 Member Posts: 58,005 Community Moderator
    No
    The only reason the ability to make polls was used a lot right after the forum migration was because we were finally able to make our own polls. It was a new shiny. As time went on, that shiny lost its shiny and its back to business as usual.
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
  • lianthelialianthelia Member Posts: 7,823 Arc User
    Yes

Having the greatest discipline in the world doesn't stop that little poll tag from appearing every third post like it has been some days...
  • comrademococomrademoco Member Posts: 1,694 Bug Hunter
    edited August 2015

What Nagus said...

I personally don't have a problem with polls, is just that people went way too out of hand with them, to the point where people have to create a poll to ask about polls... mouse-9.giftiger-9.giftiger-10.gif
    ​​
    6tviTDx.png

lianthelia wrote: »

Having the greatest discipline in the world doesn't stop that little poll tag from appearing every third post like it has been some days...

If you don't like polls, that little tag tells you what *not* to click on. So I'm not seeing what the problem is.

The-Grand-Nagus

og9Zoh0.jpg
  • comrademococomrademoco Member Posts: 1,694 Bug Hunter
    how much we wanna start betting *mentally* this thread is going for a lock soon??? tiger-1.gif​​
    6tviTDx.png

• tempus64tempus64 Member Posts: 806 Arc User
    My vote would be other. Ban users who make polls about polls. Wasn't doing this actually a no no?
  • artan42artan42 Member Posts: 10,450 Bug Hunter
    You forgot the option for 'sod off with meta polls'. ​​
    22762792376_ac7c992b7c_o.png
    Norway and Yeager dammit... I still want my Typhoon and Jupiter though.
    JJ Trek The Kelvin Timeline is just Trek and it's fully canon... get over it. But I still prefer TAR.

#TASforSTO

'...I can tell you that we're not in the military and that we intend no harm to the whales.' Kirk: The Voyage Home
    'Starfleet is not a military organisation. Its purpose is exploration.' Picard: Peak Performance
    'This is clearly a military operation. Is that what we are now? Because I thought we were explorers!' Scotty: Into Darkness
    '...The Federation. Starfleet. We're not a military agency.' Scotty: Beyond
    'I'm not a soldier anymore. I'm an engineer.' Miles O'Brien: Empok Nor
    '...Starfleet could use you... It's a peacekeeping and humanitarian armada...' Admiral Pike: Star Trek

Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
  • rakija879rakija879 Member Posts: 646 Arc User
    Also State your reasons in a post if you like.

While we are at it, lets make a new one to decide if you should get a ban for making stupid polls.
  • sovereign47sovereign47 Member Posts: 399 Arc User
    No
    I'm going with no. Yes, there were a lot of them some time earlier when we switched to these forums, but now they come in lesser quantity. It would be best thing to create a special sub-forum for polls only so people who don't like them could avoid them very easily and people who do would know where to go.
    FED ENG: FA Sirius Verax (USS Leviathan) , FED TAC (Delta): FA Adria Tyllex (USS Thunderblade) , ROM TAC: ADM Kill'ina (IRW Imperix Thrai) , KLING ENG (Delta): LT. GEN Ghol'Vaq Martok (IKS Qeh'Ral II) - 44th Fleet member
    SZ1RgUL.jpg
    SUPPORTING PLAYABLE CARDASSIAN AND DOMINION FACTIONS!
    edited August 2015
    Yes

That is not the problem.

THE only problem was that the forums started to be filled with stupid and useless polls. That was the only problem all the time. Not that people want or dont want to "click" lol.

If people dont have a clue how to make a decent poll, they should skip it instead giving us dumb options and an incomplete poll.
  • belidosbelidos Member Posts: 452 Arc User
    edited August 2015
    Yes

That is not the problem.

True, but they don't have the option to filter out all of the useless, badly written, poorly thought up, biased and down right nonsensical polls in broken engrish, you can't always tell form the title whether it's a poll that's worth reading, and once you've clicked that link and read it you can't unread it. I'm happy to vote on polls if they're worth it, but so far they've been nothing but useless dross and a waste of my time.

Get rid of polls or at least heavily moderate them I say, polls should go into a limbo state where they have to be approved by a moderator before they become visible and there should be a strict set of rules governing them.
  • tacofangstacofangs Member Posts: 2,951 Cryptic Developer
    No
    It was abused in the first couple weeks, but seems to be much better now.
    Having polls isn't the issue (the old forums had polls, you know)
    Only YOU can prevent forum fires!
    19843299196_235e44bcf6_o.jpg
  • artan42artan42 Member Posts: 10,450 Bug Hunter
    tacofangs wrote: »

Did it!? I don't remember any.
    22762792376_ac7c992b7c_o.png
    Norway and Yeager dammit... I still want my Typhoon and Jupiter though.
    JJ Trek The Kelvin Timeline is just Trek and it's fully canon... get over it. But I still prefer TAR.

#TASforSTO

'...I can tell you that we're not in the military and that we intend no harm to the whales.' Kirk: The Voyage Home
    'Starfleet is not a military organisation. Its purpose is exploration.' Picard: Peak Performance
    'This is clearly a military operation. Is that what we are now? Because I thought we were explorers!' Scotty: Into Darkness
    '...The Federation. Starfleet. We're not a military agency.' Scotty: Beyond
    'I'm not a soldier anymore. I'm an engineer.' Miles O'Brien: Empok Nor
    '...Starfleet could use you... It's a peacekeeping and humanitarian armada...' Admiral Pike: Star Trek

Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
    Yes
    artan42 wrote: »
    tacofangs wrote: »

Did it!? I don't remember any.

I cant remember either lol.
    edited August 2015
    Yes
    Yes it did, but we couldn't use them, you had to have certain permissions to create polls.
    edited August 2015
    Yes
    double post
  • mosul33mosul33 Member Posts: 836 Arc User
    Yes
    lsegn wrote: »
    cidjack wrote: »

That is not the problem.

I voted no just out of spite... ;)

I voted Yes out of spite lol

But yeah, joking aside, on most of other forums, polls are disabled and only allowed if asked an admin/mod about it.
  • asdfjkadfjkasfasdfjkadfjkasf Member Posts: 345 Media Corps
    No
    I like polls, they are nice and easy to vote in, don't always have to comment to have an opinion!
  • crusader2007crusader2007 Member Posts: 1,797 Arc User
    No
    I love polls about polls monkey-47.gif​​
    DUwNP.gif

• pwlaughingtrendypwlaughingtrendy Member Posts: 2,966 Arc User
    No.

/thread
  • gulberatgulberat Member Posts: 5,505 Arc User
    No
    The novelty seems to have worn off, as I expected it would, so they are not being spammed constantly. It doesn't bother me unless people start flaming each other or make a poll with insulting options. And that IMO can be handled under existing rules, and not some sort of poll restriction.

Christian Gaming Community Fleets--Faith, Fun, and Fellowship! See the website and PM for more. :-)
    Proudly F2P.  Signature image by gulberat. Avatar image by balsavor.deviantart.com.
  • taylor1701dtaylor1701d Member Posts: 3,099 Arc User
    John Diefenbaker, former Canadian prime minister once said;
    "Dogs know best what to do with polls."

[img][/img]OD5urLn.jpg
This discussion has been closed.