test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Adding a grid to the sector map

knightnbluknightnblu Member Posts: 104 Arc User
Now that we have sectors arranged in a grid, I would very much appreciate it if numbers could be added to the X,Y axis in order to designate specific grids. This suggestion occurred to me as I was playing a fleet event and we had difficulty in specifying and identifying a specific grid to go to in order to engage targets. It would have been so much easier to say, "Go to grid 3,2, and enter the XYZ system." You look at the Y axis and find 3, then proceed to they X axis and move to the second sector on the map. Now all you have to do is locate the system. Which you could easily do by further defining the coordinates. That would save the players a ton of headache and wasted time by limiting confusion.

Thanks in advance for your consideration of this request.

Comments

• Options
    daveynydaveyny Member Posts: 8,227 Arc User
    edited July 2015
    Each Sector is named...
    Why not just say... go to such-and-such sector?
    Or if one needs to be more specific, go to the middle (or left/right/top/bottom) of such-and-such sector?
    STO Member since February 2009.
    I Was A Trekkie Before It Was Cool ... Sept. 8th, 1966 ... Not To Mention Before Most Folks Around Here Were Born!
    Forever a STO Veteran-Minion
    upside-down-banana-smiley-emoticon.gif
  • Options
    Because we tried that, and not being fully familiar with all of the sector names and their locations, you have to hunt for it. That's like not being fully aware of the QWERTY layout of the keyboard and hunting and pecking. It takes too much time that way. It is far easier, in my opinion, to provide a grid system. Any RL map you look at has a coordinate system, why doesn't this one?
  • Options
    seriousdaveseriousdave Member Posts: 2,777 Arc User
    You can also just switch to the sector list, where systems are alphabetically listed, and just turn you autopilot on.
    It really can't get easier than point & click.
  • Options
    You can also just switch to the sector list, where systems are alphabetically listed, and just turn you autopilot on.
    It really can't get easier than point & click.

That is one way, and I wish that I had thought of it. But I didn't because I don't use that feature all that often. However, show me a RL map without such a coordinate system and I will show you a useless piece of paper. It is far simpler to just reference the grid and specify a location and you just look at the map and go, "Oh, I see it." And then you go there. What is so hard about that? I am not saying that the system list isn't useful, but a grid is far easier to use and far quicker in my opinion, and it should have been included from the get go.
  • Options
    rarebear1rarebear1 Member Posts: 118 Arc User
    I would like to see the Bearing and Mark system put in.
    Proud Trekkie Favorite episode from TOS is The Doomsday Machine TNG: Yesterday's Enterprise VOY: Endgame part 1 and 2 DS9: Emissary ENT: Assmilation